toxicneon

Game of Thrones

How many seasons are out now? Anyone know? I can always look it up myself, I suppose, I'm just lazeh.

We are currently on the fifth season.

Ah, ok. I am currently in the middle of the 3rd season watching it. Also reading the fourth book. Totally obsessed! Wished there were more people to discuss it with meh. smile.gif

I hope Sansa kills Ramsay soon after the humiliation at their ~wedding night~, didn't read the books so I don't know what will happen. xd.png

I still haven't read the fifth book, but it seems that they've changed enough of the plot that knowing what happens in the books might not be much help.

As for the show, I've watched all the episodes that have been shown so far. I've seen the trailer for the next episode and it looks great, although trailers usually make things seem much more interesting than they actually are.

To me, the book series is the real thing and the tv show is someone's adaptation of George Martin's world. Right now I just started reading A Dance with Dragons (5th book) and just started watching the 4th season, which seems to be a continuation of A Storm of Swords (3rd book). For the most part they're still pretty close on track with the books, but I have heard the show really starts to deviate in the 4th season, particularly with Sansa, I guess? I'm a hurrying, trying to catch up to the current season, haha.

So I watched the first season this weekend.... And I'm hooked.

Will be able to watch the second and third next weekend. That is if the downloads finish in time

Wish I could read the books... but my country is a bit expensive with imports dry.gif

I've now finished all five books that are currently out there, finished season 4, and have watched the first four episodes of season 5. Seriously cannot wait for Winds of Winter, the 6th book in the series! Hate hate hate that cliffhanger with Jon Snow! mad.gif

As of S5 ep 9 Stannis Baratheon just went from fan favorite to most hated character so fast I'm actually kind of impressed

i'm about this |-| close to to quitting the show tbh

having read the books, my main fear when HBO started running out of book material for character arcs was that they would either spoil the up coming books (ie:" Martin tells em so & so dies this way and HBO follows suit). i'm glad that this isn't the case (as majority of the big changes they've made are out of the realm of possibility right now for the books.

but ... the main changes that HBO has made, make absolutely no fricking sense in terms of plot development and just come off as "we're trying to get that 'Red Wedding' wow factor" dry.gif

book spoilers below. tbh the show is caught up with all but 4 main character arcs by now and i dont intend on touching on them. if you're that bent out of shape about not having read the books by now, then pick up the flamming books and stop being lazy. the books have been out for a few years (some for over a decade) and your watching a show based on them. if you're truly worried about being spoiled on the books, then stop watching the show, cause its spoiling 98% of the book content for you. cant order the books through the interenet or go to the library to check them out, go to you tube and type in "audio book - game of thrones" .... you're welcome internet. you can actually find A LOT of audio books on youtube wub.gif i had a total nerdgasim when i found this out xd.png

that tirade aside ..... because seriously i had my craw full of people say "dude spoilers" with the HP movies; if you want to call yourself a fan of a series dont be too lazy to read/listen to the books. i 100% guarantee they're better anyways.

anyways .......

HBO has made changes from the start. up until now, those changes have been, for the most part, great for a tv adaptation as they helped to stream line the plot. 2 changes have never sat well with me in the show from season 1 are:

- Cersie. HBO has, from the start, set out to make this character (who is a rightful nasty witch that is 10 times worse than joffery and i wish she would get burned by dragons fire while being torn in half by drogon and given grey scale) HBO has set out to make her character more sympathetic. from lieing about her 'miscarriage' of Roberts kid (abortion =/= miscarriage) to down playing her entire involvement of the Jamie + Cersie love affair, to making her out to being "a mother only concerned with the well fair of her child who men always step on).

why they chose to down play her as a bad guy and make her a simpering sympathetic incompetent idiot with a nepolian complex is beyond me. shes a good villain in the books.

