Kirbyburn

Ascension

How should lineages work?  

726 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I agree that this is something that the Original Artists (or current owner of that dragon's design as per whatever request) would decide upon. Because we do "upgrade" sprites or "modify" them and its the artists (or admin choice if left to TJ to decide by others) and the players don't really get a say in that matter. And I totally am ok and respect that. So with regards to that being the case, I think it is really up to the spriters.

I know people have argued back and forth about lineages and such, but its already been decided if a spriter wants a change, or an upgrade is deemed due, it's going to happen. I know there are some spriters who may really would like to see their ascended dragon released. I know they created them, and maybe if they are older dragons they may need some "touch up" so they are to the standards those artists would want. I wouldn't put in something without the spriters current ok unless that's been deferred to TJ, which is kinda the same thing.

With that being said, I would like to probably hear from some of the spriters if this is something they do or do not want to see happen to their dragons if they created them. These days, I tend to think of "Ascension" as really the more powerful highly elemental dragons like GoNs, Avatars, whatever. Or any really magnificent artwork. Some of the artwork we have for just "normal" dragons, or their interesting breed descriptions or BSAs or in game magic make them so powerful that to "Ascend" beyond their current status would seem more akin to godmodding the universe. They would just be too powerful in the lore that has been set on which dragons are supposed to be "top tier".

So I guess I'd like to hear from them if they want this to be a thing or not. Because if the spriters have no interest at this time or in the future, then there really isn't a point to this thread existing. People can show support or not show support, but this is really gonna be an admin and spriters call, not the other way around. Not that player feedback isn't welcome. It's their artwork, and they get the say over that.

However, I don't think that should stop new artists and dragon concepts from using this as an idea and specifically putting in a mechanism for their dragon to "ascend". For example, Odeen's Celestials had a very new and interesting concept. I mean does that count as a BSA? Because it's really part of the dragon but is an action that only happens when put into effect manually by the player and has a cooldown period. So I guess if someone in the future "wants" this as an option, they shouldn't wait on the game to put it in. Just... add it as your dragon feature to begin with.

Cuz I think its nifty and would love to see some dragons with this ability, future or past. Let your mind run wild! And if you like this feature and seem disappointed it "isn't in game", then go create a dragon to put it in game (at least for them!). Maybe it will inspire others to do the same?

Edited by natayah

For the poll I'd say 'you cannot ascend dragons with a lineage or progeny'.

But I'm strongly against ascension especially for it being non-applicable to ALL dragon breeds - ascension should be either all or none.

and I'm against having no choice and having our dragons change by time too.

I'd say, let's focus on creating new breeds and polishing the below current standard sprtites instead.

Unless ascension would never ever change the sprites.

I think ascention should be optional (player would choose if he wants his dragon to ascend or not) and ascended dragons should still be able to breed (maybe lower success chance and multiclutches enabled?). I think it would be a good option due to the fact a lot of people don't like the idea because of the perspective of a dragon changing it's form the next time causing chaos in lineages etc.

For the poll I'd say 'you cannot ascend dragons with a lineage or progeny'.

But I'm strongly against ascension especially for it being non-applicable to ALL dragon breeds - ascension should be either all or none.

and I'm against having no choice and having our dragons change by time too.

I'd say, let's focus on creating new breeds and polishing the below current standard sprtites instead.

Unless ascension would never ever change the sprites.

Being too obsessive about the whole breed fairness thing when it comes to ascension means that it will never be implemented.

Be a bit realistic and consider the sheer impossibility to get every spriter to agree on one thing, let alone something significant that requires work from them and/or licensing another artist to do the work for them like all-breed ascension.

I agree. If we can eventually get all breeds an ascended form, that's great. But it's too unrealistic to expect all breeds to have an ascended form before it's ever released.

I can understand why it would be good to have it so that dragons that have offspring cannot ascend, but I think if that is the case it shouldn't take too long before a dragon is eligible to ascend. With a restriction like that, a lot of people are going to have to collect dragons specifically to later ascend them. Maybe 6 months?

I think ascended dragons should breed normally. About the only restriction I could see is to limit their breeding to only other ascendeds. I can see some great possibilities with ascended lineages, although they would take some time to build (another reason to not have too long before a dragon can ascend). And to me it doesn't really make sense that dragons that reached a more awesome form would suddenly lose fertility, either partially or completely.

Two ideas:

Make ascension like vampirism or zombifying. I.e. make it a stage with a sprite that covers all body types, instead of specific breeds. Less fun, but more realistic with less sprites/issues with spriters' consent.

And/or:

Make ascension only available with some kind of BSA like "Bless". Normal dragons cannot ascend. Only "blessed" ones, or whatever word you want to use. Only eggs/hatchies can be blessed, and this renders them infertile when they grow up, probably temporarily until they receive their "ascension" status and then they can be allowed to breed with whatever.

I thought the point was that ascended ones would be special and old and experienced and stuff ? But I would like it to be via a BSA if it ever happens (which I don't exactly support anyway) as I don't know that I want many of mine done. Lineage appearance and that !