MisaTange

Name Check Thread

I'm considering a new naming scheme with generation tags that are not too obvious, so I've started looking up numbers in different languages. I think there's nothing wrong with these, but double-checking never hurts, right?

Why? Do they have double entendre meanings or something?

Inappropriate names more refer to adult themes or profanity that should be censored.

Why? Do they have double entendre meanings or something?

I was trying to make sure they don't smile.gif So I assume everything's fine with these. Thanks, Sock!

Thanks for pointing me to the raffle Vhale, I'm aware of it but have way too many unnamed dragons at the moment.

I hate to bump a thread that seems abandoned, but there was a name I wanted to check and I'm not really sure how else to do so, other than PMing a mod and I feel like that would just be wasting the mod's time >.>

"I've Been Drunk For Three Days"

Would this be okay or not? I've actually censored this already as the original quote had "p censorkip.gif d" instead of "drunk", but I'm still not sure if it's okay.

How about names containing the "b-word"? I've seen it on a few dragons, but the term is censored on the forum.

How about names containing the "b-word"? I've seen it on a few dragons, but the term is censored on the forum.

If the term is censored on the forum, then it's not appropriate for the cave either.

That name sounds fine, and actually made me chuckle.

Thank you! smile.gif Just wanted to make sure before I use it.

And the context of the quote makes it a bit funnier (for me, anyway); the character says it just before the final boss. XP

Edit; OH WOW. It's already in use. dry.gif Not sure if it was already in use before I posted or if someone decided to steal it. Still, double spacing is a thing, thankfully.

Edited by CharonDusk

Is "Let's talk about sex" okay?

(Names containing the word "sex" have been considered acceptable before, but I'm wondering why it wasn't taken...)

I find this acceptable but would love to hear more opinions from other mods.

Would "ZUUL BEGORRAH ZUUL" be okay? The original quote has profanity so I went with a different version.

Would "ZUUL BEGORRAH ZUUL" be okay? The original quote has profanity so I went with a different version.

What do you think is inappropriate about this name?

Profanity is inappropriate. Replacing the profanity so it is not inappropriate is fine.

Begorrah is a stereotypical "Irish" term which is interchangeable with "By God!", with it being sometimes seen as offensive by some people, depending on the context (the original context of this quote was Nostalgia Critic's review of "Leprechaun"). That's why I was a little unsure.

It might seem silly, but I think it's better to ask than to simply use it and find out later that it wasn't acceptable.

Edited by CharonDusk

Is "Let's talk about sex" okay?

(Names containing the word "sex" have been considered acceptable before, but I'm wondering why it wasn't taken...)

Agree with Socks, it's acceptable.

Name of dragon: flowerets gay

Link of dragon: http://dragcave.net/lineage/j7gwt

Was a bit worried after I saw my dragon had so many clicks. I had named my Shadow walker dragons from a Poem called "The Reaper and the Flowers". That happened to be part of a sentence, in the context of the meaning "happy".

Just wanted to make sure this was alright

Name of dragon: flowerets gay

Link of dragon: http://dragcave.net/lineage/j7gwt

Was a bit worried after I saw my dragon had so many clicks. I had named my Shadow walker dragons from a Poem called "The Reaper and the Flowers". That happened to be part of a sentence, in the context of the meaning "happy".

Just wanted to make sure this was alright

Inappropriate really refers to adult themes or profanity. Neither gay meaning happy nor gay meaning attraction to your own gender is inappropriate. Flowerets gay is fine.

Inappropriate really refers to adult themes or profanity. Neither gay meaning happy nor gay meaning attraction to your own gender is inappropriate. Flowerets gay is fine.

Thankyou smile.gif

How do the mods feel about the word "Nazi?"

As in "Dr Baron von Nazi."

I'm fine with the word and the name choice.

It also depends on how its used in a dragon name, remember most members have a problem with a dragon named Hitler.

Other mods opinion might differ, if thats the case we will perhaps need a more in depth discussion.

I'm fine with the word and the name choice.

It also depends on how its used in a dragon name, remember most members have a problem with a dragon named Hitler.

Other mods opinion might differ, if thats the case we will perhaps need a more in depth discussion.

Thank you Z, I was hoping it would be okay, since the word wasn't being used in a problematic phrase or anything. (It is a Bond villain parody name, from a comedy thing, but that doesn't automatically make it non-offensive.) If any other mods think it is bad (or if anyone complains) I'll remove it.

... is Hitler not allowed, either?

Thank you Z, I was hoping it would be okay, since the word wasn't being used in a problematic phrase or anything. (It is a Bond villain parody name, from a comedy thing, but that doesn't automatically make it non-offensive.) If any other mods think it is bad (or if anyone complains) I'll remove it.

... is Hitler not allowed, either?

Hitler and Nazi are allowed in the technical sense of we won't ask you to remove them and your dragons won't be burned for having those names, but they are upsetting to a good number of people. I do not find them personally upsetting, but I am a gentile. If you must use them, you might think about only using them for dragons that you don't plan on breeding. In the past when a rather well-known user had a dragon named Hitler, we got reports on it every couple of weeks because the name did personally upset those folk.

Hitler and Nazi are allowed in the technical sense of we won't ask you to remove them and your dragons won't be burned for having those names, but they are upsetting to a good number of people. I do not find them personally upsetting, but I am a gentile. If you must use them, you might think about only using them for dragons that you don't plan on breeding. In the past when a rather well-known user had a dragon named Hitler, we got reports on it every couple of weeks because the name did personally upset those folk.

That sounds like a good, respectful solution. I will place my name on a frozen hatchling whose parents and ancestors are all owned by me.

Thanks, Z and Sock, I'm glad I can keep the name and also keep the peace smile.gif

That sounds like a good, respectful solution. I will place my name on a frozen hatchling whose parents and ancestors are all owned by me.

Thanks, Z and Sock, I'm glad I can keep the name and also keep the peace smile.gif

Thank you, understanding a wide variety of members feeling is oftentimes difficult. smile.gif

Name of dragon: oh lord jesus it's a fire

Link of dragon: http://dragcave.net/lineage/qSs2J

I'm quoting the 'ain't nobody got time for that' woman and thought it might be funny to name one of my dragons it but i'm worried it might be considered as profanity or offensive if taken the wrong way.

Thanks, Sock. smile.gif

Edited by lovecats99

Is "2016 sucked" okay? (I'm not sure how bad that word is.)

Edit: Thank you _Z_! smile.gif

Edited by Confused Cat