Zacharah

If You Love Dragons...

Hey all, I'm relatively new to the forums and I just found this section on books. Needless to say, I LOVE reading. Therefore, since dragons are main staple for this site, I thought I'd mention a series that I believe most would enjoy.

It's called the Kalmar series by Elizabeth Kerner.

The first book is "Song in the Silence: The Tale of Lanen Kaelar."

The second, "The Lesser Kindred"

and the third, "Redeeming the Lost."

It's a wonderful story full of adventure, humor, action, romance and ultimate good vs. ultimate evil. Dragons are the ultimate good and demons are the ultimate evil.

What is unique to this series is that it switches character view points. One moment the story is being told by the heroes the next its being told by the villains, so anyone can enjoy these books. My husband and I have read them multiple times and I have yet to grow tired of them.

I would note that age wise, older teens on up would probably enjoy it the most. I hope that some of you might give these books a read!

Hmm, I've been looking for some new dragon books to read. I'll definitely have to check these ones out. Thanks for suggesting! smile.gif

I'll take a look at the series. It sounds like worthy reading material.

Geared toward a younger audience, it still made me wub.gif and I think y'all would enjoy it.

Dragon Slippers, Dragon Flight, Dragon Spear: All by Jessica Day George

Hehe. She also wrote some non-dragon books, too, which are worth checking out...even if it's not the topic of this discussion.

Anyway...

Geared toward a younger audience, it still made me wub.gif and I think y'all would enjoy it.

Dragon Slippers, Dragon Flight, Dragon Spear: All by Jessica Day George

Hehe. She also wrote some non-dragon books, too, which are worth checking out...even if it's not the topic of this discussion.

Anyway...

I've never heard of those. I'll have to give them a read.

Another fun dragon book is by Susan Fletcher called Dragon's Milk. It's for age group 9ish to 12. I think it's actually the first book in a series but I can't remember the other books. I believe the next is Flight of the Dragon Kyn and then Sign of the Dove. Geared more towards girls and a fun adventure tale. smile.gif

I've read the Inheritance Series too! I can't wait for the last book to be released this November! I'm going to have to hurry and reread the series so my memory is refreshed for the finale!

Yes, I'm a geek and I'm okay with that. biggrin.gif Anybody else have any recommendations for books focused on dragons?

Backing up the mention Dragon Slippers, Dragon Flight, and Dragon Spear, they're three of my favorite books xd.png

I've read several of the books mentioned here (the less I say of Paolini's... work, the better), but these are the only ones that actually managed to do it right. The characters, dragon and human, all have interesting personalities, the dragons are treated as intelligent beings and equal to humans, not like some glorified horse... and it's a fantastic example of how to write in first person, too. Age group is around... 10 and up, I'd say.

Edited by Dr. Paine

I liked the Eragon series

Really? huh.gif I read the first one, Eragon, on the recommendation of my godson who loves them, and I must say I was boared to tears. It started to get interesting in the last chapter or so.

I haven't been motivated (or bored enough) to read the second one.

For the older members (and perhaps those who love Doctor Who)

The Seekers Quest Trilogy by Trish Reynolds

The books are called....

* The Witch of Dragonswan

* The Demons of Drey

* The Dragon's Legacy

http://www.zyalia.com/books.html

The Pit Dragon Chronicles by Jane Yolen is an oldie, but still a goodie happy.gif

It was originally a trilogy, but Yolen released a 4th book in 2009. She was one of my favorite authors when I was growing up, and even now I still find her narratives magical and evocative.

*nostalgia*

I would love to read some of these!! Unfortunately, no more fun activities can be added until I'm done with at least the MCAT at the end of the month, and possibly all my summer credits at uni as well. ~_~;

I really like the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, and the upcoming final book, titled Inheritance). I disagree that it's a spin off of other series, though I do agree it has been clearly influenced by some books, including Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher...or if not by that one, certainly by a similar one.

^(Possibly unknown...? Are my brother and I the only people on Earth to have read it...? Though that book is 20 years old, it's the first book I saw that had a sort of mind-link with a dragon--it's been many, many years since my brother and I read it from the primary school library. tongue.gif I've never seen it anywhere else, nor have I met others who have read it. It would be awfully nice if somebody here has heard of it or read it themselves! Oh! Looked up to see if Mr. Paolini had mentioned Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher...and, as it ends up, he did. =P He mentioned it as an influence. That's actually kind of exciting! 8D)

I am an avid reader when I'm not so stressed about crazy credits and applications! biggrin.gif I try not to narrow my selections to a particular target audience, etc. if it seems good, so I may actually read everything here so far. xd.png; Also, since Inheritance comes out in just a few months, I'm hoping to re-read the first three books before that...though admittedly, last time I decided to do that, I did it in 2-3 days. :3 Depending on if you count morning-->evening as a day or just 24 hours. tongue.gif I'm dying to finish the series! xd.png; I'd dropped off the face of the fan-verse when it came out, to prevent any spoilers...so I didn't know it had been bumped to be the third in a "cycle" instead of the last in a trilogy, as originally planned. xd.png; NASTY SHOCK as I reached the end, realizing that there was a LOT left unanswered...and then saw the page that simply read, it would be continued in Book 4! *GASP!*

Now I'm really excited to finish! =D

I'll be back if I think up more dragon books. <3 wub.gif

I love "Jeremy Thatcher Dragon Hatcher". I too had read it in elementary school. I loved it, and was depressed when I couldn't seem to find it anywhere. But the a couple of years ago I saw it in a used bookstore for super cheap. And now I keep going back to reading it all the time.

