crypticsoul

Witches vs Warlocks

''He needs to come as well.'' Laura said, standing up. She was referring to James, whose state of shock seemed to have vanished slightly at the sound of Abigale's voice. Laura dusted of her dress and eyed Hunter carefully. He would be getting better now that Abigale had given him the foxglove, and she didn't want to turn her back towards him so he could possibly attack. A blast of red energy entered the air, and Laura could feel lightning run across her arms, ready to attack on a moments notice. She didn't want that energy to be directed at her, but she didn't want to attack either. She didn't have too much combat experience.

Laura watched Hunter carefully, slipping into her own little world and forgetting about the other two people there. Seeing Hunter suddenly pass out brought her back to reality, and Laura snapped around to find James had already healed and Abigale trying to pick Hunter up of the ground. Laura blinked. What had she missed now? "Here, let me help." Laura said, walking over to Abigale and picking up Hunter's other arm.

“Quiet boy,“ Laura turned her head to see Holly’s familiar face scold James. “Holly,” Laura smiled at the witch, grateful to see another familiar face. As her totem started to heat up, the smile quickly disappeared. Laura froze, and letting go of Hunter, she grabbed her wrist.

--------------

A flash of red light caught Matthew’s attention. Wasn’t that one of Hunter’s so-called signals? So they had found some witches had they? How fortunate. Well, he wouldn’t want to miss out on all of the action now, would he? Matthew closed his eyes and felt his totem heat up as his body began to change shape.

The few people in the street looked shocked as the man who had been standing in the road vanished, being replaced by a small falcon. The Matthew-falcon took flight, heading toward the source of the light. It shouldn't take that long...

Matthew changed back to his human shape in the air, landing in a graceful run, like he had (secretly) practiced. “What happened here?” He asked, looking at what had used to be the apothecary's wall. Surprised to see that it had been demolished like that, Matthew didn't notice the fact that his totem wasn't cooling down. Turning around to get a better idea of what had happened, he spotted a familiar face. “Laura?” He stared at her with a shocked expression, and finally noticed that his totem was unusually hot. It was actually getting slightly uncomfortable. He remembered what that meant, and burst out laughing. “No way. They gave you the totem? Sally really has lost her mind.” Laura seemed offended as she spoke. “Sally is perfectly sane.” Her hands where on her hips, and she was glaring daggers at him.

---------------------

“Still as defensive as always, I see.” “I am not defensive.” Laura said, about ready to punch her brother. Not a word for Seven years, and this is how he decides to greet her? The nerve! Matthew raised an eyebrow at her. “I think I just proved my point.” Laura stomped her foot and glared at him. “Ugh!” He made her feel like such a child!

Edited by coralkiki

"Brothers abound it seems," Abigale commented, looking between Laura and Matthew. Now that she'd let Holly take the weight of Hunter, she turned to James. Oh, he looked like such a fragile thing standing over there. He was not much younger than and she supposed she would look similar had she not been predisposed to such violence before.

Well, this was just lovely. Hunter was here, a dead weight now, and now another warlock was here! How long before another showed up? Hunter just ruined everything, didn't he? She couldn't believe she was even protecting him. She thought about letting Holly have him but...she sighed. No, she could not do that. She'd all but forgotten about the burn of her totem until then but now it seemed hotter than before. Thoughts of Hunter always did that.

"Well, as lovely as family reunions are, you are outnumbered," Abigale spoke again, this time directing her voice at Matthew. "Leave and tell any other of your kind to get out with you. I'll give you only one chance and Cato here will see to it that you heed my warning," she said, glancing up at the falcon that had perched itself on the roof behind her. Cato was watching Matthew intently, his dark eyes never wavering. "So get out of here."

Edited by crypticsoul

((Hey guys, I just joined.))

Felicity Mayburn slipped out of the apartment where she lived with the old witch. Felicity could not remember the woman's name for anything, and she kind of felt bad about it. However, the two had been living together for three years, and Felicity felt it was pointless to ask now, since she would look like an idiot. The witch treated Felicity like her daughter, and hardly let Felicity out of the apartment. When she did, she was never alone, Felicity always had the old woman with her.

