Kirbyburn

Ascension

How should lineages work?  

726 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sock is now in charge of this OP. Please PM me or my confidant, Old Spice Man (posing as Angziety), for things you wanted done with the thread.

What is Ascension?

Its an action that lets your dragon "ascend" into a better dragon. It is another stage that adults would have the option of gaining. Ascending your adult dragon would change it into a new "older dragon" sprite.

Pretty much accepted trufax:

• Dragons we can only have limited numbers of won't get an ascended form.
  • There's no reason rares shouldn't get an ascended form if their artist wants to give them one.
  • Alts would ascend to the same form as the non-alts would.
  • Not all dragons need or would get an ascended form.
Here's a mock up, thanks to Old Spice Guy, of what the action would look like:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Once a dragon ascends, here's what happens:

• The sprite changes.
  • Would breed regular eggs, not ascended eggs.
Here are debates on what else should happen when a draon ascends:
  • Updated BSA and breeding stats or probabilities???????? (Not discussed yet, really.)
  • The dragon would become unbreedable?????????
How Would Ascension Work?

Here's some of the base conditions we were discussing on how this would be done (I think I got all the major ones):

1. Time
    1. 3 months
    2. 6 months
    3. 1 year
  2. Failure
    1. None
    2. Flat rate (~15% is what I'm seeing mostly; 85% success)
    3. Increasing rate or success (~50-75% of success and increasing ~5% is what I'm seeing mostly)
  3. Cooldown
    1. None/N/A
    2. Two weeks
    3. A month
  4. Limit
    1. None
    2. Five per week
    3. Ten per week
    4. Trophy based, like upcoming scroll limits
How we hashed these together:

Generally, the people who preferred shorter time also preferred no fail rate and no limits (or low limits).

Those who prefer longer time also preferred at least some kind of fail rate and some kind of limit and cooldown.

Nobody really wants a huge fail rate.

There was an idea on how potions could tie into this but the discussion got tied up in knots, so it has been tabled for now. If you want to discuss it, go support and hash out the hoarding suggestion, which is strongly tied into the potion idea here.

There was also an idea that we could somehow mix potions together with age, so that those who wanted to simply wait could do that and those who wanted to try a bit early could search around for potions and try those. That discussion is tabled with the potion discussion.

How Popular Is Each Choice?

Results of previous polls, to give an idea on what ideas were most popular:

How should a dragon ascend?

Through items; find and click. [ 11 ] [7.91%]

Through age. [ 70 ] [50.36%]

Through both. [ 37 ] [26.62%]

Other (explain idea in the thread). [ 6 ] [4.32%]

It shouldnt. [ 15 ] [10.79%]

Total Votes: 139

How long should dragons have to be an adult before they can ascend?

No time [ 1 ] [0.96%]

Less than a month [ 2 ] [1.92%]

1 month [ 4 ] [3.85%]

2 months [ 4 ] [3.85%]

3 months [ 8 ] [7.69%]

4 months [ 6 ] [5.77%]

5 months [ 1 ] [0.96%]

6 months [ 43 ] [41.35%]

7 months [ 1 ] [0.96%]

8 months [ 3 ] [2.88%]

9 months [ 2 ] [1.92%]

10 months [ 1 ] [0.96%]

11 months [ 0 ] [0.00%]

1 year [ 25 ] [24.04%]

More than a year [ 1 ] [0.96%]

Other [ 2 ] [1.92%]

Total Votes: 104

Should there be a failure rate?

No. [ 142 ] [52.59%]

Yes, as a flat rate. [ 84 ] [31.11%]

Yes, as a decreasing rate. [ 35 ] [12.96%]

Other. [ 8 ] [2.96%]

Total Votes: 269

Should ascended dragons have upped BSA's/breeding/anything (could just be one or more of these - please state)?

Yes; they are stronger, so it makes sense. [ 98 ] [46.23%]

Yes; I would like that. [ 19 ] [8.96%]

I don't know/I can't decide. [ 7 ] [3.30%]

I don't care. Either is fine. [ 28 ] [13.21%]

No; that's not fair. [ 14 ] [6.60%]

No; they should say the same for those that don't want them. [ 35 ] [16.51%]

They shouldn't even be able to breed/use BSA's/whatnot at this stage. [ 11 ] [5.19%]

Total Votes: 212

Should ascended dragons have upped BSA's/breeding/anything (could just be one or more of these - please state)?

