MellaBella

Weddings and Marriage

Ah, a wedding. A only day aside from Halloween that provides an acceptable excuse for an adult to dress up in frilly princess nonsense. And I will take full advantage of that, thank you.

Since we're all talking about ideal weddings I'm just going to go nuts.

I'll never wear any of those ugly mermaid-tail shoulderless atrocities, I want my wedding gown to look like this. 8D I'd like to have an outdoor wedding in either the spring or the fall, so that I don't die in my dress made of frilly win. The groom should be clean-shaven, dressed up like Prince Albert, and have his hair long. At least shoulder-length.

I want a metal rendition of Pachebel's Canon played as I walk down the aisle. The priest doing the wedding dedications and leading the prayers and whatnot should be able to pull off a Nathan Explosion-style death metal growl throughout the whole thing. And then I want a metal rendition of whatever that other song is that they play at the end of the ceremony as we leave. I haven't figured out the reception yet, but I'll probably have metal playing there too. Also the food should be served while on fire.

I want a pretty Victorian cake covered in froof. Something like this. I want to cut it with a Viking-style dagger.

SO BASICALLY:

Everything that is prissy and girly becomes even more prissy and girly.

Everything that's boring becomes metal.

:3

Except for the metal I think I love you.

I don't want a really sleek dress, but I also don't want like, Charlotte dress. I do love an off-the-shoulder strap though. Corset top. Sweetheart neckline. Not a super-huge train, either on the dress or veil. I'm not even sure if I'll have a veil lol.

Edited by NixAyum

As someone who hates dress shopping with a passion - shopping for a wedding dress is quite different. It was the only dress I ever enjoyed shopping for.

Our wedding colors were red and white. It worked out nicely, because the interior of the church we were married in was also red and white. We had originally thought of trying for an outdoor wedding, but decided with unpredictable Oklahoma weather it was probably better to plan things inside.

Since music is something that's very important to both of us, we bucked the traditional wedding music and picked things we liked and were important to us. For example, I walked down the aisle to Adiemus. We also had some Enya and Cusco.

We rode in a horse-drawn carriage from the church to the reception. The reception was in an old theater, and our names were on the marquee. The theater atmosphere was pretty, but the lighting was not that great for photographs. Our toasting glasses and cake topper were this interlocking dragon design.

Also, a piece of advice for brides to be: Wear comfortable shoes. You are going to be on your feet all day, so keep this in mind. Also, the trouble with very bulky gowns is that they are HOT, so you may not want to be outdoors in a large gown.

If your wedding photographer offers a pre-wedding shoot, take it. Yes, you'll see each other in your wedding clothes beforehand, but you will actually get to enjoy your reception rather than taking pictures. In addition, you can take photographs at the location of your choice. Ours were done all around our university campus, because it's really beautiful.

I probably won't get married for quite a few years, because I really need to go to college and explore the world some to find the "right" guy because every guy around here makes me go BLECH DUN LIKE YOU. << Now, part of that is also because Infi does not like gansters who cannot pull up their pants and who do not know how to use a belt properly. :B

I'd probably have a black dress. Or a very very dark blue dress :B Because I don't like white very much and I definitely don't look too great in pink. D|

@AngelKitty: omg I love dresses like that. That is a dress style I'd wear. In black or dark blue. 83 And usually I don't really like dresses.

And. I want to get married in a castle. 83 Or possibly outside near a forest, in the evening. 'Course if I get mine outside, it will have to be in late fall or winter, because I do not do well with bugs and I'd rather not smell like bug spray at my wedding. :B

But mostly a castle. I love castles.

And the cake. I want an epic cake in shades of deep blue and black. 83 Because blue and black are awesome. o3o And I want it to have at least 3 layers/tiers/whatever-they-call-'em.

As for music I'd probably have the traditional stuff as long as it could all be played on piano. I love piano music.

@AngelKitty again: That is an awesome cake. o3o

I have a feeling that if/when my wedding happens, it'll be an insane sugarfest of cake, lulz.

Edited by Infinis

Oh, I LOVE going to weddings!! There's so much colour, and music. I've had cousins, aunts and uncles get married, and I usually (along with all the young female relatives) get to help the bride dress up (the saris and make up are so complicated) and look after the gifts and the younger kids- and once I was even allowed to help decorate the mandap!! And then there's the actual ceremony, with the mantras being recited and the priest is often so pompous!! I remember the bride kept making faces at us while the old priest just droned on! xd.png And then we get to eat! As much as we want... /end gush mode

Um... my wedding... Probably never going to happen. I want to marry for love, and the only prospect for a girl like me is an arranged marriage. But if I do get a wedding, I want my pets to attend. And I want to wear a blue or a green sari instead of the traditional red. And maybe I could do without all that loud music too. Hm...

