How should lineages work?  

724 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Again to the people who want no fail rate, it has to be attempted, the dragon has to work at it, so logically the dragon has to sometimes fail, THINK about it.

bold added by me.

I say, Says who? Why do you assume the dragon has to work at ascending? Do you have to work at getting a year older? Does learning more about living life take some pilgrimage out into the desert to "gain wisdom" or does it happen just by living?

The way I was seeing ascension proposed before it's a natural part of aging for dragons. No, not automatic, but not some big ceremonial effort they have to go though to somehow gain greater wisdom or strength. Yeah, not all dragons will ascend. Not all people gain wisdom and understanding as they age either. They just get older. The best ones begin being seen as a source of wisdom. So it could (should?) be with our dragons.

And thus, in my book, there is no failure needed. When they're ready to ascend, they're ready. They've lived life, paid attention to what was important, gained knowledge and strength. They've already paid the price. A shiny new sprite is the "badge" they've earned.

In that case should every dragon be ready at the same age? Overall with the wait six months then BAM system nothing makes sense IC.

In that case should every dragon be ready at the same age? Overall with the wait six months then BAM system nothing makes sense IC.

Which is why I don't like basic things off age,but there's no turning back now. I've also said that too much, so...

To me, they reach the age they can attempt to ascend. Like when I got the age to try to get my driver licence.

At least, that's how I see it.

Which is why a fail rate only makes sense.... though I have a feeling either not that many people are reading this, and even fewer care

I'm for a minor flat fail rate.

I still think the "attempt rite of passage" justification is reasonable, as is the argument about mental age vs physical age.

From a non-RP standpoint, I like it because it mixes things up a bit. A guaranteed success (just like a guaranteed failure *coughSUMMONcough*) can get dull.

We don't have a button to make eggs hatch or hatchlings grow--why should we have a button that guarantees ascension? Plus, there's a risk of sickness and death while raising dragons. I don't think we need something like that here, but it reinforces the "no free lunch" aspect of the rest of the game.

That said, I think six months before the option is available is a reasonable compromise. As to the failure rate, have it be something so a failure is more of a surprise than anything is preferable--Somewhere between 75%-95% success rate, maybe.

/2 cents.

If there has to be a fail rate, why not make it 10-25%? The leeway is there for discussion purposes only. Just something simple. Simple numbers, a simple system. Simplicity. No increasing chances. A small, flat rate of potential failure with a cool down of...a week or so. Possibly two, like summoning.

KILAAAAAA -glomp-

-cough-

Uh. I mean, I agree completely with a flat 10-25% fail rate. 15 would be ideal in my opinion.

How Ascension should be in my opinion:

Waiting time to get the "Ascend" option: 6 months.

Success: 85%. Flat.

Cooldown: 1 week.

(extra, open to debate)

Limit: 10 successful ascensions per week or two(?) similar to the Freeze action.

Fixing my 2 cents... How does it look now?

(extra, open to debate)

Limit: 10 successful ascensions per week or two(?) similar to the Freeze action.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. And, from what I've been following of this thread and polls, it should be reasonable with other users.

-ninja snugs TCA-

Works for me

85% ensures that there'll be not summon-like frustration, the chances of not getting ascension after 6 months is pretty much negligible

I say, Says who? Why do you assume the dragon has to work at ascending? Do you have to work at getting a year older? Does learning more about living life take some pilgrimage out into the desert to "gain wisdom" or does it happen just by living?

The way I was seeing ascension proposed before it's a natural part of aging for dragons. No, not automatic, but not some big ceremonial effort they have to go though to somehow gain greater wisdom or strength. Yeah, not all dragons will ascend. Not all people gain wisdom and understanding as they age either. They just get older. The best ones begin being seen as a source of wisdom. So it could (should?) be with our dragons.

And thus, in my book, there is no failure needed. When they're ready to ascend, they're ready. They've lived life, paid attention to what was important, gained knowledge and strength. They've already paid the price. A shiny new sprite is the "badge" they've earned.

MANY people gain NO wisdom by living, however long they do it for. Trust me; I am 66 and I know this. xd.png

And as a result, some of them fail catastrophically in life - end up in jail over and over and so on. SOME of those learn from their mistakes eventually. THEY would ascend - under the way I see ascending. Some learn on the way, and they too. Some never learn and don't get to ascend.

There should be a failure rate ! Otherwise it is just spam buttons like splash - just 6 months or whatever down the line.

Looks good to me.

Preferably with the extra...

Butting in here to say that I really like this, except for the extra limit. I think that combining the two limits would be kinda redundant. I personally don't see a problem with older users ascending a bunch of dragons at once. That would only really happen one time, AFAIK, when ascension is first implemented. The freezing limits were IIRC implemented to avoid users snagging and flash freezing a bunch of hatchlings off the AP... which wouldn't happen with adult dragons anyway.

