lola92

Posting other's eggs

Yeah, but you gotta admit it's a pretty good guess for who would be butthurt enough to kill it. If you have an angryface PM, you do have proof for why, as well. I'm not saying burn them outright. I'm saying keep track of things like this - and if it happens again, it's probably not a coincidence.

On another note, I like your suggestion, but it doesn't quite make sense to me. I'm getting that you want it to stop gaining views for a few hours if it's sick; is that right?

Yeah, but no guarantee, and that's assuming they know who has it. Not everyone has scroll name displayed, or is even a forum member.

I think there at least were BSAs suggested for that - I remember the Cheese one. Something like cheese pong deflects views? I thought it was hilariously terrible. xd.png

Edited by drusharte

Yeah, but no guarantee, and that's assuming they know who has it. Not everyone has scroll name displayed, or is even a forum member.

I think there at least were BSAs suggested for that - I remember the Cheese one. Something like cheese pong deflects views? I thought it was hilariously terrible. xd.png

Ah, but what if I want to be a bit cruelly-nice? Say someone lost a hatchie and it's 3 days until it grows up. They can keep their scroll open for 3 days in hopes that they get PM'd about it being safely returned, but I want to keep it. Wanting to put a stop to this foolishness, I PM them and tell them that I caught it, but I want it. Stupid of me, since it results in them ragefacing and viewbombing it to death, right? I suppose it's my fault for contacting them in the first place, but in my defense, be a faster catcher and they should keep their failcatching fingers away from my scroll. I caught it fair and square; if they dare post my stuff I KNOW they have a grudge against me, and they're probably just laughing because I've now got a tombstone instead of a nice hatchie.

I hate it when people post any of my stuff. The only people with that clearance are close friends (who will ER things for me) and siblings (Who are close enough for me to bite if anything happens), neither of which can viewbomb things to death with 10k views. Something to prevent sickness in obvious cases like this would be nice, but it happens too often for me to be happy.

The cheese thing sounds delicious and awesome. If there was ever anything to prevent viewbombing death, I shall be first in line to get it. happy.gif

Edited by Xylene

Wow, I really feel for lola92! Thats just awful. I have been here a pretty long time and have made a point of NOT helping when the message says no help. If the offspring are from one of my crosses and they accept aid I do try to help out when I can keep an eye on things. If I can't be around then I stay out of it. I figure that is a fair way to handle it. (And I am assuming that those with no help messages have projects going or something like that...)

Cheese... pong? o.O

As is evidenced by all the quibblings of everyone, such a system of punishment is nigh impossible due to proof ^^ It's a nice "what if" to think about, that's all >:3

Burning is extreme but... (if there is a way to prove someone did view-bomb an egg) if they are repeat offenders then I would say scroll-burning would be ok. I mean, if someone goes after others eggs repeatedly should be kicked from DC. Its not fair to other players have some random person going around and view-bombing eggs. :|

Ah, but what if I want to be a bit cruelly-nice? Say someone lost a hatchie and it's 3 days until it grows up. They can keep their scroll open for 3 days in hopes that they get PM'd about it being safely returned, but I want to keep it. Wanting to put a stop to this foolishness, I PM them and tell them that I caught it, but I want it. Stupid of me, since it results in them ragefacing and viewbombing it to death, right? I suppose it's my fault for contacting them in the first place, but in my defense, be a faster catcher and they should keep their failcatching fingers away from my scroll. I caught it fair and square; if they dare post my stuff I KNOW they have a grudge against me, and they're probably just laughing because I've now got a tombstone instead of a nice hatchie.

I hate it when people post any of my stuff. The only people with that clearance are close friends (who will ER things for me) and siblings (Who are close enough for me to bite if anything happens), neither of which can viewbomb things to death with 10k views. Something to prevent sickness in obvious cases like this would be nice, but it happens too often for me to be happy.

The cheese thing sounds delicious and awesome. If there was ever anything to prevent viewbombing death, I shall be first in line to get it. happy.gif

The one counter I have to that argument is fogging - if at any one given time I feel my eggs and hatchies require it, I fog them. So if you are aware that there is a chance of danger of any kind, and you don't take that step to protect your egg or hatchling, then part of the blame for a dead baby dragon also falls to you as the owner - you could have protected it, but you, for whatever reason, did not.

