crypticsoul

Witches vs Warlocks

((Rainbow_Joy, your posts are too short. As co-mod of this roleplay, I'm asking you to add length to your posts. There is a requirement of 7 sentences per post, and you only have three.))

James nodded politely as Mirabelle entered the shop and replied, "Good day, Ms. Chandel. I will help you in one minute, after I attend to Ms. Laura." Then he turned and followed Laura to the outside of the shop, where the potted plants were lined up against one wall, arranged in sections and neatly labeled. Laura picked the plant up and turned to James, saying “I think this one looks good, don’t you?” James nodded. She had picked one of the healthiest, and with all of it's leaves. “I think I’ll take this one. Then I can find the rest of the plants Mercy needs.” James bowed and then said, "Very good, Ms. Laura. Would you like to purchase it now, or would you prefer to buy it after you have all that you need?" He waited quietly for an answer, politely waiting on her. She couldn't be a witch either, since that seemed impossible. Not that he suspected her, since Laura, Abigale, and the rest had been some of his best customers, and despite how much his father mistrusted women, James would still sell to them. He was in charge of the store, after all.

Edited by Darkshadow

((I fixed. I'm sorry. Just call her Mirabelle, it's kind of wierd with last names.))

"Good day Ms. Chandel. I will help you in one minute after I attend to Ms. Laura." James was so polite, unlike his father.

"Thank you, but I don't need to purchase anything right now." Mirabelle said smiling. "I'm here to see Laura and Abigale."

Mirabelle had always found it a bit awkward to talk with men because you could never know if one was a warlock or not. And a warlock would just love to discover where the witches were hidden. She sighed thinking about how her family was torn. The cool pendent rested beneath her light blue dress.

Feeling bad for not purchasing anything, Mirabelle decided she would need to make some tea later on. "Some mint would be fine though."

Odin saw a smirk cross Blacwins face, oh this can't be good. Odin knew how much he loved seeing the effect his own power had on others, in fact he usually wore a smirk identical to Blacwins. So it came as no surprise that the trip was unpleasant, but even though it wasn't a surprise, that fact didn't make the experience any better.

It felt like he was being pulled forward by his ribs, leaving his head and stomach to trail several feet behind. Odin had to close his eyes, the world rushing past was making his head dizzy and his belly ill. When the second lurch finally came, Odin had to put out one hand out to brace himself on a wall, his eyes still shut tight.

Several deep breaths later he opened his eyes to find Blacwin still smirking at them. Yep, Odin disliked him, but he had to admit that if they were in Oldenridge, the mans power was extremely useful.

He straightened, still gripping his cane in one hand. He could hear the sounds of a busy market somewhere close by, and the position of the sun told him that it really hadn't taken them long to get here.

"So shall we say meet back here around sunset to travel back and exchange information. That should give us enough time here, am I right?"

((I'll post Mercy when I'm less tired))

Abigale looked over her shoulder when Mirabelle entered and smiled slightly. "Hello, Mirabelle." she greeted, absently wondering if they were all going to end up gathered here before the afternoon was over. It was beginning to look that way. She looked back to the anise she'd been studying and picked up a good sized bundle, which she planned to buy for Mercy, before looking back at Mirabelle when she spoke again. "I am not sure. She just gave Mercy a list of things to collect and I am only helping her out. I suspect her stock must be low."

She glanced at where Laura and James had disappeared, knowing there was reason to think James would harm her but unable to keep from looking. She just couldn't get it out of her mind. A warlock...but he is harmless! So kind and a perfect gentlemen, I should not be so paranoid, she told herself but she let out a sigh relief when both of them returned-unharmed. "What else is on our list, Laura?" she called but the cry of a falcon distracted her. Cato...?

--

Hunter braced himself, for he knew this was about to get unpleasant, and bit back a startled gasp when his insides were suddenly being tugged forward and his body left behind. The trip felt long and brief at the same time, making him dizzy and he stumbled when the world finally stopped spinning.

"My God, Blacwin, a warning next time, yeah?" he muttered, running a hand through his hair as he glanced at the other man. He straightened and looked around, adjusting his jacket as he did so. Yes, this was it! Blacwin had done it. Amazing! Simple amazing! He looked at Odin when he spoke, instantly agreeing.

"I think that should give us plenty of time," he agreed and nodded, already trying to recall which was the apothecary was located. He was certain it was down the street to their right...yes, yes that was certainly it! "Blacwin, you could either come with us or go to Montgomery's with Matthew, you're choice."

Matthew braced himself for whatever would be coming. He wasn’t too sure what to expect, or how to react to it. Oh well, hopefully Blacwin’s powers would get them safely to Oldenridge. With the sudden feeling of being yanked forward, Matthew saw the world fly by him. The small smirk that had been on his face quickly disappeared, replaced by a mildly shocked expression. It was quite an odd feeling, and it made him slightly dizzy. This hadn’t been what he had expected.

Matthew had just enough time for his shocked look to disappear before the world lurched again, this time stopping. Matthew stumbled, and out of the corner of his eye he spotted Hunter doing the same. Thank god he hadn’t been the only one who had stumbled. That would have been embarrassing.

“Agreed. A warning would be nice.” Matthew muttered, regaining his balance. Though he had to admit it had worked, warning or not. They were in Oldenridge, unharmed and without wasting a day walking. Matthew turned to Odin, listening to what the man had to say. “Sunset.” Matthew nodded. “That should give us enough time. Hopefully Montgomery doesn’t have too much useless gossip.”

---------------------------

“Maybe I should by them all together. Then you can help others without my constant interruptions.”Laura said, moving away from the basil so she could find the rest of the herbs. James really was quite helpful. He wasn’t that bad looking either, Laura noticed. Maybe she’d actually met a decent guy? He couldn’t be a warlock, so he was ‘safe’. She didn’t have to worry about him attacking any of her friends.