Seen from a RP perspective, a scroll wide cooldown makes sense with the freezing restrictions, since it is an action done by the scroll owner. I think of ascension as more akin to the breed action or a BSA, and those don't have any scroll wide cooldown periods. Well, with the exception of Summon, but I thought it was agreed that ascension would be different from that, as it is considered so unnecessary frustrating by so many users?

Tl;dr: I would like either a failure rate or a scroll wide cooldown.

Good point, Synne. I wholeheartedly agree that it should be either a scroll-wide cooldown or a failure rate of up to 25%, but not both. (Although, just for the record, I think a failure rate of 11% would be perfect to make this an anti-summon.)

(extra, open to debate)

Limit: 10 successful ascensions per week or two(?) similar to the Freeze action.?

I like this.

Which is why a fail rate only makes sense.... though I have a feeling either not that many people are reading this, and even fewer care

Because from age you gain wisdom. Wisdom comes from experiences throughout your life. So unless you had enough to begin with, you would not be capeable of trying to ascend in the first place.

Random Example:

Goku/Son Goku could not become Super Sayain 3 untill here fully understood what it was to be a Super Sayain. Until then, he was stuck fightning in his weaker form for quite sometime, he didnt attempt to ascend because he didnt even know how too in the first place. And thats pretty much how it went down(unless your Vegeta...but thats a different case).

Then why does every dragon gain the wisdom at the exact same age? Come on Kirby even you have to admit this isn't making sense...

Then why does every dragon gain the wisdom at the exact same age? Come on Kirby even you have to admit this isn't making sense...

*applause*

Look at your argument. Back to mine. Back to yours, NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly it isnt mine. but if you stoped argueing around in pointless circles it could look like mine. Look down, back, up, where are you? Still reading these silly arguments until your ideas are the only ones left. Back to mine what is it? Extreemly efective Logic. Look again, my argument is now diamonds.

Anything is possible when you realize TJ will pick his own way, anyway.

Edited by Angziety

Look at your argument. Back to mine. Back to yours, NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly it isnt mine. but if you stoped argueing around in pointless circles it could look like mine. Look down, back, up, where are you? Still reading these silly arguments untill your ideas are the only ones left. Back to mine what is it. Extreemly efective Logic. Look again, my argument is now diamonds.

You win madam. *applause*

Look at your argument. Back to mine. Back to yours, NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly it isnt mine. but if you stoped argueing around in pointless circles it could look like mine. Look down, back, up, where are you? Still reading these silly arguments untill your ideas are the only ones left. Back to mine what is it. Extreemly efective Logic. Look again, my argument is now diamonds.

Lololololol. <3

Relevant pic is relevant.

I think it's obvious we're not coming to a compromise on this issue. How about we come up with a few different ways to do ascension, stick those in the first post, and let TJ read those, think on them, and do what he's going to do. ^^

Lololololol. <3

Relevant pic is relevant.

I think it's obvious we're not coming to a compromise on this issue. How about we come up with a few different ways to do ascension, stick those in the first post, and let TJ read those, think on them, and do what he's going to do. ^^

SMBC is love.

Basically, these are the points that are in dispute:

- how long to wait until ascension (although 6 months seemed fairly concrete)

- fail or not

- potions or not

- limit or not (and if so, exact details)

So various permutations of those four things are pretty much what we're down to.

MANY people gain NO wisdom by living, however long they do it for. Trust me; I am 66 and I know this. xd.png

And as a result, some of them fail catastrophically in life - end up in jail over and over and so on. SOME of those learn from their mistakes eventually. THEY would ascend - under the way I see ascending. Some learn on the way, and they too. Some never learn and don't get to ascend.

There should be a failure rate ! Otherwise it is just spam buttons like splash - just 6 months or whatever down the line.

Obviously you didn't read my whole post carefully, as I said that. My point is, who should decide which dragons don't ascend? An RNG, or the PLAYER? Since the way Ascension is being proposed right now doesn't have any game effects, I would say it should be the player. He/she decides, based on the role they envision for that dragon, that they are one of the foolish ones who don't learn the lessons life teaches.

Who would you rather have decide which dragons on your scroll will ascend? Personally, I would rather decide for myself, and not let some RNG decide, "Nope, you fail." Maybe that particular dragon is the one I've described as the leader of my scroll, the one all the others turn to for advice. How lame would that be?

As for limits, I thought the 10 per week sounded like a good compromise, as well as the 6 month wait for them to be old enough.

ETA: and Fuzz? You ain't that much older than I am. Just FYI.

ETA2: and Socky, I thought we'd agreed to table the potion discussion for an indication that someday we'd maybe get Search, since the mechanism for getting the potions hinged on that.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire