How should lineages work?  

724 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Only that 6 months is half a year. Do you know how long that takes?

Yes. And I voted for a full year. And I am FAR older than most here; I might kick the bucket before I make it. But I think ascending should be THAT special.

You can live till your next birthday, I bet. And Christmas isn't that far off, either.

Only that 6 months is half a year. Do you know how long that takes?

Nothing? We (general "we", meaning older players) don't need to wait because our dragons are already that old tongue.gif plus, it works as an incentive for new players.

It's like, I wouldn't like to have all the rare dragons in the 2 first weeks playing, it wouldn't be fun :/

I also feel that Ascension should have a cooldown.  Let's say two weeks before you can ascend another dragon.  That's 26 dragons in a year.

I'm not liking a limit like that, but I'm one of the people who has over 500 dragons and would potentially like to ascend many of them. xd.png I'd rather see a limit like how frozens are handled where you get X successes per Y weeks or something, and as soon as one frees up you can use it again. And preferably the limit would raise with each trophy level you get?

Example:  A new 3 month old dragon has just gain the action to ascend.  Over a 1 month period after using your dragon will try and enlighten itself.  Exactly after a month has passed, it then either fails to complete is ascendtion or it succeeds.  Using this idea, the action itself becomes a cooldown at the sametime, and then you can add in all the other ratios and limits.

No way, I'd hate to have to wait a whole freakin' month or something to find out if the ascension work! I'd rather have a higher failure rate than that.

Well I've come back to all this...

@ Kirby

We did agree on a few things, will post them as soon as I post this (need to search for the post)

Edit:

Based (at least partially) on time

Holidays, Jokes, and unbreedables exempt

Not Automatic

Unlimited per scroll

As for time:

This is really going to be a personal issue, how long do you want to wait? To be honest, a year seems fine to me, but the number thrown around most often is 6 months and I'll be fine with that, if we go even less, that just seems too short to me. (though that point about the 208 years made sense).

I would Really appreciate this to be polled, once we have this decided, we can move onto failure rate and then cool down, one step at a time people

Edit 2: Can we also agree to table the potion idea for now? At least until the search feature is implemented?

Edited by Sceptile100

Edit 2: Can we also agree to table the potion idea for now? At least until the search feature is implemented?

There are a lot of active people here in the ascension thread, while search/hoarding-threads are stagnant. Users are split on the topic of usuable items, and if by example of ascension potion the discussion comes to a compromise, then it wouldn't have to be discussed again in search/hoarding.

Edited by Rally Vincent

I would say 6 months sounds like a good time to have a dragon to ascend for me too.

The way I would have it work, however, is at six months, have a moderate success rate (Around 40%-maybe?) and after each fail, have the success rate increase 5%. So if you had a two week cooldown, and a 40% original success rate, everyone would have a 100% success rate at 1 year. Also, I wouldn't put any limit on the # of dragons you could ascend. This would make them a little bit challenging to get, but not too challenging.

I like this, but I think there should be a limit on successful ascensions. Something to the tune of the frozen limit - you can only successfully ascend ten adults every two weeks, or similar. But you can try as much as you want up to that limit.

eta would dragons that are already a year old at the time of implementation have a 100% success rate instantly?

Edited by SlowHornpipe172

I get your point, but we can't logically discuss an addition to a feature to tie into this when neither features are implemented, we're going off of assumptions that Hoarding will work a certain way and planning off of that. That's impractical, and means we'll have to redo the entire process if hoarding turns out any different. So for now, can we just say that, yes, if search comes out, we'll do potions, until then, lest's work with what we got.

My view (with compromises already built in smile.gif ):

Methodology:

Action appears after a certain age.

No 100% success rate.

Scroll limit only for successful ascensions, so you can try again for each fail. Cooldown per dragon after a fail.

Potions could be added to bypass any of the criteria: (preferably through search action so those who don't like the potions/inventory idea can just ignore it)

- potion to ascend before reaching age

- potion to guarantee success

- potion for an ascension above the limit

- potion to bypass cooldown after fail.

