sarrepta1

The saddest books

I cried a lot when Finnick died in Mockingjay :'(

But agreed. The Fault in Our Stars made me like a waterfall over here

I Will Save You

Makes me cry every single time I read it. But I love it, I recommend it to anyone looking for something sad and dark-ish. It's so.... goosebumps. I can't even say anything without spoiling~

Guy Gabriel Kay put out a fantasy trilogy called The Fionavar Tapestry, and I start to cry about halfway into each book. So sad, but so beautiful!

Idk if I've posted here before, but The Dogs of Babel is always the first "sad" book I think of. I stole it from my mom's bookshelf when I was about 13 or 14 and idk man it just got to me. There were some pretty dark occurrences but overall it was about the main character's wife's battle with depression.

Also, Lolita. One of my favorites (and people always bristle when I say that) - but thankfully I am not one of the idiots who view it as a "love story" or anything but the tragedy that it was, written from the point of view of a manipulative maniac and not a romantic. It's about a young girl's life being ruined, basically. Sad stuff.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven. I dare you to read this and not cry. THey made us read it in school.

The Fault in Our Stars... actually I didn't read the book, just saw the TV drama based on the book, and the last episode literally reduced me to a waterfall.

Mockingjay oh thats a legend. I couldn't read anything for three days...

Twilight probably. It's sad how they ruined the idea of vampires with both the books and the movies. I'm surprised I even liked it until I got to New Moon. Maybe the idea wasn't that bad, but what I saw in the movies ruined it all for me.

And now for a seriously sad book. Gone with the wind. I read it to write a book report last year and it was so so so sad. I refused to read anything for days. :'(

Call of the Wild, Whitefang, and the ending of Loamhedge and Taggerung in the Redwall series

edit:

Legend of Luke from the Redwall series is the one I most clearly remember.

you feel my paaaiiinnn

Edited by flame249

I found collections of fairy tales by the Grimm brothers and Hans Christian Andersen that I read when I was bored, and I was really surprised by most of them. Call me a crybaby, but I think that the original little mermaid is really sad.

Allegiant. Saddest in that it made me vomit I cried so hard, and saddest in that Veronica Roth pulled that piece of crap right out of her ass. Honestly, that was one of the MOST disappointing books I've EVER read. 0/10 don't waste your time on the Divergent series. Seriously, I could rant for DAYS about how censorkip.gif that damn book is. ANYWAY.

Another sad book is The Fault in Our Stars, even though, again, I didn't particularly like the book. Any book dealing with death makes me cry, but when it's pulled off in a crap way, it just pisses me off.

Bridge to Terabithia was a slap in my face when I read it as a child.

The Program by Suzanne Young was also pretty sad to me in that it dealt with suicidal teens.

There are sooo many more that I've read, but I honestly think that ANY book that makes me cry is the SADDEST BOOK EVER, so I'll just leave this post off here.

I read all the time and I know that I've read plenty of sad books but the first that comes to mind is A Corner of the Universe by Ann M. Martin. It's about (MAYOR SPOILERS BELOW)

(TRIGGER WARNING -DEATH/SUICIDE MENTIONED)

A autistic man named Adam, the book written in the perspective of his potentially autistic (it is hinted that she has autism multiple times) 12 year old niece, Hattie. Adam is 21 when the story takes place in 1960, and his part of the story begins with him being introduced to Hattie after his "special school" is shut down. It is later revealed that the school was a mental institution, and that Adam had been kept in it for 10 years. The doctors were unsure as to whether he had autism or schizophrenia, but after some research that I did myself, I found out that during the time period that the story takes place, doctors often linked these two together, and that Adam's symptoms show that he has autism. Adam is forced to live with his parents, Hattie's Nana and Papa, for a short time as they search for another "school" to send him too. Nana and Papa do not appear to care for Adam, and treat him as if he is a child. Though Adam does have a bit of a childish attitude, he does have feelings towards how he is being treated, and shares these feelings with Hattie, telling her that he feels "alien" and that she is the only one who understands him. Throughout the novel, Adam is treated very poorly and ignored/mistreated by both family members and other people as well. This progresses to the point where Adam eventually takes his own life. Though there were a few bits of information that didn't fit, in my opinion, with the plot, the book was overall a very good one.

Edited by colakit

The Fault in Our Stars.

I know, it's been mentioned before. But it IS one of the saddest books I have ever laid eyes on! I can't imagine going through what the character's did.

i thought charlotte's web was pretty sad. then again, i read it in gradeschool...

Oh dear, everyone's commenting on how sad young adult books are so my post shall feel quite out of place. However, I'd like to say that the Jungle by Upton Sinclair was a very depressing and heart wrenching story. I don't really find that many books sad as my cynicism usually kicks in at those moments. tongue.gif

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik isn't the saddest book I've read by far - but I can' for the life of me think of a different one. There is, however, a horribly sad moment in the book that broke my heart. And it was met with such--harsh reality.

Novik is very clever. I've read the second book in the series, Throne of Jade, and have begun the third. She has this way of showcasing how things aren't just black and white, that the government and the world aren't something we can simply overturn or declare against. That sometimes, there are terrible people. And sometimes there are good people with bad ambitions or bad people with good hearts.

This series has upset me a lot more than I expected it would, for all that it's a historical fantasy with action packed dragons.

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I started bawling by the 9th chapter and had to quit, I couldn't finish, so...yup. I'm a baby

Already mentioned this in another thread....but A Thousand Splendid Suns is brutal at times, brimming with grief and emotional turmoil. You'll feel pain, from both characters and their entire world. The ending is awfully bittersweet.

the song of achilles by madeline miller, if you listen to sad music while reading the final chapters you will surely cry

There Will Come Soft Rains and Supertoys Last All Summer Long

One is about nuclear war, and the other is about loneliness and isolation.