~!~

Begging for Breedings

I haven't really been begged for breedings much - which is strange considering how many low even-gen rares I seem to have (more than I thought xd.png) - only one time I remember being begged for a Pink egg when at the time my only Pink was from the Hope lineage and I didn't have a mate for him yet ._.

Personally, I certainly wouldn't consider the typical, polite breeding request to be 'begging'!

I regard begging to be more along the lines of people PMing repeatedly to ask for/demand a dragon on your scroll, rather than a bred dragon (as when new people wanted a dragon I'd traded for or caught after months of effort, such as a CB metallic they'd seen on my scroll, back in the days when I sometimes got lucky) or to ask for/demand a metal be bred (as if they generally will breed metals, lol) simply because they've learnt they're 'rares' and are trying to 'shop' on other people's scrolls.

Many of us like sharing pretty lineages and want to spread them around and make others who want them happy, although we generally tend to resent rudeness or people asking for/demanding something we traded/worked hard for and can't replace.

But I quite often ask for breedings and am asked for breedings and I think most lineage breeders enjoy doing this, when our dragons actually produce...

Aye, there's the rub.

Or, rather, the backlog.

*sigh*

On Halloween when Vampires could bite for the first time, I was gifted an egg by a really kind person. It was my one and only Vampire, because I missed the CB drops the year before that.

Still I got a PM demanding this Vampire egg from me, I was really fuming.

On the other hand, I also got requests for a Holly breeding. Those were all nice and very polite. The reason I declined was that I wanted to FFA my eggs which I openly told the people who requested.

I'm perfectly happy to breed for people, so I've never minded getting the odd polite request for a breeding.

I've had a few over the years, though, that haven't been quite so polite. Someone demanding I give them the alt-black hatchie I had on my scroll at the time, and also a couple of "You breed me gold egg now!". Never mind the fact that my one and only gold has never produced a gold egg in his life. dry.gif

Hasn't happened in a good long while, though. And as I said - I'm always willing to breed for people that ask nicely!

I have no problem with members pm'ing me, breeding requests. My dragons often do not feel like, full filling the request but I try. Most members mean no harm when they request, those that do need reported.

The few demands I have had for breedings that could have been considered rude, mainly turned out be to faulty polite requests that, once run through a language translator, turned into something that wasn't intended. That can happen quite often.

I get very polite requests on a regular basis, and I attempt to send polite requests to others when I am interested in getting something from someone.

If I've just finished an 18 hour shift at work, my requests may not seem as polite as I think they do. Or, I may not answer a request made, thinking I should get sleep first...and then forget I even read the request to begin with.

Players who know my crazy working hours sometimes send several requests until they get an answer. This might be viewed as harassment or begging by some players standards, but from my own, it is acceptable. If I work a 40+ hour work week in three days...I'm lucky I remember how to log into my scroll much less remember a request for a dragon egg.

When I'm awake though, I have been known to victimize random people with drive by metallic egg pelting. biggrin.gif

I have this happen quite a bit. I think the cause is that I have in my profile and siggy that I accept breeding requests. It never fails that I will breed something really awesome for my own linage or for an IOU then have someone PM me asking for the eggs out of nowhere. When I say it is not available they get indignant. I tell them it is rude to behave as they are and I get the whole range of I don't like you to I'm reporting you for something or another. I don't think I've ever been actually reported but it is still annoying and makes my fun game less fun. I also get the problem when gifting a noob with a metallic because they don't have one.. then they think I will breed metallics for every one of their friends. O.o While I would love to it is not possible and I need trade fodder for myself. The rudeness that comes from saying no to this kind of request can be very irritating.

That being said though, I have plenty of polite and grateful requests, fulfillments and gifts. I don't stress it so much and find that almost all of the people I bump into on a day to day basis are nice. I feel as though there are how many people on this site? thousands? There are bound to be some in a group that big that I am not going to get along with. Nature of a huge group so it doesn't bother me now as much as it did say a year ago. Also, as others said, language can be a problem. I think if people were more up front about ESL or that they are running their native language through google translator for the English then it might ease things with misunderstandings for everyone.

Edited by thenameisplissken

I have never had any PM's for people asking me to breed them anything specific. I have generously offered and always done my best to breed for people here or there. I often offer bred eggs on TGT.

I have some nice dragons - CB metallics, Thuweds, Dorkfaces and more on my scroll, including nice even gen non inbred splits to offer.

Closest I think I ever had to someone begging - and it wasn't full beg was someone in irc asking me to split up my CB gold male with his mate and breed my gold male with a CB dragon. I explained I wouldn't do it as Golden Ray has basically only has one mate, and they breed quite nicely together - except for this recent bit where metallics aren't breeding so well.

I've had a couple people PM me. One was a fairly new person who loved nebulas but hadn't managed to catch any yet, and the other was... huh, what did the other person want? I can't remember. xd.png Anyway, both were very polite, and the second person offered to breed me something in return (which wasn't necessary), and I was happy to breed for them.

I've never requested anything myself, other than sticking something I really want in my sig (which actually works, did you know? Some people here are really nice! smile.gif) People with CB hollies can expect to get a polite PM from come autumn -- I've been looking for an autumn seasonal with a holly parent for a lineage project I'm working on -- but that would be the exception because CB hollies are so rare. (Also, a rather delicate situation, since those poor people tend to get swamped with people requesting hollies.)

