Anarie

C.S.Lewis

I searched for the topic here and didn't find, but if it already exists, than sorry.

Well, C.S.Lewis is an author of Chronicles of Narnia and that's what he is best known for. Well, I must admit these are the best books for children I've ever read, beautiful and wise. At least that is my own opinion. BUT Chronicles...are not his only books, he wrote also for adults smile.gif Lately I found Till we have faces and after reading about forty pages I was really impressed. It is totally different from what I used to see in his books. I'm going to buy the book so I could have it on my own.

I'd like to know, what are your feelings about this author and what exactly did you read. Is the rest of his books equally amazing?

I love the Chronicles of Narnia. Its a great series, I read it when I was about 6/7 years old. I am going to reread it after I finish up the series I am reading now.

I love The Chronicles of Narnia <3333 Been my favorite series ever since I was... I don't know, 6 or 7? (Same as Vang smile.gif) I reread it every so often, and it never grows old~ I think he has a great view on life.

I really like the Chronicles too. There was a TV series, which I watched when I was about... 4, maybe. But it was not until 6th or 7th grade (when I bought and read all seven books) that I remembered some scenes and actually understood what they were about - the moment when Aslan was killed. I had blurred memories of some riff-raff with strange faces/masks revelling around. They really creeped me out.

I haven't read any of Professor Lewis' other books. What genre are they?

I certainly like the Chronicles of Narnia, and I'm also reading another of his books called the Screwtape Letters.

I love the Chronicles of Narnia and reread them constantly. Lol didnt know he wrote other books though, so I should look them up and see how they are.

All I know of his work is The Chronicles of Narnia. I read them up until Voyage of the Dawn Treader and honestly, I'm not a fan. It's kind of hard to explain, but I just don't like his writing style. It urks me. XP

I haven't read any of Professor Lewis' other books. What genre are they?

Well, he wrote some strictly religious essays and I must admit I haven't read them. In my first post I wrote about "Till we have faces" - It is a retold myth of Eros and Psyche, from her sister's point of view. It is completely different from the Chronicles, written in another way, using different language. I really recommend this book. But that is all I know of his work, except for the Chronicles wink.gif

My family owns a few of his books. I have read the Chronicles of Narnia and loved them. We also got the Radio Theater set by Focus on the Family.

I think we also have the Screwtape Letters and at least two books in his Space Trilogy. I have not read any of them.

I love The Chronicles of Narnia. I reread it at least once a year.

I tried to read Surprised by Joy for summer reading many years ago but was so bored by it that I never finished it. Fortunately for me, my teacher did not require a short summary when school started. happy.gif I might try finishing it some day. I hope that now that I am older, I might appreciate it better.

I have The Screwtape Letters in my to-read pile.

@Lady_DragonRider: I also have the Radio Theater set of The Chronicles of Narnia. I don't normally enjoy audiobooks but I like this one. smile.gif

Edited by Maladroit

Certainly, The Chronicles of Narnia was and still remains a lovely tale, as mentioned in all of the posts above (these were the only pieces I have finished from beginning to end). However, I haven't quite gotten around to finishing some of his other works, though I have most likely read through bits and pieces of his Space Trilogy as well as The Screwtape Letters. I must say, from these pieces comes a not merely odd, yet still strange writing style that I have a deep interest in in particular. With that aside, I'm also considering finding a copy of his "autobiography" Surprised By Joy out of my own curiosity. Edited by Angelwolf1

I have a terrible problem with getting his books. As Chronicles are available everywhere, others are not... they aren't known well here in Poland... sad.gif

I liked the first 3 or 4 books. Then the Horse and His Boy and the Last Battle didn't really make sense to me (overly confusing) and I didn't really like the plot.

L, W, and the W was good, along with prince caspian and the Voyage. Silver Chair was okay, but it was better than the Horse and his Boy.

I really like C.S. Lewis and his books. i loved the Chronicles of Narnia series, and i read it for the first time when i was about 8. i've re-read it lots of other times, since it's one of my favorite series. i didn't know he had other books, though. wasn't he a really devoted Christian?

Edited by Lady of the Stars

I liked the first 3 or 4 books. Then the Horse and His Boy and the Last Battle didn't really make sense to me (overly confusing) and I didn't really like the plot.

L, W, and the W was good, along with prince caspian and the Voyage. Silver Chair was okay, but it was better than the Horse and his Boy.

^^ This, exactly!

I read them all when I was little (about 6 years old) and bought a box set when I was early 20's. I read all of them every now and again.

The Lion the Witch and the Warbrobe will always be my favorite in the set.

TD.x.

I read the first few books of the Chronicles of Narnia, but after The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, they really started to bore me. I had to force my way through A Horse and His Boy, and I stopped in the middle of whatever the next one was. Prince Caspian maybe? I don't know.

I never really picked up on the religious undertones of them when I was reading them, but evidently there were some.

Well, my favourite is third part, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader... I just love this book. And I wasn't bored when I was reading further parts, for me they are all wonderfull and wise, but that I discovered only few years ago when I was re-reading them for another point of view.

I am planning to read the Chronicles of Narnia (have only seen one of the movies) and the Screwtape Letters when I get a chance. My husband had watched Max McLean do a one-man-show of Screwtape Letters and he was so impressed by it - said Mr. McLean really did justice to the book - so if we get any chance at all, we'd go and watch it.

I really like C.S. Lewis and his books. i loved the Chronicles of Narnia series, and i read it for the first time when i was about 8. i've re-read it lots of other times, since it's one of my favorite series. i didn't know he had other books, though.  wasn't he a really devoted Christian?

Yes, he was. At least later in his life. And that kinda pervades his books.

I love The Chronicles of Narnia with my favorite being The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I reread them frequently, some more than others. You can tell my favorites by the crease line on the binding!

I also read the first two books in the space trilogy. Donno why I never got around to reading the last. I suppose I will eventually.

I've heard Mere Christianity and the Screwtape Letters are good and keep meaning to read them, but haven't yet.

The Screwtape Letters is a must read for anyone, even staunch atheists. It's an amazing book. Mere Christianity is also a great read, and gives wonderful argumentation on particulars of his faith, starting from the ground up (belief in a higher power, leading to a belief in a "god" figure, leading to his belief in the Christian God.)

The Chronicles of Narnia is an amazing classic, with wondeful symbolism and Christian parallels. C.S. Lewis was a truly great author.

I've loved the Chronicles of Narnia since the first time I read them when I was 8 years old or something like that (I don't remember exactly how old I was when I found them). Though, it has been about five years now since I read them the last time, so I've been thinking about to re-read them.

And I had no idea that he had other books as well, so I really have to read those too, hehe. (: