MisaTange

Name Check Thread

Dick is a common name. In Australia, we actually have an electronics store called 'Dick Smith' so I would hardly think that it's offensive in that context.

coltzen if Homo was offensive I don't think our species would be named Homo Sapiens :/

I have a question. I started a lineage called Brony, based on My Little Pony. Most of the names of the ponies in the show are cutsie names, some based on pastry names, etc.

My daughter and I both have accounts. We live in Southern California, but we are HUGE Anglophiles. One of our favorite puddings from England is called Spotted Dick. She wants to name her Brony dragons "Spotted Dick Brony' and "Treacle Tart Brony" which is another of our favorite desserts from England.

I told her I wasn't sure, because the word 'dick" has other connotations here. But since Dragon Cave is international, and it IS a legitimate dessert in England, may my daughter call her dragon that?

Please let me know. I did ask rubyshoes, she said it might not fly, but to ask here for another opinion.

I'd like to think it would be ok, because 'dick" is not a naughty word in England, there it is a common boys name. Then there is "willy", which DOES mean the male appendage in England, yet is a common name here.

AND.... 'Bloody" IS a swear in England, a bad one, and yet I see dragons with that in their name all the time. Might that not offend all those people in England that play here?

And then, there is the previous 'cock' argument at the beginning of this thread. Bottom line is, my daughter loves English desserts, and is a big Pony fan, especially Pinki Pie, who works in a bakery. She wants to name her dragons after her favorite desserts. I just want to make sure her dragons won't get killed if she does.

You all see what I'm getting at.

Fuzzbucket made a good point in the TLQ thread

You mean - you couldn't name a dragon for Dick Turpin ? Dick Tracey ? Dick Van Dyke ??

WEIRD...

(quote from fuzzbucket).

And since earlier in the thread, it says "cock" can be used, then I think "dick" should be ok as well, especially in the context of a dessert name.

Thanks. She did name them. I'm going to go register them now on the Brony Lineage thread.

And thank you again.

Dick is a common name.

Most of the previous listed names are acceptable. Please remember it is usually in the context you use the name in. If you are not sure, if it sounds dirty, if you wouldn't say it in public do not use it as a name.

Hey, I haven't got it on a dragon since I wanted to check first, but would "Dead Sexy in a Mini skirt" be deemed inappropriate? It's a joke within the anime community from something the voice actor for Edward Elric said when asked to say something nice about his character's nemesis in the show.

Thanks smile.gif

Edited by Wanderer

Hey, I haven't got it on a dragon since I wanted to check first, but would "Dead Sexy in a Mini skirt" be deemed inappropriate? It's a joke within the anime community from something the voice actor for Edward Elric said when asked to say something nice about his character's nemesis in the show.

Thanks smile.gif

_Z_ has said before that "sexy" is allowed. smile.gif So I'd think "Dead Sexy in a Mini skirt" would be fine.

Hey guys!

Do you think the name "Penetrate" is appropriate? I understand it has suggestive meanings, but I was thinking more of a weapon stabbing. I currently have it on a purple dorsal, but I am wondering if the fact that it wasn't taken means that someone went inactive or it was recently killed.

Penetrate is fine as long as it is not linked to any sexually descriptive words. blink.gif

I just got a 4th gen bronze tinsel from that one with the naughty F-word code, and want to name it accordingly.

I was thinking of the the name "WhatTheHell" but not sure it will fly. Please let me know. Thanks

Edited by Riverwillows

Thanks Z!

I also got the name Tardy today, I hope TJ doesn't think its a bad word. I know it means "late" but to some, a tard is offensive sad.gif

I picked up an egg with an amusing code. I don't know that i want to keep the egg, as the lineage is messier than I really want, but if I trade it, can I mention the word in the code or not? I may freeze it and just name it The Beetle, too. So, what's the word on the word?

(Thanks for the poke! Posting here so people can see a mod answered it. :3 )

Dung would be fine in a name. (I like The Beetle, lol.) =p

(Thanks for the poke! Posting here so people can see a mod answered it. :3 )

Dung would be fine in a name. (I like The Beetle, lol.) =p

Thank you, Sock!

lol

Do you guys think the name 'Cocky' is fine? I meant it in the arrogant way but I dunno if it would be considered offensive.

On the first page, cock (as long as it is not linked to any sexually descriptive words) was discussed and decided it was ok so cocky should be fine as well

On the first page, cock (as long as it is not linked to any sexually descriptive words) was discussed and decided it was ok so cocky should be fine as well

Woo, thanks!

Edited by Varekis

Name of dragon: Valdrin

Link of dragon: http://dragcave.net/lineage/MLKse

I tried to name him Valdrin but it won't let me? just gives me a warning about if the name is inappropriate what will happen. Why can't i name him this?

-changed to lineage link - ruby

Edited by rubyshoes

Name of dragon: Valdrin

Link of dragon: [view/MLKse[/url]

I tried to name him Valdrin but it won't let me? just gives me a warning about if the name is inappropriate what will happen. Why can't i name him this?

The name is probably taken if you can't put it in. I'd suggest another name.

Edited by rubyshoes

I just got a 4th gen bronze tinsel from that one with the naughty F-word code, and want to name it accordingly.

I was thinking of the the name "WhatTheHell" but not sure it will fly. Please let me know. Thanks

Why not name it "What The F-Bomb"? biggrin.gif

So why then did TJ once kill a chicken named "I Like Cocks"? (To be fair, he later revived it when the owner convinced him it was an honest mistake, as many German-English dictionaries give "cock" as the first and foremost translation of the German word for "rooster".)

I also have a question. Would it be okay to name a dragon something that is more than just a subtle hint towards sexual activities between two male teenagers? What about a different language (German)?

Edited by olympe

Some times it is not the name its self that is inappropriate, but what is added to the name that changes it to unacceptable. (As in "I Like Cocks".)

Re:

name a dragon something that is more than just a subtle hint towards sexual activities between two male teenagers?

Without knowing the name I can not give an answer, I would suggest pm'ing a mod first.

I've seen variations of both of those names on dragons, so I think they'd be okay.