As I would see this as an incentive/rare for long-time players who have already collected all there is to collect, I would prefer a year. 3 months seems really short (I've been playing for 4 months now and still have a lot of sprites I need to get). I would say a minimum of 6 months, to compromise with more impatient people smile.gif

Success Rate:

Here too, I would like a relatively low success rate (certainly if potions are available to bypass that), but I realise most people want it to be easier so what about 67% (two out of three)

Limit: (only for successful ascensions!)

No trophy: 3 per week

Bronze trophy: 4 per week

Silver trophy: 5 per week

Gold trophy: 6 per week

If my calculations are anywhere near accurate, that would mean approximately 20% of the dragons you could catch in a year could be ascended. But I'm not good at math...

Cooldown

After a failed attempt, the dragon has to wait a week before trying again.

I. Love. This.

This post is wonderful. Takes into consideration time-limits, how long until a dragon could ascend, how successful it might be, potion-alternative, and it is all fairly reasonable.

Kudos on that!

Ooh, didn't even notice Fengari's post. I like everything that is there. I like the trophy limits as well, I hadn't even thought of that (silly me).

I have to say, the limit per week makes no sense at all to me (In context). Well have to make it explainable if we're going to put limits, I don't see a point anyway, why can't more than 5 dragons attempt a ritual a week?

I really don't want ascend if it's going to make things more complicated and add more waits. Keeping in mind what people have expressed, here are the limits I'm for:

Age: 3-6 months; I'd be all for 4, but it seems many people are putting a minimum at 6

Cooldown: Anywhere from one week to two weeks (IF there's a chance of failure, as I was thinking of this as an action, not a BSA; if there's no chance of failure, no cooldown, of course)

Chance of failure: About the same as influence (LOW), IF any; I have no problems with no chance of failure

Limit: I'm really for no limit - ascend as many dragons at one time as you want, but if there absolutely must be a limit, ten within a week seems okay

Having to wait a year to be able to ascend your dragon only to have it fail for another year? Blech times ten.

Reason why I don't care if there's a limit - because it changes nothing. Freezing a hatchling frees up a spot on your scroll. If ascendeds don't have better BSA's or anything like that, there's really no in game reason to have a wait, that I see. I know everyone is treating this as a huge rite of passage, but what's wrong with twenty of your dragons gaining passing their test at once? Especially considering this game started back in - what, 2007? Almost four years/four years ago. That's plenty of time for those of us with older scrolls to have a truckload of dragons to have gone their their rite of passage. Why limit them now? ^^

Lotta good points, Sock. 'specially the Action vs. BSA thing and chance of failure.

I think that the benefits of the potion should be switched with the action itself.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by that.

And to give some perspective, it mighht make more sense for it to be a delayed action with it is going to have a cooldown.

Example:  A new 3 month old dragon has just gain the action to ascend.  Over a 1 month period after using your dragon will try and enlighten itself.  Exactly after a month has passed, it then either fails to complete is ascendtion or it succeeds.  Using this idea, the action itself becomes a cooldown at the sametime, and then you can add in all the other ratios and limits.

That is a very interesting idea! It's like you tell your dragon now go and enlighten yourself, and then it takes a long time trying. It's very flavourful, I like it!

6 month requirment seems way too long.

It seems the exact age requirement is really a matter of personal opinion, I think only a poll (as suggested before) will get us any further on that one.

EDIT: oops, I apparently missed a whole page.

The idea of an increasing success rate, starting very low at a certain age and then increasing with the age of the dragon certainly has potential too.

As for the need for a limit, Sock is right that if there is no gameplay advantage, there may be no need.

I guess there it is again a matter of flavour and personal interpretation of what 'ascending' is. If it is the dragon equivalent of graduating from college then I must agree with you. But for me it has always been more like for example (and please don't shoot me for using a religious comparison, it is the best one I can think of) a Buddhist reaching enlightenment after years and years of meditation and exercise. See the difference?

Edited by Fengari

Having to wait a year to be able to ascend your dragon only to have it fail for another year? Blech times ten.

Reason why I don't care if there's a limit - because it changes nothing. Freezing a hatchling frees up a spot on your scroll. If ascendeds don't have better BSA's or anything like that, there's really no in game reason to have a wait, that I see. I know everyone is treating this as a huge rite of passage, but what's wrong with twenty of your dragons gaining passing their test at once? Especially considering this game started back in - what, 2007? Almost four years/four years ago. That's plenty of time for those of us with older scrolls to have a truckload of dragons to have gone their their rite of passage. Why limit them now? ^^

I only meant a year till they are eligible to ascend, not waiting another year if you fail. After that, you can try as often as - well as often as you like, subject to cooldown etc.

I only meant a year till they are eligible to ascend, not waiting another year if you fail. After that, you can try as often as - well as often as you like, subject to cooldown etc.

Oh, yeah, sorry for the confusion. I meant I see some high chances of failure floating around. Considering that people have consistently been trying summon for a year now and still nothing? I just don't want the same thing with ascend. It's taken all the fun out of summon for those people, and it would do the same with ascend. ^^

~

Results of last poll:

How should a dragon ascend?

Through items;find and click. [ 11 ] [7.91%]

Through age. [ 70 ] [50.36%]

Through both. [ 37 ] [26.62%]

Other (explain idea in the thread). [ 6 ] [4.32%]

It shouldnt. [ 15 ] [10.79%]

Total Votes: 139

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Agreeing with everything Sock said, but do want to put emphasis on "If there ABSOLUTELY has to be a limit"

If there has to be a limit, how about a breed limit? Like, you have to have two adults before you can ascend, and once you get those two you could ascend them both if you wanted?

I think a limit of 3 months is good, but 6 just sounds way too long.

That is a very interesting idea! It's like you tell your dragon now go and enlighten yourself, and then it takes a long time trying. It's very flavourful, I like it!

Gotta express my distaste for this idea once again. I mean, we don't have to wait a few hours after selecting the breed action for our dragons to perform a mating ritual to know if they mated or not then another few weeks or months for the dragon to lay the eggs, so why should we do something like this for ascension? Why not instantaneous, like breeding?

Also, I agree with Sock on the limits thing--especially the stressing of limits only if ABSOLUTELY needed.

Yeah, I don't agree with the whole waiting-thing either. We don't wait when we breed, despite the fact that most "pregnancies" IRL need waiting. Why on earth would we have to wait after we select Ascend?

Too true. Also I would like to have a fog surround successful ascended dragons for a week - to show that they need time for the changes. (although it does kinda turn our dragons into butterflies - egg, caterpillar, pupa, butterfly.)

Gotta express my distaste for this idea once again. I mean, we don't have to wait a few hours after selecting the breed action for our dragons to perform a mating ritual to know if they mated or not then another few weeks or months for the dragon to lay the eggs, so why should we do something like this for ascension? Why not instantaneous, like breeding?

Also, I agree with Sock on the limits thing--especially the stressing of limits only if ABSOLUTELY needed.

Well it still adds up to your 5 month waiting delay, so i don't see a difference. Then again, it takes you around 8 days total to age to a dragon, you shouldnt just ascend in a tenth of a second.

I like the three months, five or six is a bit too long. Three months is a quarter of a year. Means a seasonal picked up and grown cannot ascend until the next season.

Also prefer instantaneous change. Breeding doesn't involve any waiting, summoning doesn't involve waiting, etc. Vamps bite an egg, we don't have to wait a day to see if the egg survived, or if one of our dragons ran off with it and dumped it in the AP. We know instantly, I don't see why we should include a delayed reaction with this.

I'm also of the opinion that ascended dragons should be able to breed/BSA/etc just like adults. You don't wait three months to retire a dragon into a wall fixture on your scroll. You opt to change their appearance, or opt not to change their appearance. There shouldn't be any drawbacks to the change.

Neutral on the failure rate, as that depends on the cool-down. Short cool-down, higher failure rate. Long cool-down, higher success rate. But neither like the GoN, as you are waiting three months to start with to ascend them.

And dragons should only be ascendable if/when artists have completed needed sprites. For those breeds that the artists do not want to ascend, or do not complete the sprites for, should not be ascendable, while not stopping those who do have completed sprites from getting the ascension option. Because there are some GORGEOUS sprites, and it'd be pretty unreasonable to expect every suggested dragon breed to have an ascended form ready too.

Not to mention that some artists are gone, taking the permission to create an ascended form for their breed with them.

I'm just going to throw in my two cents and say I'd prefer a long cooldown and a low failure rate.