Fortune86

The Power Inside

Arthur gave a non-commital shrug and crouched down to retrieve the other bolt from the broken crossbow. He slotted it into the bow he was holding and looked over at his Fiend.

"I'm pretty sure he's dead now."

Hima stopped in his mauling and looked down at the corpse beneath. Yep. He was dead alright.

Ceil fell back as Zacht's head unceremoniously parted from his shoulders. The two of them has been so wrapped up in trying to kill the other they hadn't noticed anything else happening in the room. As Ceil spat out blood and bits of flesh he looked around. Aside from Zacht there were three dead soldiers in the room. The fourth was pressed up aganist the wall in fear and trying very hard to not be noticed by anyone. He was failing as Arthur was now pointing a crossbow at him.

~~~

Odara and the Summoner exchanged glances.

"They're too young" said Odara. "Ceil sent them here to be kept safe."

"If the Titans come we will need everyone who can fight. Besides, wasn't Ceil out and about and fighting Titans at their age?"

"Not fighting" said Odara urgently. "Not actual fighting. More sort of getting their attention and leading them away where they couldn't hurt anyone."

The Summoner turned to Imari and Khaine.

"If you really want to help, then you can. I can't pretend our chances are good though."

Diana glanced about the room. Only one left, and he wasn't any threat. Rain came to a half beside her, giving her a gentle nudge in the shoulder. Reaching up, she have the Fiend a gentle stroke on the neck before approaching Ceil. Arthur was perfectly capable of taking care of the last soldier. She offered him a sad smile, and a hand to help him up. He wasn't exactly looking in good shape.

Khaine had not made eye contact with Ceil's mother, nor the summoner that had entered. He was too caught up in his own taughts to register anything that was going on around him. The sight of everyone outside had a major affect on Khaine.

It was only when the summoner mentioned that they could come, that he looked up. "It doesn't matter if our chances are slim... its better then not doing anything..." he replied, standing up. He placed his hand on his chest and rubbed the spot where the crystal was. If they stayed here... they would likely die... if he helped... there was still a good chance that they would die... no matter his choice, the chance of survival was minimal.

Ceil, battered and bruised, looked up at Diana. It seemed that despite his best efforts, she had been injured after all. He took her offered hand and allowed her to pull him up to his feet.

"I'm sorry" he told her. "I should have taken better care of you and the others."

~~~

The Summoner nodded, but before he could say anything further Odara's front door burst open. A man fell into the room, looking panicked.