Felicity walked quickly and quietly out of Witch's Alley and breathed a sigh of relief. The elderly witch hadn't caught her. Felicity had snuck out while the woman was sleeping. The woman had the ears of a dog, so Felicity was suprised by the fact that she hadn't been caught in the act. "Ah, well. I got out anyway." She smiled to herself as she skipped down the road, her braids flying back behind her. Felicity sometimes braided her hair, so as to look younger than her natural nineteen. The petite woman stopped at the bakery and picked up a loaf of bread. It was still warm as she put it in her basket. Now, all she needed was to get some pork from the butcher and she was ready to head home. As she walked, Felicity briefly wondered where her witch friends were.

❝〖A〗drienne〖L〗iela〖V〗ardamir ❞'Damn it all'

With a muffled curse, Adrienne crumbled the damp newspaper between her hands and all but threw it into the garbage. Leaning against the dark grey brick walls that made up the alleyway, she couldn't help by glare at the trash bin with unconcealable frustration. There was not one word, not one word that spoke of any weird doings, or anything that would hint on warlock activities. She really shouldn't be surprised though. The witches had managed to hide their existence almost perfectly, why shouldn't they? ' Because we are much more logical.' Arie thought with an annoyed frown. Ugh, those idiots ruined everything. None of these hiding games would be taking place if the newer generation warlocks had just quit whining and sucked it up. They had magic! What more did these people want? 'Whoa, lets not open that door.'

Adrienne dug into the pockets of her cloak and pulled out a small black book, her grey irises dimming. It wasn't just the warlocks Arie was trying to find, she also searched the papers for any inkling on her family, whom she fell out of touch with when she moved Oldenridge; among other things. She searched - hoping every time she parted the pages, their names wouldn't pop up. At least that way, she could convince herself that they were safe.

With a defeated sigh, Arie glanced at the garbage bin before sliding her gaze to the opening of the alley. She should probably continue moving. You pretty much ask for it if you hang out in a deserted alleyway too long. People seem to think you're fair game, especially if you're a woman and not travelling in a pack of ten or so. Turning on her heel, she couldn't resist giving the can a little kick before stepping out onto the streets. The sudden drops of cold moisture against her skin caused her to look up in surprise. When did it start snowing? Arie pulled up her grey hood, hugging the cloak closer to her body, trying to ward off the chill. Lost in somewhat of a daze, Adrienne wasn't paying attention to where she was going, which, of course, resulted in her colliding with someone who was clearly rushing to get out of the streets.

"Watch where you're going!"

Adrienne blinked at the snarling voice, staying silent as the man gave her a little shove and then continue to jog down the street, most likely trying to find shelter from the cold.

"Well... aren't you just charming?" She muttered under her breath before glancing over her shoulder and then back up the sky again. Hopefully it wouldn't rain. The cold was beginning to pick up and the last thing she needed was to get some sort of viral infection. Adrienne increased her pace, blending into the busy streets of the Common Place until she reached her desired shop. The Veneficus shop - which loosely translated was 'the magic shop', which Arie found hilarious. It was a small shop that sold parchments, writing utensils, stories and written plays. It was also a shop where you could find 'magical' items. A token to increase your chance of finding love, a potion to cure a broken heart. Silly things like that. Arie walked towards the window and cupped the space between her eyes and the glass. It wasn't completely empty, which was a little surprising. Most people were a little spooked by the shop. Which was exactly why Adrienne decided to work in it. Biting her lower lip, the young witch pulled open the doors to the shop and was welcomed by a sudden 'ding' sound that alerted the owners that a customer arrived, and a rush of warm air that caressed her cheeks into a blush.

"You're late darlin'. Mistress Inera is going to have your hide. "

Adrienne turned to face the man with the amused tone, and arched a brow at the familiar face. Peeta Kalera was one of the most arrogant men she had ever met.

"ADRIENNE! Where in heavens name have you been!?"