- Khal Drogo. this is the other change (up until season 5) that i didn't like. the entire portrayal of his and Danny's relationship on screen was just ... wrong. it did his character in justice and stunted Danny's growth on screen imo

the other changes HBO made, until this season, were good imo. before i get on my rant, i do want to say that so far i've enjoyed the changes to Danny's, Tyrions, Sam's, Jons, Little Finger and Brans story arcs. and though one of my favorite scenes in book 5 was seeing the twit get his face melted off, i'm also glad they didn't include Danny's cousin into the mix. the Walker army and that show down episode 8 was very nice imo .... though i'm confused as to why valarien steel was able to cut them ....

but ... the major changes they've made this season are harder to stomach or enjoy tbh.

Jamie - his going to Dorne made no sense. i get that, since Lady Stone heart isn't making an appearance (thankfully) that the siege on the Tully's isn't really needed .... but sending him to dorne, and then how they've executed the Dorne plot is just halfassed. HBO has also done a poor job at changing Jamies character, as he has changed in the books. by now he should be resentful of Cersie and no longer under her 'spell'. this is all in part to HBO trying to make Cersie more sympathetic to the audience. as a Team Jamie Lannister fan girl, i'm appalled at stunting his character growth to boost hers. out of all the characters in the series Jamie makes the most progress in terms of development. its a shame to not have that transcend to the screen sad.gif

i've actually read that HBO decided they could either explore Dorne or go with the Kings Moot in the Iron Islands. i wish that they had gone with the Kings Moot

Sansa - i get changing her arc, and up until the wedding night scene i thought HBO was doing very well to progress her from "naive little twit i wished would die" to "competent character i was semi rooting for". They changed her arc, and cut out Jenye Poole ... but all the while building Sansa up as a strong self sufficient woman who didn't need to rely on others to save her and was realizing the world wasn't a fairy tale (something that has yet to happen in the books dry.gif ) but then they thrust her back into the role of victim and stripe her of any building they just did by throwing in a rape scene.

whats worse, is that the entire reason for Martin's using Jenye Poole in the books was to break Theons stock-home syndrome that he's experiencing with Ramsey. and here, in the show, its not happening. so it serves nothing for plot development, and in fact sets character development back.

Shereen - its not that i liked her character, even in the books she felt more like a throw away character. a tool to show that Stannis wasn't an un-feeling robot and to help with the progression of the Onion Knight. in the show, she took more of a center stage, but still felt like a throw away character. so her being sacrificed isn't the problem. its the lack of build up to this event, and how it just 'comes out of left field' that bothers me. Melissandre should have been screaming for kings blood for her fire for a while now. HBO should have showed more progression into the deterioration of Stannis's camps over the space of multiple episodes. the lack of either of these makes this death come off as "shock value cause we need a red wedding this season" and does nothing for the plot except giving people another character to hate along side with Ramsey.

arbitrary deaths never sit well with me. in fiction, a characters death has to serve a point; either furthering the plot or developing another characters. this death serves nothing.

lack of wargs - this decision has left me confuzzled. they touched on it with Bran .... but left out any warging ability with Jon o.0

all of this said, i fear for Sam now; and this i will put in spoiler font

in the books he's long gone by now from the wall, to the citadel where he meets Joquen(sp). right now he's still at the wall and Jon is about to go a'la Caesar style. if Sam is still at the wall when this happens, he'll be killed dry.gif and as Sam isn't a warg this means perma-death for him dry.gif i'm not cool with this change.

also, the lack of showing the warging stuff with jon means that if he does jump into Ghost when he's stabbed to death on show .... it will come out of left field as a WTF to the audience.

i'm also wondering if they'll skip the Nymeria bit with Arya dry.gif which makes me sad if they do

About Sam:

I've seen some casting calls for season 6 and amongst them are a character that sound a lot like Randyl Tarly (they don't name any chars, but the description sounds right) and his wife and 2 children (son and daughter) so it sounds to me more like they're post-poning Sam's plot rather than removing it.

