How should lineages work?  

724 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

While agree with dinos and limited dragons, I disagree on papers and cheeses - I saw the ascendend sprit thread before it was locked away and the ascended paper is simply stunning, it would be a shame to not use it wink.gif - and papers/cheeses are magic based - why is it so impossible to have magic rearange the dragon substance into something different looking?

Mmmm, didn't think of it that way. That does make sense. :3

True, nobody (but maybe dove) knows what is going to happen to the bright pink, but we know from Lyth that the frills won't get an ascended form ever.

Don't post ANY sprites. They were hidden for a reason.

Holiday dragons will not get ascended sprites. Of that I can assure you all.

I know, I wasn't going to.

While agree with dinos and limited dragons, I disagree on papers and cheeses - I saw the ascendend sprit thread before it was locked away and the ascended paper is simply stunning, it would be a shame to not use it wink.gif - and papers/cheeses are magic based - why is it so impossible to have magic rearange the dragon substance into something different looking?

You won an Internet. xd.png You are right!

So, the list of "Not able to ascend" is: Dinos, Christmas, Valentines, GoNs...

What about other "specials" breeds, like NDs, Halloweens and Zombies?

And Chickens... xd.png I want an Ascended chicken! XDDDD

OHHHH me too smile.gif

So, the list of "Not able to ascend" is: Dinos, Christmas, Valentines, GoNs...

And apparently Ridgewing dragons, because the spriter for that breed is not available to give permission, as I learned from a thread on an unrelated suggestion. So there will be a few odd breeds left out.

EDIT: Oops, I meant Dorsals.

Edited by quadibloc

@quadibloc- Well, I was pointing the NO-NO breeds. Outside that list, every other breed has the right to have an Ascended sprite, of course with the Spriter permission. Particular cases, like Dorsals, Frills and etc will be discussed after defining the Ascend system, I guess :3

D: I wanted a Frill...

What about other "specials" breeds, like NDs, Halloweens and Zombies?

I'd say NDs shouldn't. They're supposed to be weak, right, from being neglected? So it would make sense that they aren't strong enough to ascend. Zombies I'd say shouldn't, either, because they're sort of limited--you can only kill 5 times, and they permanently take up a kill slot, so...

Halloweens... I dunno, I could go for those being ascendable, since they're not limited as much as other holiday dragons--four the year they're released, then breeding/grabbing off the AP up to the max number of eggs each year after that... But at the same time, I could see them being not ascendable since they're still a holiday breed, even if they're different than other holiday breeds.

I don't like the idea of ascended chickens--regular chickens don't ascend, so why should these ones?

I don't like the idea of ascended chickens--regular chickens don't ascend, so why should these ones?

How do you know ?

We had a rooster called Albert Sidney and I swear he ascended regularly - we had to get him down off the roof quite frequently...

How do you know ?

We had a rooster called Albert Sidney and I swear he ascended regularly - we had to get him down off the roof quite frequently...

xd.png Ahahaha! Oh dear, he must have really liked ascending!

Still, I don't think they should ascend--the whole idea is them getting more magically powerful and physically stronger, and stuff, right? And chickens are just... chickens, not magical at all.

xd.png  Ahahaha!  Oh dear, he must have really liked ascending!

Still, I don't think they should ascend--the whole idea is them getting more magically powerful and physically stronger, and stuff, right?  And chickens are just...  chickens, not magical at all.

Chickens are very strong. Try picking one up when it doesn't want to be....

(I do agree with you REALLY, I just love the possible sprites I can think of for an ascended... xd.png)

user posted image

Edited by fuzzbucket

Maybe some of the dragon's magic rubbed off on the chicken egg in the cave. laugh.gif

I have to admit, ti would be lol-worthy and chickens do come in some lovely plumage. If someone wants to make a sprite, why not. If not, personally I wouldn't be heartbroken.

I do believe this is getting rather off topic.

I'm 98% sure that Chickens, like Dinos, will not Ascend.

Reminder:

So! If you have ideas on this (not for what the dragons should look like - we'll leave that up to the artists and give you all an awesome surprise), please feel free to post them here and hash out this idea. :3

Examples for ideas that could come up here: how to get to the ascended stage, when to get to the ascended stage, how would this affect BSA's or breeding, and etc.

:3

I notice that the original post mentioned that ascended dragons were originally unbreedable, and this was abandoned as not making sense.