I do understand the 'I caught it first, mine now,' argument, but personally, if it was bespoke, I would make an effort to return it to the intended recipient. I mean, it's not a once-off chance - there's nothing to say that further down the line I couldn't get lucky and manage to yoink a CB silver, or a Magma. wink.gif

That and Whites had a suggested Heal BSA if I remember correctly. But yeah. All hail the cheese pong! \o/

Another thing that would probably save an egg if someone's trying to 'help' it or 'hurt' it, is don't make your scroll name visible or link it in your sig.

The one counter I have to that argument is fogging - if at any one given time I feel my eggs and hatchies require it, I fog them. So if you are aware that there is a chance of danger of any kind, and you don't take that step to protect your egg or hatchling, then part of the blame for a dead baby dragon also falls to you as the owner - you could have protected it, but you, for whatever reason, did not.

I do understand the 'I caught it first, mine now,' argument, but personally, if it was bespoke, I would make an effort to return it to the intended recipient. I mean, it's not a once-off chance - there's nothing to say that further down the line I couldn't get lucky and manage to yoink a CB silver, or a Magma. wink.gif

That and Whites had a suggested Heal BSA if I remember correctly. But yeah. All hail the cheese pong! \o/

Yeah... but people can be so two-faced at times! "Oh, you wanted to keep it? Are you sure? I really wanted it too. Well, you did catch it fair and square. But it would have been my first (ND, Gold, Silver, Trio, etc). Oh, and I needed it for a project. Okay. Okay, fine. You can keep it. I'll just get another later." You think nothing will happen, and then surprise! Dead egg. Um. Hm. I'd personally be a loathe to hide and fog things whenever I catch an LiT, especially if someone gives me the okay to keep it. It's like a slap in the face - You said I could keep it, but I don't trust you not to viewbomb it to death. Yeah, the paranoia sometimes pays off... but still, some people can just be so disarmingly convincing. Even I could be, although I haven't gone so far as to viewbomb something to death (yet. biggrin.gif).

Usually I'd return something, too... but if it's a 2nd-gen holly, or a pretty ND, or even a CB silver... I might want to be a greedy hoarder. I probably won't have time to get those later, and I can argue that it was hard to catch it from the AP.

We're going a bit off-topic, I think. I guess helping something to hatch/live seems fine, especially if it's low-time/ER and has 'accepting aid' on (Don't you wish you could set it for each individual hatchling/egg on your scroll, though? What if it's an experiment?). Viewbombing something to death, obviously maliciously? Grounds for suspicion, but ultimately, they'll probably get away with it. :C

Burning is extreme but... (if there is a way to prove someone did view-bomb an egg) if they are repeat offenders then I would say scroll-burning would be ok. I mean, if someone goes after others eggs repeatedly should be kicked from DC. Its not fair to other players have some random person going around and view-bombing eggs. :|

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, Athy but don't you think if someone gets their scroll burned for view bombing that to get even they just might pick up the pace and view bomb all the more since they now have absolutely nothing left to lose? If they are vindictive enough to purposely kill an egg or hatchie kicking them from the site will give them more reason to do so. ....just a thought.

Yeah... but people can be so two-faced at times! "Oh, you wanted to keep it? Are you sure? I really wanted it too. Well, you did catch it fair and square. But it would have been my first (ND, Gold, Silver, Trio, etc). Oh, and I needed it for a project. Okay. Okay, fine. You can keep it. I'll just get another later." You think nothing will happen, and then surprise! Dead egg. Um. Hm. I'd personally be a loathe to hide and fog things whenever I catch an LiT, especially if someone gives me the okay to keep it. It's like a slap in the face - You said I could keep it, but I don't trust you not to viewbomb it to death. Yeah, the paranoia sometimes pays off... but still, some people can just be so disarmingly convincing. Even I could be, although I haven't gone so far as to viewbomb something to death (yet. biggrin.gif).

