~!~

Begging for Breedings

I hear a lot of complaining going around about how people are constantly PMed by random noobs requesting certain breedings or eggs off people's scrolls. To be honest, this has never happened to me. Maybe it's because my scroll name is different from my forum name. Maybe it's because I don't have any interesting lineages on my scroll. Maybe it's just because I'm intimidating. But whatever the reason, I have 0 exp. with this sort of thing.

So, I ask now for your tales of woe. Exactly how often does this sort of thing happen to you? Do people usually go away when you decline, or do they usually pester and pester you until you have to report them? If you get a lot of breed requests, are they all usually from the same few people?

Also, what sort of behavior is acceptable? Is it unacceptable to request offspring from a pairing at all, or just to keep asking for one after the request has been denied? What if a trade is offered?

Mostly, I'm curious because of some things that have been mentioned in S&R (my usual haunt) and I don't want to generalize based on what a few people have said.

This has never happened to me, but yes I've heard of this happening to people.

I'm sure, now that I'm a mentor, that I'll get some requests, but I've never really PMed anyone, besides for trades.

But if it were me being pestered by other users to breed for them, depending on the person, and if they were just a random user, I'd decline. But if like I see them around the forums a lot, or if I have talked to them before, I'd be more likely to breed for them. :3

I've had a few people ask me for breedings.

Fortunately they were all quite nice about it, and I haven't had to report anyone just yet.

Generally if asked for a particular lineage I'll say yes. As I see it, I can always breed again next week for myself if I want to.

What would annoy me is if someone started begging me for eggs I have but can't replace. MINE.

I've never had a single person PM me about anything on my scroll. I also don't make it known what I have on my scroll. I find that not linking my scroll in my signature is enough of a deterrent to keep people from looking. I'm pretty lazy at looking at scrolls, so if I don't have a link or are not desperately curious, I won't bother looking. I also keep my adults hidden which really keeps people from seeing anything on my scroll...keeping my name hidden as well pretty much makes it impossible to see what is mine.

Usually only after I show a lineage will people ask for an egg or something. I don't keep lists so people can PM me whenever they want.

If someone did ask, I wouldn't mind at all as long as it's politely done. I ask other people for eggs as well, and I have only gotten one person who replied rudely or harshly and that's after I scoured their scroll, signature and profile for anything stating they don't take breeding/trade requests.

I never had one person beg and nag me for a breeding request yet. So none of the bad stuff I hear around IRC has hit me yet xd.png

I've been "bothered" by breeding requests, though I wouldn't really call it that most of the time. While I am usually more than happy to help out anyone who asks, my participation ultimately depends on how the person asks/what they ask for.

I've had random people ("noobs" usually) demand rares from me. For instance, I've received a PM that was along the lines of "i want gold & silver & CB whatever, you breed for me now". Those don't work out too well. I don't expect anyone to lick my shoes, but if they had asked politely I would have done my best to get them what they wanted, free of charge. Instead, I send them a PM saying no, I'm sorry, I don't breed those all the time, can I see what you have to offer? :/

On the other hand, I've had random people PM me with polite requests for certain lineages/breeds, with offers to give something in return if it's too much just to give away. Depending on what they're asking, I either say "yes, of course!", put them on a waiting list, or take a peek at their scroll to see what they can exchange. I've meet some really nice people this way and we have a continuing exchange. ^.^

I've never had anyone pm me from the forums for breedings but i don't link my scroll and the name is hidden so even if i link an egg they can't see my scroll. i don't mind taking breeding request though, as long as people understand that any nice lineaged metals are for trading only.

The only time i was ever harrassed was when a VERY NICE person FFA'd a CB Silver and i was lucky enough to catch it! Nobody could have offered anything to me to give it up since it was and still is my only CB Metal. i had to log out of the IRC cause the person wouldn't stop when i told them nicely several times i wasn't interested in trading for it.

I've not had anything like this happen to me nor done it to anyone else. If I see in someone's signature, profile, or website that they are willing to gift breedings from their scroll then I may take a peek to see if they have something I'm looking for and then send them a polite request if they have something I need. I've gotten several nice eggs and met several nice people doing this.

However, I also am willing to gift breedings from my scroll to others. I have a few stipulations, like please don't kill it or use it for vampire fodder... that sort of thing. If it's a gift I expect a certain level of respect and I offer that same level of respect. I also follow the stipulations of gifters, I send a single PM and if I don't hear back just count it as a no or that the person is busy.

I don't see the need to be rude to each other. We're all in this together... why not play and enjoy the company? That goes for both sides... demanding is just rude and snapping at folks who ask politely is equally rude. dry.gif

Anyway, that's my two cents.

I have received a couple PM's with requests, but never anything rude or demanding. The only problem I ran into was that the pairing they requested was on cool down, and wouldn't be ready to breed for 2 days. I told them to PM me back then, and never heard back from them. I went looking for them, but, never had any luck catching up with them.... kinda strange, but, hmmmm...