"They're coming! They're all coming! Vundiha save us! The Titans are marching towards the city!"

~~~

Movement on the distant horizon caught Arthur's eye. Leaving Hima to guard the last remaining soldier he approached the broken window and looked out at the plains outside the city.

The Louse, The Horse, The Slug, The Rat, The Scorpion and The King were all approaching the city. Six Titans were heading towards them, their vast frames unmistakeable even from this distance.

Arthur's reaction was most certainly the understatement of the century.

"Oh."

Diana shook her head. "Nah. You took the best care a teacher could have," she said quietly, giving his hand a pat before letting it go. Huh. She never thought that she would be saying this to him. "Don't apologise for anything." At Arthur's soft exclamation, she turned around. Her blue eyes widened. Titans, coming straight for them. How were they going to fight them off? Something was nudging her in the back of her mind. The people, downstairs. Swallowing, she glanced back at Ceil. "I have an idea." She didn't know how he would react to it, though.

Ceil patted Diana on the head but turned when he heard Arthur by the window. Looking outside he saw the very last thing he wanted to see. Six Titans marching towards them. He swore loudly and walked a few paces towards the window. One Titan was bad enough, but six? They didn't stand a chance. If Jyeh really could control the Titans, then this was his work.

"I have an idea."

"Huh?"

Ceil looked back to Diana. She looked unsure, as though her idea wasn't something she really wanted to say.

Diana's blue gaze dipped downward before rising up to meet his for a moment. It would hurt him. Badly. But many others would be killed if she didn't speak up. "I know where the people are," she said, one arm coming across her body to hold her opposite elbow. "Jyeh took me to see them. They're all hooked up to this machine. If we disconnect them from it, maybe... I don't know how it works. The machine might be keeping them alive. Perhaps they'll pass away if we destroy the link." Her voice got quieter as she reached the last part. "Then the Titans will disappear." She had settled for looking at Ceil now. This would be terrible emotionally for him.

Ceil stared at Diana. As horrible as the plan was, he could see the sense in it. If the Titans truely were the warped Fiends of captive Summoners, then destroying the link between them would eliminate the Titans. However, the fact that they could be killing eight innocent people did not appeal to him, especially when one of their number was someone very dear to him.

"I'll do it" said Arthur. "I have seen the machine too. I know where it is."

Ceil looked over the the young ice Summoner. He knew Arthur well enough to know he was trying to spare him from doing that act himself. Ceil looked down at the floor as he mulled the idea over. Eight helpless Summoners. A city full of frightened people.

"Okay" he said at last. "But it might take a while for you to disengage them from the machine. We will need to hold the Titans off and keep them away from the city."

He expected Arthur to run off there and then, but the pale boy stood still.

"You have to stay here."

"What? Hell no!" growled Ceil. "No way am I sitting here on my butt while everyone else is off risking their lives."

Arthur took a step forward towards his former teacher.

"You have to stay here" he repeated. "You are in no condition to fight. A single blow would finish you. If you insist on going out onto the battle field you would be little more than a hindrance. You would get into trouble and someone could get killed trying to help you. You must stay here, where it is safe."

Ceil looked like he had been slapped. He shook his head and started towards the window.

"You know nothing. I can still fight."

"When Bastain and I were your students" said Arthur in his usual soft tone. "You told us that sometimes the best thing we can do in a fight is stay out of the way. It is hard enough to leave someone behind, but it is even harder to stay behind."

Ceil's hand was halfway to his chest, ready to summon Seth. He stood quite still, staring out over the city.

"Fine" he said after a minute. "Fine. Do whatever you want. I'll stay put."

He dropped his hand and looked back at the three teenagers.

"Bastain? Take Diana to my mother's house. You remember where it is. Knowing her she will have half the Summoners in the city working on some kind of plan."

He met Bastain's eyes with his own remaining one.

"Keep a good watch on her. Diana's stupid and clumsy, but she's a good kid."

((HINT!))

Diana listened to the plan, slowly nodding along. She felt wretched for having brought this up, but it had to be done. At Ceil's insistence on fighting, she frowned deeply. He was too hurt to do so, and she almost voiced this herself. But this was taken care of for her. Previously his words might have been replied to with annoyance and a bit of a rant, but she knew they held some semblance of affection. And although he said he would stay here, she wasn't sure if his words were honest. She dipped her head at his instruction, but she had a terrible sinking feeling that this might be the last time she ever saw her teacher. Her brave, caring, battered, teacher. The one who had taken pity on her first night and let her sleep in his bed, the one who had rescued her from falling off Seth, the one who had saved her from her own stupid self so many times. She suddenly rushed forward and flung her arms around his torso, hugging him tightly and pressing her face into his chest. "I'm going to see you again," she mumbled fiercely into his bloody clothing. "You're not going to die. Just don't do anything I would do and you'll be fine."  Her voice was beginning to tremble with the onset of tears, and she was sure she would leave a wet mark there when she came away.

((The hugging has finally commenced. :'D Aww.))

Edited by Chicogal

Khaine gulped, before walking out the house. As he exited the building, he watched as the powerless civilians began to gather whatever belongings they had left before rushing towards one of the city gates.

A big burly man with muscles almost as round as khaines head was running like a frightened child as he brushed passed Khaine, almost knocking him over.

With a sigh and making sure he was prepared for what was about to come, Khaine placed his hand over his chest. Taking a deep breath he called forth Crixius, who appeared in the middle of a group of men. These men were some of the brave few willing to fight, despite their lack of fiends. Their weapons consisted of pretty much anything that could be used to maim or cut.

Imari turned around when someone burst in to the house saying that the titans were on their way. This was it she thought to herself, the day were every last one of them might fight to their death in order to protect the people they care about.

She herself stepped outside and looked in the direction of the main entrance. Some people were heading out, most likely summoners, while others tried to make their way deeper into the city.

~~

Bastian stepped closer when Ceil spoke to him and nodded in agreement in his request. It was hard for him to leave but he knew there was a reason for everything.

“Come Diana. We need to hurry.” He spoke as he stepped towards the large hole in to wall that Areo made.

Ceil was taken by surprise when Diana threw herself at him, but all the same he was rather touched. Then he immediately hated himself for it. This was exactly what he had wanted to avoid.

"I'll be okay" he said patting the sobbing girl on the back. "I may be down but I'm not out."

He gently disentangled her and patted her on the head.

"Now get going."

Glancing over at Bastain and Arthur he saw Arthur had already vanished. He must have run off as soon as Ceil had promised he would stay put.