Usually I'd return something, too... but if it's a 2nd-gen holly, or a pretty ND, or even a CB silver... I might want to be a greedy hoarder. I probably won't have time to get those later, and I can argue that it was hard to catch it from the AP.

We're going a bit off-topic, I think. I guess helping something to hatch/live seems fine, especially if it's low-time/ER and has 'accepting aid' on (Don't you wish you could set it for each individual hatchling/egg on your scroll, though? What if it's an experiment?). Viewbombing something to death, obviously maliciously? Grounds for suspicion, but ultimately, they'll probably get away with it. :C

I know - which usually is my onus for at least offering to return it smile.gif

And paranoid or apparent lack of trust or no... I'd still fog it. I don't think it would be that much a slap in the face unless the other party already had designs for that egg(poor egg! what did you ever do...)

... uguu okay now you've got me with the ND. But I'd still have to return it. I'd never stop feeling bad otherwise.

Okay yes we are fantastically derailed. Burn scroll? Nope. I think dead eggs are indeed part of the risk element in DC, and TJ has provided the fog ability for a reason, whatever that turns out to be. It is there, use and abuse it.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, Athy but don't you think if someone gets their scroll burned for view bombing that to get even they just might pick up the pace and view bomb all the more since they now have absolutely nothing left to lose? If they are vindictive enough to purposely kill an egg or hatchie kicking them from the site will give them more reason to do so. ....just a thought.

I know - which usually is my onus for at least offering to return it smile.gif

And paranoid or apparent lack of trust or no... I'd still fog it. I don't think it would be that much a slap in the face unless the other party already had designs for that egg(poor egg! what did you ever do...)

... uguu okay now you've got me with the ND. But I'd still have to return it. I'd never stop feeling bad otherwise.

Okay yes we are fantastically derailed. Burn scroll? Nope. I think dead eggs are indeed part of the risk element in DC, and TJ has provided the fog ability for a reason, whatever that turns out to be. It is there, use and abuse it.

But are we suggesting that we let people get away with viewbombing others' dragons? Geez. If TJ and the mods thought that way, I think there would be more people lashing back at whoever they think viewbombed their stuff. The higher-ups aren't gonna do anything about it; obviously you'd have to take matters into your own hands.

Actually, perhaps viewbombing a viewbomber's stuff to death multiple times would fix things. They get a taste of their own bitter medicine and they will always have something to lose. (I'm sort of kidding here. Sort of.)

I did like the idea about fansites recording who added something to the database. Unfortunately, how would that work? IP? People could argue it was a sibling. Sign up with the same username on DC? People could fake it. We're running in circles here, and all we can agree is that people can be losers attacking eachother's eggs.

Somehow I would think that if a viewbomber got view bombed they would probably just keep their eggs fogged. Maybe they wouldn't be that smart but... If you could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt then sure, you can have some sort of punishment but I just don't see that stopping anyone. Punishment isn't a really reliable method of behavior modification in real world situations and on the internet it's even less likely to have an effect.

The only real thing that can be done is to keep an eye on your stuff. If it's something that is rare and you fear might get attacked, fog it. Don't put a link to your scroll in your sig and don't use the same forum name as you do scroll name.

To me, it's not worth getting worked up over. I know a number of people who fog whenever they are away from their computer because they have been attacked in the past. I feel bad for their loss and I know how much time and effort you can put into the game but in the end it is just a game. I actually tend to pity the person who has to "kill" pixels to make themselves feel important. I can't imagine having that low of a self esteem and feel that must be worse then any punishment that could ever be inflicted upon them.

But are we suggesting that we let people get away with viewbombing others' dragons? Geez. If TJ and the mods thought that way, I think there would be more people lashing back at whoever they think viewbombed their stuff. The higher-ups aren't gonna do anything about it; obviously you'd have to take matters into your own hands.

Actually, perhaps viewbombing a viewbomber's stuff to death multiple times would fix things. They get a taste of their own bitter medicine and they will always have something to lose. (I'm sort of kidding here. Sort of.)