I've only every PM'd one person with a request, when I first started trying to aquire rares and trio dragons - I saw one person's signature that said they were trying to gift 100 rare eggs - I volunteered to help them meet that goal! Hehe...

I guess I just don't see the point in PM'ing random people from here for eggs... there are enough gifting and trading threads that if someone really wants something, they have places to go to make requests, and/or offer their offspring. I don't mind if people were to request something from me, as long as they are polite about it, but, I don't have as many pretty shinies as many of the veteran players, so, my scroll probably isn't as much of a draw! *smiles*

I've only ever had one person do it to an annoying level on the forums, asking me to breed my CB silver to get them an egg, but they eventually trailed off. I've noticed much worse begging when it comes to PMs in the IRC, however. When you have something to offer, and you don't want what they're offering to trade, some people don't stop trying to convince you otherwise.

On the forums, however, I've met lots of nice people and exchanged lots of lovely lineages through this method. I've had people contact me and have contacted a few people if I had something that was very similar in lineage that they might want to swap to reach a higher gen. Most people are nothing but nice about it.

So far I've only received a bunch of PM's requesting breedings. Since they all asked for commons from either a special lineage or a special named dragon I try my best and breed for them.

Not sure what I'll do if/when I get a PM asking for something rarer. sad.gif

It has happened to me occasionally. Only once have I had to resort to reporting them, and that was awhile ago. Usually the requests are of the "I want a gold or silver egg. Will you breed me one?" from random noobs I've never heard of. They go away after I respond that I don't take breeding requests.

I've had many pms requesting breedings--mostly requesting metals, since I was on the New Rare Breeders gold and silver lists for quite a while. Very few are rude or begging though.

I've had a couple after I posted something that suggested I would breed (which I will, as long as I'm not locked, which I usually am....)

I think it's OK to ask once - as long as you then take no for an answer if that's the answer you get - and don't keep begging.

I've had people come to ask about Blunas but rarely is anyone begging. My blunas are a specific MagmaxBluna pairing so they usually tell me that they want to trade or I'll just gift them if I know they need Blunas. I've never been pestered for eggs by random people all my 2 years mentoring. I'm just lucky, I suppose.

Has never happened to me. I was asked nicely if I can breed a non-rare dragon, but that's ok.

no, it never happened to me. maybe because I just don't have anything very special and rare on my scroll biggrin.gif

I pm people all the time for stripes haha. I usually offer something in return though and if I can say that about myself, always am polite about it. Not much use now though, since stripes effectively stopped breeding xd.png

I have had people pm-ing me too, but usually it's just a polite request. I have had a pm once though from a random noob demanding a magma because I 'had an exorbitant amount of them' so I could surely spare them one blink.gif I reported them <.<

I have a lot of breeding requests (Hollies, Metalls, now prizes). However, most are quite nice, and I try to breed when I can, or explain why I can not.

I also used to ask for breeding myself, and I always did it in a nice and gentle manner.

Personally, I see nothing wrong in a nice and polite request. As there's nothing wrong in getting "no" as an answer: that's a game.

Edited by Outer Space

I guess my Scroll isn't 'yummy' enough for anyone to want anything from it, even though I have several Dorkfaces, Thuweds, Red Sox, a few D'Hennegels and Diors. I used to get PM's about people enjoying my names, but that's about it. Luckily, I've never had to put up with impolite demands that plague other players.

I've never had a breeding request so far, but, as I'm getting more and more rares/pretty lineages, I'm guessing that it will happen at one point. As long as someone was polite about it, I wouldn't mind breeding the egg they wanted for them. However, I might not do that for Metallics, as they take quite a while to breed. However, if someone said something along the lines of, "i want a silver breed me one," I'd decline.

I breed on request or I offer to breed if someone is looking for a lineage I can provide. Usually people ask nicely, so I haven't had anyone pestering me about something.

For my part, I'm doing a pb lineage and every now and again I ask people who have offered their help before if the offer still stands. I hope I have always been polite about it. ^^

What I don't like are people who take things for granted or don't even bother to thank you. A while ago, I traded a rare but the person on the other end lost it. The way the person reacted made me believe it was somehow my fault. I offered to breed a replacement and I didn't even get a thanks whatsoever. More or less the person demanded the lost egg was to be replaced. After that I declined. I also didn't bother to ask for my share of the trade. rolleyes.gif

no, it never happened to me. maybe because I just don't have anything very special and rare on my scroll biggrin.gif

That's not necessarily a bar; I have been asked for shallows, VAMPS (!) and neotrops !

I had a few requests and as they were very polite i was happy to help them. I send pm's too, to ask for "special" breedings i need for projects but i understand when they say it isn't possible or so. A bit disapointed but understanding.