Yes; they are stronger, so it makes sense. [ 98 ] [46.23%]

Yes; I would like that. [ 19 ] [8.96%]

I don't know/I can't decide. [ 7 ] [3.30%]

I don't care. Either is fine. [ 28 ] [13.21%]

No; that's not fair. [ 14 ] [6.60%]

No; they should say the same for those that don't want them. [ 35 ] [16.51%]

They shouldn't even be able to breed/use BSA's/whatnot at this stage. [ 11 ] [5.19%]

What perk/s should ascended dragons get?

Upped breeding success [ 4 ] [3.23%]

Upped BSA success [ 5 ] [4.03%]

Upped breeding & BSA success [ 9 ] [7.26%]

Shortened breeding cooldown [ 2 ] [1.61%]

Shortened BSA cooldowns [ 8 ] [6.45%]

Shortened breeding & BSA cooldowns [ 11 ] [8.87%]

Upped breeding success and shortened breeding cooldown [ 8 ] [6.45%]

Upped breeding success and shortened BSA cooldowns [ 11 ] [8.87%]

Upped BSA success and shortened BSA cooldowns [ 5 ] [4.03%]

Upped BSA success and shortened breeding cooldown [ 2 ] [1.61%]

Upped success and shortened cooldowns for both [ 10 ] [8.06%]

The sprite [ 38 ] [30.65%]

Upped breeding success and lower BSA success [ 0 ] [0.00%]

Uppbed BSA success and lower breeding success [ 4 ] [3.23%]

Shortened breeding cooldown and lengthened BSA cooldown [ 2 ] [1.61%]

Shortened BSA cooldown and lengthened breeding cooldown [ 5 ] [4.03%]

Total Votes: 124

^ Please note that the majority are for some kind of perk. "The sprite" option was added because after the majority of people had voted in the previous poll, it seemed lots of opinions had changed about perks. I may do this poll over without "the sprite" option for a fair view of the votes. ^

What If I Don't Want Ascension?

You're not alone. Some of the reasons brought up for not wanting ascension are:

• It could ruin lineages people are working on, if dragons in it get ascended.
  • Busy enough on DC without throwing ascension in.
  • Just don't want it.
I suggest still voting in polls, even if you don't want ascension. The polls are based on the assumption ascension will be implemented; voting will mean you get your voice heard and maybe you'll be able to live with ascension if it does get implemented.

HOW THIS THREAD WILL WORK

Keep in mind this epic cartoon that is full of trufax: http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20110323.gif

And this post full of trufax and Old Spice-y goodness:

Look at your argument. Back to mine. Back to yours, NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly it isnt mine. but if you stoped argueing around in pointless circles it could look like mine. Look down, back, up, where are you? Still reading these silly arguments untill your ideas are the only ones left. Back to mine what is it. Extreemly efective Logic. Look again, my argument is now diamonds.

Anything is possible when you realize TJ will pick his own way, anyway.

TJ tends to look at ideas and choose how to do them himself. This thread is to generate ideas for TJ to see and choose from. He may think of his own way.

In fact, we have a tendency to over think things and make them more complicated, when TJ prefers simple and often goes the simpler route. Case and point: rename. We were all discussing it as a limited action or BSA and he just plopped in an infinite rename feature. x3

Compromises and discussions and multiple ways are good. Bickering, arguing, and fighting are not.

Sock mod edit:

Yes, the old thread is still around, out of public view.

However, as such, I'm going to leave this thread open.

You guys can't see the old thread, which means you don't have a means to give input, anymore, which is sad, because the best ideas I've seen for this site have come from the members coming together on this board to hash out the idea.

So! If you have ideas on this (not for what the dragons should look like - we'll leave that up to the artists and give you all an awesome surprise), please feel free to post them here and hash out this idea. :3

Examples for ideas that could come up here: how to get to the ascended stage, when to get to the ascended stage, how would this affect BSA's or breeding, and etc.