An apothecary was a smart way to keep an eye on the local witches though. She popped in here quite a lot herself, and she didn’t make nearly as many potions as most witches. Or did she? How often did your average witch brew potions? Laura gave herself a mental slap, and blinked a couple of times to clear her mind of stray thoughts. She had to focus, or she wouldn’t finish in time. Speaking of time, how much did she have left? “Laura Jane, snap out of it.” That mind of hers kept bouncing back and forth, and it wasn’t getting her job done. This wasn’t the time to be thinking of boys and potions.

Hearing her name being called brought her back, and she poked her head back inside. “Oh Mirabelle! Hello!” She smiled at Mirabelle, before turning back to Abigale, “Mercy needed Peppermint, sage, rowan berries and rosemary. Have you found anything? I think I am running out of time here.”

"Hi!" Mirabelle said cheerfully as Laura acknowledged her. "Listen, I need to ask you guys some thing outside later."

Mirabelle didn't make many potions, she usually stuck with using spells but it was always nice to do something different for a change.

“Mercy needed Peppermint, sage, rowan berries and rosemary. Have you found anything? I think I am running out of time here.” Laura said to Abigale.

"What is Mercy doing?" Mirabelle asked.

Just then there was a cry of a Falcon. Abigale looked distracted.

“Maybe I should by them all together. Then you can help others without my constant interruptions.” Laura said, moving away from James. She was really quite polite, and an excellent customer, no matter what his father said. His thought was interupted as Laura said, “Mercy needed peppermint, sage, rowan berries and rosemary. Have you found anything? I think I am running out of time here.” James nodded at her and placed the basil plant on the counter, and then walked towards the shelves. He quickly collected the needed herbs and placed them on the counter near the till. "Here you are, Ms. Laura. Shall I wrap them up for you, or will you be desiring more?" he said, his posture poised and attentive, and his tone of polite helpfulness. Being rude or lazy to his customers would not improve his business, as his father had proved. Before he had 'allowed' James to take over the shopkeeping business, the Hemlock Apothecary had been one of the most unpopular places in Oldenridge, and avoided because of the owner's temperment. His father was still a harden warlock veteran who had killed witches, but that didn't make him a pleasant person to be around. Most of his customers had been shady folk, and James was glad that they did not return to his place after he had become the shopkeeper. His father stayed upstairs these days, complaining of all his grevious pains and aches, and studying the witches' spellbooks with grevious intent, though with limited success.

“I’m not sure, Mirabelle.” Laura shrugged. She was pretty sure that Mercy would be using the herbs in some form of potion, but she was not going to announce that to the world. Laura might be careless, but she wasn’t that careless. “She didn’t say.”

James put the basil on the till and brought the rest of the herbs there as well. "Here you are, Ms. Laura. Shall I wrap them up for you, or will you be desiring more?” Laura looked over at James, and smiled gratefully. “Thank you.” She paused, thinking a bit. “I do need some things for myself as well, but...” She looked over at Abigale. Her friend seemed distracted, and Laura had a feeling it had something to do with Cato crying out. At least, Laura thought it was Cato. How any other falcons could you find in Oldenridge? “Mercy gave me an hour. I should have time to find my stuff before heading to the Golden Lion, don’t you agree? We didn’t take too long getting here, I think.”

Suddenly, the fact that she had no way of telling what time it was annoyed her. She had no idea how long she had been here, or much time she had left. Maybe she should leave with Mercy’s things and come back for her things later, just to be on the safe side? She didn’t want to leave Mercy waiting for her.

"I think perhaps that is best, Laura." Abigale called over, finally looking back at her and away from the half-open window. Something was wrong. Cato had been warning her of something, a threat, but Abigale couldn't tell what just from his cry. "Please pack up what she already has, James, as we ought to be going." she continued and though she kept her smile, there was a seriousness to her voice that ought not be ignored. She knew Laura would listen and, hopefully, understand her urgency. "Mirabelle, you should come with us."

Another sharp cry. Abigale was on high alert now, as she knew what Cato had been trying to tell her. Warlocks! Here? That was impossible! What were they doing in Oldenridge? Why had they come? They could not possibly know about them... Calm down, Abigale, perhaps they are only passing through. No need to overreact, she told herself but she could hardly stand it. Though she knew there was some in the town, there had never been any new ones in the time she'd lived here. Had someone found out about them, one of the older ones that dwelled here, and sent word to the younger warlocks in London? How closer were they? Had they found the Alley? God in the Heaven, if that happened...

This whole time, Abigale had been steadily moving toward the door and had positioned herself directly in front of the large, front window. Sure, it put her in direct sight but she could see out and that eased her. The street was still busy, packed with people, and the faces were a blur. She could not tell if there were ones she did not recognize. She started to tap her foot, her worn boot echoing steadily against the wood floor and her gaze flickered about the street. The weight of her totem felt a thousand times heavier against her breast and she spared a glance down, again making sure it could not be seen, before looking back at Laura and Mirabelle. If they were here, she prayed, please do not let them find us.

--

"Good luck there. That old coot is full of useless gossip." Hunter remarked and smirked at Matthew before adjusting his coat one more time. He looked at Odin and nodded, leaving Blacwin to follow or what have him, before starting off. "Remember, sunset!" he called over his shoulder. According to his map, and memory, Hemlock's was this way and Hunter was certain he wouldn't have any trouble locating it. He'd been there before, after all.

So far, no one they'd seen had particularly stuck out to him but they were deep into the town yet. Normally, the witches stayed near the center of their homes, easily able to set up spells and defenses among the more crowded buildings. Oldenridge would prove to be no exception, he thought, looking around before turning his attention to the man beside him. Good as time as any, he thought...