However, if an ascended dragon is elderly, this is not entirely out of sync with biology. If dragons were just like people, a dragon would become infertile, although not unbreedable, after ascending... if it was female. (If the same sprite were used for male and female ascended dragons for all breeds, this wouldn't be too bad.)

However, "making sense" aside, making an ascended dragon unbreedable is a severe penalty, which would basically discourage people from ascending their rare dragons. So I have to agree that it is probably a bad idea. And, there is one argument for it not making sense... remember, dragons are immortal!

On top of that, it's only mammals that go through menopause. (It has something to do with the cells later developing into ovae are ready-made in fetus stage - and won't develop at any later date. Once they're used up - or close to this - menopause starts.) Reptiles and birds - among others - retain their fertility until they are too weak to reproduce because they can produce new ovae without any restriction.

Also notice that, although human males suffer from lowered fertility with growing age, they can still sire children at age 90+ - at least in theory.

After my post, I did some further thinking on the subject.

The term "Ascended" has various meanings. It could be entirely reasonable for an Ascended dragon to be unable to breed, because because an Ascended dragon could be a spirit dragon.

Of course, this isn't what is meant. But that did give me a thought as to what something like this could grow into, in time.

Instead of Ascend, perhaps the BSA should be called "Molt". After perhaps six months from hatching, one can use Molt (with a cool-down of, say, four weeks). If the action succeeds, the dragon takes on a "molted dragon" sprite. (Temporarily, the last-stage hatchling sprite could be used.)

Then, you have seven days to get views for the molted dragon. If it doesn't get enough views, perhaps it just reverts to normal adult status without dying, and with the option to molt again after cooldown.

If it does get enough views, it may become an Ancient dragon, with a different sprite, or just a normal adult again.

Twelve months from hatching, "Molt" has an additional possible result - instead of becoming an Ancient dragon, it might become a Venerable dragon, again with a different sprite.

Ancient dragons generated before 12 months after hatching will gain the Molt BSA at twelve months; those generated after that, however, have Ancient as their final form. And an Ancient dragon can only molt once; if it remains ancient, that's that - if it received a sufficient number of views while molted. (If it didn't, then whether or not it had what it took to become Venerable wasn't revealed, so it gets to try again after cooldown.)

The idea is that an Ancient dragon is one that is old and strong and shrewd - but a Venerable dragon, being old and wise, can only come from a dragon that was clever enough to begin with. Not every dragon can have what it takes to become Venerable.

And, two years from hatching, dragons gain the Ascend BSA. The Ascended sprite looks like the Venerable sprite, but is a recolor that looks partly transparent. Any adult, Ancient, or Venerable dragon can Ascend. Ascended dragons cannot breed. In the great beyond, of course, as spirits, dragons are no longer limited by their intellectual attainments upon Earth, so every Ascended dragon has all the wisdom of a Venerable dragon and more, which is why the Venerable sprite is used as the basis.

So, there you go. This is where an idea like this could be taken.

Edited by quadibloc

Sounds good. Are you volunteering to produce the 3 additional sprites per breed? (three out of molted, ancient, venerable, ascended)

I don't particularly care for quadibloc's idea. First of all, it seems overly complicated. Second, any form of ascension that means the dragon can no longer breed is something I wouldn't use. And third, too many new sprites would be needed. It's already taken a couple years for the artists to get as far as they have with ascended sprites.

I agree with Fiona. We're having trouble enough trying to find a system that most people agree with for just one additional stage, don't see why we would make it even more complicated and elaborate.

It is too complicated to do that way, and too much work for the spriters. Besides, IIRC the idea of having to get more views to ascend already had some dislike expressed for it. (Though that wasn't exactly a serious suggestion last time)

I agree with Fiona. We're having trouble enough trying to find a system that most people agree with for just one additional stage, don't see why we would make it even more complicated and elaborate.

I agree that this is unlikely to happen, if for no other reason than the number of sprites required.

But I put this vision of where ascending could eventually lead up to be looked at precisely because of the disagreement over how the one additional stage should work. The Ancient, Venerable, and Ascended statuses all embody different visions of what Ascended "means".

So if we leave out the idea of a "molted" stage requiring views, perhaps agreement could be reached that Ascended is intended to be like "Ancient" in my elaborate scenario - and that having it that way doesn't preclude adding additional stages of ascension sometime in the far future.

I thought the generally agreed-upon idea was that ascended basically meant the dragon was wiser and magically stronger without physical deterioration...?