:3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I was wondering where the old one went o_o

This is an idea I had, and I am not sure if it had been suggested before by someone else. The Ascend action could maybe have a chance to fail, giving you a message like this:

"Your dragon doesn't feel ready for this and runs away. Perhaps they need a little more time to think about it?"

Or something along those lines and then you just have to wait for the cooldown and try again.

Just to add some suspense and emphasize what a step this is for the dragon.

The old thread is now in the hidden artist section I'm sure, same with the "femme" thread. I would PM a help mod to be sure though.

I think the old thread was moved, not deleted, but idk for sure.

1. Should only one type of the same dragon be able to ascend per scroll.

2. Should they breed.

1. No. What's the point of ascension at all if you can only ascend one type?

2. Yes. I don't see why they shouldn't be able to breed. They'd likely only breed the non-ascended type anyway, so I see no harm in allowing them to breed.

The old thread is now in the hidden artist section I'm sure, same with the "femme" thread. I would PM a help mod to be sure though.

Okay.

I tried searching for it and didn't find it. There is another artist section besides "Dragon Requests" and so on? So, no normal members can view? or what? I'm not understanding.

The original thread was moved to the artist section.

For several reason

~ no progress

~ Lotsa spam

~ Tons of arguments going in circles

~ and last time a thread was moved from here to the artists section it did get done, eventualy.

So it's still around, just were fewer people can bicker over it, hopefully getting it done sometime in the next millenia.

I tried searching for it and didn't find it. There is another artist section besides "Dragon Requests" and so on? So, no normal members can view? or what? I'm not understanding.

There's a lot of this forum that we lowly members cannot see. There are special mod forums that only Mods can see, and special artist forums that only In-Cave artists (with the little pallets below their post count) and mods can see. That's where a lot of our holiday events, badges, etc originate.

Yes, the old one is still around, out of public view.

You guys can't see the old thread, which means you don't have a means to give input, anymore, which is sad, because the best ideas I've seen for this site have come from the members coming together on this board to hash out the idea.

So! If you have ideas on this (not for what the dragons should look like - we'll leave that up to the artists), please feel free to post them here and hash out this idea. :3

Examples for ideas that could come up here: how to get to the ascended stage, when to get to the ascended stage, how would this affect BSA's or breeding, and etc.

:3

EDIT: Saved post:

[color=#007fff][b]Sock is now in charge of this OP. Please PM me or my confidant, Old Spice Man (posing as Angziety), for things you wanted done with the thread.[/b][/color]

[b]What is Ascension?[/b]

Its an action that lets your dragon "ascend" into a better dragon. It is another stage that adults would have the option of gaining. Ascending your adult dragon would change it into a new "older dragon" sprite.

Pretty much accepted trufax:[LIST]
[*]Dragons we can only have limited numbers of won't get an ascended form.
[*]There's no reason rares shouldn't get an ascended form if their artist wants to give them one.
[*]Alts would ascend to the same form as the non-alts would.
[*]Not all dragons need or would get an ascended form.
[/LIST]Here's a mock up, thanks to Old Spice Guy, of what the action would look like:
[IMG=http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy326/Angzy/Ascend1.png]
[IMG=http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy326/Angzy/Ascend2.png]
[IMG=http://i804.photobucket.com/albums/yy326/Angzy/ascend3.png]

Once a dragon ascends, here's what happens:[LIST]
[*]The sprite changes.
[*]Would breed regular eggs, not ascended eggs.
[/LIST]
Here are debates on what else should happen when a draon ascends:[LIST]
[*]Updated BSA and breeding stats or probabilities???????? (Not discussed yet, really.)
[*]The dragon would become unbreedable?????????
[/LIST][b]How Would Ascension Work?[/b]

Here's some of the base conditions we were discussing on how this would be done (I think I got all the major ones):[LIST=1]
[*]Time[LIST=i]
[*]3 months
[*]6 months
[*]1 year
[/LIST]
[*]Failure[LIST=i]
[*]None
[*]Flat rate (~15% is what I'm seeing mostly; 85% success)
[*]Increasing rate or success (~50-75%  of success and increasing ~5% is what I'm seeing mostly)
[/LIST]
[*]Cooldown[LIST=i]
[*]None/N/A
[*]Two weeks
[*]A month
[/LIST]
[*]Limit[LIST=i]
[*]None
[*]Five per week
[*]Ten per week
[*]Trophy based, like upcoming scroll limits
[/LIST]
[/LIST]How we hashed these together:

Generally, the people who preferred shorter time also preferred no fail rate and no limits (or low limits).