I did like the idea about fansites recording who added something to the database. Unfortunately, how would that work? IP? People could argue it was a sibling. Sign up with the same username on DC? People could fake it. We're running in circles here, and all we can agree is that people can be losers attacking eachother's eggs.

I think the argument is,

i) viewbombing is crap and evil and makes many people sad, don't do it

ii) you have tools at the moment that can be used to avoid or at least deflect viewbombing, use them

iii) there are grounds for implementing a penalty on people who viewbomb, but finding out who did what where is not going to be easy and could potentially strain the mods and/or system. I mean, as far as I can make out, finding out who is a big long mchuge chase of backtracking to where the views were coming from, pinpointing a source, and backtracking further to who or what IP address plugged the egg code in. And even then it's not a surefire method of finding out who exactly did that. Suppose the IP address isn't allocated to a username already in the DC database? It's not impossible that someone could make use of say, school computers, or be in an internet cafe, or a library, or the local Starbucks planning revenge for eggs lost, as extreme as it sounds. And supposing, after all that, you do find out who, can you prove malicious intent?

iv) going back to the first point, there are means and measures in place that can help counter viewbombing, and there are potentially more to come. Just... use them? ;o;

Ultimately, losing eggs and hatchlings to things like this is sucky, but you know, I'd rather pull up my knickers and get on with it.

Another thing that would probably save an egg if someone's trying to 'help' it or 'hurt' it, is don't make your scroll name visible or link it in your sig.

Thing is, an angry and vindictive person who lost out knows the egg/hatchie code, and will add it to fan sites just to be nasty... I think the time it happened to me was when I'd caught something advertised in the departures thread soon before I went to bed, and someone else - didn't - so bombed all the four eggs I had that one night in a fit of jealousy. sad.gif

Sir Barton is right though - sometimes a penalty can make people act even worse. Like that wonderful scene in Life of Brian:

Worse ? Worse ? How can it get any worse ? Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah !
xd.png

I think the only thing we CAN do us use fog creatively. We are each responsible for our own scrolls.

*pulls up knickers and goes forth to clear some gravel...*

Edited by fuzzbucket

When I'm very bored, I look through the offspring of my dragons to see how the newest are doing.

If I see that an egg or hatchling is an ER and obviously not left on the scroll to rot (having gained views, only just not enough), and the person has help put on, I'll go and save the little thing.

If they have help turned off, I usually don't do anything and just hope they're what I think of as "ER-raisers", though I'm severely tempted to help. I know that some people do it in such cases, not out of malice but because they sincerely want to help someone not loose their egg/hatchling. Therefore burning scrolls immediately sounds a bit too drastic for me.

I'd never ever view bomb an egg or hatchling, though, even if it was the third Magma egg in a row that was snatched while gifting (yup, that really happened to me - three Magmas snatched withing 30 minutes).

After all, this is just a game, and no matter what is snatched, it isn't exactly impossible to get again usually. smile.gif

Edited by Tiuvelin

Well... What if somebody who is newbie will pick my offsprings in AP and won't ER them/forget about them? I don't want my dragons' babies to die. sad.gif Or he/she will make ND experiments.

Edited by suane_lightfurr

Well... What if somebody who is newbie will pick my offsprings in AP and won't ER them/forget about them? I don't want my dragons' babies to die. sad.gif Or he/she will make ND experiments.

If you don't want to risk them dying from too few views, not dropping them in the first place is the best way to prevent that. Once it's off your scroll, it's not your egg anymore, and not yours to post (unless the new owner is accepting aid) -- which is kind of part of the point of this thread, I think?

If you drop an egg or a hatchie you have NO RIGHTS AT ALL over what happens to it. Unless the new owner accepts help, it is against the rules even to ER them if they seem to be at risk.

The owner of eggs and hatchies has the right to play whatever way they like - which includes incompetently or in a way you see as unkind.

no it died... so i'm left with the very ugly tomb stone on my scroll for 2 weeks...

lol I bet it wasn't meant as "helping" he or she was aiming to kill your dragon for sure.