Also among the casting call: Euron so yay they finally remembered Greyjoys exist

Edited by Isuzu

you know, i just recalled Valarian steel does hurt Walkers. Jon used the sword in the Tower to save Mormont *nods* i'd forgotten about that.

re sam

his parents being cast does quell my apprehension a little, the only reason to bring them in is if Gilly is going to go to Sames parents. but it doesn't given me much security.

i just hope that they keep that arc in, with Sam and Jon. because seeing Jon come back as confirmed R & L = J means Jon is a Dragon Rider and could sit the thrown and marry Danny wub.gif

Yeah I got the feeling Sam and Gilly going down to Oldtown will be postponed for next season. I think they are cute together, and it seems their story will pick back up in the future books to come anyway. But they can't forget about Young Griff from book 5! I dunno how much they showed those characters (Tyrion, Griff, Young Griff, and the others) in the show, but in the book they seem to be hugely paramount to the plot. Spoilers: And if the R+L=J theory is correct, Prince Aegon (Young Griff) would still be older than Jon and he would have first rights to the Throne before Jon does, but Jon would still have first rights to being Lord of Winterfell over all of Ned Stark's kids, because Lyanna was older, and Jon is the son of the would-have-been king, that's something in the books Jon repeatedly has always wanted... And I am SUPER HAPPY I'm not the only one who wants Jon and Danaerys to marry! xd.png

Also, what's up with Jon Connington having greyscale??? Does anyone think Jon Snow was really named after this bloke instead of Jon Arryn? I'm leaning towards it... Apparently Jon Connington and Rhaegar were close friends. And Connington made it his life's pledge to protect Rhaegar's living son(s). I just think it would be a nifty relationship to explore. Also, I like griffons. Griffons are good. Especially when they get along with dragons. cool.gif

Edited by purplenewt

Griff and Young Griff were cut from the show dry.gif Tyrion was kidnapped by Jorah instead. who rescued Tyrion from the river and Jorah contracted grey scale.

both of em then get captured by slavers and Danny comes across them (and frees em taking Tyrion into her service) when touring the different "champions" in prep for opening the Pits.

imo, i'm not much put out by that change in plot. it inserts two needless characters into a show where their trying to stream line content, one character which dies within the same book he's introduced (all be it, watching the arrogant SOB be melted by dragons breath was a highlight of DwD for me xd.png )

i was upset that Jorah is the one that got greyscale; wish they woulda just cut that bit was well since they cut so much already dry.gif

and R+L=J is all but confirmed. when Millie (Melisandre) resurrects Jon from the wall as R'hllor she'll be filling more than one prophecy *nods*

and even though he has a right to claim it, i can't see Jon going after Winterfell. he's too much like Ned, his honor would see Sansa or Ayra sitting in there before him, and likely he'd try and seek out Rickon once he talked to Bran via the trees or a warg connection. besides, i thought that inheritance rights as Eldest Son to Youngest Son ... then Oldest Daughters to youngest.

i just hope that his honor doesn't hold him back from going and helping Danny or seeking out Sansa/Arya/Rickon once he comes back. the light blinded fool should interpreter his oath to the crows as complete seeing as he died (technically). but Jon probably wont see it that way and will insist on staying Lord Commander dry.gif which means even if he should marry Danny, the stubborn fool wont cause of some stupid oath.

*mumbles* not like they could make kids so there'd be no harm and really it would be in the realms best interest to have Jon on the Throne. he's the most stable and level headed of the lot of em left for the job *nods*

Edited by Red2111

I think you need to stop comparing it to the books, it's pretty much been confirmed that from this point on there just being different. Some of the stuff is based off what Martin told them to do but there are changes.

I think you need to stop comparing it to the books, it's pretty much been confirmed that from this point on there just being different. Some of the stuff is based off what Martin told them to do but there are changes.

okay if you read my rant then you'd know its not about comparing it to the books; its about a lack of making sense to the plot HBO is building.

this is from a Facebook discussion i got into after Sansa's wedding night

okay first let me say that as a fan of the series i understand HBO can't stay 100% true to the books, and until this season most of the changes they made were excellent choices that furthered the plot.

i can also say, as a fan of the series, that up until this point only two changes really bothered me in the show. the first being the change of portrayal of Cersie Lannister, whom HBO makes a point of trying to get the audience to sympathize with; and the second being the botched job of Khal Drogo, mainly with the wedding night scene.

