lola92

Posting other's eggs

I've view bombed my own eggs once just to see if I could, all it took was simply posting them a few places with the note requesting for help killing them, and that's all a bomber needs. Signing up and registering fan sights won't stop view bombing at all. Frankly if you have your eggs unfogged your susceptible at any moment. Even more so if you have them in a signature on a forum. There are plenty of malicious people out there that will get bored or annoyed at signature pets and kill them just for fun.

Bombers don't even need a account to bomb so saying scroll burning as a punishment seems off. You just have to play carefully knowing there are plenty of malicious people out there.

Since this thread already exists figured I use it rather than start a new one.

Is anyone else noticing any view bombing attacks on their scrolls?

Last night I caught my first CB black from the cave in over 2 years. Before that egg was even 1 hour old it suddenly gained a bunch of views. I had not had a chance to post it anywhere hence why it caught my attention so quickly. I also noticed my other eggs/hatchlings were generating suddenly high numbers of views that they should not have been getting.

I didn't have my dragons posted anywhere at the time. Most of my hatchlings had enough views to grow up without needing any extra help so I had pulled them from my usual fansites. I had an experiment going on with a couple of the hatchlings. The view bombing ruined it for one, but thankfully not the other..guess I'll just have to keep it hidden and try to re-work the experiment slightly. The view bombing also ruined some really nice potential stock as I had a couple of ER hatchlings/eggs I was hoping to trade and were keeping their views low for as long as possible while leaving them visible so people could look at the lineages, but the hatchlings of course grew up with the rush of views they got. sigh.

For that many sudden views I knew that my dragons had to be posted around on fansites. This was not a case of "that many" people simultaneously looking at my scroll from my signature link on the forum or anything. So I did some hunting around and found out that someone had maliciously posted my entire scroll on the Eggs Around the world website and possibly some others. I removed them from EATW and then had to fog everything over night hoping it would clear them from any other sites they might be posted on.

I clearly have "NO AID" turned on in my signature and the majority of the dragons on my scroll are noticeably "well taken care of" based on views and require no aid what so ever. Anyone looking at my scroll can see I am no "newbie needing help". I can only assume someone was extremely ticked off I had caught the CB black from the cave and was trying to view bomb everything on my scroll in retaliation because the bombing occurred so close to the time I had caught the egg.

It would be nice if Fansites could put restrictions on only allowing scroll owners to post dragons and not just some random nutjob trying to seek revenge, but the coding involved would be a bear I think.

edit, spelling errors

Edited by WraithZephyr

... then had to fog everything over night hoping it would clear them from any other sites they might be posted on.

Just a note that this is not a reliable removal method anymore, and hasn't been for quite a while. At least a few (Silvi's comes to mind) sites only remove fogged dragons from circulation, not from the site entirely, so once they're unfogged and the site notices, they start getting views again. It annoys me to no end.

I've had some random view-gains, but nothing significant lately. A recently-offered egg I had up for teleport someone apparently decided needed to be hatched before it even reached 6 days, and added it several places for me, but once removed, it seemed to stay removed, at least. And I periodically get people deciding that my 5+ day gendered hatchlings (usually CB ones, at that!) desperately need more views, and find them listed everywhere even though I only use a couple sites and removed them once they gendered. Those times, I tend to have to repeatedly remove, and eventually fog and/or hide my scroll, before it stops, which is stupid. Even if people don't read the "no aid" message, you would think they could at least take the hint that if a dragon is re-removed from sites, the owner doesn't want them listed there, and leave well enough alone...

It's always a little unsettling to go to a backup site, enter your scroll name and find out one or more of your dragons are already there! I do not accept aid on my scroll, and at this point I use AoND as my primary, and EATW, Silvi's Lair or DDF as backup.

Sometimes, I may not need backup at all, then decide I want a hatchling to gender faster, or make sure an egg will hatch when it hits its 3d23h59m mark. I go to a backup site and find I have eggs there that I did not enter. While most may be AP that the original owner forgot to remove, there are sometimes a CB or ones I've bred that have been a little questionable.

A few days ago, the sick AP Sunset egg I picked up was already on Silvi's, when it was about to grow up and I entered my scroll for a different hatchling and egg. Even though it was fogged almost all the time I had it, only unfogging to hatch, gender and grow up, it may be one of the places the original owner had placed it. I suspect they had just tried to get it to hatch outside its very specific time frame, and were not view-bombing with any malicious intent. When it got sick, they abandoned it, without removing it from the sites they used.

Edited to correct a couple typing errors.

Edited by dragongrrl

I think, burning people's scrolls is a too severe measure for ounishment. I myself saved some of my abandoned offspring by adding them to hatcheries, but only in case if:

1) the owner is accepting aid. and if so I'll still not post babies until they are ER so that they don't get sick.

