WestWindReborn

Breeder's notes

I've been breeding things more than i used to, usually metallics or stripes, but others too. now, i have a thing for matching linages. even-even, stairstep-invert stairstep, and so on. i've got like 600+ dragons and it get tedious having to go through and click on them and then check their lineage. especially if you can't remember what dragons it bred with but didn't produce anything/wasn't interested. so what i was thinking, on the actions page we could have a little text box like the description box. we'd be able to type in notes like:

'only breed with 2gen whites (whitexnocturne)'

"CB , breed with cb greens"

'4gen even, has *insert dragon types here*'

'inbred, don't breed with clean lineages'

then just hit a save button and people won't have to label dragons using their names if they don't like to do that. the dialog box would only need 200-300 characters at the least since really extensive notes probably wouldn't be be need. time saver since you only have to load one page, even better for people with slower computers and it could make it quicker for people with tons of dragons that are used in multiple breeding projects.

Suggest for a little more obvious placement:

So, while discussing changes to the description process, I came up with an idea. (Well I sorta half stole it from the conversation, but I came up with the details xd.png)

So, Caretaker's Notes.

It would function as a small description, displayed on the scroll beneath the name and code, with possible extra filter functions to select those with/without notes or those with/without specific notes. It would be limited to, say, 50 characters - enough to allow such things as '5th gen Nebbie/Gold Tinsel Joined Stair' (which is about 35) but not as long as a regular description.

Random things about them:

- They are visible only to the owner of the scroll/dragons.

- Because of above, they would be insta-approved with no necessary filtering. Even if someone wants to put censorkip.gif* Only censoring part of the word is considered censor evasion. in a dragon's notes (as an example), it wouldn't be a problem because only they can see it. If they think it's funny, and it isn't visible to anyone else... what's the problem?

- The intention of this is to allow breeding, lineage or mate notes to be easily visible. I know I'd love it if I could see at a glance which Whiptails were CB, for my ongoing Olive spiral. However, I'm sure it could be used to write description ideas or really anything a user thought was cool to put there.

- They would be available on any dragon's action page, along with the things like Describe, Name and Kill.

- Any sprite can be given notes, including non-dragons and eggs. After all, they're small pieces of information; I know I'd write them as soon as I got a nice egg, and there's no RP reason why you can't write notes about an egg's lineage.

- This is in addition to regular descriptions, NOT an intended replacement. Hopefully it'll clear out (some) description spam wink.gif

Please share any thoughts, comments or reservations you have on this!

((I seem to recall a thread similar to this one... But I thought this deserved its own thread instead of being a different idea on a thread about descriptions.))

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

That could be really helpful, I like that. Sure, we can keep notes outside DC, but it would be handy to have it available right on site.

I can see this as being very helpful. I have currently named all my even gen dragons with i, ii, iii, iv, etc after their names to indicate generations, but I am not really happy with that solution. There are other notes that it would be helpful to make, too. I do keep some breeding notes off site, but it would be really nice to have them all right there when you go to breed.

I like the idea. It'd be helpful in keeping track which dragons don't want to mate with each other and which ones will. :3

I like the idea. It'd be helpful in keeping track which dragons don't want to mate with each other and which ones will. :3

There is no need to keep track of refusals. Any dragon that refuses to breed with another dragon is automatically removed from each other's list of potential mates the next time you attempt to breed either dragon again.

This idea kind of hit at what you're going at, but this would be a lot easier for people. x3

I'm indifferent, though, as I don't think I'd use it myself. :3

This suggestion. I want it.

I try to keep track of things in excel for the most part but having a per dragon on site reminder for my scatterbrain would be incredibly helpful. X___x

I would love this. It would make breeding much easier. Got my full support.

I dont think I have anything against the idea, but its not particularly useful to me.

I name in pairs, and when im unsure of the pairing, I check the progeny to see which pairing i bred most with. I dont break my own pairings up all that often, and since the ones you breed most with show up at the top on the breed page.. its never really been something I have thought about.

Most of my dragons are paired on my scroll and only switch if I need to work around a rejection, but this'd still save me some worry and quadruple checking, and I'd breed my neat lineaged BSAs more often for the AP if we had it.

I'll support, I'd use it extensively. I've forgotten the number of times I've gone "Wait did I try them?" while they are on cooldown. Or "Didn't they refuse?" while they are still on cooldown from the refusal. Having the ability to make a quick note that this dragon did, indeed, refuse x dragon and I need to replace it would be nice. And other notes.

