Fengari

In-cave marketplace (for teleport)

The "negative effect" is that you look at your trades and see you have a new offer, only to discover it's dramatically different/less than what you asked for, which is frustrating because you got your hopes up expecting to see a trade from someone offering what you asked for, only to be disappointed. Like if you've been hinting to a loved one that you really love a certain sweater at a certain store as the holidays approach, and you have their present in your hands and are about to open it and it feels like a sweater, but then you unwrap it and it's actually socks. It's also just generally wearisome if you're someone who has experienced this a lot.

Maybe the way that I trade is different than how most people trade. Typically, the things that I'm offering up for trade are things that I actually like and would be more than happy to keep (otherwise it would already be on the AP), but there are a handful of things out there in the DC world that I might like just a teeny bit more, and those are the things that I specifically mention in my trading posts, often followed up by the politest way I can think of to say "No other offers please." Because the truth is, usually I'm not trying to "get rid of" whatever I'm trading, just seeing if someone will offer one of the few things that would convince me to part with it. And yet I still get socks offers of things that are not even close to what I was asking for.

Users who have a more laissez-faire attitude towards trading would still have the option to allow any/all offers on their trades. People who aren't interested in limits such as these wouldn't have to use them. But those of us who only want certain offers and are weary of getting offers that aren't even close would have the option to limit the kinds of offers people can make.

I would also like the ability to "reverse search." Not sure if this has already been mentioned. Instead of simply being able to search for trades containing things that I'm looking for, I'd also like to be able to see if there are any other people who are specifically seeking something that I might have, and what they're offering for it. Would be useful in rare situations when I have something valuable but I don't know what I want for it and I just want to see what kinds of offers are out there.

Edited by Renorei

EATW trade market is pretty well done overall and a good starting place to get ideas for building an in-site DC marketplace.

As long as people can put their requests down visually as both eggs and hatchlings - including s2 hatchlings (EATW limits you to only egg icons) and gives a decent amount of space for putting down your comments (like lineage specifics wanted, the actual trade links, etc.) I'd be happy.

EATW limits people to 3 trade requests at any given time. Considering an in-site marketplace would be far more populated in comparison, probably should limit requests to 1 per person at any given time (2 at the most)... otherwise the list would be very huge in no time.

I'm thinking it would be a good idea for ads to automatically expire 24 hours after being posted in the marketplace. That way you can keep the clutter down of people who forget to delete or simply don't bother to get online (or can't get online) for the next several days.

I don't see a reason to block people from being able to offer certain things outside of what I asked.

If people end up offering stuff I didn't actually request - the decline button is quick and easy if it's not to my liking. Sometimes I actually get much better offers. On EATW, people do tend to put comments down like "no other offers" . I personally tend to honor that and won't make an offer when they are that specific. But, if they leave the door open to offers outside of what they ask, then I might offer something they didn't actually ask for.

I would also like the ability to "reverse search." Not sure if this has already been mentioned. Instead of simply being able to search for trades containing things that I'm looking for, I'd also like to be able to see if there are any other people who are specifically seeking something that I might have, and what they're offering for it. Would be useful in rare situations when I have something valuable but I don't know what I want for it and I just want to see what kinds of offers are out there.

I really like that idea! This is me, like every single time I post a trade. I don't trade often so I have no idea what is wanted in the "market" at any given time, it would be very helpful to see if anyone is actively looking for something I might want to offer.

I'm thinking it would be a good idea for ads to automatically expire 24 hours after being posted in the marketplace. That way you can keep the clutter down of people who forget to delete or simply don't bother to get online (or can't get online) for the next several days.

I don't like this. Maybe there could be a 24-hour notice, to remind the user that the "ad" is still there? But just deleting them after only 24 hours probably isn't a good idea. Exactly how many trades are obsolete after only one day? I have a trade posted in the "holiday" thread right now from 3 days ago (I made it right after the cooldown expired on my CB V-day egg). It's still just as true/correct now as it was 3 days ago.

I get the idea that people may forget to delete their trades, but imo 24 hours is *much* too short a limit.

Bumping, as a rather less well thought out suggestion thread about in cave trading recently started.

I really like that idea! This is me, like every single time I post a trade. I don't trade often so I have no idea what is wanted in the "market" at any given time, it would be very helpful to see if anyone is actively looking for something I might want to offer.

I don't like this. Maybe there could be a 24-hour notice, to remind the user that the "ad" is still there? But just deleting them after only 24 hours probably isn't a good idea. Exactly how many trades are obsolete after only one day? I have a trade posted in the "holiday" thread right now from 3 days ago (I made it right after the cooldown expired on my CB V-day egg). It's still just as true/correct now as it was 3 days ago.

I get the idea that people may forget to delete their trades, but imo 24 hours is *much* too short a limit.

