kolodragon

The Island of Hope

Tashrin fell asleep still holding the rock. The rain was soothing now. He was tired from all that walking and fighting against wind. All he wanted to do now is get some sleep again.

((Short post is short))

Scared of the storm and wondering where the only other that she had seen before went; the dragonlet scooted back into the cave, curling into herself. She didn't know how to locate anyone else, didn't know what anyone else would look like or act like. All that she knew was that she was cold, and tired after breaking out of her egg. Wedging herself between two rocks, the swallowtail hatchling drifted off to sleep. She was still alert enough to wake herself up if she heard something though...

Maybe after the storm was over she would give the more colorful world outside of the cave a look. She knew that water wouldn't fall from the sky forever; and things had to get warmer soon, right?

It was raining very hard, the winds were howling between the trees, lightning bolts flashed across the sky from time to time, and yet Ashur was perfectly safe, what with Sapphire's protection. Now that he had this chance to reflect upon what a tempest was striking their island, he couldn't help but find it somehow familiar. Once again... another memory pierced his mind and overpowered his consciousness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the much expected blur faded away, Ashur found himself in a rather different to his other flashbacks' predicament. He was in a cozy room with stone walls, a giant sleeping area and bookshelves upon bookshelves covering the walls. Several cabinets, a few paintings hanging from the walls and a fireplace, lit and keeping the chamber warm. Involuntarily, he glanced outside the window, and saw a strikingly similar storm raging outside. The clashing of the thunderbolts echoed though his mind, and the rain falling gave a mesmerizing background noise.

The door to the chamber swung open, and a female neotropical entered. He nodded her head in greeting and said quietly: 'Some weather we're having. beats the summer heat though. -and walked over to Ashur, sitting down beside him.

'Aye. I thought the earth would split in two from the drought. can't just allow it, you know... But I may have overdone it... -he answered involuntarily, as the flashback forced back his questions of who she was and where he was.

'Nooo... well, maybe a little. Or a lot... Everyone is out of the rain, that's all that matters. -the neotropical answered and smiled lightly.

'Can you imagine the guardian's face if someone was still out there... seriously. -he arched an eyebrow, then added- 'Did you hear that?

The hatchling had failed to pick up on whomever's eyes he was watching through had heard. But the second sound was quite clear. The noise of a crashing wall, just a room away. A few seconds later, the wall to their chamber came crashing down with a deafening amount of noise, and just as the grey was going to see what had caused it, all he could pick up was a large silhouette, before the flashback ended.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The grey squeaked in mind terror, once the flashback was over. He remembered more things still, more words, and more things that just didn't make sense. He curled up tightly and started to shiver... whatever he could remember now, it was not a pretty picture.

Nexote, after many tries, made her cloud levitate her over to where Sapphire was.

Seeing Sapphire with two hatchlings clinging to her leg, she thought of laughing, but thunder rumbled again, and she was whimpering.

"Sap-fire? What happen? I scared."

((Yes, short post.))

"A storm is happening, Nexote." Sapphire said as she pulled the daydream's cloud down into the protection of her wings so that she would not have to fight the wind any longer. Ashur had curled up in one of her wings, sleeping, Sapphire figured. She now knew that all the hatchling were safe, she picked the grey hatchling up with her mouth and carried the two others in her forelegs. She glided the whole way to the clearing, and set Tashrin, Ashur, and Nexote down. The trees above gave adequate protection from the rain, blocking about half of the water pouring down from the sky. Sapphire then looked around for a good spot to start a rain cave.

Edited by kolodragon

((O.o I was ninja'd *is oblivious*))

Kyitei followed the cloud as it lowered towards the ground. Sapphire came into veiw. He ran over and tapped her on the foot.

"Pinky!"

Venarria made the final, toiling wingbeats before she tumbled onto the shore of Island of Hope. Her muscles were fatigued beyond further use, and her mouth was yearning for water. She shifted ever so slowly to a more comfortable position on the sand. A gust of wind tossed sand into her emerald eyes, but they still glowed with hope.

After the wind, the magi struggled to lift her battered head and sniffed the air. She smelled not adult dragons, but hatchlings and eggs. What has happened here? she thought silently, because her mouth was trembling from being tensed during her long flight.

Venarria's best guess was disaster of some sort, but she was too terribly tired to think any longer. She allowed her head to fall into the sand, and her eyelids drift closed. A long sleep was one to be treasured.