2) if the owner is not accepting aid I still may sometimes save eggs. I usually look at the whole scroll. if there are already dead eggs on the scroll that died because they didn't get enough views during 7 days and if the stats say it is not the ND experiment, in other words if it is clearly seen the owner has forgotten about his scroll/has no access to internets, I will add the babies (again only if they are ER). yes, I DO understand that when I abandon an egg it's not my business anymore but if I am completely sure that saving it will do good and the owner would be grateful for it, I'll do it.

This is what I do with my dragons' offspring. If help is on, and it needs it, I'll give it. If there's no help on, but the scroll is obiviously new (no trophies, lots of dead eggs from no views, etc etc) I will probably help. Newbies might not realize how to change that option, and may not understand why their eggs are dying. Oftentimes they don't have forum accounts either, so I cannot send them a message to give them a helping hand. There's one particular scroll I look over often, who does have help on, but cannot raise eggs. The poor lass cannae keep a batch, they just don't get the views. I wish I could message this person to give them some fansite links, but I can't, so I just watch over and help whenever I can.

Scroll burning does seem rather serious when it's difficult to prove who it was and if intentions were malicious. Something like killing all the eggs of the viewbomber or just finding a way to ban them from acessing the site (I have no idea how this would work, just throwing it out there) would be better. In this case, the risk of blaming an innocent person is just too high.

If i am accepting aid go ahead. If i'm not,back off. Point said,but then theres the stupid people that thnk there helping it when it has like 80 freaking clicks and gets sick every 5 seconds xd.png

I don't know how to solve the problem without changing the entire basis of the site... but now I'm paranoid about my eggs/hatchies. >.> I've never had somebody maliciously viewbomb me, and I'm not expecting it, but... yeah. -stares at scroll-

I don't know how to solve the problem without changing the entire basis of the site... but now I'm paranoid about my eggs/hatchies. >.> I've never had somebody maliciously viewbomb me, and I'm not expecting it, but... yeah. -stares at scroll-

malicious view bombing doesn't happen often but it does happen. Sometimes it's just someone wanting to kill whatever they can just for the fun of it (attacking a lot of scrolls at the same time). Other times it can be someone seeking revenge because of the mistaken belief someone else sniped their trade through the AP... but now that teleport exists those types of attacks are likely to drop off.

I think my problem was a sore loser type over not being faster at grabbing the cb black from the cave. since they have the code for the egg from the failed catch page it's easy enough to just change the "get" to "view" and be able to see the egg page and my scroll name. EATW is a site that you only need to enter a scroll name to pull up the dragons so it would be very easy for someone else to attack other people that way. The fansites have no checks and balances to keep unauthorized people from putting your scroll on their sites since they are not password protected or anything that would only allow the scroll owner to do the adding.

edit, spelling errors

Edited by WraithZephyr

I check up on eggs that I've bred all the time. If someone that snagged one of my eggs is accepting aid, and I see that their eggs are at emergency room stage, sure I'll help them every time. But if that person hasn't given permission for help, I don't touch it. It's called respecting someone's wishes. Who am I to go against what they prefer? Why would anyone? **shrug**

Edit: I just snagged a CB gold, my very first one, and didn't give a moment's thought to posting in the congrats thread. Noone messed with my scroll, and I suppose they could have out of spite. I tend to want to believe people are better than that though...plus, it was my first in a year and a half of trying to get a gold, so maybe people understood my excitement about it, even if they were disappointed that they didn't get it themselves. Being malicious about pixels is just flat out sad as hell. :/

Edited by MedievalMystic

I track my bred eggs for recordkeeping, but not until a month or so after they're dropped. Less anxiety for me, and fewer urges to 'lend a hand' whether the new owner wants me to or not.

On my own scroll, I generally fog everything until it drops below 4 days. At that point, bombs away. smile.gif

Thank you WraithZephyr for linking me here, when I searched it didn't pop up, not sure why? blink.gif

I always use the same hatchery, never have any problems. My eggies get a nice number of views and grow up at just under 4 days.

Last night I went to bed with an egg on around 2500 views at 4d 6h and expected to wake up to my new hatchie. Look this morning and it has 15176 and had died of sickness! mad.gif My other hatchies seem to have gained a couple of thousand extra views too but at least they aren't sick.

I've fogged everyone for safety and now I find I am indeed not alone. sad.gif

Edited by Brightstar_Farm

I had a Nilia Pygmy viewbombed the other day. It survived luckily, but only just. I have my suscipisions as to who it was, because it was only my pygmy, no other dragons. Even so, there's no point getting wound up over it. Just a game. If it gets to you, the viewbomber got what they wanted.

