DarkEternity

Tinsel Survey A widespread population?

Which Tinsel colour do you have?  

866 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don´t have any Tinsel. And I also don´t have anything of value, like CB Metallics, Blacks or NDs, to trade. So it´s unlikely that I ever will get one. unsure.gif

*shrugs* I'm not too crazy about the sprite, so I'm in no hurry to even attempt collecting them. Sure I join the occasional FFA for 2nd gen ones, but that is for the trading value of the offspring.

Mmmmhmmmhmm.... what I see here seems to be two fronts (I don't mean that too harsh, please)

Those who only see what is officially announced for trade - and that's usually really "expensive" like honestly CB very rares only - and aren't very hopeful about ever getting one. I count me to this group.

And those who actually know ways to find owners, ask them and maybe more often than not, get at least an IOU. Maybe those user are more on the IRC and/or have more contacts through the Forum.

Thing is, they're still very rare. And with the lack of breeding and even longer common rows at the front page, it's not easy to get "worthy" stuff for a trade. I don't complain. I mean, sure I am honestly sad that this will be another breed I am most likely not ever to obtain, but rare prize is rare prize. Sometimes it's sad seeing scrolls that have armees of metallics, thuweds, some NDs two hollies AND already quite a few Tinsels, though... But that's life, I guess.

But well. I just have to add me to the list of many users here, erluctant to somehow track down users. For one, I don't want to ask, since I don't have anything worthy a trade. And for the other out of scare to get to one owner already sick off all the questions ^^;

So for one part it's my own "fault" I don't have an IOU or anything, yet.

So... Keeping to hunt down the cave for maybe catching my first ever CB rare (my metallics are all such messy xd.png) and maybe being able to get a trade run

Yosh. Won't give up on it World didn't end yesterday, so I still have time xd.png.

Edited by shirubaaneko

nah,

i think the people who have them are just being greedy, asking for impossible stuff. mad.gif

they can breed a tunsel anytime, a friend or a nice person who has one could just easily breed one and gift it.

w.t.f

THAT is really rude, I know very many people who only gift Tinsels.

nah,

i think the people who have them are just being greedy, asking for impossible stuff. mad.gif

they can breed a tunsel anytime, a friend or a nice person who has one could just easily breed one and gift it.

w.t.f

Not to start a huge debate, but i have to say this:

Tinsels ARE probably some of the rarest dragons right now. They're on par with hollies right now for rarity, and everyone knows just how hard it is to get hollies during christmas season.

And if you have a tinsel, you have the right to ask for the rare things, simply because they ARE incredibly rare. It doesn't make sense to trade a CB gold for an inbred balloon, so why would tinsel owners do the same when it comes to tinsels?

And with this breeding drought, tinsels are being affected as well. So they aren't being bred every week and just hoarded. And most tinsel owners have incredibly long lists of people who want tinsels, so we can't accommodate every single last person who asks for a tinsel. But sure, I have gifted a couple to friends and family, and I've gifted a couple to random people who ask for a tinsel really politely. But we still can't deal with the thousands of people on DC, because there aren't very many tinsels out there.

So sorry if it seems like that we're hoarding, but what else can we do? There's no way that everyone in the world can get tinsels right away.

I don't have any, but I'm not really trying right now because they're so rare.

I have my bronze, but I've mostly gifted her offspring and since I feel really awkward PMing people to breed for me I haven't had a chance at the silver and gold ones. Hopefully someone will be nice enough to swap for a 2nd gen bronze once I'm done with my current list. *optimistic*

To those who feel they won't ever be able to get a Tinsel because they don't have anything really rare to offer as a trade...people gift. Seriously, they do. I'm pretty sure there are several DCers who will breed their Tinsels to give to others who don't have any yet, so don't lose hope.

I don't have any and I'm not looking for any. I hate contests and the whole thing was very upsetting for me and I'd rather not be reminded of it. Some day when they're common enough that your average player can occasionally pick one up off the AP, I might grab one of each just for scroll completion, but right now I don't want them.

I got one. Was very lucky to get it. But Idril is right they are going for alot.png of crazy hard to get things now. The only bad part about owing one is the begging and it kinda kills tradeing for common things.

I REALLY don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, or single anyone out, but I think it would be sensible to speak up regarding those who are effectively trying to tell Tinsel owners how to play.

I'd consider that the main point is not the many angelic persons gifting, but the fact that these are their dragons to do with as they choose.

It's not even the point that someone winning a CB/being gifted/traded a nicely-lineaged Tinsel may have the offspring providing their only chance of getting dragons that they need for breeding or scroll completion - but that this is a dragon collecting game and that hard-to-come-by dragons owned by individuals aren't actually community property.

Another important and highly relevant point is that people gifting specific persons, even where random strangers are chosen, are typically hoping to gift to nice people, and probably are less likely to select those who state that Tinsel owners should gift not people that they know to be nice or who they may wish to repay for past favours, but them.

In illustration of this point, the following scenario:

I know that whenever I get Tinsels, (as I believe many/most of us eventually will) I already have a lengthy list of people I'd like to offer offspring to, and will probably never cover that list, (most of whom will probably have better than I could provide by then, anyway, lol) as there are so many wonderful people on DC that I know or know of.