"Odin, there is one thing I haven't told you yet," he started, his voice casual, as if he were merely speaking about the weather. "I believe my sister is here, among the other witches." he finished, knowing it was best not to skirt around a subject with Odin. Straight and to the point, he thought, watching the other young man out of the corner of his eye.

Edited by crypticsoul

James looked up as a falcon's cry echoed over the city. He frowned. That's odd, falcons don't inhabit this area... He also noted that Laura's attitude seemed to sharpen at the sound. What's wrong with her? His brow creased, but then he dismissed the thought. She probably was startled by the sound of a strange bird. "Please pack up what she already has, James, as we ought to be going." she continued and though she kept her smile, there was a seriousness to her voice that ought not be ignored. James blinked, and then gave a slight bow. "Sure thing, Ms. Laura. I'll have it wrapped up in a couple of seconds." A cry from upstairs made him flinch; it was his father calling him. "JAMES! Get yer lazy carcass up here! I'm going to have friends over today, and I want the shop cleared right away. You hear me, boy? JAMES!" James flinched again as the harsh words echoed from upstairs, and he cursed his father under his breath. How could his father know that friends were coming, since he hadn't moved from the room all day long? Unless... they were warlocks, since his father always knew when they were coming. No wonder his father wanted the shop cleared. James rapidly wrapped up the herbs, though he still did it with immense care, and handed the packages to Laura. "I am sorry, but I must close shop early today." he said, stammering slightly. He hated his father's so-called 'friends', and they scared him. They were the witch-killers, the ones who would be pleased to see the death of any witch by any means, and they were ruthless. "I am so sorry, everyone." he said, bowing his head to each of them. None of them were witches, he was sure. They would be safe, at least.

---

Holly looked up as Malkie let out a loud hiss, fur bristling. Her grey cat looked alarmed, and crouched over the kittens, poised against an unseen foe. Holly knew what this meant. Warlocks! Malkie was trained to sense warlocks, and being an animal, she could easily sense their magic. Abigale and the others wouldn't be safe if warlocks were in town. She stood up and cast off her apron, and dashed to the closet. She switched her skirts for a man's trousers, and donned the priest's robe. She made sure to keep her face hidden in the hood, hid her totem. She would deal with these warlocks herself, but first she had to find some place secluded. Holly couldn't work her earth magic with so many passerby in town, even if she didn't care if she was discovered.

The sound of James' father made James flinch as well as Mirabelle. Oh that poor boy. I wonder how he was able to maintain his respectfulness.

"Thank you." She told James before going outside.

Cato? "Abigale." Mirabelle spoke to her in a low voice. "What is Cato saying?"

Paix fluttered down from a tree. He chirped once in the same tone as Cato. Abigale looked worried. "Abigale, is it an attack? Have more warlocks come?"

Mirabelle's dark colored totem was safely tucked under her dress. It couldn't be seen. She had made sure of that. How could they know? "I'll go outside and wait for you two." She said to Laura and Abigale.

"I believe my sister is here, among the other witches." Odin growled quietly to himself but did not break stride. Family was involved. Odin knew well how much family could effect people and their judgment. This wasn't just any family member either, it was his sister. Who was a witch. Odin had also heard that Hunter used to be very close to her as well.

"What is your plan then? To use us to get to her? She's a witch Hunter, do you think she'll even think twice about killing any of us to protect herself?" Odin said in a dangerously even voice.

---

Mercy staggered sideways from the force of Felice's sneak hug. “Thank you! I'm sure the baker's son will be happy!” And Felice blew away as quickly as she had come. Smiling and shaking her head, Mercy replaced a book and picked up another. She glanced at the sky, almost time to meet Laura. She paid for her books, left Witches Alley and almost stood on a cat as it shot past her feet. Odd, she thought.

As she walked, Mercy saw other signs that all was not well. Birds were flocking, refusing to land and a high number of dogs were barking, far more then usual. The energy of the town had changed since she had been in the Alley.

Disturbed, Mercy felt out with her tracking sense. Instantly she registered the market with its many people, recognising a few of them. She felt out further to the apothecary and found three witches she knew and James, the women seemed to be leaving. Feeling out still further to the source of all the unrest Mercy snarled. Odin! And he'd brought a few friends.

With a look of pure death Mercy stormed off to the Golden Lion. It was closer then the apothecary and she was supposed to meet Laura there anyway.

Lazy isn’t a word I would use to describe him, dear Mr. Hemlock Laura thought, looking up as if the man could actually hear her. Running a shop could be quite a lot of work. She turned back to James, who was apologizing for having to close the shop early. Probably because of his father’s guests. Laura looked around, wondering if she had missed someone walk in. The middle of the day seemed like an odd time to suddenly announce that you were expecting guests. Usually, you knew a day or two in advance, or someone just showed up.

She did know that one witch who sent messages with the wind though... Laura gave herself a mental slap. Why did she think everyone was a warlock? The fact that James Hemlock was just your average man in Oldenridge had already been established a while ago. “I guess I will come back tomorrow then, if you are open. How much money do you want for this?” Laura signalled towards the produce and instantly wished she hadn’t. Her totem was hanging on her wrist clearly visible. It just looked like any other normal bracelet though, didn’t it? Yes, it did, at least to most people. Wearing it visible like that hadn’t caused any problem before. Anyway, she should probably find a way to hide her totem. If the falcon cry had been Cato warning them about warlocks like she thought it was, she didn’t want to take unnecessary risks.

--------------------------------------------

Full of useless gossip is right. Matthew thought. Quite frankly, Matthew didn’t care if Mrs. Gregory had a fall out with her best friend or not. But Montgomery did, and apparently it was polite to sit still and listen.