I kind of like the idea of deletion after 24 hours. If the trade offer is still current for you, you can repost without having your previous post still cluttering the list. It would be no different from the present rules in the trading thread and a bit cleaner and easier.

Reading through this entire thread, I've gotten quite a few ideas. Let's see if I can put them in words in any kind of understandable way xd.png

This is going to be long, since I'm going to go over everything I can think of which an in-cave trade market would need.

Getting to the Marketplace

This could be a link at the top of the scroll similar to the 'Cave', 'Account', 'Scroll' ones, but the line's already pretty big compared to the width of the scroll. I think it would be better as a link on the front page, similar to the AP link. A short line of text, with a link.

Something like this, perhaps, under the AP link:

A little further along the road you see a bustling Marketplace.

Short but simple smile.gif

Navigating the Marketplace

Clicking on the Marketplace link takes you to the page for the Marketplace, of course. At first, this could perhaps show 20 random trades, with pagination to see more random trades (or even just a refresh button to see others). If people really want, perhaps there could be an account setting to decide whether you want to see 20 random ones, the newest 20, or the oldest 20 trades by default.

Naturally, on the page itself you could also choose to sort trades by oldest, newest or random.

However, it needs a good search function. For this to work well, you'd need to be able to give specific details when setting up the trade - more on that later.

I imagine the search function as having two parts: a Basic search, and an Advanced search.

The Basic search would show only the most basic options: a drop-down list with breeds (would not contain holiday dragons outside their season), radio buttons for 'egg', 'hatchling' and 'either', and perhaps another set of radio buttons for 'cb', 'lineaged' and 'either'. Those could also work as drop-down boxes, of course. Not sure if this should also include male/female for hatchlings, or if that should be in Advanced.

The Advanced search isn't usually visible, but opens when you click a link for it. That way you reduce clutter for simple trading.

It would include the CB/Lineaged choices if not included in Basic, and if 'hatchling' was selected it would include the male/female option.

If Lineaged is chosen, another set of options becomes available. A drop-down box with 'Generation', giving the option of any number between 1 and 12, and >12 (12 because that corresponds with the lineage view). Another drop-down box with the lineage type: Even, Stair, Spiral, Arrow, Reverse Arrow, and Other. Those are the most common types, I think.

This section could also include some options to search by what the trade creator wants in return: offers, specifics, bloodswap are just a few ideas.

There could be more options, but this is all I can think of for now.

In any case, after filling in as much as you like, you click 'search' and get to see your results.

The list of trades

As mentione above, the list would have 20 results, with pagination to see more. This would hopefully reduce lag to a minimum while still showing a decent amount of options.

The list would look like a table, with the following columns:

Offering - Requesting - Time listed - Trade link

Offering shows what the person wants to trade away. Similar to EATW, these would be images. Clicking any of them opens their lineage (preferably in a new tab). Small additions to these could detail whether something's CB, Lineaged, Male or Female.

Requesting shows that the person wants in return. The easiest way for allowing all the options would just be a small line of text, but perhaps it could be a combo of images and text so it's quick and easy to see what they want. This text would (mostly) be predetermined from options given while setting up the trade (again, more on this later).

Time listed shows how old the trade is.

Trade link is obviously the link to the trade, where you can offer your stuff. Preferably opens in a new tab. Could be worded as just a short, simple 'Offer!'

Putting stuff on the Marketplace

To get your trade on the marketplace, you'd act like setting up any normal trade. The Teleport page would get a third option: "Trade (Marketplace): Create a trade that is listed on the Marketplace".

Selecting that option and clicking Teleport takes you to a new page, where you can list details of what you want (and, if the system doesn't pick up on them automatically, with what you're offering). This corresponds to everything you can search by, and includes the ability to request multiple things, of course. This is where you choose things like 'Lineaged', 'CB', etc.

To be completely inclusive, this should also have an 'Other' option with a small text field, to allow for details such as 'pink x gold checker'. Definitely not too long, to minimize the risk of abuse.

Then a simple 'Submit' and voilà, the trade appears on the Marketplace.

To remove the trade, simply cancel the trade like normally. Or let it expire.

*reads through again* Yeah, I think that explains it well enough... this seems to me like a very usable and useful way to do it, with the maximum range of possibilities yet the minimum risk of abuse. Thoughts?

Edited by Rhynn Collins

I kind of like the idea of deletion after 24 hours. If the trade offer is still current for you, you can repost without having your previous post still cluttering the list. It would be no different from the present rules in the trading thread and a bit cleaner and easier.

Yes indeed - very sensible. It will also mean we have to think about our trades. There are so many sitting there in trade threads that the posters have forgotten about - I have sometimes PMd people to ask if they are going to reject an offer of mine - and they say things like "OMG I completely forgot about that..."

This has come up a few times recently, so here's a small bump to this thread for those interested.