Or even a general note-pad for just the scroll owner to see, that would be useful too.

Cheers!

C4.

I posted supporting this earlier and it still has my support, but I am assuming (and hoping) that it would be visible only to the scroll owner?

I like this idea. Sounds like something that could be useful for breeders. I keep notes on doc files, and some stuff written down in notebooks, but this type of solution would simplify everything for me.

I support this suggestion. Dragons with lineages past 3rd gen start to get a bit fuzzy if I don't breed them often, so notes would be appreciated.

As long as this notes are only visible to the scroll owner it has my fullhearted support. I can also keep a beautiful pocket book, maybe with a nice dragon decorated as my breeding book at my desktop but you should take a look at my table here. rolleyes.giflaugh.gifwink.gif This pocket book has to be made of sapient pearwood and likes me. wink.gif

Have all my yes! I would love to see this idea in the cave! biggrin.gif

I don't think it should be visible to other people, but for thw owner it would make stuff like breeding and keeping record a lot easier :3

I use my dragons names to remeber which have nice lineages and which are CBs, but it is still a tedious work to remember some of all that info dry.gif

I'd love this!

I've got a spreadsheet for my huge lineage projects that really need it to keep them straight, but that would be way too much work to keep straight for all of my dragons. A little notes section would be perfect for non-project dragons.

I would probably use this. I don't have time for a spreadsheet (tried, constantly failed to update) and my notes are scattered everywhere. To have something in-cave (not on the forums, in the cave itself) would be useful to me. smile.gif

Yes yes yes! I think this idea is absolutely perfect, honestly (as long as notes are only visible to a scroll owner). It's super difficult for me to keep track of my 300+ dragons and such without such an aid, and even the word doc I do use is very sparsely updated and worked for maybe a week before I constantly kept forgetting to update it. XP

You have 90% of my support. I love the idea, and it would definitely save trawling through pages of dragons looking at lineages. (this has just become a problem for me, as previously I just remembered the names, but I now have 199 adult dragons and it's a little difficult to remember that many and their lineages.)

However, it would be just as easy to get a notebook of some kind, IRL, and note down '*name* - *lineage* in it and skim for the note you want.

Would this text replace the name in the 'Breed' action, or would it appear under the name, or would it appear somewhere else? I imagine it would probably be under the name, but it could replace it.

Also, if you have no notes on a dragon, will an empty space appear or will it say 'no breeding notes' like it says 'unnamed' if you haven't submitted a name? Perhaps this note could be a different colour, to make it extra-obvious.

You have 90% of my support. I love the idea, and it would definitely save trawling through pages of dragons looking at lineages. (this has just become a problem for me, as previously I just remembered the names, but I now have 199 adult dragons and it's a little difficult to remember that many and their lineages.)

However, it would be just as easy to get a notebook of some kind, IRL, and note down '*name* - *lineage* in it and skim for the note you want.

Quite honestly - I have it all in a spread sheet - and it's so much quicker just running a "find" for gold x magi and whatever than it would be clicking breeders' notes for each dragon. I don't not support this, as clearly some people want it - but I so don't care xd.png

I think this is a great idea.

I'm a very visual person so I like using google docs(because I can change the background colours) to keep track of my lineages, which so far all have lineage specific names(so I don't accidentally breed them with other dragons), but I still think I would use this to some extent.

Quite honestly - I have it all in a spread sheet - and it's so much quicker just running a "find" for gold x magi and whatever than it would be clicking breeders' notes for each dragon. I don't not support this, as clearly some people want it - but I so don't care xd.png

I actually agree with this. Especially since spread sheets allow you to also input the url as an active link, finding each mate is not that hard and if anything more efficient. Writing it down is harder but spreadsheets allow you that CTRL + F function so its not that hard. With the adition of live links all you have to do is find the pair on your spread sheet, opening each page in a different tab, breeding them, and updating their info on the spreadsheet.

Having this on the dragons page would only be useful for notes you could already have on your spread sheet like "Refused to breed mm/dd/yy with mate x" So I agree with fuzz and say Nah, this isnt necessary and I feel its more work to use than its worth :3

600? Try over 2000! So I think I can safely say this might be a good idea, as long as it's only visible to the owner of said beasties.

600? Try over 2000! So I think I can safely say this might be a good idea, as long as it's only visible to the owner of said beasties.

3,900 and counting... MUCH easier on a spreadsheet.