“Remember, sunset!” Hunter called over his shoulder, leaving with Odin. Matthew didn’t bother answering, the word ‘sunset’ had been repeated enough times in the past minute to last quite some time. Before he started walking, Matthew turned to Blackwin. “Are you coming, or going to follow the others?” He asked. If Blackwin answered or not, didn’t really matter as Matthew wasn’t going to wait. His mission was to find Montgomery, and as much as he would love someone to help him through the old man’s jibber-jabber, he didn’t find that important enough to waste precious time that could be used gathering information.

Edited by coralkiki

Abigale watched Mirabelle, only giving her a slight nod in answer to her question. She was slightly upset at her for asking such a thing outloud, especially in a warlock's apothecary, but she said nothing about it. It was not the time, for she had more things to worry about.

She looked back at Laura and James, silently urging them to hurry, as she needed to get in contact with Holly. If the warlocks had come for a fight, Holly needed to be alerted. And now James was closing the shop early because his father was having visitors...oh, the warlocks were coming here! This was even worse!

"Laura..." she murmured, walking back over to stand beside her. She looked up at James and smiled politely. "James?" she questioned, studying his face, as if she were looking for a clue as to who exactly was coming. Older warlocks? Younger ones? "How much? We really need to be going and, if you are closing early, you need us out of here, yes?"

As she spoke, she glanced over her shoulder. Cato was at the window, perched on the sill, watching her intently. Why, he seemed to ask, have you not left yet? Hurry, Abigale!. He flew off suddenly and the door opened, the ring of the bell echoing like a thousand cannon shots through the apothecary.

--

Hunter looked over at Odin and frowned. "Abigale is not a murderer," he answered, though there was no anger in his tone, it was calm and even as Odin's. Hunter stopped after that and kept walking, checking the faces of the people they passed. His guard was up but he still appeared friendly and easy-going, nodding or greeting any who spoke to them.

He walked on, nearing the apothecary now, and finally spoke to finish answering Odin's question. "I have no plans to treat her differently. We are here for totems, not family reunions, and I'll have you know my head is in the right place." he turned to look at him, only to find him gone. He stopped, frowned. "Odin?" he asked, looking around, thinking someone had swiped him from right under his nose.

Where had he gone? One minute he was walking and talking and the next...poof! Hunter growled under his breath and continued on to the apothecary. "Odin, running off on me..." he muttered to himself, finally coming upon the small store. He paused briefly, watching a familiar falcon take flight from the window sill, before going inside "James! Good to see you! Ah, you still have customers?"

--

Abigale froze over but she maintained her easy demeanor, still smiling at James. The totem against her chest burst to life, burning against her flesh, responding to it's twin that had just entered with the man at the door. Hunter...of all people!

She tried to speak but her voice was stuck in her throat, refusing to be heard. Why was Hunter here? No! Who else had come? Since she could not speak, she linked arms with Laura, wanting a hand on her in case they had to run, and kept watching James. Perhaps he would say something and get them out. She did not want to fight Hunter here...

"James? How much? We really need to be going and, if you are closing early, you need us out of here, yes?" As Abigale spoke, she glanced over her shoulder at the window, as if she feared something dangerous would happen soon. As Laura spoke about the price of the produce, James's eyes caught something that gleamed on her wrist. His eyes widened visibly, but he said nothing, and turned away, handing the finished package to Abigale. Surely, it couldn't be.... But it was. The object on Laura's wrist surely was a totem, no doubt about it. An inner voice inside of him screamed: She's a witch. A WITCH! She's been fooling everyone! Should I call for father? Maybe then he'd actually notice me, actually appreciate me and include me in his little 'warlock's circle'...

James shoved the thought out of his mind, shaking his head as he did so. How could he have thought such a thing! He knew he would never be able to rest easy knowing he had willingly handed over such a bright, cheerful young lady who had given him nothing but kindness. But then again, his father did it all the time. Such was the way of the warlock.... A sick taste rose in his mouth, and James turned back to Holly, ready to name the price of all the herbs they had ordered, but the sound of the bell ringing as the door opened stopped him. He turned to see Mr. Hunter entering the shop. "Father!" James called, loud enough to be heard upstairs, "One of your old friends is here!" A loud cough answered his call. "James! Good to see you! Ah, you still have customers?" Hunter said, and James put on a sickly smile and said, "Yes, Mr. Hunter, sir. I'm just closing up the shop."

Turning to Laura and Abigale, James handed Laura the package, so that it would cover up the totem she had on her wrist. He turned to Abigale and then said, "Now then, miss, the plants you ordered earlier are out back, by the side gate. You can pay me tomorrow at noon, since I really must close up shop. I'll come around and collect the money. Sorry for the inconvenience." James knew Abigale had ordered no such plants, but he was struck by the urge to give her an easy exit along with her witch friend. James would not be seeing any violence today, and he wouldn't turn these women over. He went over and opened the door to the garden outside for the ladies. "Thank you for your business." he said simply, nodding at Abigale.

James eyes widened, and Laura froze. He recognized her totem? He was a warlock?! And he knew she was a witch now. Laura’s blood turned to ice in her veins, and she was sure her heart had skipped a beat. What had she done? Mercy’s words from earlier that day rang through her head, ... You should always be in control of your power Laura Jane McLean or you'll end up dead honey... and you'll drag the rest of us down with you. Why couldn’t she just bloody learn? Mercy was right; she’d get every witch in Oldenridge killed if she wasn’t careful.

Hopefully the warlocks Cato had been trying to warn them about weren’t going to come to see James. It wasn’t highly likely, but Laura still sent silent prayers to anyone who would be listening to her thoughts. Her fears where confirmed when she felt Abigale grabbed her arm. The only thing that would scare Abigale like that was a warlock. Heck, the only thing that would scare any of the Oldenridge witches like that was a warlock.

