Carolyn

Dragon naming themes

I don't have a single family name for all my dragons, no. Though, while growing vamps, I gave them all real word names.. if that's counted. tongue.gif

When I first started, I was adamant about keeping to the "one word" naming scheme which is one of the reasons why I didn't follow with the family name idea. As I became familiar with DC and saw how other users named their dragons, I (grudingly at first tongue.gif) paid more attention to my AP dragons' lineages to see whether there was a family name I should be upholding. Have renamed a few of my older dragons to reflect this. ^-^

Not a family name per se, but a lot of my males have the male designate "Dyz". I'm also working on a line of Hellfires with tough-guy lines as names

I use the prefic "lju" for males and "kye" for females, so I don't have to worry about taken names so much.

I give Caveborn dragons one word names, and try to stick with two-word names for 2nd gen dragons, but beyond that anything goes (including one or two words)

Otherwise I've got themes going with a few breeds. Male reds get named small (Runt, Tiny, Dwarf), female reds after a shade of red (Crimson, Garnet...) Planning on a purebred even gen lineage ending with "Litte Red" at some point.

My two deep sea dragons are named after deep sea trenches (Mariana and Hikurangi), waters after ocean regions (Sargasso and Canary), male mints after guys from Arthurian legend...

Going to name pygmies big, or after big things. I started with Titan and Everest.

All of my dragons have Greekish names. I'd give them surnames too but I cannot make heads or tails of any explaination I have ever found of how the Greek family names work. ><

Edited by Greywake

I don't have a theme name for my dragons, but hoping one day a neat one will come to me for something.... but I have gone crazy with the naming of my Split pairs lol

I have....

Fred 'N Barney with Fred 'N Wilma

Ricky 'N Fred with Lucy 'N Ethel

Starsky 'N Hutch with Cagney 'N Lacy

And I"m working on my next pair now too hehee

And I have come up with an idea for my pgymies, but gotta work on how to integrate it into names smile.gif

I'm currently naming my dragons the lyrics of the song: Check Yes Juliet by We the Kings. It is one of my favorite songs ever!

My Hellfires and Sunsongs are all have Elvish given names and surnames that are made up of two Elvish words put together. Usually my Hellfires have more evil sounding names than my Sunsongs. And no doubt at least some of you have seen the descendants of my Hellfires, because I mass breed them (I have over 80 now, I think) every week.

My Pillow dragons all have Scottish-Gaelic given names and surnames. I've got a few nice family lines going with them.

My Sunsets are given names in either French or Spanish, depending on what gender they are. Females get Spanish words as names, males get French words as names.

All of my Greys have Army ranks before their regular names.

All but one of my Silvers have Elvish names and are the descendents of my beautiful Arwen.

All of my Deepsea dragons have Na'vi names followed by the suffix Omatikaya, and all of my Neotropicals have Na'vi names followed by the suffix Tipani.

My Canopy dragons are all named after the fauna of Pandora.

Other than that, I tend to name my dragons after my favorite characters from Marvel, Lost, Lord of the Rings, and Avatar.

I have many family names, and I follow that rule unless I decide to be silly. x3 And if I don't mention anything, they're either all different or are named after their breed.

My hellfires that descend from my original Hellfire, Hell's Covenant, have the prefix Hell's.

My albinos have the prefix Great White.

My Blacks are named after Ninjas, or darkness/shadows.

My blunas are named after arctic birds.

BBW's are 7 deadly sins with the prefix Tropical.

Canopies have "Paradise" somewhere in their name.

Dorsals have names that deal with darkness.

The shallowwaters have names like The Goldfish x3

All of my grey/fog/storm dragons have the prefix Stormwind and a natural disaster after.

My guardians have the prefix Guardian Of, and then a place of culture.(Athens/Troy/Crete)

Most of my horse dragons have "Dancing" as part of their names.

My Ice Trios are named after foreign words for snow.

Water dragons are named after Rivers/Oceans.

My Pinks now have names that are based on Portal.

My Ridgewings have the prefix "Plummet" in their names.

My Stripes have "Heaven" in their names.

My Swallowtails have "Landing" in their names.

My whites have the suffixes "Snowfall".

I sometimes completely make up my names and don't intend to follow any set themes except for certain planned species. Since I only have three hatchlings so far, I still don't have many names, but I plan to give dragons of same species (regardless of the lineage, how I obtain it or whether it's CB or bred) family names. So far, the names are:

Daydream: *First Name Here* Inastia

Water Horse: *First Name Here* Amphasor

Grey: *First Name Here* Greitelos

Edited by Vocalia

All my dragons have a "G" after their name to mark them as mine (and I can give them names which are already claimed).

When I am looking for a name, I use Google Translator: I type in the name of the breed or a word which fits to the breed, and then translate it into every other language, looking for a translation that sounds good.

e.g.

