MellaBella

Weddings and Marriage

If I ever get married it probably won't be too fancy, but I want something nice. I'll wear a tux, we'll have a cake, invite close friends/family. I don't feel the need to blow half a million dollars on a huge ordeal with a thousand people; just a small ceremony and party will do smile.gif

I don't want a huge wedding, I'd prefer family and friends only

being Greek though...

Another possible option I'd like is to have the renewal on top of the Santa Barbara Court House...I wish I had thought of that when we got married. We had the ceremony at the Pierpont Inn in Ventura.

Wiggles around uncomfortably

I dunno, man, I just feel like putting law to an emotion (sometimes even a fickle one, not through fault but by nature) is kind of dangerous financially/emotionally/socially.

I feel like if you love someone, you shouldn't need a ceremony or a piece of paper to prove it. I mean, it has sentimental value and even I think that weddings are cute over the dread I feel towards ever being in that situation.

I guess it's easy for me to say that because, at least here, after seven years of filing together, a couple is considered "legally married" without the weird contract or the extraneous traumas that may ensue in the potential end of a relationship.

That's just my weird opinion.

Me and my fiance don't want a formal wedding. We're both very informal people. And being that neither of us are religious, it probably won't involve a church (my dad says I can't be married in a church unless I'm Catholic and two seconds later says I have to be married in a church).

We've talked over having a local sandwich place provide the food =D

(and, no, we don't have a day yet)

I have never ben to a wedding before but that will change On may 28th. My sister is getting married and Im going to be a bridesmade. I was going to go to a wedding a few years back. It was my mom's friend's daughter's wedding. My mom decided to not make me go because it was my birthday. I hung out at my friend's house all day. Her mom took us out to eat and to play laser tag

I've been to a handful of weddings, and they were all quite nice. They were fun.

I've... actually never thought about my own wedding. Ever. Period. I'm just not one of those people. But.. It may stem from the fact that, for some reason, weddings make me horribly friggen depressed.

Yes. Really weird I know.

Like. They're still fun! And I'm happy for the couple. But I just have so many negative feelings towards the actual event. ...Does that make any sense what-so-ever?

No?

Kay. ninja.gif

I've always wanted to get married. I don't want to have a big wedding, but with how many friends I have? Ha! Good luck trying not to do that. tongue.gif I really want to have an outdoor wedding, and I want to ride down the aisle on a white horse. I wanted to have a green wedding dress, but green doesn't have a good meaning for wedding dresses. So I guess if I want some color on my dress, I'll have to go with blue accents (and then I can have a green reception dress). I want my wedding to be in the spring, and I want to have lots of flowers (I <3 flowers). biggrin.giftongue.gif But, I guess my wedding will have to wait 4+ years (because I'm only 14). tongue.gif

It would take someone SUPER special for me to ever get married, but if I do, I'd want to do it in a library. Specifically this one, the George Peabody Library. Look at how pretty it is!! Look at all of the books!! If I ever get married, it's going to be here. It would be a fairly large wedding (what can I say, it's a big venue, I've got a lot of friends), probably with my family, my friends, his family, his friends and more than likely a lot of their family (that I'm familiar with, I don't need strangers there).

Now that I think about it, I kind of just want to get married just to go to this library.

I'm okay with weddings but I doubt I will ever have one. Not because I don't want one but because I don't see myself ever meeting anyone to marry. That sounds depressing but I'm completely okay with it, I'm not in a rush, I'm just not attracted to anyone but that could change at anytime. laugh.gif

For my dream wedding, I'd think something of a Gothic cathedral would be awesome. Have crimson and gold colors and have lots of chocolate and roses.

Edited by Silent_Vampire

The main issue between me and marriage is the pressure-to-have-kids factor. I never want to have kids. And this is cold, but if birth control or whatever slips, though abortion is a horrible, horrible backup, its still a backup.

Stay at home moms are wonderful.

But I could never be one. I have spent eleven years in grade school as a workaholic basically, keeping my grades up, reputation clean and now in my senior year of high school I'm looking at career and university options. If I'm going to spend half of my life on education, and that much money I want to make the best of it, be successful, be able to support my parents in later life.