James handed her back the produce, and Laura noticed that he did so in a way that covered her totem perfectly. Had he done that on purpose? Of course not. She was just trying to make James a nice guy again. It was completely coincidental. He was a warlock, and so was the stranger that had just entered the apothecary, and Abigale and Laura had to get out of there as soon as possible. Mirabelle had already left, thank god.

"Now then, miss, the plants you ordered earlier are out back, by the side gate. You can pay me tomorrow at noon, since I really must close up shop. I'll come around and collect the money. Sorry for the inconvenience." Abigale hadn’t ordered any plants, and Laura already had hers. Was he actually trying to help? Oh, if he was, Laura would... She’d figure out what she would do when she wasn’t in danger of being killed. With Abigale in one arm, and her herb in the other, Laura headed out back. “Thank you.” She told James quickly, before she sped up and left the building.

"Hold on now, James, no need to rush them out the door," Hunter said and he was already after Abigale and Laura before James could respond.

"Hurry," he heard Abigale hiss to the other girl and her hand was on the gate when a crimson bolt of energy struck the metal handle. She spun, an angry look flickering over her plain features, before it faded.

"A problem, sir?" she asked, polite and innocent but her eyes were hard as she stared at him. Hunter only smirked at her, catching the way she put herself between the unnamed girl and himself.

"Don't play with me, Abigale." he answered and, though her stance didn't change, he saw something flash through her eyes. She was such an actress, he thought, glancing at the other girl. Did she not talk about him as often now?

"Then leave." Abigale answered, calm and steady, and Hunter smirked. He could feel of the thrum of his totem against his chest, almost hear it humming, and knowing it longed to release it's power. The emotion that spiked between them only enticed the totems, making their magic stronger and he knew Abigale felt the same.

"Now, that would be rude of me? Why don't you just come back inside?" he asked, gesturing casually back to the door. He didn't want to fight her here...but he would. "You can bring your friend. What's her name, Abby? Is she a witch too?"

"Leave, Hunter!" Abigale suddenly hissed, the wind around her whipping up into a fight and Hunter saw the flash of light from beneath her shirt and scarves. The wind ceased and Hunter's smirk grew wider.

"Afraid to fight me, are you Abby?"

--

"Afriad to fight me are you, Abby?" Abigale could barely keep from trembling, so great was the anger inside her. How dare he! How dare he come here and...and....oh!

"Do not threaten me, Hunter." she said, her voice deadly calm and her body as still as the winds around them. Her totem hummed against her breast, a vibration she felt to her very core but she didn't let it distract. She knew what it wanted...it wanted released. It wanted out..to meet it's twin but she would not fight him. "I will give you one chance. You'll regret not letting us leave this garden."

"Oh? Why is that, Abby?" Hunter asked, in a tone that so infuriated her. Abigale studied his face, absently wondering what had happened to her once kind brother. The sharp, hard lines of his face were cold, thoughtless and so much different from the sweet face she used to know. How had this happened to them? How had they let this war tear them so far apart? "Don't forget, we've even teams."

"You leave James out of this." Abigale told him and Hunter laughed.

"Protecting him?" he asked, a mocking tone in his voice. "He's a warlock! Don't tell me you've gone so soft?"

"He's a boy!" Abigale shouted at him, clenching her fists so tightly now. She would not let him get under her skin. She couldn't! Not with Laura here. "It is bad enough he has to live with his crazy old father but to have you here, turning him into some monster, I won't have it!"

"James knows where he belongs." Hunter answered, appearing pleased with the rise he was getting out of Abigale. "Now, we're wasting time. Come back inside. We don't want to cause a scene."

"You let Laura leave." Abigale answered.

"No. She comes too."

"Hunter..." she growled, frowning at him. He was so stubborn! Abigale couldn't believe he was doing this.

"Abigale." he mocked and she nearly lost it, the winds picking up again. Cato cried from above and she knew...oh, how interesting. "Still have that pesky bird." he observed, looking up before he was staring at Abigale and Laura once more. "Come. Inside."

"Make us." Abigale snapped before she was moving toward the gate again, pulling Laura with her. Hunter reacted immediately. The bolt of energy came inches from hitting her and she felt the heat singe her skin. She drew in a sharp breath and sent a sudden gust of wind at him, rattling the walls and shutters of the apothecary. "Laura! Go!" she yelled, as another bolt of energy forced the two apart, tearing through the gate behind them. She had so wanted to avoid fighting...

((Squee, I've been waiting for this moment for a long time...))

James watched in horror as Hunter swept past him to confront the girls. Apparently Hunter and Abigale knew each other, perhaps from some past encounter. Hunter had them trapped, and James knew it. His father was practically deaf; he would never hear this racket outside. Should he alert his father? Should he help out Hunter? Abigale's a witch, James.... She trick you, deceived you, would happily murder you! You should kill her now, while she's weak and trapped... A crackle of tension brought him back to the present. They were discussing him! James carefully crept into the garden, standing behind Hunter while they discussed him.

"Don't forget, we've even teams." Hunter was saying, and James frowned at this. He was sure that his father had told the rest of the warlocks that he was useless, stupid son. Did Hunter expect James to go through the first 'witch hunt' of his life? A chill crept up Jame's spine, and he shuddered.

"You leave James out of this." Abigale told him and Hunter laughed. James looked up. Was she protecting him, even though he was a warlock?

"Protecting him?" Hunter asked, a mocking tone in his voice, "He's a warlock! Don't tell me you've gone so soft?" James knew that the truth was gone now, and that Abigale would no longer ask Hunter to leave him out of this. No more hiding it after this... There's no point with these two. He reached down and pulled out his totem, watching the green stone dance under the light. James let go and the totem landed on his chest, a now heavy weight compared to a few minutes ago. He felt like crying, but he wouldn't do it in front of Hunter.