As Tashrin looked at his stone again "Sap-Sapf-Sapphire? This used to be sh-shin-shiny. Water dragon formed said her name was Ab-Abr-Abrena."he said looking at the stone. "then blue was all around thu-though it was calming. then water dragon vanished and shiny stone now this." he said trying to explain it. "Now I can do this." he said and looking at a puddle and had the water rise a bit then then the water moved and then dropped and went back into a puddle. He was still wide eye'd when he did it to.

Ass Sapphire sat down underneath the protection of her tree, she sighed as all the hatchling talked to her at once, the only hatchling who actually drew her attention was Tashrin when he morphed water and spoke of her dragon named Abrena. Abrena, did she know an Abrena...of course, memories of the guardian dragon surged through Sapphire's mind, she remembered teaching the dragon how to fly, mending her broken wings, diving for pet fish, and an attack by wolves that ended her 'father's' life. Tears overcame Sapphire as she remembered the times she had spent with Abrena, Sapphire sincerely missed all the dragons she had painstakingly raised before, how could she have forgotten? Tashrin even had the same ability given to Abrena. The tears looked nothing different from rain as Sapphire wiped her eyes, the seasonal closed her eyes and thought, This is the present, that was the past, I have hatchlings that I must help raise to become responsible adult dragons, the island must keep on hoping. With that, Sapphire slowly drifted off into a peaceful slumber, with the whistling of leaves, and the pattering of the endless rain as her lullaby.

After a considerable amount of time, another wind shook Vena from her sleep. She sighed, and groaned as she brought herself to her feet. Rather than flying, which seemed too great a task still, she lumbered through the sand towards the scent of the young dragons. As she made her way through the soft grass, she began to realize where she had come. A wide grin spread across her muzzle. This was the place her friends had told her stories about. This was the place she always went to in her dreams.

Venarria quickened her pace a bit, enlightened. It was Island of Hope, wasn't it? All she could do was hope. She slowed as the scent grew even stronger, and began to move a bit more stealthily. Seeing a tree, the Magi stopped and sat on the ground below. "Hello?" she called.

Tashrin looked at Sapphire as she had seemed to quietly weep. He went up to her thinking he did something wrong. "Sorry." he said then laid down and curled up against her and rested his little head on his front paws. He did not mean to hurt her feelings. He sighed and stared at a puddle seeing what shapes he could make the water go into. Most of which right now where oddly shaped blobs in the puddle area. He failed to hear the hello from the grown magi.

Edited by little lost dragon

Kyitei lay down by Sapphire, who was quietly crying. He wanted to make her feel better bu he didn't understand why she was crying. Another hatchling was making shapes with the water.

"Oh, oh. How dat dun?" Kyitei asked, poking a blob. What fun these would be!

"Hello!" The greeting floated by Kyitei. He perked up his ears.

"New! Dragon new!" He ran around in a circle before he could see a magi dragon at the bottom of a tree. He waved his tail at her.

"Hello hello!" He called back and a happy voice.

Venarria chuckled. "What are you little ones up to?" she inquired, flicking her tail. "And are you the only ones here? No adults?" This had been puzzling her, because she was much used to the scent of adult dragons. But here, it was not present and she simply could not fathom why. Now her eyes glittered with inquiry and a sudden urge to mother, but she couldn't frighten the hatchlings by flying up.

Nexote noticed Sapphire was crying. She looked at the Seasonal and wanted to try cheer her up. She didn't know how, so she went over, and hugged her .

"Thank you Sap-fire." She then deattached herself from Sapphire and floated.

Then, Nexote heard a voice she was unfamiliar with. It said "Hello?".

The hatchling nudged Sapphire gently. "Dwagon here. Say hello."

After she saw the new dragon, she stared. The dragon looked a lot like the orange hatchling, but bigger and with wings. She cautiously floated over to the magi.

"Hello? You are who?"

Edited by Durppie

Getting up from the ground, cautiously looking about for any signs of the bad things he'd remembered, Ashur sighed anxiously and went to trying to figure out the new words he'd remembered.

'Okay... so, we are on an island... away... far from the rest of... -he gritted his little teeth with frustration, still failing to find the right word. Disregarding that attempt at a sentence, he moved on.

'This were... was... a storm. There was flashies... errrh... -he struggled to form a coherent sentence and struggled with the word "lightning". Tossing that attempt at a sentence aside. he moved onto the last.

'Uhhhm... I'm hungry... -he ended the attempts, seeing as despite all the memories, there was still much left to learn before Ashur could fully speak.

Glancing over to the seasonal, he couldn't help but note she was crying.

'Did I do something? -the grey wondered, walked over to Sapphire, in front of her face and asked quietly- 'What wrong?

Edited by Ælex

Kyitei bounced. She TALKED!

"Sapphire adult!" He said importantly. Sapphire could take care of them.