however, as a fan, i'm disgusted and perturbed by the change in Sansa's character arc. not because i like the character (to the contrary, her chapters are ones i often glaze over because she refuses to grow away from the perpetual 'damsel in distress' motif Martin casts her in) but because this change in her arc was not only unnecessary but also damages any of the forward progress HBO has made on building her character on the show (and up until now, this season, they had been doing a much more decent job that Martin at getting her to grow).

imo, there is more than enough built off Ramsey to hate him, that they could have skipped the whole rape/torture bit with either of the characters (Sansa or Jenye) and moved straight to the audience seeing his intentions that night but being interrupted before being able to follow through by Stannis's horns blaring in the distance. When Martin uses rape as a literary plot device, its not thrown in arbitrarily "just for shits and giggles". There's a reason and purpose behind including it, whether for personal character growth, or to further along the plot itself.

This scene was an arbitrary "for shits and giggles" sort of thing that HBO inserted. It casts her back into the role of victim, when they've been firmly establishing her as a "strong female" the past few episodes, and was pointless for any plot development. Stannis will be there next episode (about a fortnight in book timeline), so she will be 'rescued' from the situation soon enough. the rape doesn't serve to be the "motivator" for her wanting to escape Winterfell; she already had motive enough.

In the books, Jenye's treatment was used to build two things; our hate for Ramsey and to break Theon of Stockholm syndrome. There's already been enough done on screen by Ramsey for people to hate him as much as we hated Joffery; and Theons character started to change when he saw Sansa, her being the real Sansa is motivation enough imo.

so, for me at least, its not that it was a mild scene in comparison to others in the show, or that it happened to a different character than in the books ... its that the entirety of the scene comes off as 'just for shits and giggles' and does nothing to further the plot.

----------------------------------------

now i could say the same thing about Shireen's being sacrificed.

Oooh spoilers there at the bottom.

Firstly I think you're wrong about cercei, its hard to show the stuff happening to her without you feel sympathy... then you remember who she is and you get over that.

Khal drogo I thought was fine, he didn't have much character to him in the books either.

And yeah it was a scene just designed to make us hate Ramsay more but if you ask me there have already been plenty of scenes that didn't really need to be shown but were added just to boost the fear factor. And as we can see, Sansa is still making the best of her situation, same with theon. They both are using the other as a way to stailise themselves, she looks down on him improving the harsh character shes been developing thanks to Littlefingers teaching and he is seeing how much she hates him and just wants her to stop.

Wait, what??? Aegon gets melted from dragon's fire??? I thought that was Quentyn! Did they seriously do that in the show? I hope not! What a let-down that would be if Prince Aegon managed to survive the butchering of Princess Elia and her kids in Kings Landing only to be burned to death by dragons 16 years later... I mean, they both were similar in personalities, Quentyn and Aegon, both wanted to marry Danaerys, but I think that's stupid for them to omit Aegon from the show. He and Jon Connington seem to play a pivotal role in future books to come. At least with Jorah getting greyscale I don't care as much because I never really cared about him much as a character, but I always assumed he'd become the next Lord Commander on the Wall... And also, I think you're right, Ned's kids would have more of a right to Winterfell than Jon anyways, I just remembered; they're not in Dorne, lol. And he would certainly try to get one of the Stark kids to rule Winterfell over him; it's just who he is, honorable. That's what I like so much about him. However, I don't think Melisandre can raise Jon up from the dead without Lightbringer, which Ramsey says he has it, so they kinda HAVE to go to Winterfell if they want to revive Jon. And besides, even if he does return from the dead, they'll probably have a 999th Lord Commander because Jon was technically dead and they needed a new commander. Plus, they would consider Jon a deserter/treasoner because he openly broke his vows of getting involved, and would subsequently try to kill him because they view him as a treasoner, so I don't think he can just go back to the Wall easily, meaning I think he and Melisandre might stay in Winterfell for a time. I also like the idea that Ghost is the one who kills Ramsay, since that jerk likes his dogs so much, it would be greatly satisfying watching him get eaten alive by a direwolf/Jon. Those are just my thoughts. rolleyes.gif