"He's a boy!" Abigale shouted at him, clenching her fists so tightly now. She looked angry; James was taken aback. Why was she so angry at Hunter? "It is bad enough he has to live with his crazy old father but to have you here, turning him into some monster, I won't have it!" James's mouth fell open. She actually cares about me... Even though she knew I was a warlock... It felt like his world was crumbling down around him. All that his father had told him, that witches were cruel and would gladly gut a warlock as soon as look at one, and that they were the evil ones... James's legs felt like jelly, as he watched, enraptured by their conversation that was uprooting the foundations of his education.

"James knows where he belongs." Hunter answered, appearing pleased with the rise he was getting out of Abigale. James blinked at Hunter's words. I know where I belong? You make me sound like some kind of PAWN, used for a warlock's own ends... James blinked back tears, but continued to watch the conversation. Hunter apparently wanted Abigale to come back into the shop, where the warlocks would soon arrive, but Abigale didn't want to. And then Laura was mentioned in the conversation. James understood why. A warlock would gain instant fame by capturing two witches at once in a couple of minutes, and would gain so much for it.

And then the fighting began. It appeared that Abigale was skilled in wind magic, and Hunter used lightning. Within seconds, the garden James had laboured over for months was being torn apart by the ferocious energies of the two combative magics. "Laura! Go!" he heard Abigale scream as another bolt separated the two witches. James watched, rage building up inside him. Hunter had forced Abigale to this. She had never attacked James when inside his shop, and had respected nature as much as he had. Her smile from earlier that day flashed before his eyes, and James made his choice. Gotta lower Hunter's blood pressure... It goes too low, and he'll faint from it... It won't kill him, right?

Closing his eyes, James concentrated and his totem glowed with a bright green light, fed by the savage energies around him. He focused on lowering Hunter's blood pressure. It wasn't very hard to find a suitable method; there were many diseases that did so. It felt like he was a dam gate holding back a roaring tide of energy, ready to be released. With a pushing movement towards Hunter, James yelled, "NOW, Abigale! RUN!"

--

Holly's head shot up from where she had been dozing in the warm sun. There was a sudden burst of magic from somewhere nearby.... ABIGALE! She stood up so quickly she upset Malkie, who had been snoozing on her lap. The cat hissed and arched her back, and then quickly marched towards her bed, offended. But Holly would apologize later. Hurriedly she changed into her priests robes, dropping the totem beneath the fabric. There was no time to lose, warlocks were in the town! The Priestess would take care of them, though. Tugging on her sturdy boots, Holly readied herself in front of the mirror. It was two minutes later and she was out the door, walking quickly towards the outburst of magic. She had to hurry. Abigale might be in danger.

"James! What in the name-" Hunter shouted, taking a knee as he grew light-headed. What was he doing? He felt awful. No! They were going to get away! "James, stop this at once!"

"James..." Abigale murmured, but she didn't run. Hunter glared at her. What had she done to this boy? She had...she had turned him! He betrayed him, right here in his own garden! Oh, his father would hear of this!

"Abigale! What spell have you put on this boy?" he demanded, his face going ashen and his insides starting to ache. What was James doing to him? Oh, he would not let him get the better of him!

"I have not done a thing to him." Abigale answered, glaring at Hunter. "Perhaps he only realizes the foolishness of this war-" she paused and looked over her shoulder at the gate, at Laura, but she still did not move. "-which is something you still cannot see."

"Fool's talk." Hunter hissed, fighting against James now but he wasn't fairing well. He would strangle the boy for this insolence. With a bout of strength, he pivoted on his knee and shot a spear of energy at the boy.

--

"James!" Abigale screamed, summoning a burst of magic and lifting James straight off the ground. The bolt of energy struck the side of the apothecary, sending a spray of brick and motor into the air. She pulled the wind back and set James gently down. "This isn't your fight. Please, James, Hunter is not to be messed with. You must get out of here!"

She would not have him harmed because of her. Hunter would kill him. Why had he done this? Why had he interfered? Oh, the trouble he was bound to be in because of her! His father...oh, the old warlock would have a fit! Surely, Hunter would tell...and he would tell the others. Every warlock in London would know of James' betrayal. Hecate bless him!

"James, please go!" she called to him again, the glow of her totem now visible beneath her clothes. "Release whatever spell you've done on him. He is my trouble to deal with. I will not have you harmed because of me." she told him, studying his face with a soft intensity, which in itself was a curious thing. She would take Hunter away from here. She would...she would swear to go with him if he let James be.

"You are ever so noble, Abby." Hunter growled, gaining his feet again, despite the sickness that washed over him. Abigale looked at him but said nothing, only turning her gaze back to James. She hated herself but despite it all....Hunter was her brother...

"James! What in the name-" Hunter shouted, taking a knee as the disease took effect. "James, stop this at once!" James didn't stop, only gritted his teeth and chanted softly under his breath. Once he was done, the disease would be permanent until James removed it or Hunter managed to cure it. Why wasn't Abigale running?

"Abigale! What spell have you put on this boy?" Hunter demanded, his face going ashen. It was working. James's own face paled. Hunter had to eat foxglove; his blood pressure was going down too fast. Without that plant, Hunter would die. "There's no spell." James said, his incantation finished. "And without foxglove, you'll die in about an hour, Mr. Hunter. I lowered your blood pressure, which is why you probably feel faint. Shortly, you'll pass out if you don't get help now."

James barely finished his sentence when Hunter shot energy out at him.

"James!" Abigale screamed, and James felt himself being lifted off the ground by a burst of wind.The bolt of energy struck the side of the apothecary, sending a spray of brick and motor into the air. James landed on the ground again, his arms over his head as bricks rained down around him. His plants, his hard work...