@Brightstar_Farm: Sunrise/set eggs can only hatch within certain time frames. Perhaps what happened is that it hit the ER mark just outside of the hatching window, got automatically added to ERs, and got enough views to die of sickness before the next hatching window. It might not be a case of malice after all.

Edit: Okay, so I'm probably telling you something you already know. Still, 4d6h before you went to bed does seem to support my theory.

Edit 2: And that would explain why it was just that one egg.

Edited by Mathcat

I track my bred eggs for recordkeeping, but not until a month or so after they're dropped. Less anxiety for me, and fewer urges to 'lend a hand' whether the new owner wants me to or not.

This is totally me. I don't look at eggs I've abandoned until *after* they have grown up, to stop the whole "omg they are going to die and I can't do anything 'cause they don't accept aid!" train of thought.

I would like it if there was some way to know if a newbie has "not accepting aid" checked because that's what they want, or because they just don't know how to change it or that they *can* change it. I would love it if, when newbies signed up, that was something that was actually asked of them in the game. "Would you like to accept stranger's help in growing your eggs, meaning that they are allowed to post your dragons to sites to give them views? Or would you rather do this on your own and not give permission to just anyone?"

Then, at the very least, we could stop people from saying "but they are a newbie! They don't know any better! So I put their dragons into hatcheries even though they aren't accepting aid, because they probably don't know how to change that!".

Honestly, if you're all that worried about View Bombing, just hide your scroll and fog your eggs. If your eggs die because you didn't fog them, then that's your fault. You can't blame someone else for your ignorance.

This is totally me. I don't look at eggs I've abandoned until *after* they have grown up, to stop the whole "omg they are going to die and I can't do anything 'cause they don't accept aid!" train of thought.

I would like it if there was some way to know if a newbie has "not accepting aid" checked because that's what they want, or because they just don't know how to change it or that they *can* change it. I would love it if, when newbies signed up, that was something that was actually asked of them in the game. "Would you like to accept stranger's help in growing your eggs, meaning that they are allowed to post your dragons to sites to give them views? Or would you rather do this on your own and not give permission to just anyone?"

Then, at the very least, we could stop people from saying "but they are a newbie! They don't know any better! So I put their dragons into hatcheries even though they aren't accepting aid, because they probably don't know how to change that!".

All that needs to be done is change the help default to accept help. That way newbies could get help and if help is turned off people would know that person really doesn't want their assistance. Never could understand why the default was set to not accept help anyway.

@Brightstar_Farm:  Sunrise/set eggs can only hatch within certain time frames.  Perhaps what happened is that it hit the ER mark just outside of the hatching window, got automatically added to ERs, and got enough views to die of sickness before the next hatching window.  It might not be a case of malice after all.

Edit: Okay, so I'm probably telling you something you already know.  Still, 4d6h before you went to bed does seem to support my theory.

Edit 2: And that would explain why it was just that one egg.

Just a few things,

Sunrise/Sunset eggs can hatch at any time, hatching time just decides which kind it is.

It would have hit ER status before I got up but if it was only in the one site I use that wouldn't have been an issue. They aren't automatically ER'ed on that site.

It wasn't just one egg, my hatchies gained several thousand views over night too. I'm just lucky they aren't all sick.

@ MysticTiger the point is people shouldn't have to hide their scroll and fog their eggs. It makes me sad I'm doing that at the moment, I like others to be able to see my scroll.

I personally don't care if someone posts my eggs, especially because they need all the help they can get. None of my eggs/hatchies has ever gotten sick or anything though, so I think that plays into it a little. smile.gif I think burning a scroll is a severe punishment, which would be stupid to do to someone, just because they thought they were helping. And also, like others have said, it's just a game, get over it. cool.gif

Honestly, if you're all that worried about View Bombing, just hide your scroll and fog your eggs. If your eggs die because you didn't fog them, then that's your fault. You can't blame someone else for your ignorance.

There are different types of view bombing. Most often view bombing is the fault of the scroll owner putting eggs on too many sites. My particular case is not of this nature. I did NOT have my dragons fan sites and then left unwatched overnight allowing for views to go unchecked. This was a fresh caught CB egg that was IMMEDIATELY (along with my entire scroll) and maliciously attacked - this was not my fault, not my ignorance. NO ONE should have to fog any fresh caught CB egg the moment they are picked up from the cave drop.

I picked up a CB seawyrm hatchling from the AP before the biomes. I checked that it was not LiT. it had 700 UVs and 1400 views. I put it in Silvi's to gain a little more before I fogged it until it was ready to grow up. Before going to bed an hour and a half later, I head to my scroll to fog it and find this: http://dragcave.net/lineage/7f49

The views jumped too high too fast for even all the DC fansites. Someone purposefully posted it on a high traffic site. Everything else on my scroll was untouched, including a rare dragon someone had given me. I did keep my scroll hidden for a week and a half just to make sure though.

