Sundew

How do you feel about freezing?

What was your first freezing?

Pretty sure it was my Zombie hatchling, although he was frozen automatically upon becoming a Zombie. The first intentional freezing was ironically, a Vampire hatchling.

How did you feel about freezing before that?

I didn't particularly care. To me it was a nifty ability that I just hadn't used yet.

How did you feel about freezing after that?

Now that I gift eggs and hatchlings, I do care if they are frozen when I specifically say that I would prefer they are allowed to grow. Personally I only ever freeze CB hatchlings or hatchlings bred on my own scroll, as I don't like it when someone intentionally kills or freezes something I bred for them. However, if it is an egg I sent to the AP, then it's out of my hands what occurs.

In saying that, I do not breed inbred dragons unless it is for a project, so eggs bred and abandoned from my scroll are never inbred and nine times out of ten are from a lineage that can be continued. Rarely, I may breed a messy line, this is usually accidental, or the egg produced is something that is sought after. If from a messy line bred on my scroll, then I don't mind if the person freezes the hatchling. Messy lines don't look nice, and I only keep messy lined BSA and Tinsel dragons, the latter of which is only bred to produce tombstone Tinsel fodder for a deadline project.

What was your first freezing? I froze a Black Hatchling.

How did you feel about freezing before that? Ambiguous. I had no idea what it did.

How did you feel about freezing after that? Loved it. I proceeded to freeze dozens of black hatchlings. I wanted an army of them.

I don't recall why I froze one of my skywings. Perhaps it was a scroll lock issue. I have a frozen holiday dragon because he was near death and my others had already died. I hadn't discovered click sites and I was on vacation and neglected them. :'(

I generally don't mind freezing. I tend to find it a pity if someone does it with a CB breedable rare since to me, lineage only matters if it's going to be bred. But anything that's halfway common, or bred, is totally fine to be frozen.

Personally, I freeze one (selfbred) hatchling per gender per breed, and might at some point add s1 hatchlings to that. And I use frozen pygmies as scroll deviders. But that's it. I mostly collect dragons to breed them, so apart from the sprite collection, frozen hatchlings are useless to me.

My first freezing was my 2nd Yulebuck. I remember that I pondered it because of the scroll limit, but I had always intended to get 1 adult plus one frozen per breed per gender, so I just did it anyway. (The only exception I've ever made from that rule are Hollies. Freezing a Holly would just seem cruel to me, as it depletes the breeding pool.)

Edited by Lastalda

(Agh, bumping xP)

I never freeze, because I don't like to.

Also, I will never x3

Edited by gloryKAT

I dont freeze gifts, i dont really like mine frozen. Other than that... /shrug

Freezing just seems to be delaying growth in my mind. Letting it stay a child.

I remember when I first started, I used to be strongly against it. But I actually got a frozen hatchling, Didn't Make It withing a month of joining DC. That was before I knew about fansites. It took me 6+ days to hatch her egg; and I think as a hatchling she only had a few days left before she would die, and I just went "forget this, I can't be here nonstop for days, but no way I'm letting it die" so just froze her instead. Felt guilty about it for years. (She's gendered now because hatchies used to be able to get a gender after they've been frozen) It was like I stunted her growth or something. It felt unethical somehow. I guess I wasn't treating these dragons as 'just pixels,' or something, I actually can't even remember exactly why. laugh.gif

Now I don't mind it, and have gathered numerous frozen hatchies on my scroll as well. But I don't actively go out of my way to collect frozen sprites. The hatchies I have are mostly the ones with messy lineages from the AP/departure boards (that were okay'd to freeze), or self-breds that have mis-gendered/colored (I'm looking at you, nebulas). Though I still prefer to let dragons grow up instead of freezing, and still often can't bring myself to freeze pretty lineages or CBs. xd.png

Edited by s0r0k4

Actually I froze the very first dragon I got (a Mint), because back then I thought the hatchling looked more like a dragon than the adult. Yeah, I don't really know why and I don't think so anymore... xd.png

So I've never been against freezing, I wouldn't freeze a gift if the breeder asked me not to but I don't see it as cruel. I like having a few hatchies in every group of dragons on my scroll, as the description of the cave says you "see many large dragons scattered about, some with hatchlings" and that's how I imagine my dragons too.

Still debating on if I should freeze my cheese, and if so, at what stage >< The hatchie is so cuteeee, but the adult stage.... idk.

edit: Im going to let all mine mature to adulthood until I have a silver trophy or something of the sort. When I get bored and have multiple.

Edited by Herzein

I NEVER freeze...although I admit many hatchies are very cute/sweet in earlier stages...(I have only my Leetle tree *which is ALREADY frozen )frozen on my entire scroll...Im not AGAINST freezing in a lot of situations,although I DO ask that any of MY gifted eggs,bred OR caught NOT be frozen...

