kadoatie

Fanfiction

I used to be an avid fanfiction reader for years, but I have since lost interest. My all-time favourite pairings will always remain Buffy/Giles from "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" (I pretty much grew up with them, been 'shipping them since I was 15) and Snape/(adult) Hermione from the "Harry Potter" series, though. Yes, I am all over the unconventional pairings - nearly all of the pairings that I have ever been dedicated to, have been unconventional in one way or the other. I cannot really rationally explain why, as I am always instinctively drawn to them - but that is just the way it is, and I have never had a problem with it. Other people sometimes would, though - often because their imagination would be too focused on the simple, clear-cut conventional, never really looking further than their own noses or being able to imagine what it would be like to be in that pairing's shoes. But well, that's their problem - not mine.

I used to write fanfiction... Mostly Death Note, I got into Hikaru no Go for a bit, then slacked off. Most of the ideas never went anywhere, and for a while pretty much all I wrote was original.

...then I got into Doctor Who, had an idea that wouldn't get out of my head, and wouldn't you know it's the longest continuous thing I've ever written.

I used to read a lot of fanfiction, but I write more these days as I got sick of trying to find decent ones.  I hate blatant OOC pairings between canon characters (some slightly OOC pairings I can tolerate if the story is really written well and not focused solely on the sex side of things: I've found only one author that succeeded in this) and Mary Sues.  I am largely of the opinion that if you must write a yaoi/yuri/etc fic in an established genre, don't butcher canon characters to get your jollys: use create your own for it!  I consider such butchering disrespectful to the creator of said canon characters....

Your post implies that you think changing the sexuality of a character makes them OOC - is that what you meant..?

What kind of fandoms do y'alls think get the most attention/fanfiction written for them? Harry Potter I know is a big one: lots of material, easy to write for, plus there are some truly talented writers out there (Methods of Rationality, anyone? Anyone?).

I know nothing of Eastern fandoms, but for Western ones, I think the biggest at this time are Harry Potter, Supernatural, Doctor Who (including spinoffs and the old series), and collectively Stargate.

I used to be a fairly active writer of fanfiction, but lost interest. Most of the stuff I wrote was for various animes/ manga series.

I luffs writing. Spyro archive is my specialty. My Legend of Crystal seems to be fairly popular, despite the fact it's the exact same thing as the whole legend series except with a character added. I guess I'm really good at making personalities? XD

First Crystal (A New Beginning):

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6366414/1/The_..._New_Beginnings

Second (The Eternal Night):

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6456361/1/The_...rystal_2_Rising

Third (Dawn of the Dragon, still in progress):

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6829155/1/The_...he_Darkest_Hour

Here's Hourglass. I just started it, it's about an amnesiac dragon who has a very special element:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7291190/1/Hourglass

Poisonous is here. It's about Malefor's daughter, who wants to take revenge on Spyro for killing him. Not too many chapters, but people seem to like it a little:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7263812/1/Poisonous

I have more stories, but none of them are quite as good as the Spyro ones, except for maybe Kimya's Silence. Here's my account.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2558747/#

If you like them, review or fave or even just an alert is appreciated.

I mostly read Kung Fu Panda and HTTYD fanfictions. *is a huge Dreamworks geek*

And I write some fanfiction too, mostly Kung Fu Panda for now. *is wayyyyy too lazy to bother posting the links* The stories do contain some spoilers for the second movie, though.

I read a few different areas usually in "Games", from Mass Effect to Fable III.

I wrote one for Mass Effect, but it's pretty old now and I don't like it anymore. I'm currently working on one for Fable III.

Edited by TheDarkCynder

I tried Mass Effect. My story is not serious enough for that archive, but I left it in case I wanted to write it again. xd.png

I wanted to write a story for Fable, but I decided it would be boring.

Harry Potter Fanfiction. 'Nuff said.

...except... wait, no, I didn't mean for HPFF.com. Mugglenet Fanfiction is the way to go! smile.gif

Yeah. The same - Harry Potter fanfiction.

I'm mostly intrested in action and romance fanfic.

My favorite paring: Hermione Granger and Severus Snape.

I don't write. I have really stupid ideas...

Favourites sides: Ashwinder, Fanfiction.net and Mirriel (Poland site)

I used to read Twilight fanfiction earlier but it was quite strange.