Marriage? Eh.

Spending my life with the same person? Sure, I'll bite. Legally binding myself to that person? Not too sure on that count.

Can't I have the big beautiful wedding, pledge in front of all my family and friends that I love so-and-so, and want to spend my life with him...go off and have a wild and crazy honeymoon, but not actually get married? Be all like, "Hey, we're not going to actually tie the knot...but we are going to celebrate our love!"

I always wanted to have my wedding on the beach, at sunrise. An autumn wedding would be lovely. Light blues and cream colors would be the over all theme, I'm thinking a dress like this: yes please. I'd love to have a red/white wedding, but red just so isn't my color. D:

I wouldn't want a lot of people there, certainly no more than 30 or so...our collective families and some close friends.

I wouldn't want to walk down the isle to the traditional wedding march(and ideally the 'groom' and I would walk down together, since I don't have anyone to give me away anyway, unless my mom does). Something that has meaning to the both of us, or whatever I happen to like. Whatever.

The cake, three tier chocolate with strawberries. Blue and wavy icing, simple and delicious.

The reception would probably be held in a hotel by the beach. Just good friends having fun and sharing in the joy.

The wedding part I'm all for, the spending indulgent amounts of money on a ceremony to celebrate love I'm all for. It's the pesky 'marriage' part after I'd like to avoid.

This might be a shameless plug, but I want to desgn wedding cakes when I finish college >3>

/shot

I love decorating cakes. I'll probably even make my own wedding cake XD

And. I want to get married in a castle. 83 Or possibly outside near a forest, in the evening. 'Course if I get mine outside, it will have to be in late fall or winter, because I do not do well with bugs and I'd rather not smell like bug spray at my wedding. :B

But mostly a castle. I love castles.

Ohmigod that would be epic! I'm not sure we've got any castles around, though, and I want my extended family to be able to afford to come.

And the cake. I want an epic cake in shades of deep blue and black. 83 Because blue and black are awesome. o3o And I want it to have at least 3 layers/tiers/whatever-they-call-'em.

But wouldn't that turn everyone's teeth/mouth black and blue? That would be my concern. That's why I nixed my husband's idea for black icing on some of our cupcakes -- it would look great, but it would stain if dropped and it would probably stain our teeth!

The only reason I'm including white in our colors is so I can have a mostly white dress and so that the cupcake icing can be partly white (I like vanilla icing anyway). Also, as it turns out, it makes it so that we can have Stargazer lilies.

Can't I have the big beautiful wedding, pledge in front of all my family and friends that I love so-and-so, and want to spend my life with him...go off and have a wild and crazy honeymoon, but not actually get married?

Yeah, sure! I mean, I would tell people that it's not a legally binding thing, just so that bad feelings don't come up later, but why shouldn't you be able to do that? You sign all the legal paperwork at a different time, anyway. I'd wager that many people are technically already married by the time the ceremony happens, so there's not reason you couldn't have the ceremony without going to the courthouse or whatnot at all.

Edited by FireAngel73

Oh bloody hell, I'm glad I never have to do a wedding again. It was bad enough the first time. Figuring out the logistics was not fun. By the time we actually said our vows, even the girls were just ready to get it over with.

Still, we had our friends and a big dinner and a small reception-type thing after the ceremony itself. We ended up doing about nine vows, though, while most people only have to do about two.

Oh wow, lots of posts since I last saw the thread. o: I love eeeeveryone's ideas.

Hehehe, my best friend wants to be my wedding planner. She was joking with me today and was like "YOU AND ZACH SHOULD HAVE A WoW WEDDIIIIIIING." And I was like "...NOOOOOO. I love Wow, but not that much, silly. XD"

I was going to ask Zach what he thought about the aquarium idea, but I couldn't last night.. due to him.. being in a bad mood. Baww.

Mella! Since your class is doing a Disney theme you /have/ to play Kingdom Dance from Tangled at the reception. <3 ALSO FOR NEKO I KNOW YOU STALK. Kingdom Dance. Awesome song.