From what you guys are saying about the show, it sounds like I'm going to risk punching my friend's television screen if I keep watching. (I don't mind getting tv show spoilers, I just don't like book spoilers, but there's no danger here because I've just finished all 5 books currently available). Thank you for giving me a heads up! I'll be sure to curb my anger when I see it! xd.png

@ Marcus - i respectfully have to disagree about Cersie. take for instance in book one about the bit with Roberts Baby. in the show they make it out to be a miscarrage, in the books she actively sought out an abortion to purge his demon seed from her body. take the Jamie/Cersie relationship./ in the show it looks like Jamie is the aggressor and she's just being taken advantaged of and dominated by yet another man. int he book, the entire thing was her idea and its her that is manipulating Jamie for the most part dry.gif

they even down played how she used Lancel to spite Jamie and how she shunned Jamie because he lost his hand. and they leave out her going ape crap nuts when her old man dies.

i just see HBO as trying to make Cersie out to be a "whipping boy" character rather than a right b*tch that we should all hate and take glory in her failures. with Khal Drogo, Danny's love for him in the books was true. he was a gentle giant to her. in the show her love comes off as stock home syndrome.

------------------------

@ newt - nah they leave both of the characters out of the show all together (Danny's Cousin, i call him Q-Bert, and his care taker). same with Lady Stone Heart and Cold Hands.

they've also merged a few arcs together (like leaving out Roberts illegitimate kid where Stannis lives and having Gendry take up that arc) and they didn't do the baby swap on the wall either.

they've also completely done away with any of the arcs on the Iron Born (though they've cast some people for those roles for next season, so we might still see a Kings Moot); not to mention the magical horns haven't even been brought up.

with Jon being brought back ... theres rumor that she'll sacrifice Shireen to the fire and use that to get Jon back. Millie is much stronger than the priest that was with Berlic, she's able to do a lot more with the magic. she also seems to think that Jon is R'Hllor iirc; which is why she stayed on the wall when stannis left.

seeing Ghost rip out Ramsey's throat would be, for me, about as good as reading Cersie being broken by the Sparrows and her walk of shame. i still think the witch is faking it btw ... but seeing her humiliated was something i took a perverse joy in *nods* i just hope that when Jon is pulled form Ghost, Ghost is okay dry.gif out of all the characters in this story, the Dire wolves got shafted. i'd like to see Summer, Shaggy Dog, Ghost and Nymeria make it out alive.

i will say though, the bit with Drogon and Danny was just as excellent as it was in the books for me happy.gif when i read that bit i was entranced. i couldn't tear myself from the pages tbh. reading it, i could feel Drogons breath on my face. seeing that interaction with him and Danny was wonderful and almost makes up for the poor handling of Shireen's death.

granted the scene with Shireens death was fine, it was the lack of proper lead up that disturbs me.

Edited by Red2111

I do agree that Cersei doesn't come nearly across as hateful in the show as she is in the books, which bothers me -- ESPECIALLY when Jaime continues to force himself on her in the show, even after he'd lost his hand. I happen to love how George Martin made me go from hating Jaime so much in book 1 to making him one of my most favorite characters by books 4 and 5. By now he's supposed to be atoning for his sins, because Brienne's goodness has rubbed off on him (I love their relationship!). So to make him come across as even more of an aggressor than he originally was in the show infuriates me! It was Cersei who was using him! Even in the books when we see her side of things, I still hate her. And even after reading about her walking through the streets of King's Landing naked and she ends up crying from the humiliation, it still didn't make me like her any better. That's only what she gets from having an affair with her cousin and Ser Osrik. What about all the other things she's done??? I hope Cersei gets what's coming to her... dry.gif

