sarrepta1

The saddest books

Alex & Me, by far, especially having lost birds myself. I only read the blurb and skimmed a few pages and completely broke down so badly, I had to leave it at the store.

For books I've actually read all the way through... maybe either Bluestar's Prophecy or Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Edited by PollyCockatrice

I don't usually cry at books, however any dog books make me cry, because the dog usually dies at the end. Also, when I was younger, I cried at Misty of Chincoteague.

Warriors Don't remember which one. When CinderPelt dies in a badger attack I was bawling my eyes out! I was 9!

Hunger Games- The Mocking Jay. That book ripped my heart out.

Yeah, a few of my pages are still ruined from teardrops. sad.gif

I'm going to try to avoid mentioning any that have already been named, so these are what I have left over after weeding out those titles.

The Pit Dragon Trilogy by Jane Yolen had many moments that made me tear up... I can't remember what the three novels are called individually; I got them bound in one book, so I would have to get it out to check the individual titles.

I also cried quite heavily at the end of The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings... I don't tend to cry heavily at novels; usually tears for fictional characters are little more than a few sniffs and a moment to collect myself. This one really struck home for me, though.

I can think of a few other sad moments in various novels I've read, but none are in particularly sad stories, so I'll not include them for now.

Every book written by Torey Hayden. Those "true story abuse/neglect/disturbing situations with kids" books *really* get to me.

Other then that, mostly YA books... Most of the Thoroughbred series made me cry.

The Pit Dragon Trilogy by Jane Yolen had many moments that made me tear up... I can't remember what the three novels are called individually; I got them bound in one book, so I would have to get it out to check the individual titles.

I had those books freaking memorized when I was a teen. Fantastic and yes, so sad. There's a fourth one out, too, that I got partway through, but . . . that was sad 'cause I didn't like it as much. tongue.gif

Tuareg... It was my second "adult" book, I grew up when I read it lol I'd never cried so much with a book until I read Hedwig's death in Deadly Hallows...

Numbers - Den Tod im Blick

In english "seeing the death" I suppose.

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS BY JOHN GREEN!

OH MY GOSH, YES! I WAS SCANNING THROUGH THIS THREAD JUST FOR THIS. I absolutely love John Green's writing and especially in TFiOS.

I also definitely agree with Where The Red Fern Grows even though I hardly remember reading it as it was so long ago.

Yasutaka Tsutsui's 'Hell'. It's very interesting but I had to lay it aside for a while because it depressed me... If you like sad books, I do recommend this strongly.

These two are so different than everyone else's, and you have to read into them carefully to understand why they're sad.

Anne Rice - Interview with the Vampire

This entire story is so beautifully written, and it has a somber tone. It follows the life of a vampire named Louis, who lost some loved ones before he was turned. He has a lingering respect for life throughout the book, and hates taking human life. He makes some "friends" along the way, and I won't spoil the rest. But the end of Louis' story is very sad to me.

Thomas Harris - The Silence of the Lambs

Okay, maaaaybe you've seen the movie and not the book...or vice versa...either way. The story follows an FBI investigator who is trying to hunt down a vicious killer known as Buffalo Bill. She must go to an asylum to interview Dr. Hannibal Lecter (aka Hannibal the Cannibal), who had information on the killer. She uses Lecter's profiling to chase down the criminal. But in the entire story, all Buffalo Bill wants to do is have his own body - he wants to switch genders. He is a sad, sad man, and has extreme mental problems, but you can't help but feel sympathy for him.

Stone Fox was a sad book. There was another one, Flight of the Dragon Kyn I think, or at least it was in that series, and a scene in the middle of it just had me bawling. :[

Most of the books that came to mind have already been mentioned, but I'd like to add The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas to the pile. It takes place during WWII and tells the story of the young son of an SS-officer who forms a friendship with a jewish boy through the fence of a concentration camp. It might be an improbable plot, but it's still very touching and with a tragic end which I will not spoil.

Most of the books that came to mind have already been mentioned, but I'd like to add The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas to the pile. It takes place during WWII and tells the story of the young son of an SS-officer who forms a friendship with a jewish boy through the fence of a concentration camp. It might be an improbable plot, but it's still very touching and with a tragic end which I will not spoil.

Of WWII I would vote Mauthausen of Kambanellis. He describes his experiences as a prisoner in there.

Erin Hunter-

Bluestar's Prophecy.

SNOWFUR DIES.

MOSSKIT DIES.

MOONFLOWER DIES.

STORMTAIL BASICALLY LOVES DAPPLETAIL.

Everyone Bluestar knew died or was a grumpy guy who loved someone else.

((Really, Faireh? I didn't think so. It was just... sad. Or trying to be. It doesn't reach and get through to you. Tallstar's revenge wasn't as "sad" but it makes you FEEL it much more.))