Saartje

Lineage Advice

1. For certain Rares (Shimmer/Tinsel, Hollies, etc.), lower gens are worth more so I don't get very excited about anything above 6th gen (for some people that number is much lower). For more common breed stair & spiral lineages, generation doesn't matter as much to me, providing it fits on the lineage page (12 generations I think?). In fact higher gen stairs and spirals that have been bred with care have their own attraction, because you can tell how much time and effort they took to create. Also, high-gen stairs and spirals are usually much easier to continue when compared to similar-gen evens.

2. The lineages you are talking about like this Silver, are sometimes called a two-step (or more) spiral, or a wave lineage. I have this Gold wave as well, where the breed that acts as the stair base alternates with the stair direction. It's actually very interesting, I love unique lineages like that.

There are also arrow and reverse-arrow lineages as well, like this and this. They fall broadly into the stair-ish category, but are not very easy to continue.

You can even do a stair lineage like this (sometimes called a doublestep, hyperstair). The only limit is your imagination!

I'm sure you will be able to find plenty of kind people willing to help with advice or breeding for your future lineage projects. Please show us what lovely ideas you come up with. smile.gif

Wow! Thanks so much for these! I've bookmarked each one to look back at when working on these. Definitely, it's going to take some time for me to work on these, but it's going to be a lot of fun!

- and what non-holiday dragon would match the Maroon color of the alt?  (i was thinking a 2G Brown Copper froma Heartseeker  unsure.gif)

Oooh, that's a tough one. Nothing really matches it, huh. Perhaps a tan ridgewing might look good. Or go with a purple dorsal. Other than that, brown copper is the only other thing that might match. I kinda wanna suggest trihorns, but the colors are all wrong. Something brown-toned might be okay, but the brown colored dragons we have are more bright than the heart alt. o.o

1. When you get a dragon from a stairstep or spiral lineage, exactly how many generations would you like to see in that lineage, and when does the lineage become too long for your taste? What's the best generation to stop at?

I love to find things in the AP that take work or some thought. Stairs and spirals are really pretty easy to build, so if I'm going to keep a stair or spiral, it's going to be one impressively long (such as the 20+ gen magis someone breeds). I think people more worry about length with even gens, because it's easier to find a mate for a stair or spiral. Just pick up a cb (or create a reverse/arrowhead). =p

2. How about this - I see some lineages that are stairsteps, but what if the breed of dragon at the end is not a fail, but the wrong gender, so the breeder decides to continue that same lineage in the opposite stairstep pattern... meaning same exact dragons, same style, but the lineage stairstep would form a V shape, going down on one end, and up on the other, or the other way around, making a part of a W pattern. Would that lineage line up be interesting for any of you?

Do you mean reverse/arrowheads? I love them, as do many others. Mates may be a little more work to find, though. I've picked up a few that are just one gen off from each other, lol.

However, if you keep an eye on the Great Lineages Found in the AP thread, a lot of us pick up things we might never get mates for if we see they're so pretty. And I have so many dragons by now, I certainly don't breed them all, not even all the 'non-messy' lineaged ones. x3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

i was super lucky to catch this lovely lady in the AP this past year.

so now i'm wanting to get a Heartseeker mate for valentines day for Lady (if TJ does away with the limits) and a non-holiday mate as well.

my problem is, i lack CB Marrows.  so i have two questions

- what dragon should i pair my Heartseeker with to complement the Marrows  (really though i'd love to just trade for a 2G Heartseeker from a Marrow)

- and what non-holiday dragon would match the Maroon color of the alt?  (i was thinking a 2G Brown Copper froma Heartseeker  unsure.gif)

I think Lurkers would probably complement the color scheme of the alt, but....

I'm pretty sure I can come up with a marrow x heartseeker for you if you want, just PM me! biggrin.gif

Edited by Tawanda001

I just picked up this beauty from the AP.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/ZXuIP

Obviously, he's the endgame and probably shouldn't be mated with any other. But this design for the lineage is what I'm looking to recreate with different breeds.

My question for everyone is which dragons do you think would look especially pretty together in this kind of pattern?

