lola92

Posting other's eggs

I don't think anyone's mentioned yet that the contest winners from Christmas had to have all of their eggs safeguarded from death by overviewing (making them the only dragons that aren't thuweds to have such high views). So the potential for malicious overviewing is a problem, especially when jealousy comes into play.

That's . . . not quite my take on it. Those eggs were safeguarded not because of jealousy or malicious over viewing, but because people are curious and want to see shiny new dragons. I think it was nice of TJ to provide a way for the curious to look their fill without harming the dragons.

My only view bomb scare turned out to be my own fault for not understanding that Sunset/Sunrise eggs could only hatch between the hours of 12 and 6. I felt so sheepish about it. That said, I've seen enough posts about view bombing that I'm paranoid enough to safeguard any rare or holiday I get by keeping it fogged most of the time. As annoying as having to fog is, I find it much less annoying than having to go through a registration process for view sites, so I'll take the lesser of two evils.

The only time I've seen my eggs get posted onto sites that I didn't add them too, was when they were traded/gifted to me. And if I grabbed off of the AP

I think part of the reason people do post eggs that don't belong to them is because their the descendants of their dragons and they don't want to see them die. I admit, I've done this with a couple eggs that were less then 1 day.

Other then that there's no real way to know WHO is posting your eggs/hatchlings.

I've been view-bombed a few times, but was fortunate enough to not have any casualties.

Initially, I had it happen in 2009 when there was sporadic rashes of it. In those cases, entire scrolls were view-bombed at a time of various people. We had a thread going then to try to figure out what the commonality between us all was, but there didn't seem to be one other than we all posted occasionally in the Forum.

I had it happen again, this time on a single egg, in April. I caught this before it died, but a friend of mine had not been so lucky a few months prior. Someone managed to view-bomb her scroll and kill the eggs within 5 hours.

While it is easy to bomb eggs and hatchies using multiple fansites, it's even easier to do it by posting them in a signature of a high-traffic site like Neopets, which has happened in the past.

If there were a sure-fire way to identify the culprits in view-bombing cases, I would definitely like to see some sort of punishment meted out, but only if malicious intent were proven. Generalized stupidity, while annoying, shouldn't be a hanging offense.

@Goslander: psst...you have it backwards. They hatch between 6 and 12. wink.gif

@Goslander: psst...you have it backwards. They hatch between 6 and 12. wink.gif

Oops, that's what I meant. It's probably a good thing I don't tend to collect them, with all the mistakes I keep making about them. tongue.gif

Edited by Goslander

wow i remember the exact same thing happening last christmas and people telling me to "get over it" sleep.gif

i have to wonder though, how is it that you can suspect certain people of specifically targetting your scroll? sure you can see a view spike and suspect that *a* person attacked your scroll but how can you suspect a specific person without proof? other than the fact that you dont like them or they dont like you?

another user brought up a good point about how someone could have viewed your hatchling or egg on one of those hatcheries so i dont think just checking IPs would be good enough for a ban.

wow i remember the exact same thing happening last christmas and people telling me to "get over it" sleep.gif

i have to wonder though, how is it that you can suspect certain people of specifically targetting your scroll? sure you can see a view spike and suspect that *a* person attacked your scroll but how can you suspect a specific person without proof? other than the fact that you dont like them or they dont like you?

another user brought up a good point about how someone could have viewed your hatchling or egg on one of those hatcheries so i dont think just checking IPs would be good enough for a ban.

Christmas time (and valentines day) tends to be a "get over it" incident because it is not a malicious view bombing attack.. it is a "oh look at all the new shinies" posted all over the place by people who don't understand that traffic levels SPIKE on fansites at that time of year and that there are far more people than usual viewing the new shinies. It's always happened. People who have never experienced a holiday release don't know that they should NOT post their new Christmas shinies all over the usual fan sites until after 1-2 days have passed. So because of the unexpected spike in views they do not normally associate with their fansites, they assume people are attacking their eggs.

As for how I can asertain someone attacked my scroll... let's see... I pick up a CB black from the cave... when I view the egg I just caught I can see 2 views registered.. one obviously mine and one from who ever else had tried to grab the egg but failed and then they switched the get code to the view code to see the egg themselves and thereby register their view. Not unusual for people to want to look at their fail cave catches.

However, I did NOT post that black egg anywhere (was going to wait a day before posting), but yet less than an hour after catching the egg it had suddenly gained far more views than it should have normally gotten in an 12-18 hour period had I actually posted it on my primary fansite I use. Additionally all the other eggs and hatchlings on my scroll that were NOT posted anywhere were also seeing these high spikes of sudden unexplained views. Now tell me that was not a revenge attack because someone failed to be a little faster at catching a CB black. How did my entire scroll get posted on at least one known fansite (possibly more) if I did not have my dragons posted anywhere. This was not a case of a single egg's code possibly getting mixed up with someone else's similar code. This was full on my entire scroll. When viewing the CB fail catch, the person had my scroll name right there in front of them. Very easy to just pop it into fansites and add all the dragons to it.

I think it largely depends on the individual case. With my pygmy, I had my suspicions because of what my pygmy is called, and what the future mate of my pygmy is called. It also came during a time of turblance between me and my suspect.

However, even if it were whom I suspect it was, I'd never wish a scroll burning on them. Some people are petty, it would be lowering myself to their level to want to do such a thing.

Christmas time (and valentines day) tends to be a "get over it" incident because it is not a malicious view bombing attack.. it is a "oh look at all the new shinies" posted all over the place by people who don't understand that traffic levels SPIKE on fansites at that time of year and that there are far more people than usual viewing the new shinies. It's always happened. People who have never experienced a holiday release don't know that they should NOT post their new Christmas shinies all over the usual fan sites until after 1-2 days have passed. So because of the unexpected spike in views they do not normally associate with their fansites, they assume people are attacking their eggs.

There were people who did not post their eggs anywhere and still woke up the next day to find them dead...

As for your black egg, did you post it on Silvi's? Silvi's was having some viewbombing issues and I believed a mod took a look into it. My sea pygmy was also on that site and so it it seemed many others that got view bombed.

As for your black egg, did you post it on Silvi's? Silvi's was having some viewbombing issues and I believed a mod took a look into it. My sea pygmy was also on that site and so it it seemed many others that got view bombed.

None of my dragons were posted on any fansite at the time of the view bombing. The bombing of my entire scroll happened right after I caught the CB black from the cave.