I would suggest "The Dragon Quartet" by Marjorie B. Kellogg

The Age of Fire series is good... I'll make a list of all the dragon books/series I've read and liked later though... it could end up long xd.png

Eon and it's sequal Eona (not recommended for children under 14)

The Garden of the Purple Dragon (this is the second book in a 3 book series but I can't remember the first books name)

A small list of what I could rummage up from my brain... some have been mentioned, I'm sure. (not in particular order)

* Inheritance Series

* Eon and Eona (relatively new books)

* The Last Dragon Chronicles (info on what these are)

* Dragon Rider

* Saint of Dragons (probably not recommended for those under 13)

* The Age of Fire Series (info on this one too)

* The Dragon Keeper Chronicles (Info for this)

* Dragon Riders of Pern series

* The Harper Hall Trilogy (for younger and older readers)

The last two bullet are by Anne McCathery and are really good.

and those are all series off of my head... I've read 'em all and am waiting on a few that haven't ended the series... so far their all pretty good.

Edited by Dragonhatchling

For younger readers: I'd recomend

1. Dragon in the Sock drawer

2. Dragon in the Driveway

3. Dragon in the Library

Two young children find a strange stone in the woods, which later turnsout to be an egg. The series follows their life as they attempt to raise the dragon and keep her safe.

and also The Enchanted Forest Chronicles

1. Dealing with Dragons

2. Searching for Dragons

3. Calling on Dragons

4. Talking to dragons

Cimorene is a princess that doesnt want act like a princess. She would much rather learn to sword fight and cast magic spells than behave like a proper princess. So she runs away....

I haven't seen anyone mention Anne McCathery's Dragonriders of Pern series, but they are all really good.

And Im currently reading The Dragon Prince series, which is good but dragons are not the main focus so may not be what your looking for.

As for things already mentioned, Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher was a favorite when I was younger. Jessica Day George's trilogy is excellent. I did enjoy the Inheritance series. Dragon Rider is pretty good. The Last Dragon chronicles are neat but get harder to understand as the series progresses.

And wow, there are one or two books listed here I've never seen...going to have to look for them. (I buy/read all books that have anything to do with dragons) biggrin.gif

A small list of what I could rummage up from my brain... some have been mentioned, I'm sure. (not in particular order)

* Inheritance Series

* Eon and Eona (relatively new books)

* The Last Dragon Chronicles (info on what these are)

* Dragon Rider

* Saint of Dragons (probably not recommended for those under 13)

* The Age of Fire Series (info on this one too)

* The Dragon Keeper Chronicles (Info for this)

* Dragon Riders of Pern series

* The Harper Hall Trilogy (for younger and older readers)

The last two bullet are by Anne McCathery and are really good.

and those are all series off of my head... I've read 'em all and am waiting on a few that haven't ended the series... so far their all pretty good.

Someone else knows about the Age of Fire series?! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and also The Enchanted Forest Chronicles

1. Dealing with Dragons

2. Searching for Dragons

3. Calling on Dragons

4. Talking to dragons

Cimorene is a princess that doesnt want act like a princess. She would much rather learn to sword fight and cast magic spells than behave like a proper princess. So she runs away....

I haven't seen anyone mention Anne McCathery's Dragonriders of Pern series, but they are all really good.

I second these LOVE the enchanted forest series by Patricia C Werde.

The dragonriders of Pern series by and it is Anne McCaffery, not Anne McCathery. some of the stories are better then others but it is a very big series and one of my favourite. Her Son Todd McCaffery is taking over for some of the Pern books and I don't like his writing style as much but that is just my personal opinion.

I personally love the Harper Hall Trilogy - dragon singer, dragonsong and dragondrums.

The White Dragon, All the Weyrs Of Pern, and the Harper of Pern.

I read Jeremy Thatcher, and I really enjoyed it! I also have the first book of The Age of Fire series.

I think I can make a recommendation: The Dragon Jousters series. Mostly the focus is on the riders, but the riders are so in love with their dragons, that the drakes influence every decision they make. The first book is a little slow, but after that, they're well-paced. They're also pretty funny, especially from the second book on.

I'd say they're best for...15+? I found them in the adult fiction section at the local library, but they're actually not that bad. No swearing, nothing too graphic, but some parts are...descriptive. In the third and fourth books, especially.

I've read this series through twice, and I haven't gotten tired of them.

I have to say the Temeraire series is... *moment of silence*.... some of the best books I have ever read. It may be that Temeraire is suited to me perfectly but I think everyone else will absolutely love it too.

In his Majesty's Service by Naomi Novik the first book in the series (Temeraire in the UK)