I would do similar colors and keeping one of breed (that doesn't differ in color like tinsels or nebs) for each side the same.

Instead of tinsels do whatever and then keep the cbs as the same breed. Maybe do all green breeds or do other breeds that may look good together (for example, pinks and albinos are very pretty together). Or if you're going to use a breed with different colors in the dimorphism like hellfires or nebs, you should use that breed in both lines before combining them.

Perhaps the always bred breed could be a pink and then the cb in one line an albino and the cb in another a gray. Although, it might look better to keep a pattern with dimorphic and non-dimorphic breeds. Like the bred breed has no dimorphism but the cb breeds both do (or neither do).

Kinda blanking on dragons that look good together when it's not just two dragons, sorry. 3x

EDIT: Ooh, just saw a lineage someone else did with embers, red nebs, and male hellfires. It was gorgeous.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I just picked up this beauty from the AP.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/ZXuIP

Obviously, he's the endgame and probably shouldn't be mated with any other. But this design for the lineage is what I'm looking to recreate with different breeds.

My question for everyone is which dragons do you think would look especially pretty together in this kind of pattern?

You could swap the breeds, nebulas and gw on the inside with tinsels on the outside. Of course since that would be difficult to do I would just hunt the AP for sonething with a similar pattrtn, lits of things would look good with it and who knows you might be surprised by a pairing

Guys, could someone please post examples of finished rainbow lineages? Because I uh, I'm stuck with red -> orange transition.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/pthze

I'm not sure if I should risk and try a Magi now, or wait until an orange-red dragon is released. I can't find anything fitting at the moment.

Guys, could someone please post examples of finished rainbow lineages? Because I uh, I'm stuck with red -> orange transition.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/pthze

I'm not sure if I should risk and try a Magi now, or wait until an orange-red dragon is released. I can't find anything fitting at the moment.

Magma, maybe, then Magi?

Maybe a sunstone?

Nah, I think the magma does look better....

Edited by Tawanda001

Hello, I received a very pretty Tinsel that has a stair lineage which alternates between Moonstone and Valentine '09, but I don't have any Valentine '09 dragons as CB. What other dragon would look nice as a replacement? Would Arsani look ok?

prpldrgnfr, Tawanda001 - yeah, I also think Sunstone should work. Magma would probably be fine too, but the black plates make it quite dark. Thanks guys<3

I was looking at my Vals and realized that my boy here is EG, BUT I have no idea what to look for in a mate for him; mirroring the Silver side should work well enough, but I don't know what would work well with the pink side of things (it needs to produce a pink-colored female dragon, mind). Thoughts?

Any ideas on what I can do with this guy? I bred the two parents with stair lineages into an arrow (a bit uneven but that's ok). Now I was thinking maybe start a spiral with a CB mate? Or breed him another "arrow" mate (from totally different parents, obviously)?

@Guillotine - I think I would probably just use a PB Pink. There aren't really many good pink alternatives. I have used Sunrise as pinks in some lineages, but I think they are way too dark for this one. Or you could go with Sweetling x Pink and just end with a Pink instead of the Sweetling.

@gilraen - In my opinion another arrow would look much better than introducing a CB mate. I would probably try to mirror the length of the arrow sides, so it looks more balanced.

Edited by purplehaze

As I was looking through lineage threads for the Valentine event, I saw a beautiful "double ring" lineage that, I believe, was 2 stairsteps that were joined/stopped at the 5th or 6th gen that each made a circle but they were interlinked with each other. I have gone back to several breeding threads and cannot find the pattern again. I can't guarantee it was a Valentine based lineage, but I'm sure one of the breeds was an Autumn. It was quite striking and I would appreciate any help if someone recognizes that specific lineage pattern or if someone has an example of the "double ring" pattern, I would greatly appreciate it so I can replicate the idea. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

UPDATE: I did finally find an example of a single "Circle" or "Diamond" design as I folks are calling it. But I haven't found the double version yet. Making progress!

Edited by PrairieStead

As I was looking through lineage threads for the Valentine event, I saw a beautiful "double ring" lineage that, I believe, was 2 stairsteps that were joined/stopped at the 5th or 6th gen that each made a circle but they were interlinked with each other. I have gone back to several breeding threads and cannot find the pattern again. I can't guarantee it was a Valentine based lineage, but I'm sure one of the breeds was an Autumn. It was quite striking and I would appreciate any help if someone recognizes that specific lineage pattern or if someone has an example of the "double ring" pattern, I would greatly appreciate it so I can replicate the idea. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

This idea sounds really intricate and I'd love to see it. I do hope you can find an example of it.

All right. So now that Valentine's collecting is over, I've come up with a lineage project that will help me out with two other goals I need to work on - collecting mages for gifting/trading, and collecting lots of goldfish to get my magikarp badge faster. xd.png

My project is this - I'm going to do an even gen with 16 CBs - 8 male water dragons and 8 female mages. I've already tried to breed two and ended up with another mage egg, but that isn't what I have in mind.

My idea is to have the entire even gen base as the water/mages and ALL of the offspring as the goldfish. Everything would be PB goldfish from there on out for about 12 generations, or however far I can carry it out without going past the first page.

Has anyone seen this kind of pattern with these particular breeds before? I'd like to do this with all of the crossbreeds, with all CB parents as the even gen baseline. If anyone decides they'd like a dragon from this line, during or after my project, just let me know.

Any ideas on how I should continue this lineage?

I know female Moonstone would be a good option, but I kinda find that a dead end since I don't have any CB Shadow Walkers.

Hey everyone! I'm looking to start my first breeding project and need some help! I want to do what I believe is referred to as a "mirror" to this guy: http://dragcave.net/lineage/XdFD8

I don't have a Tinsel, so I was thinking of using Luminas or Golden Wyverns, just to keep the white/yellow/gold color theme. What I'd like to have is another line of white Stripes as the bottom row, so please tell me if I've got this right: the first pair would have to be a female CB white Stripe and a male CB Lumina/Wyvern, because the males show up on top, right? The resulting offspring would need to be a male Lumina/Wyvern, who is then bred to a female CB white Stripe, with their offspring needing to be a male Lumina/Wyvern, who is then bred to a female CB Stripe, etc., etc. Do I have that right??

Kasumi - Beautiful lineage on your Sweetling! There's a few things you can do. You could just continue the lineage from there by stair-stepping it with another black dragon or maybe a sunsong if you wanted the lineage to alternate between the breeds. The other thing you might consider is a mirror with female pink/male sunsong to the 3rd generation, breed that with a male black, and use the resulting pink as a mate for your sweet. The resulting lineage would be This shape but obviously a little more color coordinated since you'd be using closer matching colors and breeds within the checker set-up.

LadyFoxfire - I've heard of people trying for that, but haven't seen the results. Sounds like an awesome project. Good luck!

TangiestIllicitness - Yup, the males are on top. You've got the concept down perfect, that's exactly how it's done.

Any ideas on how I should continue this lineage?

I know female Moonstone would be a good option, but I kinda find that a dead end since I don't have any CB Shadow Walkers.

If you don't mind commons taking over, a moonstone could breed with a white and keep similar colors going there. Then continue the existing pattern you have for as many generations as you're inclined? You could always hope to catch more shadow walkers this year's Halloween that have some kind of similar colors in their lines to put them together.

I really wanna do a lineage with olives. I prefer the female sprite, so I was thinking of doing a checker, but I can't find any pairs I'm really fond of.

Sunsongs might be interesting color-wise: http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/Lineage.ph...ate=jgcSt&style[bg]=y

Or maybe BBWs: http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/Lineage.ph...ate=jgcSt&style[bg]=y

Speckle throats aren't too bad: http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/Lineage.ph...ate=jgcSt&style[bg]=y

Perhaps teimarrs for pose: http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/Lineage.ph...ate=jgcSt&style[bg]=y

Maybe a mint just for size: http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/Lineage.ph...ate=jgcSt&style[bg]=y

Any suggestions?

@Sock - I was surprised how much I like it with the Mint. The Speckle Throats are good, too.

How about maybe a Sunstone?

Or maybe a Harvest?

Edited by purplehaze