But as I don't plan on mentioning anything until (well, until I have a Tinsel to breed in the first place, lol) one is produced, there may be times when I'm so struck by outstanding decency in someone I don't know from a hole in the ground that I wind up gifting that person instead, that time.

I am definitely not going to be tempted to gift someone who demands it.

(Probably a moot point in my case, lol, but I suspect that it holds for many people.)

We tend to notice posts where people are asking for CB metallics or Neglected dragons in trade for Tinsels, where they stand out because these dragons are so difficult to come by, and so rarely seen by many of us.

We don't see the many cases of quiet gifting, where people may not even want to publicly thank and thereby identify the gifter for fear of bringing down an inundation of begging PMs on their benefactor's heads and inbox.

Hang in there, and I'll bet that someday virtually all of us will have Tinsel adorning our scrolls - it just might take a while.

I've not the connections to ask for a Tinsel. I think I'm not very connected to the people on this site, in general (no family members or siblings here). Therefore, I don't like to ask people I've never known, ever, for a tinsel. To put it euphemistically, it forces me to feel thankful for what I already have (which is a lot. Only by comparing it to what others have it seems like less C:)

I know there's a pretty decent rule that, if you're generous, people will be generous back. Those who are generous usually have enough rare dragons themselves to be generous to others, though. Regardless, generosity is appreciated, applauded, and lauded (passive voice, oops).

People also enjoy having the feeling of power that comes with having a tinsel. You can ask whatever you want for it, but you can also gain the title of "extremely generous" by gifting it. I think that's what people are generally looking for when they trade for a tinsel.

Lastly, I understand that I'm starting to sound angry, but acknowledge that I shouldn't. This game naturally becomes plutocratic in nature because some dragons are given more value than others, and that encourages the competitive atmosphere to collect more dragons. It's important to understand that, in the end, you still have however much you earn in real life, and that's what affects your future the most.

I was surprise gifted my silver tinsel. I knew I was getting a neb from this person, but they caught me while I was on my laptop at an auction. Thought it was the neb until I saw the lineage... beautifully disasterous silver. The silver's mate was to be kiled to produce the alternating stairstep with a gravestone. A breed I wish to continue.

so to answer: suskekun222. People do give them away. As for impossible stuffs, if it is obtainable, it's not impossible - difficult perhaps. I've yet to see someone asking to trade a tinsel for a duck egg.

As it Stands, I have yet been unable to breed a tinsel from my gift. There are a couple people I would wish to gift to. Others I would like to surprise gift to. I would possibly trade if I felt the need. But I would not gift to someone who begs, whines or grumbles for one.

As it was stated, these are very rare yet. Not everyone has one, breeding drought makes it a pain in the rumpus to get one. Good things will come to those who wait.

The problem with that is most of us don't have prior rep with people who were lucky enough to get Tinsels. I've gifted plenty of times, but there isn't anyone that I have maintained regular contact with, and I imagine manymany others are in the same boat. Honestly, I don't even remember the name of most of the people I've helped or "over traded" to.

For me is worst since I have never gifted. Instead I just breed my metalics and when (if) they breed another metalic I just abandon it for whoever is looking the AP right now, since that's the way I got my own metalics and I want to do the same for other players.

I also do the same with a coulpe of lineages that for some reason some people liked enough to ask me if the egg from that lineage was for a trade and I even got a nice mate for my 2nd gen Silver to do the same (though I haven't had any luck breeding them), because most metalics in the AP have a messy lineage and a finding (without a trade!) with a good lineage can make the day for many people~

The point is: I don't have a rep. Plus I don't really keep contact with the few people I have made trades with (though I keep the pms I exchanges with them, so I even if I forget their names I still have a way to remember).

Many people said the chat is a good way to know people, make friends and maybe the chance of a FFA or finding a trade with a not so high price like in the forum.

That's wonderful! But I don't have many time (thanks to work) and... well, there is the language barrier... I don't even feel confortable writing in the forum because I know my English is far from good and I would feel worse in the chat.

And asking people I don't know it's something I'll never do. They probably have a list of people to gift or trade with and/or are probably tired of getting requests from random people.

This all doesn't make me extremely sad, but all in all I still wish I could get a Tinsel someday. Knowing that if I ever get a Tinsel it could take years (like with Hollies) it's just a little disappointing.

I'd just like to comment to the people who say that they're not very connected here in the forums and that's why they aren't on any lists yet. You don't need to have familty/RL friends/etc. to be connected with lots of awesome people here. You just have to get involved. If you hop into an ongoing and active lineage and actively participate in it, you're going to get to know the people in it.

I don't have any RL people here that I know. I've made a bunch of friends through chatting in IRC or MSN while discussing our projects. It's all a matter of what you're willing to invest here, of your time and involvement.

I've got none. But I think, as time goes more and more people will have them, after all for a while when metallic breeding gets really bad Silvi's lair stats show more tinsels than regular gold or silver, so eventually they should become easier to get. I'll be happy if I can get one eventually, although low gen would be very nice. smile.gif

I've yet to see someone asking to trade a tinsel for a duck egg.

