Kirbyburn

Ascension

How should lineages work?  

726 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've skim-read this a bit, and had a good lol at the "old fart" bit! xd.png

What about an action that showed up for a dragon at, say, 3 months and had a lowish chance of success at first, but the chance of a successful Ascension could increase each month thereafter.

For example:

Dragon A is 3 months old and has a 10% chance to Ascend.

Dragon B is 4 months old and has a 15% chance to Ascend.

Dragon C is 6 months old and has a 25% chance to Ascend.

Dragon D is 1 year old and has a 55% chance to Ascend.

With this idea, you might get lucky and get an Ascended dragon very early, but even if you didn't, you'd have a much higher chance once the dragon is older and more ready for the change.

I'm not sure about this one. Sure, it seems like a compromise, but it will undoubtedly result in lots of spamming (of the respective action) so people can ascend their dragons early.

I've skim-read this a bit, and had a good lol at the "old fart" bit! xd.png

What about an action that showed up for a dragon at, say, 3 months and had a lowish chance of success at first, but the chance of a successful Ascension could increase each month thereafter.

For example:

Dragon A is 3 months old and has a 10% chance to Ascend.

Dragon B is 4 months old and has a 15% chance to Ascend.

Dragon C is 6 months old and has a 25% chance to Ascend.

Dragon D is 1 year old and has a 55% chance to Ascend.

With this idea, you might get lucky and get an Ascended dragon very early, but even if you didn't, you'd have a much higher chance once the dragon is older and more ready for the change.

Meh. Maybe with a one month cooldown. Only being able to try for ascension four times a year would be kind of annoying.

Or else a higher success rate. If I've waited a year to ascend my dragon, I don't want to spend another six months waiting on cooldown for the fifty percent chance to fall my way.

Meh. Maybe with a one month cooldown. Only being able to try for ascension four times a year would be kind of annoying.

Or else a higher success rate. If I've waited a year to ascend my dragon, I don't want to spend another six months waiting on cooldown for the fifty percent chance to fall my way.

even a one month cooldown doesnt seem worth it.

Vampire bites are only once a month, and that has been fairly efficient.

But im pretty sure thats because it both makes a new dragon, or accidently kills one.

Freezing a hatchie is a 100% thing, so is re-nameing and several BSA's.

I don't really see why there should be percent chances or even chagine one at that.

Just makes it more complicated.

I'd really prefure it to be "you cilck this your dragon will ascend...blahblahblah"

Psssst! Those were examples because I like easy maths! wink.gif And certainly it should be something that can be tried more than four times a year. I was just demonstrating how the percentage could increase over time.

Freezing a hatchie is a 100% thing, so is re-nameing and several BSA's.

I don't really see why there should be percent chances or even chagine one at that.

Just makes it more complicated.

I'd really prefure it to be "you cilck this your dragon will ascend...blahblahblah"

Actually in favor of 100%, but a lot of people seem to want an RPing aspecct in that it's a rite of passage of sorts and there needs to be a chance of failure.

Actually in favor of 100%, but a lot of people seem to want an RPing aspecct in that it's a rite of passage of sorts and there needs to be a chance of failure.

Well lets look at re-nameing.

There was a discussion going on about that for months. With complicated ideas going around

Yet

In the end TJ made it an incredibly simple thing.

Personaly I feel the haveing a dragon for x moths is enough of a requirement, just don't see the need to have failure to get old.

Yeah I don't understand why everyone insists on having a failure for everything.

Then people complain when they can't get what they want because of failures. rolleyes.gif

If there must be a failure, I say it should be very low, like influence.

Influence has a higher chance of failing if you wait too long to influence the egg (from what I've heard) but it is still a pretty low chance.

So, if there should be a failure, it should be if you try to ascend the dragon too early. Say the waiting period is 3 months. If someone tries to ascend the dragon at exactly 3 months old, then there could be a slight chance of failing, but not too much. Like Influence.

And the waiting period to ascend again shouldn't be too long. I say two weeks at the most.

Edited by tikigurl91

I'd say there should only be a chance of failure if we decide to make ascending have an in-game effect other than changing the dragon's sprite, such as leveled-up BSAs.

I'd say there should only be a chance of failure if we decide to make ascending have an in-game effect other than changing the dragon's sprite, such as leveled-up BSAs.

Why, shouldnt it be just "Your dragon is ready to ascend, hit this action."

And you can't really fail to ascend if its based on age.

I don't want to rain on any parades - but - what is the point of it anyway ? Other than using more pretty sprites....

I don't want to rain on any parades - but - what is the point of it anyway ? Other than using more pretty sprites....

Fun, you could say the samething for everything else.

Fun, you could say the samething for everything else.

Oh - OK. Then why is everyone agonising ? THAT's not fun... xd.png

I think pretty sprites is a reason unto itself. This is a sprite collecting game after all, so prettier sprites are always welcome. Plus it adds a new story element you can incorporate into your descriptions and stuff.

What is this. Kila's posting? Oh god run!

But no, really, I love the idea of Ascention and I've put work into the Ascended Reds before my retirement, so...I do care about this issue.