Daydream "Haihatella": daydream in Finnish

Hellfire Wyvern: female "Liesma" - flame in Finnish and male "Tulipalo" - fire in Finnish

Deep Sea: "De Profundis", meaning "From the depth" in Latin

Guardian Dragon "Shouwei" (guard in Chinese)

And some names just fit: My Electric is called "Rakiou", the nickname of my Pokemon Raikou xd.png, and my Pillow is just as fluffy as Sesshoumaru, the demon from Inu Yasha ^^

Most of my names are made up or originate from a word I put in Google Translate (usually something to have to do with the breed). All my CBs end in "Ion" AP snatches with "Cine" (except some lineages), and bred dragons with "-luin"

All my pygmies end in "Draiochta" and some of my lineages have specific names:

Ember: "_____ Teain"

Hellfire: "_____ Suaflame"

Anything from Endless Dream (daydream) X Heavenly Star (nebula): "Star" or "Dream"

Electric: "___ Jiskri"

Nocturne: "_____ Nocni"

Almost all of my dragons get the last name Brightwing or Silverwing. It depends on the dragon's color. If they're more close to a silver, they get Silverwing as their surname. If they're not a Silverwing, then their last name becomes Brightwing. For example, Golds use Brightwing and Silvers get Silverwing. I've decided to use Silverwing for Ices and Thunders because I think blue is close to silver, but Magmas get Brightwing. As for the first name, I usually use a name from greek/roman/egyptian mythology. I don't use Brightwing or Silverwing for my Pygmies and unbreedables, though. And my Pink Hope lineaged dragon or my White Thuwed Dorkface Dusk dosen't use the main surname either.

oh oh! All of my dragons, except for a few of my Shallows, have the surname 'Genesis' X3 because it sounds cool biggrin.gif

All daydreams descended from my perma pair (GideonxCelstina) share the last name Wonderment.

All the pillows descended from my perma pair (AloysiusxAmaryllis) share the last name Plushington.

The exception to both of those being the eggs that I decide to abandon so people can find purebred 2nd gens on the AP happy.gif

Edited by Tanais

I put the suffix 'ahar' on all of my dragon names. The names are based on the dragon codes, but I do also try to include naming conventions like dorkface, thuwed, etc., if the lineage has a naming convention.

Since I'm a manga and anime fan I'm giving my dragons Japanese names, they are usually related to the dragons characteristics, and I'm adding the last name Eien to all of their names. I picked up an egg with a nice lineage and a continuing last name so I plan to add its last name and then mine to it, I'm planing on doing this with all eggs I pick up that have a recuring name on them, unless it's too long like "mydragonissocoolicantbelieveit" something like that xd.png

I normally go to a baby name sight but when the Mod Mayhem release I found myself naming my Hellfire dragons after horror movies that have to deal with the devil or have the world devil in the title and I was naming the Nebula dragons after science fiction movies or shows xd.png

WB

I have so many portal related names it's easier to count the ones that aren't :3

I always use the surname "Vu" for my dragons. I normally just name them randomly or based on code. Some of them are in other languages, and some have been inspired by the lineage.

I add some new and familiar name from my favorite and sometime add my last name to easier to be on any dragons but for Nebula that I put space's name because match for and for seasonal dragons I put name monthly name with my last name easier when my egg are hatching. others some nothing name like running out idea to match on any kind dragons are. that all I had idea for name on dragons. smile.gif

All my dragons have the suffix 'of Onyx Antebellum'.

Or 'Antebellum' for my unbreedables.

If the dragon comes from a specific lineage it replaces 'Onyx' and either goes before or after the 'Antebellum'.

And all my CB have the initials 'CB' with they're name so I know whose who.

Yes, I know my suffix is particularly long but considering every short name is available to me I figured it was worth it.

Plus Onyx-Dragoness, Onyx Antebellum. Just liked the ring. smile.gif

I've started a series of Archangels... so far, I have Gabriel, Jophiel, and Uriel Archangel.

I also want to do a Black/ Malfoy Family Tree (Harry Potter) and the three Top Gear presenters (and maybe the Stig). James is going to be a pillow, since he's mellow and fluffy-looking, Hammond's going to be a Pygmy for obvious reasons, and Jeremy's going to be a Red because POWERRRR. Dunno what the Stig would be.

I also have two CB females named after their egg descriptions... might do a few more of those. I currently have Devoid of Scratches, a White, and Sitting in Pebbles, a Green. I might rename them, though, as I'm not too fond of their names.

Some of my dragons have a name scheme, but most don't... Some examples of the ones that do are:

My vampires- with the surname D'Luna.

My Pillows- with the surname Snufflekitty.

My Blunas- with the surname The Puddle Pirate

My autumns- all named with Nightwish lyrics

My embers- with the prefix Tulivuori

Most of my dragons have the surname Zek which is a Drow name meaning dragon. My Splits however have the word Duet in their name, usually at the end but not always.

When I name my dragons I always check their lineage and try to incorporate any family names.

I hate having unnamed dragons on my scroll, if I can't think of a name right away I will use my temporary name formula to name it, Designation <code> Zek.

Mine are all science and medicine themed. Sometimes I use words that are related to the species. (Example, My blunas are scientific names for various species of tuna)

Occasionally I have a funny name or a pop-culture reference.

And I have a series of greys that are all weather forecasts