A video-game themed wedding...might actually be pretty awesome if done right. /starts daydreaming about a KH theme

(psssst blatant nudge to cakewrecks blog because they feature /epically pretty/ wedding cakes sometimes.)

weddings! yes, I am that very person who doesn't like them because of the stamp in your passport. me and my bf are living together and have a baby, yet we are npt married yet. the main reason I want to have a wedding is to freak out people cool.gif on my wedding I'll be wearing a black dress, black bridal veil, grinders, torn stockins and other nice things. and I think we'll have something funny instead of rings. and I'm going to arrange a really crazy party with all of my friends.

But wouldn't that turn everyone's teeth/mouth black and blue? That would be my concern. That's why I nixed my husband's idea for black icing on some of our cupcakes -- it would look great, but it would stain if dropped and it would probably stain our teeth!

Eh, it depends, really. If you use fondant instead of icing, staining shouldn't be a problem, but fondant can either be too sweet or too thick and chewy, so you really need to actually have whoever's doing your cake provide a sample.

Another way would be to airbrush the color you want onto the cake so that the underlying frosting is white, but only a small outer layer is actually colored.

You can also avoid staining just by drinking water afterwards and giving a good swish or by just drinking water c:

Everything that is prissy and girly becomes even more prissy and girly.

Everything that's boring becomes metal.

I JES LUV IT.

Seriously.

I'm not gonna copy your idea, since I take pride in my creativity [/not], but I ought to say, I would like totally attend a wedding like this, even it costing me an international trip.

My idea of a pagan ceremony sounds so totally lame now. Meh.

Eh, it depends, really. If you use fondant instead of icing, staining shouldn't be a problem, but fondant can either be too sweet or too thick and chewy, so you really need to actually have whoever's doing your cake provide a sample.

Another way would be to airbrush the color you want onto the cake so that the underlying frosting is white, but only a small outer layer is actually colored.

You can also avoid staining just by drinking water afterwards and giving a good swish or by just drinking water c:

I don't understand where the fondant hate comes from. :c It's sweet and smooth, thicker than icing and I think it fares better in bad weather. The only downside is cracking, but it's easy to avoid if you work it right (right?).

I want a super-pretty smooth awesome cake, and definitely would like a fondant-decorated one.

I think weddings are so beautiful smile.gif

The only wedding I've been to that I remember, though, was an Indian wedding this past summer. Although Indian weddings are LONG, they are so beautiful! The bride had the loveliest dress and makeup I have ever seen, and the whole thing was just amazing.

Eventually, I do want to get married. However, I am definitely too young; in California I don't think 16-year-olds can even think about getting married.

I have been with my boyfriend for almost three years now, and I figure we'll be together a long time; therefore I would like to marry young.

Does anyone have any advice for getting married? Should I wait longer than possibly 18? Please understand that I know that "my whole life is ahead of me" and all that stuff, and I know that 16 is very young to be thinking about this, but I just would like some advice from people who have done it.

I'm not married either, Mirikitani, but I'd say that if you and your boyfriend both agree on the idea, and if you're really sure he's a wonderful, lovely person, then... why not?

I'd only advise you to wait until you have finished high school. If you [or both of you] intend to go to university, I'd also advise that you wait until past graduation, because exams and studies and everything else already imply a big ugly lot of stress. tongue.gif

Also, you might think a bit about financial issues. Keeping a family isn't cheap at all, and kids make it even worse. Make sure both you and your spouse-to-be are both capable of sustaining your family. Make sure you won't easily succumb to stress, fight over little things, etc.

Apart from that, I don't see why you couldn't and shouldn't marry. smile.gif

[And no getting pregnant before that, eh? Being a teenage mom isn't always that cool, so don't risk it unless you really want it.]

I secretly would love a big elaborate wedding. Probably Victorian Style, or Renaissance.

But realistically, I would much rather have a small wedding and have an awesome honeymoon.

When you think about it, the wedding is mostly for other people, the honeymoon is just for you and your (hopefully) loved one.

Why does everyone think Marriage=Kids?

Plenty of people are perfectly content getting married and not having children smile.gif

I'd only advise you to wait until you have finished high school. If you [or both of you] intend to go to university, I'd also advise that you wait until past graduation, because exams and studies and everything else already imply a big ugly lot of stress. tongue.gif

I think that's a good idea.