I was just about to make a thread about it xd.png

I want this, I want this now, like ASAP. This would be such an amazing and useful feature for people who don't know about or don't frequent the forums.

I did not read this back then, but I think Rhynns suggestion is solid, but for the following few points:

*) Most of the time, you give more than one or two options, so the textbox needs to be definitely more than say 20-30 characters. (2g avatar from blusang, any gender, must be unrelated to my project - 68 already, and i have not even given a second choice.)

*) I do not like the search option for generation. It seems to me, that it would be rather clunky and unneccessary, as most people search for 2gs or cbs anyway. Also, since there's nothing TJ wanted to add to the Cave yet for marking something as CB, it strikes me as that kind of information he wants the players to care about, not his system.

Well, searching for generation is valid IMHO. A generation tag doesn't even need to be adde3d automatically, it can be done by hand by the trader.

Actually, I think generation is *extremely* important. One of the things I've been hunting for (and can't seem to find) is a 4th gen BBW from Yulebuck (checker) unrelated to the one I have.

Also, we'd need to have the ability to list a lot of wants. At any given time, there are about a half dozen things I'd happily accept for any given trade. So.... The more "wants", the better.

Honestly? What we can search for would be absolutely critical to the success of something like this, with a site this large. The more ways we can specify what we want, the better.

Also, I disagree with limiting what people can offer. When you walk into a marketplace, the people in the booths can't limit what you can *offer*. All they can do is say "no thank you".

Cheers!

C4.

Well, imagine you had a 2nd gen tinsel up for trade and only wanted tinsel swaps - and got literally hundreds of offers you're not even remotely interested in. With an in-cave marketplace, this just might happen. xd.png

Actually, I think generation is *extremely* important. One of the things I've been hunting for (and can't seem to find) is a 4th gen BBW from Yulebuck (checker) unrelated to the one I have.

Also, we'd need to have the ability to list a lot of wants. At any given time, there are about a half dozen things I'd happily accept for any given trade. So.... The more "wants", the better.

Honestly? What we can search for would be absolutely critical to the success of something like this, with a site this large. The more ways we can specify what we want, the better.

Also, I disagree with limiting what people can offer. When you walk into a marketplace, the people in the booths can't limit what you can *offer*. All they can do is say "no thank you".

Cheers!

C4.

Generations is definitely important in terms of search criteria, and as such something that should be input into ones has. I do think maybe there should be a limit? Maybe be able to input up to lets say 5th gen, anything after that have it be 5th Gen+. OR! have it be like GTS style trading in pokemon where levels (in this case generations) are given a range. For example CB, 2nd-5th Gen, 6th-8th Gen, 9th Gen+, or something like that. It would be up to people to make a note in the notes section. Just a thought.

Another thing in multiple wants would be to have a sort of rotating image that depending on the wants, rotates to show the wanted eggs/hatchies. It could even be divided into a split section with lets say top has eggs, bottom has hatchlings. If there is nothing specific you want there would be the black egg with the question mark, and a blacked out hatchling with a question mark, and it would say in a tool top or something 'offers'. Generally I would assume eventually either image will symbolize 'whatever you wanna offer.'

I want to try and make a mock up to see if maybe I could try and fit how I would see this. It would require a lot of work but EATW has something very similar so it is very doable. I would like the notes section to at least be 150 Characters and to be at the top or bottom of the offer. I don't like how its a hidden note and you have to expand it so I would like to see it always expanded to always show trade notes.

I'm a bit scatterbrained on this right now so forgive my ranting xd.png

I think this would be great as long as it's not too cumbersome and causes more difficulties (as enumerated above) than it cures. This is a great dialogue tho.

I really like this! Even if it was as simple as the EATW setup - easy to use and still gets the info across - I will be happy. smile.gif It be nice to get your trades out to the wider community.

Wow, it's been a long time since this thread was posted in. Small bump. It would be really nice if there were a non-forum-centralized place to trade.

This would probably mean some big changes to the cave for it to work well (being able to specify your wants), but since trading is a cave thing, it'd be great to be able to organize it... in the cave. xP

I was thinking that to show what you would like for your egg, you could have the option to select as many eggs as you'd like from a simple breed list. For each of these, you can choose as many as you like from the tags CB, 2G, nice-lineage, and messy. You can also choose whether or not to white-list those breeds, although only CB/Lineaged could probably be monitored automatically as far as lineage is concerned.

Possibly you could also choose 'bloodswap' as an option, either on the egg's breed, on either of its parent breeds or as a separate option. (Not sure which would work best.) Just so that players can tell if you want a bloodswap for a lineage.

To see these, you'd have to click on the trade from the list - or possibly there would be a 'wishlist' link next to the trade. Then, it would display a picture of each egg wanted, with the selected tags listed under each one.

If it was whitelisted, that should appear somewhere on that page too - or possibly 'whitelist' would appear instead of 'wishlist'.