Its not my biz if others freeze,I choose not to

Rockin' On

My first frozen was a new pink, back when they were one of the blockers. I remember I used to not like freezing, then I considered all those blockers and thought, "Well, why not?" So I froze a few of certain breeds. Then other breeds became blockers, and I froze those. Cue a lot of freezing, and half a scroll of frozen babies (all blockers or former blockers).

I do feel a little bad for those ungendered babies who will never get wings, especially if they're a breed that's meant to fly like coastal waverunners are. However, I've rationalized it to myself as hatchlings that are no longer growing need much less food and water than adults do, and that the adults are more than willing to help those out who want to feel what it's like to fly, etc.

Most of my hatchies have ended up in the same clan, started for and by wild-lineaged hatchlings where the etiquette of civilized adults do not apply to them. They take care of themselves fine, having learned to hunt in packs to make up for their small size.

Others might as well be adults in a littler body (since their minds are adult enough), and are treated as grown-ups by their adult peers. After lots of time like this, my dragons pretty much ignore the strangeness of talking to kids like adults.

...I've put some thought into this.

Hmmm...I haven't frozen anything yet.I don't know,that I feel..a bit strange.Maybe I should just try?=3

I have no interests in freezing my hatchlings as of yet and I prefer to raise all of my dragons to adulthood. However I don't really mind it when others freeze them. It's.. Their choice, after all.

Edited by TheAkatsuki

I love it. My goal is to have 2 adults (one of each gender), 2 gendered hatchlings (again, one of each gender), and one ungendered hatchling of each breed on my scroll.

I have no interests in freezing my hatchlings as of yet and I prefer to raise all of my dragons to adulthood. However I don't really mind it when others freeze them. It's.. Their choice, after all.

Same here. It's just our choices. I don't want freeze my hatchlings, neither.

The only hatchie I've intentionally frozen was a pillow. I caught it accidentally and couldn't trade it away. And I don't care for the adult sprite, so I froze it while it still looked cute.

Anything I've frozen after that was accidental, because I mistook the "freeze" action for "hide" (because what "hide" does is "freeze views," right?). I abandoned all those.

I do feel a bit irked at people who freeze a lot of really rare ones. Having a couple doesn't bother me, since it's nice to look at the hatchie sprites. But do they really need 20? Oh boy, I'd love to get the trio eggs, and some people just freeze them.... So I think feeling a little bad about freezing rares is OK. Though I've wondered why some people are against freezing rare unbreedables. It's not like it would be able to reproduce if it grew up anyway, right? I would like to freeze the second paper I catch, since I already have an adult.

Edited by Cielmuir

I actually didn't want to have any Frozen hatchies, but when an ugly-lineaged Black hatchy, due to grow up any second, that I'd picked up in the AP followed me home, meaning that I couldn't shed it for 24 hours, I Froze it as quickly as I could get my fingers to move. xd.png

Since it can't breed now, I suppose I could Release it, but it doesn't really bother me; I'd not noticed it on my scroll, indeed, had forgotten about it for some time, until I peeked into this thread, lol.

I don't ever freeze hatchlings. Sometimes I see some absolutely precious hatchling sprites and consider freezing them, but then I realize that if I froze one hatchling, I'd probably end up wanting to collect frozen hatchlings of every breed. That wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that there are some retired breeds out there that I simply can't get frozen hatchlings of anymore. That would leave me with an incomplete collection, so I've decided to avoid freezing altogether. It's bad enough having only one frill (I used to only be concerned about one of every sprite; now I worry about grabbing both genders).

I freeze just to get to next trophy faster. I did freeze low time Hatchlings that I did catch off AP, but I decided it'd be better if I just grew them up to an adult. smile.gif I'm hoping to get my gold in one month and a week from now (I've got 258 dragons not growing/frozen and got that amount in a month and a week).

My first frozen hatchling was a Shallow Water, and I don't exactly remember why.. I think it's because I wanted to name him Nemo xd.png

But yeah, now I've started to collect a CB pair of each breed (except holidays and GONs), a frozen S1, and either 1 or 2 frozen S2s, depending on whether there is a different sprite. Argie brought up a good point about discontinued breeds, but since I have neither an old pink or a frill on my scroll it's not like I'd have an unfinished looking collection. So I'm going to keep at it tongue.gif

Plus I like making up some stories for the frozen hatchlings in my scroll. In my head when I'm writing descriptions everything is sort of "frozen", like there is no plot development and really only stories about individual dragons. So there is no need for some of the little guys to grow up because I like to see them as hatchlings at the time.

I'd rather have an adult than a hatchling, so I haven't frozen anything yet. Maybe sometime in the future, but I don't know.

I haven't frozen any of my dragons yet, though once I finally get adult versions of all the hybrids I'm breeding for, I plan on breeding more and freezing the hatchlings to use as "dividers"...I have quite a few projects, and they're all looking a little cluttered on my scroll otherwise.

I don't really have any "opinion" on freezing - they're just pixels. :3

I froze an Imperial Fleschcrowne male hatchling, as I already had 2 male adults on my scroll and I don't like the male sprite as much.