I used to entertain the idea of kids one day but now I feel like yes, I'm selfish. I could never give up a career and something I loved that much for kids. And I'm sorry. So yes like Silent_Vampire said, it is an issue of finding someone.

And I also feel like, sure, breakups are horrible, but divorces are ten times worse- especially if you're the one being left.

But if I ever get married (emphasis on if) I would make a statement and not wear a dress. I'd just wear a dress shirt, yoga pants and a tie maybe.

dry.gif I hate weddings. I am currently in one. Too much social conventions going on. From the Church down to the reception.

tongue.gif At least the food's nice.

I feel that big extravagant weddings are just a waste of both time and money. My parents were married by a judge (they are, for the record, a man and a woman and I am not adopted) and should I ever get married, I want the same for myself. Marriage may be an expression of love, but you can live with the one you love without marrying them; actual marriage grants certain legal rights, and so it has always made more sense to me that it be a legal rather than a religious thing.

I know not everyone agrees with that, but I personally am glad my parents got married that way.

Also to the ones saying 'I'll never wear a dress'... my mother wore a nice pant suit, and looked lovely in it. She was also in grad school at the time.

Edited by silver_chan

My then boyfriend/now fiancé proposed to me back in March, so I've had weddings on my mind a lot lately. wub.gif

I went out earlier this past week with my mom and a good friend, and found my dream dress. c: I've already ordered it and everything, the only difference is that mine will be a blush pink color instead. I'm getting really excited!

My wedding was average sized. White, puffy dress, and the bridesmaids wore dresses that shimmered between burgundy and black, and the groomsmen had vests that did the same. Unfortunately, I didn't have interest back when I got married (actually, that might have been a good thing... Too many ideas.) We had a white cake with raspberry filling, and got married in a church. Nothing extravagant.

To those who don't want children, I say, "Don't let that stop you from enjoying the other benefits of marriage." We've been married almost 12 years, and still don't have kids. (Dolphin232, don't discount the option of adoption, either. It's a far less horrible backup than abortion.) :-)

OT, but adoption system is a horrible, horrible abusive mess, never mind one still has to carry a pregnancy to term to be able to resort to that.

Church or chapel, close family and close friends, simple ceremony with cheap enough dress, and a three-course dinner with a soft jazz band for the post-party dance.

I'd probably have a small simple wedding. Something held in the backyard/small park, or a nice cozy church. Most likely a backyard since I'm not part of any religious faith unless my husband-to-be is. (Right now my SO is not, lol, so backyard wedding it is, whenever we have one in the future lol.)

The scheme has to be blues. eue Nice rich dark blues. I bet if I marry my SO he'd have all the groomsmen be reds and blacks to fit him. I'd have my bridesmaids (um since I'm a guy too are they bridesmaids or a second set of groomsmen or what...??? ...I shall dub them... GROOMSLADIES! Yes. Groomsladies.) all in nice rich dark blues and purples that shade into each other. Oh yeah baby. Something not too elaborate, and dresses that are easy to move around in lol. Since I'm a transman I'm not sure whether I'd want a tux myself orrrr... revel in the swishy flowing of gowns. I mean I don't really like wearing gowns except on special occasions [even when I presented as a girl I felt this way], but goddamn on those occasions the swish and flow of le skirt is ah-mazing.

Who says in a marriage of two men that one of them HAS to be in a tux? What if one of them likes dresses if they wanna be very fancy and likes looking like a beautiful man in them? <.<? Who says dresses are SOLELY a girl's thing after all?! >^< I can wear a dress and still be a goddamn man thank you VERY MUCH! >^< b And ROCK it. -w-

Also pair a cloak with it too and use that instead of a veil oh my yes. I LOVE the mystic dress with cloak combo! X3 Just have my hood up to hide my face and hair and then have my groom-to-be unveil me by gently brushing back the hood. X3 *Happy sigh* A celtic belt with my wand in my wand-holder is optional (but a damn good idea too!) (Yes I have a wand holder, why do you ask? It was a birthday gift from my awesome cool aunt! They are fantabulous! Everyone should have them! Srsly! Both the cool aunt and the wand-holder. *rim-shot*)

But yeah half the cake is chocolate and half is vanilla. Of course. -p- The cake toppers shall be dragons though. >83 (Dark blue and gold for me, with black and red for him LOL!) And the design of a mountain with waterfalls down the vanilla side, and be a dark volcano with rivers of lava down the chocolate side. >83 It will be epic badassery in the history of cakes. >83 All who look upon it shall tremble and despair [of both jealousy and not wanting to ruin it by eating it!]