Adrienne turned to face the elderly woman that was making her way towards the front of the shop, using her trusty cane for support. Mistress Inera may be old, but the woman was a well kept lady, and was beyond strict. Not a single hair was out of place from her bun, and her clothes were always pressed. She had a sweet looking face, but had a temper that rivalled her own.

"Mistress Inera, I--"

"Don't you sass me chippy, I am not up to hearing it. I do not pay you to NOT show up." She snapped, punching the floor with her cane for emphasis. "Now..." She began, regaining control of herself. "Clean this place up. It's a sty." She huffed before retreating back into her study.

Pressing her lips together, Adrienne dipped her head into a nod before letting out a stream of curses. She whirled around, her gaze locking on Peeta. "What lies have you spewed about my whereabouts Peeta? I was gone for but a moment!."

Peeta took on a hurt expression. "I said nothing...You wound me with your accusations."

Adrienne stared long and hard at the blond, blue-eyed male. By the time she looked away, she had already killed him twenty seven times in her head. Pulling the hood off her head, Arie shook her chestnut curls free, allowing them to hang loosely at her hips before slipping off the grey cloak. As per custom, Arie was clad in a short-waisted grey skirt that was long enough to cover her feet, and a black bodice over a cotton, white chemise. She was not going lose her temper.

Adrienne walked over to the shelves and began organizing the dozens of parchments into their proper place. Where were the other witches? They usually came to visit her by now.

Edited by Chuzuka

“Outnumbered?” Matthew asked, slowly raising an eyebrow towards the girl. “Well, as Hunter is currently asleep and considering you’re keeping him” Matthew nodded in James’ general direction ”awake, I’m assuming James here is as lousy of a warlock as his father says he is.” He paused for some dramatic effect. “So you might have a point. The smartest, and probably sanest, thing would be just to leave. Then again...” He ran a hand through his hair and smirked at Laura, who was still glaring at him. “Our family’s never been known for brains and sanity, have they?”

---------

“They’ve never been known for holding promises either. You said you were going to visit!” Laura couldn’t help it, seeing her brother again made her feel like the 12 year old girl she had been the last time she had seen him. Matthew spoke “Well, eventually, I just didn’t have time to pop in constantly. I’m sure you’ll learn when you grow up.” That was the final straw. Lightning shot down from the sky, dangerously close to Matthew. The warlock jumped back. “Woooah!” He clearly hadn’t been expecting that, though Laura did think that he should have seen it coming.

[finally!]

"Laura!" Abigale hissed, clearly annoyed that this whole situation had gotten so out of control. She put on hand on her hip and used the other to pinch the bridge of her nose between her fingers. She let out a slow, even sigh and closed her eyes. This was a disaster. One warlock dead, an old one at that, one her brother, one Laura's brother and the last a young boy caught up in this madness and now on their side! How had this happened from such a simple trip to buy herbs?

Abigale opened her eyes and surveyed her companions. She was still taking Hunter but this Matthew needed to go or she was going to kill him. Abigale was out of patience. "This needs to end before someone comes to investigate. Do not forget we half destroyed a building and have caused quite a display of natural events," she looked at Laura for the last bit. Between her wind and Laura's lightning, the whole town would be wondering what curse had come upon them. She turned to Matthew. "Do what you like but I assure you that my strike will not miss. I give you one last-" a sharp cry from Cato cut her off and Abigale looked up. The falcon perched himself on the apothecary's roof and cried again. Another warning cry. Someone was coming! "We have to go! Now!" she whispered harshly but they did even have time to move.

"What's this ruckus then?" a voice asked and Abigale spun, eyes locking on guard's face. He was handsome and, despite nearing his thirtieth year, still retained a youthful color to his face. He had high-cheekbones and a prominent, curved nose with a week or so's stubble covering his strong jawline. The curve of his dark brow set over a pair of deep set, sherry colored eyes. His hair was swept back under his hat but the jet black ends curled out from under hat. A sudden, quizzical look crossed his face. "Abigale?"

"Hollis, yes, it's me," Abigale answered easily but beneath her solid exterior she was freaking out. Hollis! Of all the guards that could have come, it had to be him? He knew her too well, he was a dear friend and, oh, how would she explain this?