I feel that marriage, for us, would add a lot of stability to our relationship, because currently we go to different High Schools and we are only able to see each other 2, maybe 3 times each week. I'm amazed that we have lasted this long though minimal face-to-face talking xd.png

[And no getting pregnant before that, eh? Being a teenage mom isn't always that cool, so don't risk it unless you really want it.]

This.

Is why we are waiting. xd.png

NixAyum said:
I don't understand where the fondant hate comes from. :c It's sweet and smooth, thicker than icing and I think it fares better in bad weather. The only downside is cracking, but it's easy to avoid if you work it right (right?).

I want a super-pretty smooth awesome cake, and definitely would like a fondant-decorated one.

Well, I can understand it. I have had really amazing fondant, but I've also had fondant that tastes like flour...it was awful.

Edited by FireAngel73

I think at that young of an age you really can't tell what the other person is going to be like. Men still go through hormone changes until in their 20s...

I think not just based on "love" itself, but based on financial status as well. You should really have an idea of what it's like to both live on your own and live with someone else before you get into a long term commitment like that.

You would be amazed at how different people can be when you have to live with them and see them everyday tongue.gif

I think at that young of an age you really can't tell what the other person is going to be like. Men still go through hormone changes until in their 20s...

I think not just based on "love" itself, but based on financial status as well. You should really have an idea of what it's like to both live on your own and live with someone else before you get into a long term commitment like that.

You would be amazed at how different people can be when you have to live with them and see them everyday tongue.gif

Yeah, I really do advocate living together before marriage, even if you aren't intimate, or have a two bedroom apartment or whatever, it's good to see what that person is like when you're around them all the time. People can wear masks on the street, but they've got to take them off some time.

If I ever got married, and I think I would if I found the right person, I'm not too fussed as long as there's a proper engagement.

All I know is that if we were having a reception, it would have to be a ceilidh! wub.gif

And I want my (probably) husband to wear a kilt.

But fondant can be too sweet. And it's definitely a fickle beast. Too humid and it'll get sticky, to hot and it'll melt and sweat, cold and then hot makes it sweat, dry makes it crack... and some cake decorators really put it on thick.

You'll want gumpaste decorations c: they hold up better than fondant decorations, and by that I mean they're stiffer and they make better flowers.

I definitely am against the "institution" of marriage, because it's not something that is based on love. It seems to me like marriage came about as a way of selling/trading women, and is extremely sexist in a variety of other ways. I mean, think of monarchies from different countries that would marry off a princess in order to form alliances. Even the poor would trade daughters for pigs or land. Even today, it's a joke with mail order brides and that type of thing, and arranged marriages make be "looked down upon" but they still happen.

I get a lot of people angry at me when discussing gay marriage because I don't think it should be legalized, not because I have anything against the gay community (considering I'm apart of it, being bisexual) but because I feel that marriage should be abolished. It's none of the government's business who I decide to spend the rest of my life with. I won't even get started on divorce... I mean, people having to pay lawyers to break up?

On the other hand, I'm a big fan of weddings and commitment ceremonies, and I think if marriage were abolished these things would mean a lot more. It's all about standing in front of your family and friends (& God, or whichever deity you wish to bless your partnership) and announcing your love and commitment to another person whom you love.

I guess my views seem a little backwards, or maybe typical considering I come from a "broken home" as it were, but here's my vote.

Weddings, yay! Marriage, nay!

And as far as my wedding, I think I'd like a mash up of ceremonies from different cultures, instead of what I think of as a traditional wedding here. Like, there's this Chinese (maybe Japanese? Not sure, I saw it in a movie...) tradition where the bride and the groom have to go underneath a sheet and look at themselves in a mirror and envision themselves growing old together. I think that's so sweet!

Sorry this is so long... unsure.gif

I know that some people just do not like the fact that they have to sign a slip of paper to show the world they love each other.

EXACTLY THIS!!!

but, my idea of a wedding... its more of a "last priority"

i mean like, me and my last girlfriend... god, we were amazing... she wanted to get married and i didn't i wanted to wait...

and it tore us apart so much, we recently had splitten up it just got too hard..

but like, marriage if you love someone, what it boils down to... it is a commitment in the eyes of god whether you are religious or not. it is very binding and such a strong commitment, brings two lovers closer to the end goal you know?

When i want to get married, i wanna know we can last... so it will take a good while, and i want to have my life set on my path... cant be getting married too quickly, and resentment festers due to lifes normal stressors.