elderberrysyrup

How can we fix the common wall?

I have noticed all the greens no one seems to take them I'm thinking of starting a green linage of some sort so I'll start hoarding them :3 and once I get the silver trophy I'll start collecting a bunch of commons no one wants and do something fancy with them n.n

I've noticed that more and more common eggs are piling up in the AP and it's not close to emptying, not like months ago. So I made the Clear the AP thread. It seems to be not enough, though.

Another problem is that too many people seem to be breeding ugly lineaged commons left and right. They seem to be newbies (guessing since I often mass-bred my commons when I was new) so... maybe someone should add Stop Common Mass-Breeding or something like that...

But yeah, the only real solution is to pick up as many commons as possible. Trying to do that.

I've been trying to catch a couple (3-4) ER common eggs to raise every few days (being as eggs are much more limited than hatchlings).

The lineage idea, though, is a good one. I should look into that.

The problem with limiting abandons is that those same commons will just sit in the caves forever and clog things up there. It doesn't solve anything =/

it stops the people who mass breed and abandon just for the off chance of a handful of "nice" eggs.

a lot of people on here have said they actually like to pick up the CB eggs that have been abandoned and it's the messy lineaged or inbred ones that they dont like. so that would actually solve that particular problem.

Yeah its not enough,the AP is backlogged causing the cave to be blocked making CB's more wanted xd.png Some take advantage of that (points to self) but its bad because what will we do when the biomes are blocked,no more CB's. So we should try to unblock the cave in an efficient way. I don't know,I think idea's like the Clear the AP and Cave Plumbers are good. You hoard your favorite common and you get a rare,so why are people so AGAINST that?

I think people are greedy,instead of taking whatever dragon comes to them they have to pick the shiny rares and when there is none we all nag about it .....

Edited by BMF2

For me personally, I am sucker for lineages. You take ultra common eggs & slap on a nice lineage, & I will love them.

Other than that, I do pick up low time common eggs from the AP that can make instant hatchie b/c of the slots I need to fill. Though, I can't find low time eggs these last two days.

Finally, the cave plumbers and such... Although I love shinys, I am very picky about lineages, which is why I don't join such groups.

I think if there's a new BSA for one of the common egg too, it would make them much more desirable.

Any more suggestion is welcome too.

I just wanted to point out that if people focus on a certain breed, then the ratios can be balanced. I remember a year ago or so pinks and purples were extremely common. I forget what project it was, but it had close to 100 people in support and those 100 people were grabbing nothing but pinks for a month. The ratios balanced out quickly and now pinks are...uncommon.

Perhaps we could do something like that? Dedicate a month to grabbing a certain kind of egg, or a certain egg color. That way the AP can get cleaned out a little and ratios can be balanced out some.

I just wanted to point out that if people focus on a certain breed, then the ratios can be balanced. I remember a year ago or so pinks and purples were extremely common. I forget what project it was, but it had close to 100 people in support and those 100 people were grabbing nothing but pinks for a month. The ratios balanced out quickly and now pinks are...uncommon.

Perhaps we could do something like that? Dedicate a month to grabbing a certain kind of egg, or a certain egg color. That way the AP can get cleaned out a little and ratios can be balanced out some.

Ooh.

I like this plan.

I also remember there was a board like this for saint patty's day.

"Pick up a green day".

Maybe something similar to that, but for a whole month?

I think I'll go see about clearing this with Z.

I like greens enough where I wouldn't mind doing this.

Edited by Pink

it stops the people who mass breed and abandon just for the off chance of a handful of "nice" eggs.

a lot of people on here have said they actually like to pick up the CB eggs that have been abandoned and it's the messy lineaged or inbred ones that they dont like. so that would actually solve that particular problem.

It also discourages people like me from breeding AT ALL, and I breed primarily to toss nice, short-lineaged stuff. On my breeding day, I usually toss a 2nd-gen black, one to three even-gen trios third gen and under, two or three 2nd gen splits, and an assortment of other 2nd gen dragons with a holiday as a parent. All of which get snapped up in seconds because I produce desirable AP fodder--a majority of which being common or semi-common. And then guess what? I turn around and pick up more commons with short or even-gen lineages to use for future desirable breedings.

This is still just a bandaid fix and discourages a lot of good actions to boot. We'd just end up with the cave being flooded with CB commons that no one is picking up and there would still be crappy eggs in the AP with no good breeders to thin them out.

If thirty people each breed ONE inbred, long-lineaged egg at the same time, the AP blocks. Dragcave has players in the tens of thousands. All it takes is one egg from one person over a thousand breeders and we'd be swamped for who knows how long. Limiting abandons does nothing.

Dragon Mando is right, limiting abandoning wouldn't work because of how many members there are.

That being said, I'm surprised the AP isn't worse then it is. We do have thousands of members, so why is it that the Ap doesn't get more blocked? So I've never had too much of an issue with the AP.

If you or somebody were to set this up, I would be -all about it-. Figure out what eggs are most common... there's the chart in the "looking for black eggs" thread, whatever that's called, and go by whichever is most common there. I'll go look and come back with a few suggestions. wink.gif

I'm currently scroll-locked--a pair of common CBs to start my own lineage (which I'll be keeping all of), two pygmies to complete gender sets, a pink for influencing (I need more if I'm going to start some lineage projects), and--A DORKFACE! biggrin.gif Looking at my scroll will confirm that I am an avid practicioner of picking up commons (both CB and AP) and freezing them so they don't contribute to overpopulation.