Those who prefer longer time also preferred at least some kind of fail rate and some kind of limit and cooldown.

Nobody really wants a huge fail rate.

There was an idea on how potions could tie into this but the discussion got tied up in knots, so it has been tabled for now. If you want to discuss it, go support and hash out the [URL=http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=684&hl=hoarding]hoarding suggestion[/URL], which is strongly tied into the potion idea here.

There was also an idea that we could somehow mix potions together with age, so that those who wanted to simply wait could do that and those who wanted to try a bit early could search around for potions and try those. That discussion is tabled with the potion discussion.

[b]How Popular Is Each Choice?[/b]

Results of previous polls, to give an idea on what ideas were most popular:

How should a dragon ascend?
Through items; find and click. [ 11 ] [7.91%]
Through age. [ 70 ] [50.36%]
Through both. [ 37 ] [26.62%]
Other (explain idea in the thread). [ 6 ] [4.32%]
It shouldnt. [ 15 ] [10.79%]
Total Votes: 139 

How long should dragons have to be an adult before they can ascend?
No time [ 1 ] [0.96%]
Less than a month [ 2 ] [1.92%]
1 month [ 4 ] [3.85%]
2 months [ 4 ] [3.85%]
3 months [ 8 ] [7.69%]
4 months [ 6 ] [5.77%]
5 months [ 1 ] [0.96%]
6 months [ 43 ] [41.35%]
7 months [ 1 ] [0.96%]
8 months [ 3 ] [2.88%]
9 months [ 2 ] [1.92%]
10 months [ 1 ] [0.96%]
11 months [ 0 ] [0.00%]
1 year [ 25 ] [24.04%]
More than a year [ 1 ] [0.96%]
Other [ 2 ] [1.92%]
Total Votes: 104

Should there be a failure rate?
No.  [ 142 ]   [52.59%]
Yes, as a flat rate.  [ 84 ]   [31.11%]
Yes, as a decreasing rate.  [ 35 ]   [12.96%]
Other.  [ 8 ]   [2.96%]
Total Votes: 269

Yes; they are stronger, so it makes sense.  [ 98 ]   [46.23%]
Yes; I would like that.  [ 19 ]   [8.96%]
I don't know/I can't decide.  [ 7 ]   [3.30%]
I don't care. Either is fine.  [ 28 ]   [13.21%]
No; that's not fair.  [ 14 ]   [6.60%]
No; they should say the same for those that don't want them.  [ 35 ]   [16.51%]
They shouldn't even be able to breed/use BSA's/whatnot at this stage.  [ 11 ]   [5.19%]

Yes; they are stronger, so it makes sense.  [ 98 ]   [46.23%]
Yes; I would like that.  [ 19 ]   [8.96%]
I don't know/I can't decide.  [ 7 ]   [3.30%]
I don't care. Either is fine.  [ 28 ]   [13.21%]
No; that's not fair.  [ 14 ]   [6.60%]
No; they should say the same for those that don't want them.  [ 35 ]   [16.51%]
They shouldn't even be able to breed/use BSA's/whatnot at this stage.  [ 11 ]   [5.19%]

[b]What If I Don't Want Ascension?[/b]

You're not alone. Some of the reasons brought up for not wanting ascension are:[LIST]
[*]It could ruin lineages people are working on, if dragons in it get ascended.
[*]Busy enough on DC without throwing ascension in.
[*]Just don't want it.
[/LIST]I suggest still voting in polls, even if you don't want ascension. The polls are based on the assumption ascension will be implemented; voting will mean you get your voice heard and maybe you'll be able to live with ascension if it does get implemented.