"Her here!" She shouted pointing at Sapphire on the ground. "She's sad."

The pink cloud had risen again but Kyitei was fed up with it. He couldn't catch it.

"Cheer up Sapphire!" He asked.

((I like how an hour ago I was complaining to myself a little about sudden 'inactivity' (was watching Assassin's Creed anyways) and just now I was ninja'd by four different people.))

All the commotion quickly woke Sapphire up, an adult magi stood in the rain of the clearing. Sapphire carefully set the hatchling clinging to her in a bed up moss and walked up to Venarria. "Hello, my name is Sapphire, you probably heard of this island from my 'grandmother', also known as Sapphire, you were probably also told about my mother Ruby. Sadly, the weather was not very kind to us, and the dragons you see are the only that inhabit the island. I have been raising the young here for quite a long time.." Sapphire trailed of for a while with a sad look on her face and then continued, "I may retain the body of a hatchling, but I am actually most likely older than you in age. I hope you will still stay on the island none the less and help us rebuild it." When she finished talking, Sapphire took a deep breath, the last time she said that, it was direct towards a skywing she hated with a passion.

Edited by kolodragon

Venarria gazed at the hatchlings. She pondered how to introduce herself and where she had come from, since she knew little of the hatchling's own knowledge, or it's age. Improvising, she slapped together a miniscule biography of her life and began reciting. "My name is Venarria," she said, her voice hinted with a firmness matched only by her size. "but you may call me Vena. I come from another island. I was hatched and raised there with my friends, but some dragons invaded our home and did some rather evil things, and I lost my family. So I've escaped and landed here. This is the Island of Hope, correct?"

She inhaled deeply after her story, and traced a drawing of her children in the dirt. She tilted her head towards it. "These were my hatchlings. They look like some of you. And as for rebuilding your island..." the dragon tilted her head and gazed upon the destruction. "I know not how much I can do, but I do know what I can do."

(( ninja'd D: it still makes a bit of sense though. ))

Edited by Lila

As Venarria spoke, Sapphire listen with much interest, "Vena, you didn't come from the Eclipse Isle by any chanch, did you?" the seasonal asked pointedly. "Either way, feel free to make a nest in any of the trees around here, though it would probably be best to wait until the next day comes. It's a bit wet right now." She added a tad sarcastically. The dragoness stretched an yawned, no use resting right now, not that the dragon minded not sleeping any more either way, she was used to it. Sapphire got up, took at semi-wet rabbit out of Ashur's nest, shook it dry, and brought it to the storm hatchling, she wasn't about to leave for a hunting session at the time. Afterwards, Sapphire returned to a sitting position in front of the newcomer.

Nexote pondered what the magi had said. Her name was Venarria, but they could call her Vena. She flew here and had hatchlings where she came from.

She landed on the ground to study the drawing of Venarria's hatchlings.

Then, she looked up. "This is the Island of Hope."she repeated. Later, show you island? It- it..." She tried finding a word to describe the island. "...color."

That was all she could come up with for now.

((Ah, I got ninja.gif 'd. Oh well.))

Edited by Durppie

Kyitei looked with interest at the picture and was distracted by the pink cloud again. It spoke!

"I think island of Hope pretty sun." He contradicted the cloud. Served it right!

Th magi, Vena, said she came from a place away from here.

"So more islands!" Kyitei exclaimed.

Sapphire was giving a rabbit to the grey hatchie.

Kyitei whined to show he was hungrey too.

"Yes, more islands," Venarria nodded. "The island I once lived on consisted of much more rocky terrains, and thicker forests, so it was more suitable for living. Hunting, not the easiest task. And I'd build a nest, but my wings are exhausted from such a long flight. And I apologize for my postponing the answer to your question, but no, I do not come from the place you speak of, though I was sent here by the dragon Sapphire."

She observed the dragoness called Sapphire closely, for she beared some resemblance t the dragon she spoke of now, though it was not physical she was seeing. Venarria was sensing something, but it was something she'd much rather have her mind avoid.

Tashrin looked up at the other Magi and got up and walked over to her "You same color." was the first thing he said to her. He was still picking up on words but was progressing "Will I look like you when I get your size?" he asked not entirly sure.

"Oh alright, I guess I'll have to fly to the isles if I am to learn of my brother's whereabouts." Sapphire sighed and stood up to retrieve some food for Kyitei. Venarria was staring at Sapphire as she made her way to a cherry tree, Sapphire tried not to show her uneasiness as she made her way back to the pygmy with a large clump of the crimson fruit and dropped the bundle next to the tiny, golden dragon.