~~~

((I was kind of hoping Imari and Khaine would stick around to hear the battle plan D:))

Figuring the two young Summoners had gone outside for a better look the lead Summoner turned back to the rest of Odara's guests.

"Okay ladies and gentlemen. This is it. Crunch time. We may be up against Titans here, but they have their weaknessess too. Everyone is to split up into elemental teams and tackle the Titan whose elemental is weak to their Fiend. That means fire Fiends against The Rat, ice Fiends against The Horse, earth types try and lure The Louse down to their level, I know a few of you are fliers, and any flying wind or electric Fiends take on The Scorpion. Water Summoners are to tackle The Slug."

He strode over to the table in the centre of the room and looked down at the map upon it. The Soldier was trapped on some island miles out to sea and the Serpent could be safely ignored for now. The only way it could pose a threat was if it decided to hit the mainland with a tidal wave, then it would be game over anyway.

"I want at least two light Summoners to go with every team. Darkness Summoners? You try and keep the King busy and as far from the city as possible."

At this point someone raised a hand.

"What about the wind or electric Fiends that can't fly?"

"Try and support the others as best you can. If someone gets knocked down try and get them to safety and a doctor ot healer if need be. Any further questions?"

Edited by Fortune86

Diana peered up at him. After a moment, she nodded, not wanting to speak lest she break down into tears. Turning around, she hurried to Bastian. If someone had told her she would actually like Ceil one day, at the beginning of the school, she would have promptly told them they were mad. But somehow, she had grown to actually like him quite a lot. Even if he had assigned her, 'detention,' of sorts a good couple of times and had yelled at her quite a lot. "We're going on your Fiend, then?" she asked, wiping at her eyes furiously.

“Yes but its going to be a short flight.” Bastian spoke as he stepped a bit to the side looking at Ceil. There by the hole in the wall Areo’s claw lay open waiting for Diana to climb on. It would be to hard for her to climb on his back in his current position thus why he would carry them both in his claws down to Orada’s house.

~~

Imari waited outside along with Khaine to hear what her job might be. She didn’t want to go head first in to trouble after all and she didn’t summon Drahual just yet.

Diana gave the claw a bit of a look. Oh. Well, then. She was used to being carried strangely by dragons (namely Seth). She still hated flying. Carefully stepping over to his claw, she crossed her arms. Time to see what it was like to be carried in claws. She glanced over her shoulder back at Ceil. Please let him be safe, Vundiha. He didn't deserve to die.

Arthur raced down the corridor, Hima at his heels. When he rounded the corner leading to the stairs he came face to face with another Summoner he had only seen twice before.

"Xriss!" cried the Summoner, raising his hand to his chest.

Arthur took a step back, wondering what kind of Fiend would emerge from the green-gold light flowing from his adversary. Moments later he saw it.

A hummingbird. It could have sat in his palm.

Arthur stared at it with his usual cool expression, then shifted his gaze to the Summoner. The Summoner gave a little embarrassed cough, looked down at Hima, thought for a moment, then ran away. The little hummingbird Fiend sped after him.

Arthur and Hima exchanged glances, then carried on towards the stairs.

“You better keep your word Ceil.” Bastian spoke looking at his worn out old teacher. He didn’t really want to leave him there but what else could he do. He knew he wouldn’t go along with them to his mothers place, he would rather fight before he will do that.

Turning around Bastian stepped onto Areo’s claw and stood next to Diana. The dragon fiend carefully cupped his claw giving them a place to hold before he pushed himself of the tower. His spare claw covered them slightly blocking the winds but still enough for them to see. Slowly he glided towards Orada’s house while he watched at the approaching titans on the horizon.

Diana tore her gaze away from Ceil, recalling Rain to her crystal. She didn't know if she could stand looking at him for much longer. And she was distracted by the motion of flying. She always got a bit airsick. Sometimes more than a bit. She clung onto the ridge of his claws as if for her life, face already becoming pale. No. It wouldn't be good to throw up all over his claw, or down toward the people below. Instead trying to focus on the pain of her chest, she kept her breathing rhythmic and even. It seemed that the bleeding had slowed, but her shirt was still rather wet and red. She hoped there was a healer at Ceil's mother's house.