[b]HOW THIS THREAD WILL WORK[/b]

Keep in mind this epic cartoon that is full of trufax: [URL=http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20110323.gif]http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20110323.gif[/URL]

And this post full of trufax and Old Spice-y goodness:

[QUOTE=Angziety,Mar 28 2011, 04:29 PM] Look at your argument. Back to mine. Back to yours, NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly it isnt mine. but if you stoped argueing around in pointless circles it could look like mine. Look down, back, up, where are you? Still reading these silly arguments untill your ideas are the only ones left. Back to mine what is it. Extreemly efective Logic. Look again, my argument is now diamonds.

Anything is possible when you realize TJ will pick his own way, anyway. [/QUOTE]

TJ tends to look at ideas and choose how to do them himself. This thread is to generate ideas for TJ to see and choose from. He may think of his own way.

In fact, we have a tendency to over think things and make them more complicated, when TJ prefers simple and often goes the simpler route. Case and point: rename. We were all discussing it as a limited action or BSA and he just plopped in an infinite rename feature. x3

Compromises and discussions and multiple ways are good. Bickering, arguing, and fighting are not.

[color=#007fff]Sock mod edit:

Yes, the old thread is still around, out of public view.

So! If you have ideas on this (not for what the dragons should look like - we'll leave that up to the artists and give you all an awesome surprise), please feel free to post them here and hash out this idea. :3

:3[/color]

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Hmm, how about this:

1) Dragons need to be a certain age in order to ascend. (If I remember the old ascended thread correctly, there were two ascended forms, ascended stage I (ASI) and ascended stage II (ASII)- or am I mixing things up again?) So, in order to ascend to ASI, a dragon would have to be at least one year old, and two years in order to ascend to ASII. (Just as an exampe, the actual time may vary.)

2) There is no guarantee of ascension. Maybe make it an action like the summon action that every dragon of the correct age can perform and that has a low chance of success to result in an ascension? Cooldown might be 1 week - or 1 day scroll-wide cooldown for each breed or some such. (Although I'd prefer that you get a guarantee of success after x tries. Summoning is pretty tedious if you try for a year and don't get a single GoN out of it.) So, maybe a chance of 2% that the action works the first time around, 4% that it works the second time, 6% for the third try...

3) No limit on the number of ascended dragons, please.

4) Ascended dragons can breed, but only un-ascended young dragons. (Maybe ascended x ascended pairs have a slightly higher chance to breed successfully because they are more mature?)

Why the age limit? Well, ascended dragons are supposed to be old, right? Plus, this mechanism would make the game more interesting for long-time players, add new sprites and give people something to do with their dragons but breed them.

Why as an action? I think that ascension shouldn't be automatic, but linked to some effort. (I mean, what would the magikarp badge be if you got it for the first splash? Pretty boring, I dare say.)

No limits? Well, why should there be a limit? As long as the dragon lives, it ages, grows and develops its powers. Besides, if there is one old dragon doesn't mean there can't be two or three old dragons of the same breed.

@ Olympe: I really don't like the idea of having two Ascended forms. It already takes a lot of time for the artists to make a single Ascended sprite, and there's already one for each gender of each breed (at least, if my memory serves me). I think if there's just one for each gender, it'll put less pressure on the artists and just make it more feasible to complete.

I agree that there shouldn't be a limit on how many dragons you can ascend, and giving a dragon a limit of time before it can attempt the process sounds good. A year seems a bit long, though. Maybe two/three months?

As for the method, I don't think automatic. Something should be required of the dragon and user, and the user should have a choice. I know the idea of an ascension potion has been thrown around (either found in the cave/AP like an egg, or now maybe in a similar method to the Festival Of Eggs) but I don't like 'instant ascension, just add potion'. Maybe they have to attempt some magical transformation, which any dragon can do, but an ascension potion improved the chances.

Edited by Completely Different

Ascending sounds nice to me, and interesting, but only if this dragon is still able to breed when he ascends.

Not that he gets retired or something for being on your scroll very long.

