WestWindReborn

Breeder's notes

So, while discussing changes to the description process, I came up with an idea. (Well I sorta half stole it from the conversation, but I came up with the details xd.png)

So, Caretaker's Notes.

It would function as a small description, displayed on the scroll beneath the name and code, with possible extra filter functions to select those with/without notes or those with/without specific notes. It would be limited to, say, 50 characters - enough to allow such things as '5th gen Nebbie/Gold Tinsel Joined Stair' (which is about 35) but not as long as a regular description.

Random things about them:

- They are visible only to the owner of the scroll/dragons.

- Because of above, they would be insta-approved with no necessary filtering. Even if someone wants to put censorkip.gif* Only censoring part of the word is considered censor evasion. in a dragon's notes (as an example), it wouldn't be a problem because only they can see it. If they think it's funny, and it isn't visible to anyone else... what's the problem?

- The intention of this is to allow breeding, lineage or mate notes to be easily visible. I know I'd love it if I could see at a glance which Whiptails were CB, for my ongoing Olive spiral. However, I'm sure it could be used to write description ideas or really anything a user thought was cool to put there.

- They would be available on any dragon's action page, along with the things like Describe, Name and Kill.

- Any sprite can be given notes, including non-dragons and eggs. After all, they're small pieces of information; I know I'd write them as soon as I got a nice egg, and there's no RP reason why you can't write notes about an egg's lineage.

- This is in addition to regular descriptions, NOT an intended replacement. Hopefully it'll clear out (some) description spam wink.gif

Please share any thoughts, comments or reservations you have on this!

((I seem to recall a thread similar to this one... But I thought this deserved its own thread instead of being a different idea on a thread about descriptions.))

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I would really love this. It would be just enough to make note of a dragon's gen within its breeding project~

Honestly this sounds pretty useful to me. Being able to note what gen my dragons are is by itself a huge boon, and I can easily find shorthand for anything else I need to know.

I wouldn't use it, I have to say - I have a database with all the details I need... It makes it faster to check two dragons than finding them on scroll - the codes are right there so I can go straight to them.

I'd love this. Right now, we need to keep all kind of breeding information separate, like in excel sheets. Additionally, I'd love to see this information on the breeding page, directly beneath the dragon. And allow for one or several links to show the optimal mates for this dragon.

Oooh! Yes please. thumbs_up.png

I don't think I'd use it, personally and would just stick to descriptions, but if this was implemented in addition to normal descriptions, it would cut down on the number of "This is my first dragon!!11!", "4th gen PB Sunset", "Mate to (so-and-so)", etc. descriptions that keep popping up in the reviewing queue. At least I'd like to hope so. (:

This would be really useful, especially (for me) to make notes on eggs/hatchlings about lineage, gender required, and where I am planning on putting them. Most other info I have on a spreadsheet already, and name/placement on scroll is a big clue for me, but small notes would be great!

The limit of 50 characters would make this pretty useless to me.

50 characters is actually quite a substantial amount. For the purposes I imagined it being used for - noting lineage/gen - I can't think of anything that would exceed that limit, unless someone doesn't like the shorthand. The example I used in the OP was pretty much the longest lineage note I could think of, and it was still only around 35 characters - enough to tag something else on if needed.

I'm glad to see how many positive comments this has! If anyone has any suggestions or improvements, please do say so.

And yes, this is in addition to regular descriptions, not a replacement. Sorry for not stating that in the OP. (Adding it now.)