See, I was thinking that Thoros of Myr (the red priest with Beric) was a true worshiper of R'hllor, whereas I still suspect Melisandre of being either 1, too much of a religious zealot for the good of Westeros and R'hllor is a jerk god who loves the taste of blood and the stench of burning flesh, and/or 2, she's really just pretending to be a worshiper of R'hllor but secretly is practicing evil magic to make her/R'hllor look more terrifying (kind of like Mirri Maz Dur, or however you spell her name from book 1). Somewhere in the books someone says that blood magic is the evilest form of magic there is, and it seems Melissandre is performing most of her magic through the use of blood sacrifices. Thoros of Myr doesn't require blood magic to revive anybody. That, and Melisandre demanding that Jon burn down all weirwood trees and septs puts me off; something's not right about her. Even if she brings Jon back from the dead (to which I'd be forever grateful) I'd still dislike her anyway. Plus, she comes across as a total $lut in the show, which puts me off because she doesn't do anything like that in the books at least. dry.gif

newt ... it refreshing to talk to someone who shares 100% of my same thoughts on the books happy.gif

*fist bump*

team Jamie FTW wub.gif i love his character and Jamie/Bernie (my nick name for Brienne) is the BESTEST relationship in the series imo

out of all the characters in the series, Jamies is the most complex and in depth.

and i agree 100% about Cersie

her tears after the walk of shame and her 'subdued' demeanor is a facade imo. she's faking it until she can off the sparrows and assert herself back into power again. i'm not fooled for a second and i hope that she gets a worse end than the Mountain tbh.

the walk of shame was a good start imo, but its no where near enough to make me feel like justice has been served.

i hope the relative that kills her (via the prophecy we learned about) is Jamie. i could see him seeing her as another "Mad King" and needing to put her out of her misery for the greater good .... but i have a feeling it'll either be Lancel or Tyrion. i thought for a while it would be Kevin ... but he's dead so no dice on that xd.png.

I actually don't want her to die. I think death is too good for her. She should be locked up in a dungeon for the rest of her life, imo. She should be forced to watch as Margery (or more likely Dany) takes everything Cersei holds dear, as prophesied. She complains about being a pawn in a mans world, well, she should probably have thought about her actions, then, because I think she's permanently screwed herself over.

I know this doesn't quite happen yet in the books, but the part where Tyrian and Ser Jorah reunite is just precious to me. I CANNOT wait to see the relationship between Danaerys and Tyrian! I am 100% sure Jon is one of the other two dragon-riders, but I'm still unsure about the 3rd one, but I have a few suspects, and Tyrian is one of them. (However, I think either Jaime or Bran are more qualified, and Tyrian is just the glue that brings them all together). Your thoughts?

Edited by purplenewt

First off I want to apologize for double-posting, but I just wanna say something...

Okay so I finally caught up to every last episode, including last night's season finale, and WOW... I've been reading up on theories for Jon Snow and I'm really liking the idea that when they go to burn his body, instead of becoming ashes and bones, the fire brings him back to life ala Daenarys from end of book 1/season 1 style. That would be total badass, and at the same time proving he's Azor Ahai. However, I guess the actor let slip last month that he's not going to be in season 6 at all, so if the theory is correct, that Jon comes back to life, it's gonna have to happen at the end of season 6 or later. In the meantime, I'm almost 100% sure Jon's soul will be inside Ghost, probably for a while. Maybe he'll get some one-on-one time with Bran finally... who knows. I just refuse to believe he stays dead. sad.gif It would sure be nice to know the exact date Winds of Winter (book 6) is coming out, George R. R. Martin!

Whoa. I like the idea of Jon being resurrected via funeral pyre, but won't that still require a sacrifice? When Dany hatched her eggs she burned the witch whatsherface to do so.

Now that the TV series has caught up with the books I've been spoiling things for myself left right and centre to try and catch up on information left out of the show. tongue.gif

Anyway, here are my hopes for the next season.

~ Jon gets resurrected. Since Sam left he's the only character at the Wall I really give a damn about. The people who betrayed him (except maybe Olly) get killed by Jon loyalists and Wildings, helping to bring the two sides together a bit.

~ Sansa and Theon escape Winterful alive and meet up with Brienne and Pod. Brienne takes the two of them back to her home (Is the Sapphire Isle an actual island?) for safety.