I should totally do that next time. Just 'cause. laugh.gif

For my part, I've both gifted and traded, though both are severely limited by poor breeding rates.

Gifted, because there are people who have helped me, made a good impression, or otherwise seemed deserving.

Traded, because that's the only way I'm likely to get certain dragons, and I'm not about to forfeit that chance just because some others don't think it's "fair" to them. But even when I've traded them, it hasn't been exclusively for CB metallics, like this thread seems to focus on. Sure, I ask for them. Who wouldn't? But I tend to list out several other less difficult options, too. And I have seen numerous other tinsel trade posts that are also asking for alternate trades. So if you're not seeing anything but CB metallic/ND/tinsel-swap requests, you're not looking very well.

Just a quick browse through a few pages of the trade post reveals this about tinsel trading...

Looking for:

*CB metallics/similarly lineaged tinsels

*2 CB metallics/one CB metallics and one CB ND/low-gen tinsel

*(bbik's post which is all sort of commons with specific lineages)

*low-gen metallics/CB stripe/promise of Holidays (huge 6th gen)

*CB stripe (messy 7th gen thuwed)

*CB metals/other tinsels

I'll stop there, but I'm just trying to show that the majority of trades are for almost impossible things.

Ultimately, I do agree that many people are gifting to random people or trading for commons, but I'm unwilling to agree that the majority of tinsels aren't going for CB metals.

I don't have any as well and I don't have very many I could offer for possibly one aside from my CB gold and maybe my CB thunder. I do have the crazy temptation to catch 'em all though but I don't go insane.

Just a quick browse through a few pages of the trade post reveals this about tinsel trading...

Looking for:

*CB metallics/similarly lineaged tinsels

*2 CB metallics/one CB metallics and one CB ND/low-gen tinsel

*(bbik's post which is all sort of commons with specific lineages)

*low-gen metallics/CB stripe/promise of Holidays (huge 6th gen)

*CB stripe (messy 7th gen thuwed)

*CB metals/other tinsels

I'll stop there, but I'm just trying to show that the majority of trades are for almost impossible things.

Ultimately, I do agree that many people are gifting to random people or trading for commons, but I'm unwilling to agree that the majority of tinsels aren't going for CB metals.

Okay, I am a tinsel trader, and I admit that we do ask for these things.

However, how many offers with CB metals do I actually get?

None. tongue.gif Okay fine, one, but that was when there were like 3 bred tinsels out there.

I do, however, get offers for inbred balloons and "plz plz plz ill giv3 u 3v3ry th1ng th4t i h4v3 0n my scrll 4nd br33d1ng pr0mi$3$ 3xcept th3 rares plz plz plz plz plz".

I don't really want to speak for all tinsel owners here, because it could be just me, but most of us do expect to get quite a bit of stuff for tinsels. So while CB metals may be unrealistic for some people, it's still a possibility. So I'm willing to compromise when I trade, but I'm not willing to trade tinsels away for close-to-nothing, which is what some people expect.

Okay, I am a tinsel trader, and I admit that we do ask for these things.

However, how many offers with CB metals do I actually get?

None. tongue.gif Okay fine, one, but that was when there were like 3 bred tinsels out there.

I do, however, get offers for inbred balloons and "plz plz plz ill giv3 u 3v3ry th1ng th4t i h4v3 0n my scrll 4nd br33d1ng pr0mi$3$ 3xcept th3 rares plz plz plz plz plz".

I don't really want to speak for all tinsel owners here, because it could be just me, but most of us do expect to get quite a bit of stuff for tinsels. So while CB metals may be unrealistic for some people, it's still a possibility. So I'm willing to compromise when I trade, but I'm not willing to trade tinsels away for close-to-nothing, which is what some people expect.

I wouldn't expect anything less. If I had a tinsel I would only want the rares that I don't already have. Rare for rare is fair. No, the rhyming was not intentional.

I'm merely pointing out that, for most of us, it is next to impossible to get a tinsel wink.gif

If I had a tinsel, I'd do the same, try to get a CB silver and gold (which I'm not getting any other way, heck, I'm having issues trying to catch BBW for breeding proyects).

I don't have one. I'd like to get a bronze one, it's really nice, but I won't whine for being an atrocious hunter, and not being able to get one. I have enough whinning about commons like whites become insanely rare. tongue.gif

However, I admit that, if I had tinsels, I would more than occasionally drop at the AP, just like I do with my trios whenever I manage to get trio eggs.

i currently have 3 bronzes, 1 silver, and one gold tinsel. SO yeah xd.png

i feel bad for the tinsel owner because people pming them too much and they simply don't gave up

I guess I could ask the people with CB prize dragons if I could eventually be added to a list. I don't mind having to wait a long time...I just want to be able to complete my lineage. I also don't know who owns CB prizes except for a few people. I never wrote down any names or tracked anything down. even if I did know who had them, I have trouble asking for things from strangers, especially if it's something rare...which I had never asked for yet.