I have always seen Ascention as a rite of passage. The dragon grows stronger, gaining new skills and, in the case of Skywings, gains a new physical attribute.

I can see this being obtained both by age, because animals do gain "status" as they age, and by a mystical artifact. For the age, I think 6 months to a year is sufficient. Ascention is not something that should be obtained easily. It should be something we can take pride in. "Hey, I stuck around long enough and now my dragon can ascend. Look at how awesome s/he is now!" Or it should be obtained through the item, which is similar to a quest, in a sense.

It should take time to get the means to Ascend, even if it's just through age.

Though using an elixer/potion to Ascend would not be time dependent. You would be able to Ascend a month old dragon if you happen to be lucky enough to find the item.

I don't see why it would hurt to have two options for Ascention. One time based and one "luck" based. Luck is in quotes because, well, you have to be lucky to find the item if it's set up with a RNG.

Lyth, are you for item use only, or item use and [x]? 'cause to me at least, item use is less spectacular than aging/time-based ascension. It... it feels like this ._.

There's no reason it can't be both, unless you're talking coding complexity. In which case it's purely at TJ's discretion.

I don't really see the difference between clicking mindlessly Splash, to clicking mindlessly "Search", except that it reminds me WAAAAY too much of the Summon function and... well, I'm one of the very annoyed users that seems perpetually stuck with commons. No silver or gold because I'm too slow, no GoN because I just don't have luck... no Ascended either?

Ugh... no thanks. I don't mind a little difficulty, but a bit too much is too much.

Click, click, click, drats! Another boot! sleep.gif0

Simple difference? Splash and Summon give you nothing when you fail. They're all-or-nothing. Search at least will give you other tiny rewards, many of which were also suggested in the search thread such as fertility potions. Which is why Search is suggested to go alongside not only ascension, but also treasure hoarding. Fail to get an ascension item, but your dragon could still get loot for their hoard, or you could get some other item.

Would you turn up your nose at smaller lottery winnings simply because they weren't the jackpot?

Continuing my WoW example, the reason I can keep spamming archaeology is not simply because of the feeling of an extensive search. Even a fancy hairpin or skimpy silk dress can be sold to an NPC for a nontrivial amount of gold. I'm wading through piles of petrified ferns, paperweights, perfume bottles and voodoo dolls, yes. I'm looking for rare treasure, and these things are in the way. But those things have value. I take them because they are precious in another way. Otherwise I'd just destroy the item on the spot to make bag room.

Funny how, in a game where the community is groomed to value hard work, people are looking for an easy street to what is supposedly going to be the penultimate form of their beloved dragon. You've already invested x amount of time into obtaining and raising your gold dragon. It's rather anticlimatic to have him reach the next tier at the simple press of a button with little other effort involved. And no, I'm not trying to insinuate that adults should accumulate any more views or something. That is unreasonable. That would take a lot more server space because adults would require so much more data. This is why I favor an item obtained through search; it would still require work and patience, going with the existing themes through the site. Without an all-or-nothing spamfest.

Edited by Lythiaren

I like this idea, having to click adults to "level them up" reminds me way too much of most other adoptables sites and petsites.

Hmm. Can we also have ascended zombies? Of course, zombies cannot ascend, but if you killed and successfully revived an ascended dragon, you should get an ascended zombie, right? (Although I feel that the chance of actually killing an ascended dragon should be pretty low - after all, they're stronger and bigger and meaner and have a thicker hide than regular adults.)

And how about ascended vamps? biggrin.gif

I don't think we need ascended neglecteds, though. After all, they are weaker than other dragons, which might include that they lack the ability to ascend.

What is this. Kila's posting? Oh god run!

But no, really, I love the idea of Ascention and I've put work into the Ascended Reds before my retirement, so...I do care about this issue.

I have always seen Ascention as a rite of passage. The dragon grows stronger, gaining new skills and, in the case of Skywings, gains a new physical attribute.

I can see this being obtained both by age, because animals do gain "status" as they age, and by a mystical artifact. For the age, I think 6 months to a year is sufficient. Ascention is not something that should be obtained easily. It should be something we can take pride in. "Hey, I stuck around long enough and now my dragon can ascend. Look at how awesome s/he is now!" Or it should be obtained through the item, which is similar to a quest, in a sense.

It should take time to get the means to Ascend, even if it's just through age.

Though using an elixer/potion to Ascend would not be time dependent. You would be able to Ascend a month old dragon if you happen to be lucky enough to find the item.

I don't see why it would hurt to have two options for Ascention. One time based and one "luck" based. Luck is in quotes because, well, you have to be lucky to find the item if it's set up with a RNG.

I actually like this idea. I don't mind using an item if there is a catch-all with age. Sixth months is still a long time, and just because all you do is hit a button at the end of that time, does not mean that you have not earned it. I think making it purely luck based will just generate ill-will, especially after seeing how summon has panned out. Yeah, you would still get some items, but how would you feel if you got useless item after useless item while someone else was getting ascension items by the bucket load? Even if you don't mind that, there is going to be a lot of resentment by others against the person getting a lot of them.

And no, personally I don't view something like search that much more work than pushing a button, it is just much more tedious and disappointing.