sarrepta1

The saddest books

((Really, Faireh? I didn't think so. It was just... sad. Or trying to be. It doesn't reach and get through to you. Tallstar's revenge wasn't as "sad" but it makes you FEEL it much more.))

Yes. Also Crookedstars promise.

Like Rainflower becomes a jerk and hates him

Shellfur gets sick

Oakheart dies in a rockfall

Willowbreeze and two of his kits die

Silverstream dies during birth

Feathertail dies

Because of his dumb promise and MAPLESHADE. URRRR MAPLESHAD DIE ALREADY

'Wintergirls' by Laurie Halse Anderson.

it hits really close to home for me.

It's about a girl with anorexia who's trying to deal with the death of her childhood best friend.

I like Mapleshade. She is in my point of view, the most dimensional character of all. She had her reasons. She was betrayed, and her kits died too. Her mate swore to Starclan, but he broke that promise. Crookedstar should never have been born.

But still, ist's not how many characters die. It's how well it connects to you.

I like Mapleshade. She is in my point of view, the most dimensional character of all. She had her reasons. She was betrayed, and her kits died too. Her mate swore to Starclan, but he broke that promise. Crookedstar should never have been born.

But still, ist's not how many characters die. It's how well it connects to you.

Crookedstar was an amazing leader.

And Mapleshade is just a dumb censorkip.gif who has no life and just NEEDS revenge.

"Never let me go" by Kazuo Ishiguro was damn sad. I know you could tell right from the beginning how the book will end but I still cried at the end.

Also the last book of the Bartimaeus trilogy... why such an ending, Stroud? sad.gif

Erin Hunter-Warriors Last hope

The reason i picked this one is because the story is finally over after so many books and deaths. It was hard for me cause when i was in grade school years ago it was my favorite series. It was worth the years of wait as well.

Eragon had a few moments, but Quest For The Faradawn and the Dragonlance series both made me cry multiple times... So many characters dying sad.gif

"Der Spatz Phillipi" a children's book I inherited from my mum - always makes me cry with the end. I guess it's like Old Yeller in taht regard, only this book makes you cry over a sparrow.

Anything by Guy Gavriel Kay - I don't think I've read any book/series by him that didn't ahve me in tears by the end of the book.

"The last Unicorn" didn't have me cry but very melancholic all in the right ways, because Peter S. Beagle is awesome.

Sandman - The Kindly ones (yeah I know technically a comic, but anyone who has read good comics knows they are at least as awesome as good books in their own way and it definitely moved me at least as much as the above books) If Neil Gaiman isn't a minor deity in some pantheon by now - he should be.

(I love fantasy with a sad touch.)

Edited by herk

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green. Damn thing made me cry at least five times. Long live the love between Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace Lancaster! *sob*

Edit:

Thirteen reasons why...
Oh. That was a sad one too. I read that... Three years ago. That's why I didn't remember it right away. But I loved the end. Edited by Mousia

I just skimmed through this thread and I've only read maybe five out of all the books mentioned. None of them made me cry. ._.

I remember a book called Toes about a cat and a violinist that was pretty sad near the end!! I don't remember if I cried at that though. I usually try to stay away from sad things unless they're meaningful in some way.

Feed by Mira Grant.

I was absolutely sobbing. Ugh. But such a good book. I need to get my hands on the rest of the series.

The Sorrows of Young Werther by J. W. von Goethe (read it at Project Gutenberg if you wish)

This book has such intense emotion in it that even I felt affected by it (I'm actually rather emotionless). Werther's growing heartache is incredibly powerful and you can't help but feel sympathy and pity for him.

...And the ending easily had the most emotional impact. Let's just say it's an unhappy ending for Werther and leave the spoilers at that.

Edited by Beldarius

The Inheiritance Cycle and Twilight make me cry over the slow, gradual demise of literacy.

No, seriously, Old Yeller made me cry. I saw a couple of people say Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry was sad, but it gave me a sense of frustration more than anything else.

The Sorrows of Young Werther by J. W. von Goethe (read it at Project Gutenberg if you wish)

This book has such intense emotion in it that even I felt affected by it (I'm actually rather emotionless). Werther's growing heartache is incredibly powerful and you can't help but feel sympathy and pity for him.

...And the ending easily had the most emotional impact. Let's just say it's an unhappy ending for Werther and leave the spoilers at that.

You're not the only one - that book actually inspired a spike in adolescent suicide when it first came out in 1774 - the effect is even called Werther-Effekt in 1970's psychology.

Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut.

It's just sad that the nothing ever works out for the protagonist and when something finally does work out for him he does what he does at the end

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The ending almost made me cry ;-;

Another one is Warriors: The Last Hope by Erin Hunter

Ok, the ending here made me cry.....

I usually don't read sad books for reason...

Every book written by Torey Hayden. Those "true story abuse/neglect/disturbing situations with kids" books *really* get to me.

Somebody who's read Torey Hayden! I thought I was the only one!

(Mind you, they don't make me cry, but still... unless you count the tears of laughter at the painted rabbit poop incident in One Child.)

The Day the World Came to Town: 911 in Gander, Newfoundland - I only read this with tissues handy!

I haven't read many books that I've teared up over, but three by Richard Adams - Watership Down, The Plague Dogs, and Traveller are excptions. Of the three, I have to say that The Plague Dogs was the saddest, although its been a long time since I've read the book, and even longer since I saw the movie. If I recall correctly, the animated film had a sadder ending than the book.

Edited by casprrr

Charlotte's Web & Whistle And I'll Come are the only two books ever to make me cry. Edited by Fortune86

Cell by Stephen King was definitely the saddest story I've ever read(That I can even remember, I've read hundreds of books in my life, so I can't remember all of them, can I?). Even though it's actually full of action and comedy, the ending is incredibly depressing.