Edited by Chicogal

Ceil watched Bastain and Diana leave through the hole in the wall. He had given his word that he would not try and fight the Titans, but now what was he supposed to do? Twiddle his thumbs?

Hearing footsteps he turned and looked at the remains of the door. Two soldier peered around the frame. He recognised one of them as a former student, Larry Bales.

"Sir?" said Larry stepping into the room. "Um. What has happened here? Where is Lord Jyeh?"

Ceil looked around at the carnage and the dead bodies. The one remaining soldier had passed out. He thought quickly.

"Lord Jyeh has had to step out for a moment. With the Titans approaching he has had some matters to go and attend to."

"But....what happened here?"

Ceil turned and pointed at Zacht's headless body.

"He attempted to kill Lord Jyeh. Made up some stupid rumours about Lord Jyeh's nephew in an attempt to gain an audience with him. He killed the guards in the process. Thankfully, we were able to stop before he got to his Lordship."

Larry appeared to consider this. He had never really liked Ceil, but he did respect him. Besides, he knew Zacht was a nasty piece of work. From where he stood it made sense.

"Um....Sir? Did Lord Jyeh say what he wanted us to do? The men in the barracks haven't been issued any orders. With the Titans coming and all we don't just want to sit around and do nothing."

Ceil stared out across the city, knowing just how Larry felt. Areo was out of sight now. The Summoners in the city were probably coming up with some attack plan, but that didn't mean everyone else couldn't help."

"Right" he said turning back to Larry and his comrade. "Get back down to your mates and tell them to start improving the fortifications around the city. There are still a lot of people trying to get in, so make sure you can get as many people to safety as possible..."

He continued to issue out orders as several more soldiers arrived. With Lord Jyeh gone and everyone feeling frightened and confused, it was reassuring to hear someone who sounded like they were in charge, even if they were looking very bloody.

“Don’t think of it as flying.” Bastian spoke as he placed his hand on Diana’s shoulder. He could see she was getting rather pale so he figured that flying wasn’t really her thing. As he looked down below he noticed a large earth fiend in front of Orada’s house. He quickly noticed it as Khaine’s fiend but didn’t see the young summoner or his cousin on the ground.

Areo glided in circles trying to figure out how to land but with one fiend in the area already it would cause a problem. Areo flew a bit lower until his face was before Crixius. Slowly the dragon opened his claws revealing the two summoner. They would have to make a swap here in mid air, Crixius would have to let them down the rest of the way.

Diana glanced toward him before nodding. It was actually easier to look at him than the land passing by. "Okay." But she returned her attention to the land below when she realised they were getting lower and lower. How were they to get down? Luckily, Bastian's Fiend Areo was clever. A stepping stone through Crixius. She waved to him as they were revealed; she quite liked him - there was just something about the Fiend that she found amusing.

"The louse..." thought Khaine... he had never seen this titan before, but judging from what the other summoner had said, it was a flier... and that was definetly a problem for the ground based Crixius.

He looked around as other earth summoners began to get together and began to walk over to them. He turned to see if Crixius was following him and noticed a large dragon like fiend hovering in front of the earth persona, on closer inspection there were two people in its claws, Diana and Bastian.

Crixius looked at the fiend, confused until the two summoners were revealed. He reached out with his hands and grabbed them gently by the waist, as if he were a child holding an action figure. With them in his grasp, he bent down and dropped them onto the floor when they were mere inches off the ground.

He returned to full height and glanced around for Khaine.

((Sorry, out of it at the moment. Been busy))

Edited by TotallyDrow

After the help from Crixius to get them down Bastian dismissed his fiend. Thanking him he took Diana by the hand and led her inside the house. He could see several people discussing something around a table. He noticed a couple of them and knew the summoners were already playing something to take on the titans.

“Diana go clean yourself up quickly. I’ll be waiting for you here.” Bastian spoke still looking at the group op people.

Diana patted Crixius' hand as he lowered them. "Thank you," she murmured. Once on the ground, her hand was suddenly grabbed by Bastian. Huffing, she followed after him. She didn't like the manner with which he treated her, but she wasn't going to have a quip at him now. "Kay," she said. Glancing about, she went to someone who didn't look too busy and asked whether there were any light Summoners around. There was actually one in the house, and she got herself healed by them. Then, she returned to Bastian. "All done."