James cried out as a sharp piece of mortar clipped his face, and his cheek started to bleed profusely. "This isn't your fight. Please, James, Hunter is not to be messed with. You must get out of here!" Abigale said. "But it is, Abigale." James said, staring at her with his forget-me-not eyes. "I've been lied to all my life. You are a kind and gentle person, as well as Laura. All that I've heard about witches is that they are cruel and the scum of the earth, and that it would be an honor to destroy them all. And I believed my father, Abigale. But now..." James shook his head, "I can't say that witches are evil. I don't know what to do..."

"James, please go!" Abigale called again."Release whatever spell you've done on him. He is my trouble to deal with. I will not have you harmed because of me."

"You are ever so noble, Abby." Hunter growled, gaining his feet again.

"I won't release the spell, Abigale." James said, wiping blood off of his cheek. "Not until you leave. I'm not leaving either."

"I'll say you're not leaving. Not ever." the voice came from inside the house, and James whipped around to see his father coming out, his hawk-like blue eyes blazing with an inner fury. James started backing away, but it was too late. His father raised his hand, and under his father's shirt a red totem blazed to life. Adam Hemlock faced his own son with pitiless fury. A flash of white light, and James gave a scream of pain. A blade of light was embedded in his right shoulder, and the blood was already dying James's shirt a deep red. "It's been a long time since I've used my ability, and I never expected to use it on my own son." His father said, slowly approaching. James's eyes widened, and he tried to back away again, but another blade appeared in his chest area. He coughed into his hand, and when he drew it away, there were red beads on his hand. It was painful; tears started to trickle down James's face. The blade disappeared, but a longer, larger one appeared in his father's hand. This was Adam Hemlock's power: summoning weapons of light.

"YOU TRAITOR!" his father spat, approaching James with the large blade, a dangerous look in his eyes. "At first I thought you had missed the witch, and that you got Hunter by accident. I trusted you to do the right thing for warlocks. But now, after what you did, I know the truth. I'll kill you with my own hands, before you get a chance to run. This is my responsibility as a father." he said, his voice icy calm, as if he was conversing about the weather instead of murdering his own son. James shivered, clutching the wound in his chest. He knew his wounds were non-fatal, only meant to stop him from fleeing. This was his father, the man who had shown him how to use his powers, the man who had raised him. The totem on James's chest glowed, recognizing a family member. It was painful, burning into his skin. James shivered again.

His father now stood over him and raised the blade of light, and James knew there would be no mercy for him. His father was a trained warlock, and no emotion showed on Adam Hemlock's face. The blade was heading towards him, a gleaming blade that would end his life.... In his defense, James threw his arms in front of his face and squeezed his eyes shut. Idon'twanttodieIdon'twanttodie...I DON'T WANT TO DIE! James made a pushing movement towards his father, and he heard a terrible scream... that wasn't his. Who had screamed? After a moment, James opened his eyes. He wasn't dead. He looked up at his father, who had dropped the blade, his eyes popping with shock. He was clutching his chest. What happened? After a second, James found the answer. His father had just had a heart attack. No.. that wasn't it. James had caused the heart attack! Shivering, James stood up and gently touched his father with his bloody hand. At his touch, his father collapsed, the blade of light disappearing. "NO! Father, wake up!" cried James, tears coming from his eyes again. He began shaking his father's body, hoping, praying. He didn't care if his father had just tried to kill him. "Please...." he sobbed, but his father's eyes remained closed, and the man was silent. Tentatively, James placed his head on his father's chest to listen for a heartbeat. There was silence. Adam Hemlock was dead, killed by James's desperate attempt to save himself. "He's....dead." James said, his voice barely above a whisper. He remained kneeling by his father, his mind in a state of shock. He had killed his father.

((Aha! A post~))

Holy crumbug, this was bad. This was really, really bad. Two witches cornered by two warlocks, with possibly more coming. Laura's heart seemed to remember how it worked and was racing in her ribcage making as much noise as a heard of elephants. The girl watched, fear in her eyes, Abigale and Hunter's conversation. She started calling on her magic, feeling her totoem heat up as the clouds grew darker. Out of the corner of her eye she saw James, and she kept her gaze on him. He was a warlock, so why wouldn't he want to help Hunter? But he didn't look like he wanted to hurt them. He looked more torn.

''Laura, run!'' At the sound of Abigale's voice, Laura snapped her head back at the two fighting people. No way was she leaving alone. If she left now, without Abigale, no one would ever see her agian. She grabbed on to Abigale's arm again, just in time to hear James yell. Laura jumped, letting go of Abigale's arm. ''Uh!'' A small, surprised yelp came from the girl, and her totem glowed slightly as a crack of thunder could be heard. controlShe mentally scolded herself, watching Hunter strugle against James' magic. What was he doing? Whatever it was Laura was grateful that he had done it.

"James, please go!" Abigale said, putting James down after saving him from Hunter's blast of magic. Laura stood close to the gate, hand on her chest, trying to catch her breath. That had been quite a scare. She peeked back over to Hunter who was begining to gain enough strength to try and stand up. ''Abigale...'' Laura muttered. ''We should go now as well.'' She took a couple tentative steps towards her friend. They really should try and get away, and bring James with them. Judging by the way Hunter reacted to James and his magic, Laura had a feeling that it would take quite a while for those two to like each other.

Hearing an unfamiliar voice, Laura turned to see a man standing in, what had used to be, the wall of the apothecary. ''No!'' A blade had appeared in James chest, and Laura stared at the boy in horror. He was such a nice person, he didn't deserve to be killed. Lightning ran across Laura's arms, ready to strike at a moment's notice. Prepeared to repay James' favour, Laura raised her hands towards the attacking warlock, who fell to the ground... Before she had time to release her magic. ''He's... Dead.'' James whisper could hardly be heard. Laura looked over at him, slightly surprised. He had been fine just moments ago. Then again, so had Hunter. Slowly, Laura walked over to the kneeling James. She had no idea what to say or do, as she had never been in a remotely similar situation herself. So she just knelt down beside him, keping her mouth shut.