Edited by Aeshall

I write fanfiction but it's mostly for Merlin/Suits/The Social Network right now.

I love reading it. I haven't really dipped my toes into the Harry Potter section because the sheer wealth of reading overwhelms me a little!

I like fanction mostly. The only Harry Potter fanfiction I like is the stuff that chronologically goes after what we already know, Like Rose/Scorpio pairings etc. They're new characters, which works, whereas trying to put Hermione with Draco or whatever... No? She's married Ron as we've read that, so I don't like tsuff that contradicts what we already know from the real fiction. Does that make sense?

I'm also a fan of Pokemon fanfic that uses like new characters in the old regions, and how they journey through, interacting with the already established gym leaders and stuff. I'm not a fan of the really romantic stuff though, I'd rather have more action or something, and I mostly prefer the PG13 stuff, just out of preference.

The only fanfic site I go on is the ever-popular FF.net. I roam the Anime/Manga and Games sections to read, mostly. I'm not too keen or motivated on reading crossovers, but I have read some that were fairly well-done. AU fics and OCs are fine by me, but depends on how well they're portrayed. It grates on my nerves when an author makes a character OOC, unless it's for humor's sake (not in pointless crackfics, but simple parodies).

I prefer stories with more quality and detail of course, and a steady plotline. Rating technically doesn't matter to me, and I like General stories; action, adventure, humor and drama are what I look for in a K-T fic, though I don't mind if there's a bit of romance mixed in. So long as it doesn't get too sappy.

At the moment, I only have one fic up for Digimon (yes, Digimon) and is still a work in progress (currently over 100K), but I have written more in the past; I've taken them all down because of how embarassingly... newbie-ish they are. I can't really find the word to describe it. xd.png

And here's a horrible habit of mine; whenever I read and finish a story I really like, I forget to review and favorite it. D8

Edited by Felicityluff

I mostly read Doctor Who, Discworld, BBC Sherlock, and Warhammer fics, though I do dabble in Pokemon from time to time; I write fanfics within the same fandoms, though I rarely publish them online. Most of the ones I have written are on my dA page- my name there is SpindleWinter. I also have a soft spot for Pokemon Creepypastas, but only if they're not too over-the-top. I also like slash, so most of what I write has a hint/dollop of it in there somewhere, but I make sure I keep the pairings at least a tiny bit sensible. I hate crack pairings and one's that don't make much sense to me- like HarryxDraco, if there's not a VERY good reason behind it.

I'm very fussy about the grammar, spelling and characterisation that's in fanfics, that's why I barely finish reading/writing any. I hate it when people mess up the canon or character's personalities, like one Harry Potter/DiscWorld crossover that ripped the both of canon so far to shreds I nearly cried in anger. I mean, who makes Peter Pettigrew a sweary badass? It's like they only read the blurbs of bother books, or skimmed articles on Wikipedia...

Im on ff.net, Kursedfire, Only have 1 story so far and I am currently working on 2 more stories.

X-men Evolution X Naruto is my current one

I mainly browze for Naruto Crossovers I like the Harry Potter ones, thats why I am making a NarutoXHarryPotter, based on Nagato... You never see any good Ame Trio Fic's

Currently writing a Resident Evil/Pokémon-crossover, a No More Heroes-fanfic and a Shadow of the Colossus-fanfic.

At this very moment, I'm rewriting the SotC-story's first four chapters. Doing a bit of cleaning up and stuff like that.

I'm currently into Kingdom Hearts fanfics, in which the very first one I read(Renegades) was honestly amazing. Can't say much for the other KH fic's I've read though, except for Those Lacking Spines. I used to read Portal and Team Fortress fanfics as well. Mostly read them from dA or fanfiction.net.

I haven't been able to actually get into any my little pony fanfics, though, which is odd considering I am writing a KH/MLP crossover fic on dA. *lost password to my ff.net account*

I was writing a TF2 fic throughout all of last year, but it quickly began to stop resembling TF2 at all, so I'm planning to restart it as my own story.