I've only had a dragon get sick one other time and that was a silver I was trying to force gender for freezing. After the sea pygmy thing, I did have one egg get sick because I wasn't paying attention and added it to two fansites after I had just caught it.

Those two were both my fault, the sea pygmy was not. I don't see how that one could have anything to do with ignorance.

The only site I really use is Yarold's (and have for maybe a year now), I know it's reliable for giving a balanced, low-level stream of views. Because a unique IP can only click to see my scroll (or eggs if I'm click-ERing them) once per day, so I usually end up with a perfect 2:1 or 1:1 v/uv ratio in views. However, I got two cb thunder eggs in trade yesterday, and went to bed with them at a nice average of 100 views to about 30 unique views for each of them (and that was after being up watching them for a couple of hours, while I did my clicks). I get up this morning to find one sick with 2,062 views/642 uv and another heading towards sickness at 1,679 and 587 uv, and they're they'll stay for the next couple of days.

None of my other eggs/ hatchlings were touched, so those two thunders were aimed at. Admittedly, I do have aid turned on, mainly because I'm lazy and if someone wants to ER your eggs if you say you have aid turned off the little warning doesn't stop them anyway. I'd understand someone trying this if they were ER, but they both have over 5 days to go.

I don't think anyone's mentioned yet that the contest winners from Christmas had to have all of their eggs safeguarded from death by overviewing (making them the only dragons that aren't thuweds to have such high views). So the potential for malicious overviewing is a problem, especially when jealousy comes into play.

Of those of you who have been recently viewbombed--what hatching sites do you usually use? I'm starting to wonder if somebody is trolling one of the hatching sites, and if so, whether we can figure out which one it is.

I fogged all my eggs and hatchies last night, and I'm going to get into the habit of fogging them all every time I go to sleep or AFK for any length of time. Most of the day I have the website open and check it at least every couple of hours. -keeps fingers crossed-

To those of you saying "don't get upset, it's only a game"... if we didn't care, we wouldn't be playing the game. And if you're playing any kind of game, it's naturally upsetting when somebody else comes along and kicks over the board and stomps on the pieces. If you don't care if your eggs/hatchies get maliciously viewbombed to death, or you don't care if it happens to somebody else... good for you? Would you like a cookie? Coming onto a thread where people are discussing any problem and saying "haha your problem is stupid you're stupid" is... well. Disingenuous, at best. Instead of going to the effort to let us all know how much you don't care, why don't you save yourself that effort and keep it to yourself? smile.gif

I usually use Allure of Neglected Dragons, and then Silvi's/Eggs Around The World as backup. My Nilia pygmy was in only AoND and possibly Silvi's at the time, which couldn't have gotten the amount of views she did.

I guess the only way to stop people from posting things easily would be for the various sites to require registration, and perhaps require it be a match to the scroll. It would still be possible for someone to viewbomb if they really want to put effort into it though. Might be easier for their to be a Heal bsa to reverse that type of damage if the problem is getting more widespread.

I don't think anyone's mentioned yet that the contest winners from Christmas had to have all of their eggs safeguarded from death by overviewing (making them the only dragons that aren't thuweds to have such high views).  So the potential for malicious overviewing is a problem, especially when jealousy comes into play.

The prize dragons were protected first and foremost because of the fact that there was only a couple dozen of them in existence and it was EXPECTED that EVERYONE would want to rubberneck and gander a peek at them pretty shinies. The potential for jealously and malicious attacks was a secondary issue.

Of those of you who have been recently viewbombed--what hatching sites do you usually use? I'm starting to wonder if somebody is trolling one of the hatching sites, and if so, whether we can figure out which one it is.

The site I primarily use is Daily Dragon Fix. You get among the best UV/OV ratios and a decent number of clicks. More important, it's one of the safest fansites you can use by itself because of how its set up... you can safely post at risk dragons there and they won't get sick and it is impossible to view bomb dragons there.

I occasionally use Eggs Around the World for when i want to rush hatching/maturing times a little bit. I don't like the overall ratios that site provides so I do pay attention when I do happen to have something posted there and remove as needed. Because I do use this site it was the first one I checked when I noticed my stuff getting view bombed despite me not having anything posted on any fansites.. and yes I found my entire scroll was posted on EATW. All anyone needs to do is know your scroll name to post your stuff there it's that easy.

There are a couple of other fansites I use, but only for ER issues like when working on neglected experiments and do need to view bomb at just the right moment.

Edit to add:

For comparison's sake, the number of views that my dragons had gained in the 30-60 minutes of view bombing is what I would have normally collected at the DDF site in a 12-18 hour time period.

Edited by WraithZephyr