~ Dany somehow gets the Horse Rider peeps to take her back to Meereen. There Varys gets into her good graces by helping her find and arrest/execute the Harpies. Near the end she gets a proper grip on how to train control her dragons and lets the other two out of their basement.

~ Bran figures out how to communicate with his siblings via his mystical magical warg powers. Gets in contact with Ayra, tells her about the White Walkers, and sends her to go and get Dany.

~ We find out what the hell happened to Rickon.

~ Margaery and Loras get released. If Cersei gets a Walk of Shame for sleeping with her own cousin out of wedlock, then lying and buggery can't be considered much worse crimes. Yeah they'll probably get landed with something as bad as if slightly worse than a Walk, but they'll survive. The crowd probably won't treat them as badly as they did Cersei either.

~ Cersei goes to trial for the murder of King Robert. Didn't Lancel help her with this as well?

What I expect to happen. None of these are in any particular order.

~ Jon dies D:

~ Dany dies. D:

~ Drogon and/or the other two dragons are killed D:

~ The fall kills both Sansa and Theon, or leaves them both badly injured. If they live Ramsay finds them and comes up with new ways to torture them.

~ Littlefinger attacks Winterfell.

~ Margaery and/or Loras are hanged.

~ Cersei's new champion kills all the Sparrows.

~ Myrcella dies.

~ Tommen dies.

~ Jamies is arrested and/or killed by the Sparrows.

~ Cersei starts a war with Dorne. Shes kills and/or tortures Trystane.

~ Tyrion dies D:

~ White Walkers attack the wall and smash it, leaving the rest of Westeros open for invasion. This'll probably happen near the end of the season.

~ Rickon remains invisible.

It may or may not require blood sacrifice. Maybe burning Stannis's wife, daughter, and Patchface (their fool) would work in this case? ***It would explain why they killed them off in the show. More likely, I think Lady Melisandre is going to convince the wildlings to leave the wall where they aren't wanted anyway (especially now that Jon's dead) and attack Winterfell to retrieve Lightbringer -- then use THAT to resurrect Jon like how Thoros of Myr would revive Beric Dondarrion all those times. I think it is pretty stupid of the Night's Watch to kill Jon AFTER they have all the wildlings south of the wall. They've pretty much screwed themselves over big time, because isn't it like a 5 to 1 ratio of wildlings to every crow there? Are they really going to try to kill them all? Because I'm pretty sure that even if they ask nicely the wildlings won't go back north again... So that leaves them going south to march on Winterfell and finish what Stannis started. Plus, I REALLY want to see Ghost/Jon rip out Ramsay's throat! As for Theon and Sansa (in the book it is Jayne Poole), they'll survive. I think they're going to team up with Theon's sister for a little while, maybe conquer the Seastone chair from her uncles, and have a chance run-in with Daenarys when she takes over Victarian's naval fleet in Meereen? biggrin.gif

What makes you think Dany is going to die? She's like, one of the most badass characters in the books and show! I believe A Dance with Dragons is Dany's realization that she can't lock up her dragons and expect everything to be fine. Dragons are not meant to be caged up. That was her mistake -- that instead of hiding them away she should have been trying to train them, where to go and what and how often to eat and such. Also it shows they can be ridden now. I really hope Tyrion can convince her to hurry her butt over to Westeros where she belongs and help save the world from the White Walkers, the true enemy. Aegon can sit on the Iron Throne and look pretty for however long he wants, but it is Daenarys with the dragons, and all the power, and it is her everyone should look to to save them. Also, I just want to see Jon and Dany team up, lol. Seems as though they both approve of Tyrion, and why wouldn't they? He is inherently the good guy, and quite possibly the third dragon head. Who knows... All the more reason why I can barely wait for Winds of Winter. I have no idea what the show's going to do if GRRM doesn't publish his books in time...

Edited by purplenewt

I've come to expect that anyone in this series can die, no matter how awesome they are or how well liked.

By expecting that any or all of my favourites will get offed sooner or later (Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Sansa), I'm safeguarding myself against the rage and sorrow I'd feel if they get killed. If they live, then I'll be really happy instead ^-^