My favorite pairing would have to be Vexen X Any Organization member... except Xion. I only like KH pairings right now. :/

I'm currently considering writing these fics:

-A Touhou fanfic

-Another Touhou fanfic starring a group of yukkuris (yukkuris are living bun-heads that can somehow move around, talk and eat blink.gif )

-TouhouXKingdom Hearts crossover

For the last one, I'm somewhat close to scrapping the idea, but it seems interesting so I want to use it...Hmm. Tough choice. sad.gif

Hopefully I don't screw them up like I almost always do with my stories.

I love reading yugioh 5ds fanfic :3

I prefer the romances, they are quite interesting (some of the pairings anyway)

There are loads of Yusei x Aki storys, but i like Bruno x Sherry :3

Oh and i love ones that have Lester (Lucciano) and Primo (Placido) storys (not romances).

:3

-Ra

Just read Diana Gabaldon infamous Fanfic rant of '10.

@.@

Sherlock bbc and the 'Study' series mainly ( if you love maria v snyders book!)

I also read and write fanfiction, and have done so for ten years now.

I read lots of Harry Potter fic at the moment. I have no problem with decently written AU fics, simply because I started reading HP fanfic back before OotP (the book) was out. Many of my favorite fics became defacto AU with the publishing of books 5, 6, and 7.

For me, the key to liking any fanfic, of any genre, is the writing. Non-canon pairings don't bother me as long as they're done well. "Hermione suddenly decides to become a partier, gets drunk, and hooks up with Draco Malfoy" is generally not going to be a good fic, because it's not only too far OOC, it's not something likely to happen in real life. On the other hand, "In his grief following the final battle and the loss of family members, Ron yells at an equally grieving Hermione to get lost when she tries to comfort him. She flees, and ends up finding Draco Malfoy who is grieving the loss of his parents and friends. They offer each other the comfort they couldn't find elsewhere and she ends up pregnant," might seem farfetched, but it's honestly not very. In real life, people do react out of their normal character when facing tragedy and death, and they do often reach out to anyone available, as an affirmation they are still alive.

Anyway... HP is the one genre I read that I have yet to write for, because it's got such a huge author base that I have yet to come up with an idea that I don't then find a dozen stories about.

What I do write... first, Clan of the Cave Bear. (Now an AU, due to the publishing of book six.) This is what started me in the wonderful world of fanfic writing, I read the fifth book and fell in love with a couple of the minor characters. Started a tale of the two of them, that spiraled out of control and ended up including a whole mess of favorite minor characters from all over the series. Then I wrote a sequel to it, and I'm still working on a third that connects in with the second, although it isn't a sequel, more of a parallel story to the first two.

Second, one Dead Poets Society fic. A redemption story for Cameron, and yes, slash pairing with Todd Anderson. When I started reading DPS fics, I noticed there was a lot of Neil/Todd pairings, but no one ever bothered to figure out why Cameron was so quick to turn the group in following Neil's suicide. And so, I thought, maybe he was trying to hide his -real- secret from the group. After all, if you're the Rules Nazi of the bunch, the others might think of you as a brown-noser, but that's better than if they learn the truth, right?

And third, Phantom of the Opera. This is another WIP, that I'm not posting anywhere until it's complete, only because I've had experiences of real life causing my writing to be set aside for a time, and I hate leaving readers hanging with an unfinished, half-posted story. Based on the movie, and my take on the characters, it's a Meg/Phantom story in which Meg, feeling sorry for the Phantom and getting his full background from her mother, goes after him through his tunnel behind the smashed mirror.

I've also done some writing that sort of blurs the fanfic/original work line. I've written some stories and drabbles about some RP characters, some of which belong to friends, and all of whom are based in but not wholly accurate to the World of Darkness group of RPGs.

I love fanfiction, and spent many years reccing HP fic!

I currently read in White Collar, BBC Sherlock, X-Men: First Class, Loveless, Vorkosigan Saga, Temeraire, Star Trek XI, Good Omens, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy XII, and Harry Potter, with a little bit of Dr. Who/Torchwood and Criminal Minds on the side. I have 365 bookmarks on my AO3 account, and that's just a tiny fraction of the fics I have saved in my Firefox bookmarks...

I have written 10 stories, all short, in the following fandoms: Loveless, Harry Potter, Hurog, The Last Unicorn, Dragaera, Works of Ursula Vernon, Valdemar, and White Collar.

I would provide links, but I'm not sure the DCForums rules would allow it. (Which is why I haven't discussed pairings, either...)

Edited by ferdelance