"James..." Abigale whispered, watching as the boy knelt by his father. It had happened so quickly. By Hecate...James would be killed for this! They would absolutely kill him.

"Well, this is turning into quite the mess..." Hunter groaned from where he knelt on the ground, attempting to keep himself conscious. Abigale wanted to...no, she didn't! But, without the foxglove, he would die. Hunter knew next to nothing about herbs, he would never find it...she looked at James, then at Laura before racing into the apothecary. She wiggled through the door, which hung off it's hinges, and into the shop. Dust from the explosion lingered in the air but it was light enough still for Abigale to see. She searched the shelves and grabbed a handful of foxglove. She returned and knelt beside her brother, shoving the plant into his hand.

"Eat."

"Helping me too, Abby?" Hunter asked, staring up at her. Abigale just glared at him and looked pointedly down at the herbs in his hands. Hunter ate, chewing on the plant.

"Only because I won't have your death on James' hands. He has enough to deal with," Abigale explained, before rising and walking over to Laura and James. She touched Laura's shoulder. "Come. We need to leave."

--

As Hunter chewed, he watched the trio, his eyes narrowed slightly. James had just killed his father, another warlock, and was therefore an enemy of theirs. He'd turned on him. The boy would have to be taken care of, especially with an ability like this.

You're not leaving yet, he thought and sent a blast of energy into the air. A signal. The other warlocks, and any other who could see the dark red blast, would be here instantly.

Edited by crypticsoul

Abigale's words brought James out of his state of shock. He was bleeding profusely, and he needed to recover before anything else. He stood up and took one last look at his father's body. Then he went inside the crumbling apothecary and retrieved a tarp used to cover plants. James draped it over his father's body, but only after he bent down and closed his father's eyes. "Rest in peace, father." he whispered, and then sniffed. He was done crying now; what he had done could not being undone. This point was emphasized by Hunter shooting a bolt of pulsing dark red energy into the sky. It was a signal for the other warlocks; Hunter hadn't come to this town alone. So that's what his father had meant by 'old friends'. James winced from the pain of his wounds. "Gotta heal..." he muttered, and his totem glowed green once again. Using his magic, James started to examine his own wounds. The first bolt of light had pierced his right shoulder, but it missed the bones and instead cut into the muscles. Ripping off the bloody sleeve, James examined his wound from above. Under his eye, the muscle knitted itself together and the skin flowed smoothly over the wound, leaving no sign that he had been wounded there. Now for his chest. The bolt had done more damage here, lodging itself between his ribs, just barely missing his lungs. James lifted away the bloody shirt and watched as the bone mended and the wound closed over. There, he was done. The light from his totem faded, and James sighed. He still felt like crying, but there were more important things to do. "What should we do with Hunter?" he asked, looking to Abigale for help. Edited by Darkshadow

"What should we do with Hunter?"

The question caught Abigale somewhat by surprise. Well, she hadn't planned on doing anything with Hunter! She had gotten him the foxglove, so he wasn't going to die, and she had planned to just leave! Although...

"I can hear you," she heard Hunter grumble but he didn't look at him. He was sitting now, eyes clothes, and seemed to be quite focused on his breathing. He looked rather calm, actually. She waved him off and looked back at James. The other warlocks would be here soon, even the ones that lived here in Oldenridge, and how could they expect to hide here? But they couldn't leave...oh, what a mess!

"You see what you cause," he muttered to Hunter, pinching the bridge of her nose. If the others came and found Hunter, he'd tell them everything. About James and what he'd done. They'd kill him, not only for being a traitor but a murderer as well! He would have to come with them, there was no other answer but Hunter... "We bring him with us." she decided, looking between the pair before over at Hunter.

"Oh no, Abby-" Hunter started but she cut him off, holding up a hand with her palm facing him. She did not need his lip.

"Sleep." she commanded and, just like that, he did. Abigale loved being particularly handy at mental spells. It just didn't do sometimes having to whisper them out loud. She could only do the simpler ones mentally, though, something she was always trying to find the time to work on. She walked over and heaved Hunter's unconscious body up form the ground but he was heavier than she expected. She nearly crumbled under his weight but she managed to stay upright, swaying as she took a few steps. Oh, it would take her ages to get him back to her house! Why was he so damned heavy?! "Come on, then." she told the others, attempting a few more steps. Hecate bless it, why was this day turning out to be such a nightmare?

"We bring him with us." James wasn't surprised by the answer Abigale gave, but he was still wary of taking Hunter prisoner. It was dangerous and difficult to keep anyone posessing magical abilities prisoner, warlock or witch. But when Abigale commanded Hunter to sleep and used her power, James reminded himself not to get on her bad side. Well, he probably was on her bad side, since he had just given Hunter a disease that could kill him if he didn't eat a specific plant... But now wasn't the time to think about that. He had betrayed the other warlocks, and the news would get out eventually. They would probably think he had been captured along with Hunter, but the information would be released regardless. James wondered how he would die if he was caught. It would be horrible, regardless.

All of a sudden, a person wearing a priest's robe burst through the remains of the garden gate, panting heavily. Startled, James took a step back, alarmed. "What happened here?" said the priest, his voice lighter than James had expected. "I'm sorry, Father Priest sir, but..." he trailed off as the priest took of his hood to reveal a woman underneath. A totem glittered at her throat, which meant that she was a witch. "Quiet, boy." she said, and then grabbed Hunter's body from Abigale, who was struggling to lift him. "What happened here, Abigale? The whole city probably saw the show here. We have to leave before any warlocks come." she snapped at Abigale.