ETA: Hmm... can't really tell which would be the best to start out with from those stats. Probably either stone or pebble, is what I'm thinking.

Edited by elynne

The competition thing that was mentioned is an interesting idea. If the prize was good enough, I'm sure lots of people would go for it.

Maybe, with the help and support of Tinsel owners, such a competition could be started, where whomever picked up the most AP blockers in a certain amount of time would get a Tinsel. It wouldn't have to only be Tinsels, though. It could be good CB stuff (trios, blacks), 2nd gen metallics, short-lined dorkfaces, etc. With multiple prizes and in a competitive setting, the AP might just end up empty again.

Edited by Stealthypugs

The competition thing that was mentioned is an interesting idea. If the prize was good enough, I'm sure lots of people would go for it.

Maybe, with the help and support of Tinsel owners, such a competition could be started, where whomever picked up the most AP blockers in a certain amount of time would get a Tinsel. It wouldn't have to only be Tinsels, though. It could be good CB stuff (trios, blacks), 2nd gen metallics, short-lined dorkfaces, etc. With multiple prizes and in a competitive setting, the AP might just end up empty again.

This, I would fully understand.

If I had even a CHANCE to get a Tinsel from that method, I would be locked with more commons than ever before. That's an awesome idea.

I picked up 3 pebble eggs yesterday. Going to do a lineage with them eventually. Gonna pick up 3 stones next clutch.

Edit: I would also sign myself up as a donor of eggs to be given as prizes if a competition were organised. :3

Edited by omgitskairi

Now THIS is something that sounds like a good idea.

This I will bother a mod about right now.

>:3

I'd go for that, definitely!

I already pick up quite a few dragons that I "like" that not a lot of people seem to, albinos mostly, or grab AP eggs since I'm impatient. There's not much I'm really looking for at the moment so taking a few weeks to clear commons wouldn't be a problem for me.

Tinsel competition what what do want.

Otherwise, I pick up odd inbreds and blockers for mini-projects. Not much though, and I really need to get organized as to what I want for what projects etc.

I love this idea! Don't have much by way of rares, but I'd be willing to breed anything people are interested in - even raise the egg to a hatchling - if it would get people collecting commons.

Been meaning to make a common lineage for a while, maybe I'll start on that now that my Spring lineage project is going on hold until next spring...

If you can figure out a way to make it fair with people having different trophy levels--maybe four different "winners" for each trophy level? People with no trophy can use the incubate bsa all they want, the others... hmm. Well, I'm not sure how to keep people from using their incubate BSAs, or how to check if they have; which means somebody with an army of reds is going to have a big advantage over somebody who only has two, or something.

If you can figure out a way to make it fair with people having different trophy levels--maybe four different "winners" for each trophy level? People with no trophy can use the incubate bsa all they want, the others... hmm. Well, I'm not sure how to keep people from using their incubate BSAs, or how to check if they have; which means somebody with an army of reds is going to have a big advantage over somebody who only has two, or something.

If we could find enough tinsels (or other prizes) around, I don't see why having 4 categories would be a problem.

On incubate... Sure they would, but that's a risk we'll have to take, I think.

I'd be willing to offer my breeding services for prizes. I don't have any tinsels, but I have an army of silvers and blacks and I just got a Dorkface who I intend to use to start my own Army Of Dorkfaceness. biggrin.gif I also have a lot of other dragons available, if you wanted to make different prize levels for each trophy category.

And it should be specified whether the blocker dragons come from the cave or the AP, and whether they have to mature to adulthood or can be frozen as hatchlings or what. Probably mature to adulthood would keep it more fair... and this is all about clearing the AP, isn't it? So a list of AP blocker breeds that are open game... though, unless you'd be willing to disqualify eggs that don't have a lineage as being CB instead, people will be picking them up from the cave as well--no harm in that, really.

Don't mind me, I'm mostly talking to myself here. wink.gif

I'd be willing to offer my breeding services for prizes. I don't have any tinsels, but I have an army of silvers and blacks and I just got a Dorkface who I intend to use to start my own Army Of Dorkfaceness. biggrin.gif I also have a lot of other dragons available, if you wanted to make different prize levels for each trophy category.

And it should be specified whether the blocker dragons come from the cave or the AP, and whether they have to mature to adulthood or can be frozen as hatchlings or what. Probably mature to adulthood would keep it more fair... and this is all about clearing the AP, isn't it? So a list of AP blocker breeds that are open game... though, unless you'd be willing to disqualify eggs that don't have a lineage as being CB instead, people will be picking them up from the cave as well--no harm in that, really.

Don't mind me, I'm mostly talking to myself here. wink.gif

I'm willing to offer up offspring from my tinsel, at least, and I know a friend who would too.

Sure, although I think that if the egg is a blocker period that it should count.

It's going towards the ratios either way, so why not?

Definitely adulthood. That way it stays equal over the board.

A list of AP blockers definitely... but why not just one or two?

That way they'd be cleared out much faster.

Sure, there's a couple out there, but even one breed out of the running (say for instance, dorsal) would be a huge step forward.

The goal is to balance out the ratios, not just beat at the wall but solve the problem in the caves too. I'd say any common is fair game, excepting what is bred by onesself, of course.

EDIT: So, should we have contests broken down into sections, for example:

Most overall in their trophy level <- tinsel

Most of X breed in trophy level <- some other rare, gold/silver/trio?

Edited by soullesshuman