"What happened?" the guard, Hollis Daye, asked her. It was more of an inquisitive demand than a question, Abigale thought, as her mind raced to come up with an answer. She couldn't lie to him! He was too...fair! Hollis was the most decent guard in all of Oldenridge and nearly everyone liked him. He was fair and just and never accused anyone without solid proof. He was just that way and Abigale's gut wrenched at the thought of lying to him but..she had no other choice.

"My friends and I-" she gestured around to Laura and Holly, "We heard what sounded to be an explosion so we came to help. I'm afraid we found Mr. Hemlock already dead and this one here unconscious," she explained, pointing to Hunter (who was still held by Holly) before looking back at Hollis. "We think the wall must have just gave way while they were out here looking at the garden."

"The wall...just gave way?" Hollis asked and Abigale nodded, swallowing the lump that seemed to have formed in her throat. Normally, she was quite cool under pressure but it was different with Hollis. He always stirred something inside her and made her quite flustered. She hated it. "You're sure that's all that happened?"

Edited by crypticsoul

“Laura!” Abigale’s hiss made Laura’s body loose some of the tension it held. She could tell Abigale thought she’d acted rash. Taking a chance to calm down would probably be a good idea. “This needs to end before someone comes to investigate. Do not forget we half destroyed a building and have caused quite a display of natural events.” Laura huffed a little, but still she tried to relax and release the weather.

------------

Matthew jumped at the sound of the falcon’s cry. He had been busy making sure he was okay and examining the area struck by lightning, completely ignoring all the witches there. “What’s this ruckus then?” Matthew studied the newcomer carefully, looking for any familiarities in the face. Of course there was none, so he kept quiet, watching the scene evolving in front of him. “The wall… Just gave away? You’re sure that’s all that happened?” All of the witches had now had believable excuses thanks to Abigale, and it occurred to Matthew that he needed a plausible excuse of his own. If he could use what she had said… “It’s true, sir,” He said, looking towards the guard, “Mr. Hemlock has been worried about that wall for a while. He asked me to come check on it today. Though the wall had already collapsed by the time I got here.”

Abigale glanced at Matthew, wary of him. She was unsure of his motives but it seemed like he wanted out of trouble as much as they did. If she didn't go along with him, Hollis would suspect something and then he would ask more questions. Abigale did not want to answer anymore questions. "We tried, Hollis,"

"I'm sure but, pardon me, who are you?" Hollis now turned to Matthew, frowning at him. Hollis knew almost everyone in this town and he had never seen Matthew. Perhaps he was Hemlock's friend from out of town? It was not uncommon for people to get outside visitors, so he supposed he shouldn't be too surprised. Still, something about this young man troubled him. He almost had the same unnatural feel as Abigale. Not that there was anything wrong with Abigale, he thought, but there were times she didn't feel...right to him.

"He's Laura's brother, from London. He's an old friend of the Hemlock's," Abigale filled in, not giving Matthew another chance to speak. Who knew what would come out of that wizard mouth of his!

"Laura? Is that true?" Hollis asked her, turning to face her now. Abigale huffed and crossed her arms, looking away from him. What, he did not believe her! The nerve!

“He is my brother, yes.” Laura said, her voice having lost most of the angry tone from before. “Can’t you see the resemblance?” Matthew had thrown his arm around Laura’s shoulder and smiled in a slightly cheeky way. “Same nose, same pointy chin…” Laura visibly froze as he came closer and her hand grabbed her totem to protect it from her brother, who was known for being rather good at stealing jewellery right off the person wearing it. Now that the totems where so close to each other, the bracelet was actually begging to hurt and Laura wouldn’t have been surprised if there was a burn on her wrist when this whole ordeal was finished.

Laura pushed Matthew away from her and stepped over towards Abigale. She wanted to stay closer to her, just for some extra protection. When beside the other witch, she turned to Hollis to finish what she was saying before Matthew had interrupted. “As I was saying,” Her head turned tpwards Matthew, glaring for a moment before she faced Hollis again. “I don’t know how much of his story is true as I haven’t heard from him in years. So you will have to make that decision yourself.”