Until now I haven't received breeding requests, maybe because I haven't rare-uncommon dragons. Only two users kindly asked for a trade between commons, but after some PMs I've never seen them again.

About my requests, since now I didn't request nothing because I need Teleport for them (bad internet) and because I know everybody wants to be left alone with its draggies and I don't like to disturb people. That's because I put in my signature, without bothering nobody, that I'd love to receive a trade offer for an Holly and the Tinsels (until now nobody has never PMed me about my signature, but I still have hope in not being disturbing with PMs and that someone will read it). About those that put in their signatures that will breed if asked, I'd love to PM them when Teleport comes (don't worry, I'm really kind) if they'll still gift/trade.

I'd like to say that I really love people that offers to breed for someone that has difficulties with some dragons. It's in this way that I got my first Pink pair (ancestors of all my bred Pinks) and my Black Striped pair. I'm still grateful to these three users that helped me!

I've not had anyone beg me for anything (thankfully!) I have contacted others with polite requests or trade offers.

I made an excellent trade 2 months ago - I gave up one of my CB Rosebud eggs to a member that wasn't around on valentines day, and in return I got 2 eggs from the same pair of Dragons ..

Gold with a Twist

Twisted Sky Arrow

I think we were both very happy with this trade which only happend due to me taking a chance with a polite offer cool.gif

TD.x.

Haha. This happened near daily to me, and I've just stopped responding to the PMs I get. I feel bad because I want to be nice, but after a while I just started lacking the energy to engage it. Since I've changed my signature I haven't gotten any PMs though.

I'd like to add that it's not usually random abrasive noobs who poke me. Normally it's perfectly nice, at least somewhat established players, which is part of why saying no is hard. D;

I haven't ever had any breeding requests, but I think that is probably because I'm not often on the forums (so people aren't often showed my scroll) and even if I was, none of my dragons are really rare. Except the cb thunder. But she refuses to breed anyway. xd.png

If it's a polite "Hey there. I was wondering if I could request a breeding from ___ x ___. It would be much appreciated. Thanks!" then sure, I'd do it. But a request like "hey der i wunt a egg frum ___ nd ___" then no. People who spell like that really annoy me, 'cause apart from the fact it takes ages to decode, it always comes across very impolite when you can't even be bothered to spell. :| Even if I'm talking to a friend, it seems rude when they use chatspeak. Maybe it's just me. tongue.gif

EDIT: Cut off. tongue.gif

Edited by quupee

the only begging i ever got was mostly for my holly...

besides that most seem to word their pm's nicely and are more politely requesting a breeding and willing to trade something with me so not begging in my mind

Well - I have it in my signature that I breed on request so I really should not complain when I get requests^^ And I must say that all but one requests I ever recieved were really nice and polite. I like gifting eggs, so I really don't mind if people do ask me for bred eggs. I like it when my eggs go to people who like them, and from time to time I look at my dragons progeny to see if they had offspring in nice lineages^^

I've requested eggs too and in all but one cases, where I got no response at all, I got very polite answers. There are a lot of helpful people here, really. I think the most important about all this is to remember that it is only a game, made for fun. Nothing really serious will happen if I can't get this or that dragon at once or even ever. Nothing serious will happen either if I give a metallic dragon away once in a while, too wink.gif So I see no harm at all in polite breeding requests.

I perfectly understand, though, if someone feels angry about unpolite, rude requests.

Edited by Varnayrah

This DOES happen on a few occasions,when "any decorum of asking vs. begging" goes out the window~!! I just tell the peeps who DEMAND eggs be bred ,to read the DC rules,and as a breeder,my plate is usually full,so I like to pick & choose....trying to be nice,avoid outright rudenes(which they WILL run into!),I like to have a small cropp of newbies Ive seen as listers,traded with & will often..take under my wing if they are polite & apprecetive..not pushy!

I get some GREAT new people each season..and hope Im of some help to them when Im able..

Rockin' On

I've never had anyone ask me for something, but I have PM'ed a few people because I loved their dragons' names or some such thing. I always got nice replies back. happy.gif

I'm actually super nervous to just PM people out of nowhere, so I'm always overly polite if I do. Which I guess is a good thing smile.gif

I'm actually super nervous to just PM people out of nowhere, so I'm always overly polite if I do. Which I guess is a good thing smile.gif

Same here. I'm even skittish when I'm PMing someone about a trade offer or something! But good manners never hurt anyone, ne?

I've never gotten a rude request, but I get polite ones every other week or so since I got my Holly. If the request is polite and they're aware of the length of her waiting list and how long it'll take, I'm happy to add them to it. I'm kind of dreading the holiday season after hearing horror stories from other Holly owners, but nothing to report yet.

I'm terribly nervous about asking for things though, and tend not to, but I will eventually because my trade offers haven't ever been taken up. But I'll probably only ask for a that Stripe x Holly offspring I'm looking for once I have something equivalent to trade.

I've only had this happen to me a few times, but I'm not usually too bothered by it and try to help them out anyways. Luckily I've never had it go on constantly to the point where it seems like harassment.

I'm usually very happy to respond to polite breeding requests, even for rares or Vamps or special lineages. smile.gif