Yea I really hate that so much that I have to fog my eggs, especially like when I am planning to not put an egg in an er so I can breed one more egg or something and I come back the other day to find it a hatchling, those who get their nose in others stuff.. there has to be something that can be done about it.. but oh well.

The only time I might help an egg - one I abandoned or not- the owner is accepting help.

I have a friend who does have a problem where someone keeps posting her eggs/hatchlings somewhere causing them to often get sick. She has over two hundred adult dragons and needs no help and does not have the help sign on. Still she is assisted by someone.

Wrong as it is for others to viewbomb eggs it happens. I think scroll burning would be a harsh punishment for someone who is doing such a thing and it was known they could. Perhaps if they could not catch/breed eggs for a period of one or two weeks - if such a thing can be implimented would be a good punishment.

However, since it would be almost impossible to find the perpetrator the best any of us can do is watch our dragons and fog them when and where necessary to protect them.

I think, burning people's scrolls is a too severe measure for ounishment. I myself saved some of my abandoned offspring by adding them to hatcheries, but only in case if:

1) the owner is accepting aid. and if so I'll still not post babies until they are ER so that they don't get sick.

2) if the owner is not accepting aid I still may sometimes save eggs. I usually look at the whole scroll. if there are already dead eggs on the scroll that died because they didn't get enough views during 7 days and if the stats say it is not the ND experiment, in other words if it is clearly seen the owner has forgotten about his scroll/has no access to internets, I will add the babies (again only if they are ER). yes, I DO understand that when I abandon an egg it's not my business anymore but if I am completely sure that saving it will do good and the owner would be grateful for it, I'll do it.

when someone is accepting aid yea sure adding er hatchies to an er can be harmless helpfulness

but posting a 6 day hatchling and having the views rank up over 10k in 6 hours while the owner is sleeping is wrong....

I'll just echo what some people have said... it is nearly impossible to pinpoint the culprit. Even if they threaten you directly (you can get them for harassment then, but...), you'll never be 100% sure it was indeed them. It could be -anyone-, really.

Hypothetical example. Someone's trading a CB Gold. You, AP hunting, catch it. They report it LiT, but you don't return it. It gets viewbombed and dies.

You swear horrible vengeance upon the original receiver and/or sender, blaming them for it! But it wasn't them at all. It was some vindictive AP catcher, completely unrelated, who ALSO saw it fly by on the AP and didn't catch it, and checked and saw that what he missed was a CB Gold and got all green in the face.

The original receiver and sender, who did NOTHING, get punished. You are still disgruntled over the dead egg, as it doesn't come back despite the punishment. The actual bomber sits at his keyboard and laughs at you all in the aftermath.

Long story short? Can't punish, not because of lack of drive to, but because you'd literally be punishing at -complete random- based on a guess that may or may not be right.

Use Fog to protect anything valuable on your scroll when you can't watch over it. Pray for the protective version of the Heal BSA if you really can't stand using Fog. smile.gif

I agree that it's probably dang near impossible to know for sure who the culprit is in these cases, and I also doubt that TJ would ever seriously pursue some intense feature just to make it easier to find out.

However! I think that "not knowing better" is no excuse at all. I've seen a few posts like this in this thread, that scroll-burning is too harsh because maybe the person just doesn't know better... That's crap. It says right there on the egg's page: "(Please note that it is against the site rules to give aid to a user without their permission.)" There is no possible way to open an egg's page and stay on that page long enough to decide to "help" it, and not see that notice.

I also don't think it's a valid excuse to say that some people don't read the ToS. Ever heard "ignorance of the law is no excuse"? Yeah. You sign up for a website, you read the rules. If you don't read the rules, you are taking that risk. If you break the rules because you didn't *read* the rules... That's your own dang fault.

And no, I'm not bitter about someone view-spaming my eggs. It's only happened to me once, and I had this opinion long before that. I just get really pissy when someone willfully ignores the rules, and then whines that a punishment is too harsh, they were only trying to help, etc etc.

I wish that people who viewbombed other people's eggs could be punished severely. Unfortunately, as many others have said, it's not really practical.

As it is, I just fog the eggs I really care about whenever I can't watch them like a hawk.