Honestly I don't think it should be automatic I think it should be if the user wishes to have them Ascend. I just got one question after they do that will they still be able to breed or no? But other than that as long as it's where the users can choose if they wish to have their dragon do it I'm fine. I wouldn't like all my dragons suddenly do that against my will really :/

You could make it a trade-off -- the ascended dragons can't breed (or can only breed with other ascended dragons). That gives a reason to keep some regular adults on the page.

You could have a scroll-wide cooldown on casting the Ascencion spell -- I can attempt to ascend one of my dragons every two weeks. Please with a reasonable success chance. Summoning is beyond annoying. After getting one GoN, I am hardly even trying for the second.

@ Olympe: I really don't like the idea of having two Ascended forms. It already takes a lot of time for the artists to make a single Ascended sprite, and there's already one for each gender of each breed (at least, if my memory serves me). I think if there's just one for each gender, it'll put less pressure on the artists and just make it more feasible to complete.

I agree that there shouldn't be a limit on how many dragons you can ascend, and giving a dragon a limit of time before it can attempt the process sounds good. A year seems a bit long, though. Maybe two/three months?

As for the method, I don't think automatic. Something should be required of the dragon and user, and the user should have a choice. I know the idea of an ascension potion has been thrown around (either found in the cave/AP like an egg, or now maybe in a similar method to the Festival Of Eggs) but I don't like 'instant ascension, just add potion'. Maybe they have to attempt some magical transformation, which any dragon can do, but an ascension potion improved the chances.

I also like the idea of making "Ascend" into a scroll option, but I think that success should be 75% to 100% for a two-week cooldown. (Honestly, if you use it once every two weeks with success and raise the maximum amount of dragons you can with the soon-to-be gold trophy limits, you can raise up to 49 dragons for each dragon you can ascend - that's quite a ratio of approximately 2% ascended dragons.)

I wasn't trying to make a case for different ascended stages, really. I seem to remember, though, that there were two, but I might be totally wrong. (I'm known to err occasionally, after all.) If there's "only" one stage, that's fine with me, and if there are more, that's fine with me, too. And if there won't be any, I won't complain, either.

Also, I think that two or three months are quite a short time for ascending, but that might be just me.

How about a different mechanism, though? A dragon tries to ascend as soon as it sires/lays its 10th (20th?) egg - but you can stop the process (as with pokemon evolving). wink.gif

I don't like the idea of the dragons ascending on their own. I also don't want to have to do a lot of things that involve mindless clicking to ascend my dragons (see: UniCreatures). Although, I do think ascension should be based on age; maybe a dragon has to be at least two months old before it will have the "Ascend" option?

I like the idea of an ascention object from a gameplay standpoint, but from an RP standpoint it just doesn't make sense. However, as usual, I am willing to throw RP out the window for the sake of a better game.

I say ascended dragons should still be able to breed. Well, in theory, I'd prefer it if only males were still able to breed (that's how aging works in mammals, anyway), but that would be a little silly from a gameplay perspective.

What do you guys think of leveled-up BSAs? Like, BSAs with a lower fail rate, or in the case of those that have no fail rate, all-around better results? Or a shorter cooldown, or one that can be applied in more circumstances. (I say in the case of Summon, you wouldn't get the level-up Summon until you have an ascended Magma, Ice, and Thunder, rather than just one ascended of the three.)

Speaking of Summons, can GoNs be ascended? (I'd support it, but as usual we're all at the mercy of the whims of the artist.)

I personaly wouldn't much like it if GoN's had an ascend.

You can only get two and for most people thats an adult and hatchie, addings a 3rd stage to them would be...yeah

Though so far I do like the time idea for ascension the best. A few months so you don't have to be super senior member to get them, with a chance of failure cause your dragon is a stuborn butt.

Loved how the ascension project was going. The sprites were absolutely beautiful, and I remember the red ascended version. Lovely! Just lovely!

While I don't like DC reds much, it has always been my D&D favorite dragon, and the ascended version was just how I portray reds.