My reception will be had with a big enough area for us all to dance in that backyard/park, because I LOVE DANCING. xd.png Let's get down and BOOGIE. -W-~ My dress must be a good dancing dress too, maximum swish and flowyness! <3 Like an elegant cascade of silk (not real silk but nice and smooth in feel and flow similar to one). Hell I could even grow my hair out to my shoulders for this and put it in a fancy 'do. X3

Pampering SPA DAYS for everyone [the bridesmaids and groomsmen] before the wedding! 8D They can choose to do it or not but the option's there if they want. ;3

The option to do video games instead of dance during the reception is a good idea! I could rig a room to be for that, since I know at least ONE person [a cousin on my mother's side] who would totally prefer gaming to talking to people or godforbid dancing. And there'd be a designated quiet room for people to take themselves to, read a book, listen to music with earbuds or headphones set in, and de-stress from the excitement and crush of people around them. Nice and calming, no talking aloud. :3

Of course my wedding would be restricted to family with some friends only. -p- Close family too. -p- My dad's side is really big but I really only know some of them well. O^e My mom's side is much easier because its much smaller. :3

I will be a badass bride-groom. -^- And my groomsladies shall rock their dresses! -^-~

-w-

We got married in Sri Lanka. I wanted a small wedding but my family wouldn't hear of it... for one, I come from a large and close-knit extended family and our neighborhood was also close knit. So we ended up with around 200 people at the reception. The only thing I put my foot down on was having bridesmaids and groomsmen and flower-girls and what-not. I did not want a wedding party at all, so that is something we didn't have.

I wore a sari (a traditional Sri Lankan dress) and it was so heavily worked with embroidery, gold wire and beads (pic below) that it was so bloody heavy! I remember being so tired by the time we crawled up to our room at the end of the reception.

user posted image

On the plus side it was held at a beachside hotel so we ended up with some very romantic photos that make me smile every time I see them wub.gif

user posted image

My family is Catholic, but I had left the Catholic church was already leaning Lutheran, so neither I nor my husband-to-be want a Catholic wedding mass. So we were married by a Marriage Registrar (kind of like a Justice of Peace). However when I came to the US, about a year later, we had a marriage celebration service at our Lutheran church. My husband wrote out the whole service except the sermon, so it was very meaningful to us.

My husband and I are an interracial couple - he's white/American, I'm Sri Lankan. At first I was a little apprehensive on how our different cultural backgrounds would merge, but we have gotten along amazingly well. I'm the one with the short fuse in our relationship, but I try to live by this quote I read in a great book called "When Sinners Say 'I Do'"... it said "the biggest sinner in your marriage is you". It helps me take a step back and rethink things when I start stewing over something or another. We're going on 7 married years now, and I think we have had like 3 or 4 major arguments in all that time. I'm not saying we're perfect, but I think we have a similar outlook towards marriage and life overall, shaped by our common faith, and it has helped shape our relationship, for which I am very thankful.

i think id either like to get married at a beach or at this one park in my town. i know the park hosts weddings and its very nostalgic for me since i grew up with it, but it's nowhere near the sea and i really love the sea too. i guess ill see. either way i really really want to get married when it's raining, but i'm not sure how likely that is. especially since i live in california :v

i really like the idea of having a wedding but it's also kinda scary too in reality...

no idea what id want to wear! probably a dress. i guess id just try to find something that speaks to me

Edited by Switch

Oh my I love that song!!! It's so narcissistic but it's cute.

I feel pretty, oh so pretty, I feel pretty and witty and gay. And I pity any girl who isn't me today.

I feel charming, oh so charming, it's alarming how charming I feel. And so pretty, I can hardly believe I'm real.

See the pretty girl in that mirror there? Who can that attractive girl be? Such a pretty face, such a pretty dress, such a pretty smile, such a pretty me!