Kirbyburn

Ascension

How should lineages work?  

726 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ascended dragons should still be able to breed, I would think .-.

Recap,

Basic: All dragons should have an ascend, excluding very rares,special releases, and misc(ex. no ascending leetle trees,chickens,dinos.).

Conditions:

1.Timed/age

2.Breeding(?)

3.# of Dragons

4.BSA uses

Info:

It should not require items. It should not be random or uncontrolabe. Wh There should not be a limit on how many dragons can ascend on your scroll.

Problems:

1.Breeding- w/ other ascends,regular, or not all

2.Cooldown- Breed Specific or for everyone. Also, length.

Anything i missed?

I highly doubt all dragons will have an ascend.

Many artists are MIA and without their permission the sprites can not be worked on for many of the species.

It's a lot of work to do up a sprite, and not all dragons have BSA's or Diphormism, not all need, or will have ascended sprites.

So asend should be for w/e we can get thats not something like a GoN.

Also should be an extreemly simply thing, else I doubt TJ will go for it.

Edited by Angziety

Oh, yeah, I forgot about limits. Ascending limited dragons does seem pretty dumb.

I still don't get why there needs to be a downside to ascending your dragons.

I would prefer an item to a cooldown or limit, when it comes to ascending. Cooldowns and limits make even less sense than items. I can almost buy having to buy a potion that ascends your dragon, but not being able to ascend one because you ascended a different one yesterday is nonsense. However, I would support the idea that only some dragons can ascend, although I'm sure other people would rather have more control over what their dragons can and can't do.

Meh potion seems to complicated.

I'm for the whole

"ohey you've had this dragon for X amout of time, now on it's action page it has an ascend option"

Potions add a whole 'nother level to this all, not to mention bought ones. We'd need a money system, an inventory system, etc.... so much bother for TJ. An Action would be enough.

Hmm...true. Simple is probably better. Basic 'chose to Ascend' option X period of time is probably best. If we want to add a potion, we can probably do it after the fact

I like the idea of an ascend option showing up after x amount of time. For whichever dragons artists want to have an ascended form. None for dragons with limits, though.

I'm iffy on the chance of failing. "Your dragon failed to get old!" After all, freezing doesn't have a chance of failing, does it? You can argue that you could try to ascend more than once, but I think it'd actually be fine with no chance of failure. :3

I'm also on the side of ascendeds not breeding. Mebbeh they're just not fertile, anymore, at that age. ;3

Hmm...true. Simple is probably better. Basic 'chose to Ascend' option X period of time is probably best. If we want to add a potion, we can probably do it after the fact

Yeah, this, with the potion's only upside being bypassing the time limit. This'd probably happen around when we get Hoarding, if ever.

I like the idea of an ascend option showing up after x amount of time. For whichever dragons artists want to have an ascended form. None for dragons with limits, though.

I'm iffy on the chance of failing. "Your dragon failed to get old!" After all, freezing doesn't have a chance of failing, does it? You can argue that you could try to ascend more than once, but I think it'd actually be fine with no chance of failure. :3

I'm also on the side of ascendeds not breeding. Mebbeh they're just not fertile, anymore, at that age. ;3

Well, I was under the impression that the ‘Ascended Form’ needed some sort of magical activation, that is difficult and has a chance of failure. The dragon could always attempt again, after a rest period. I just think it'll add an extra level of realism, and i don't think it would need to be anywhere near as difficult as getting a GoN or Magicarp badge.

...I'm on the fence about not-breeding. It does balance out a reason for not ascending all dragons (besides full sprite collection) and it would explain how you balance out the population with immortal creature.

That brings me to a point.

Is ascention soley going to be based on age, or should most dragons have age, with others having other options like traded as an egg, breed twice, has a silver in its lineage, has used X number of BSAs...

In my opinion, having different requirements would make it more unquie, and for a time, a challenge. But, it would be confusing and such.

No, I don’t like the idea of basing ascension abilities on something as subjective as lineages. What one person thinks is good in a lineage (pure bred, even gen, holiday dragons, etc0) another person won’t care about, and it’s unfair to force people to care about them. Besides, I don’t see how from an ‘in-game’ stand point mating with a silver or something would make you reach the ‘ultimate’ level faster.

... and after you enter and press submit, your dragon changes form and starts yelling at you to get off its lawn.

... and after you enter and press submit, your dragon changes form and starts yelling at you to get off its lawn.

Oh yes, then chases you around with a cane ;D

I fail to see how ascension would make a dragon unbreedable. As we'd established in the old thread, it's not something that should be associated with the connotations of weakness in old age. RP-wise, our dragons have unlimited lifespans and therefore their age is not relevant when it comes to the further development of adults. Ascension, therefore, is the process of reaching a new tier of power. Strength. Grandeur.

A stronger, more powerful dragon naturally makes a more attractive mate. If anything, they should mate more.

Edited by Lythiaren

Yeah I'm not too happy about the dragon becoming unbreedable. I'm real big with Lineages and breeding so I'm not too fond of having more unbreedable dragons on my scroll than necessary.

And like Lyth stated, why would ascending make a dragon unbreedable anyway?

I'd say it's based on the assumption that most creatures on Earth have only a section of their life as breedable, but I don't think this should apply to dragons. ^^

I assumed not breeding was some sort of trade-off between becoming more powerful: The dragon loses the ability to breed, but becomes more powerful/magically potent/what have you. I don't know, I guess I'm just used to everything having a 'necessary' drawback.

If it's hitting this much opposition however, I don't see why they shouldn't breed.

And I'll cast a vote for no items, while I'm posting.

Question: Should Halloween dragons be allowed to ascend since the two-per-scroll limit doesn't apply to them? Or should they remain as-is for the sake of simplicity?

I fail to see how ascension would make a dragon unbreedable. As we'd established in the old thread, it's not something that should be associated with the connotations of weakness in old age. RP-wise, our dragons have unlimited lifespans and therefore their age is not relevant when it comes to the further development of adults. Ascension, therefore, is the process of reaching a new tier of power. Strength. Grandeur.

A stronger, more powerful dragon naturally makes a more attractive mate. If anything, they should mate more.

I agree with this. I don't see why an ascended dragons should not be able to breed. Compare it to a deer for example. Young bucks can breed at a year and a half old, but they are smaller over all and have a smaller rack than an older, mature buck. An older buck (which is more attractive to the females) has a larger body, more muscle and a bigger, heavier rack. I would compare an ascended dragon to a animal in it's prime.

I hope you understand what I mean, I have problems fully explaining things sometimes.