Anyways, on topic;

I do not like the idea of ascending items. It's hard enough to gather eggs as it is, not to mention I'm just not really fond of adding more things to DC than it is right now. I mean, ok, we have leetle trees which are adorable, chickens, and dinos... I think that's enough, considering the game is about collecting dragon eggs, not "Collect whatever potion, magic scroll, magic staff, wondeful creature, whatever else you have in mind". I think adding items would complicate an otherwise simple, easy game for those busy ones like me and many others (specially adults, family people with kids, etc) that play this game.

It's hard enough to lurk the cave for hours every time you want to catch something special or rare. I don't need more difficulty added to it, because, as I've mentioned many times, due to lack of time I've given up on getting some CB rare eggs (which is a pity since I have a lovely white Dorkface that'd make a wonderful lineage with a silver or gold).

Not to mention, adding "ascension items" sounds too much like Thunder Stone to me. I mean, the Lugia joke kind of thing is ok, but having more Pokemon references... I don't know.

Also, the idea of it being uncontrolable does not appeal me either. What if I don't want to ascend my dragons? I should not be obligued to do so.

In my opinion, the best idea is the option one reaching a certain age, or a BSA one from certain common dragons. I can't imagine right now which one would be fitting (as magis are perfect for all spell things, but we've got Teleport on the work which is far more appealing to me right now). But one of these two would be nice.

Also, as for the cooldown, I'd make it a week. A week is an annoying enough time, and while I like the slowness of the game, and the little time it requires, I admit even the week cooldown for things like breeding (specially failed ones), for dragon growth, and so on, gets annoying at times.

The GON is WAAAAAY too annoying to get. I don't have any yet, and I've bee trying ever since it was released. I know it's supposed to be rare and so, but am I going to be the last DC person to get one as usual? I've tried every single trio on my scroll, and no luck yet.

So there, while I'd make it rather hard to get, I wouldn't make it SO hard as with the GON, and deffinitely the cooltime should not be two weeks, or month, or so.

Actually... perhaps we could max the success rate by adding a longer cooldown. I'd be ok with that, if the success rate is... for example, 90%, but it can only be done on 2 or 3 dragons at a time, with a cooldown of a month? Maybe something like vamps (if we make it a BSA for some dragon)?

I don't know, I'm just tossing ideas.

As for the ascension mechanism, I'm not too hot on the potion-only thing, since it would make it too easy if an item guaranteed it would work. Besides, if it were the only way to ascend, they would be in ridiculously high demand. I don't want this to have the same frustration level as summoning.

A potion that increased the chance of success, though, I could get behind. Since they wouldn't be mandatory, it wouldn't be such a big deal if they were rare. They'd just be handy for anyone lucky enough to grab one. As to obtaining them...I like the thought of finding them like the Easter egg drops. Finding them in the cave entrance would make them a little more sparse, but not impossible to find.

OR random idea, you get an option on your scroll to attempt making the potion yourself. With a reasonable failure rate, of course. (I don't know, it just popped into my head.)

Having it be mainly an action for the dragon would fit best. I think one of the suggestions from the old thread was having it be a rite of passage, or some sort of trial. I think that fits nicely. By extension, it should be an individual rather than scroll-wide cooldown. Some of us have big enough scrolls that that would make it take forever to make any progress.

A cooldown of one week if the success rate is low, or a two week one if it's easier sounds reasonable.

It should be available for dragons over a certain age. Two months sounds reasonable, since it requires some patience, but isn't so long that people get frustrated waiting.

As to breeding, I think there should be some sort of drawback. Ascended dragons should either not be able to breed, or only breed with other ascendeds.

And I'm all for special releases and GoNs not being able to ascend. With a limit of two per scroll, they're too rare to be messing around with.

tl;dr, I have a lot of two cents.

Agreed. Special releases shouldn't have the option because that'd be chaos. Either the limit would have to be raised, or you'd have to choose what to own. I don't see any reason for them to be ascended either, they're special as they are already.

I'd like an option that appears on the Actions page once the dragon reaches a certain age. No ascension forms for Rares, weird ones like dinos, special releases, etc.

Drawback... hrm...

I don't have any issue with ascended versions of silvers and golds. They were being worked on and looked pretty nice, at least better than the actual gold which is not... very appealing to my taste I must say.

The silver looked nice too, although I would have given it a slightly more venerable look.