MisaTange

Name Check Thread

So what about the dragon name "Orgy?"  I have a Valentine's dragon with a code really similar to it, like or4gy, and I thought it was fitting for a Valentine's dragon.  And you can have like, an orgy of gluttony or destruction or any other wild overindulgence.  But is the word offensive, by itself?  I don't want to risk losing my 2500 dragon names over just this one! 

On 1/26/2018 at 5:12 AM, Kelkelen said:

So what about the dragon name "Orgy?"  I have a Valentine's dragon with a code really similar to it, like or4gy, and I thought it was fitting for a Valentine's dragon.  And you can have like, an orgy of gluttony or destruction or any other wild overindulgence.  But is the word offensive, by itself?  I don't want to risk losing my 2500 dragon names over just this one! 

I think that's fine.

Okay, so. I just was gifted a pink whose parents' names are I Touch Eggs (the pink parent) and Fluffbutts (Soulstone parent). Looking at this, I had an instant, totally immature urge to name the baby "I Touch Butts". Over the line or can I indulge my childish glee? :P

1 minute ago, Lurhstaap said:

Okay, so. I just was gifted a pink whose parents' names are I Touch Eggs (the pink parent) and Fluffbutts (Soulstone parent). Looking at this, I had an instant, totally immature urge to name the baby "I Touch Butts". Over the line or can I indulge my childish glee? :P

That seems A-okay to me. But I'm also a child at heart XD

On 1/26/2018 at 6:12 AM, Kelkelen said:

Yes, that's fine. Just don't use the term in a sexual way. Also, we would never wipe names for having 1 bad name; that's a bit excessive.

12 hours ago, Lurhstaap said:

That's fine. Sounds like Finding Nemo to me. Harmless and cute.

Any mods wanna agree/refute this?

Hooray! XD I figured it was probably OK because my own inner reaction to the idea DEFINITELY involved my inner five-year-old and a lot of unmanly giggling. However, it could be potentially interpreted sexually, so I wanted to be sure. For myself, ihe part of me that is still in roughly about second grade is the part that wants to do this, no question. XD

This mod will +1 "I Touch Butts". I did think of Finding Nemo when I read it. :lol: 

Could I get a ruling on "Magic Bud"?  It's from the parents' names, but I realize it could be thought to reference something else.

10 hours ago, prpldrgnfr said:

Could I get a ruling on "Magic Bud"?  It's from the parents' names, but I realize it could be thought to reference something else.

No, that's fine. Bud also means flower, not just alcohol.

36 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

No, that's fine. Bud also means flower, not just alcohol.

Thank you, it's not just alcohol I'm worried about, it could also be perceived to be referencing marijuana, and I know that's a no-no. too.

19 minutes ago, prpldrgnfr said:

Thank you, it's not just alcohol I'm worried about, it could also be perceived to be referencing marijuana, and I know that's a no-no. too.

Really? I haven't heard that one yet. Either way, my first impression was flower, so I think you're good to go :)

9 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

Really? I haven't heard that one yet. Either way, my first impression was flower, so I think you're good to go :)

Awesome, thank you again, a flower dragon *is* what he's partly named for, his momma is a Rosebud!

Is Panama Disease okay? It's a disease/fungus which affects bananas so I thought it would go well with a Black Tea but I was worried someone might take it the wrong way. Thanks. :) 

Edited by lovecats99

On 2/4/2018 at 2:31 AM, prpldrgnfr said:

That's fine, but I don't think Bud Light is very magical. XD (Nah, I know what you mean). 

58 minutes ago, lovecats99 said:

Is Panama Disease okay? It's a disease/fungus which affects bananas so I thought it would go well with a Black Tea but I was worried someone might take it the wrong way.

I don't see why that would be a bad name at all. 

15 hours ago, Wiz said:

I have a dragon with naughty coded parents. His name is not rude in itself but does sort of reference the parents codes. Is it okay?

https://dragcave.net/lineage/PCotc

I don't think there's anything wrong with that name. It's a funny reference, actually XD

I have a dragon with this code- https://dragcave.net/lineage/KkK94, and was thinking of making some reference to the code in her name, but I understand how that could be problematic so I was wondering where the line is on that. Should I avoid a direct reference to the group?

8 hours ago, Silvynx said:

I have a dragon with this code- https://dragcave.net/lineage/KkK94, and was thinking of making some reference to the code in her name, but I understand how that could be problematic so I was wondering where the line is on that. Should I avoid a direct reference to the group?

Well...I think you could get away with a reference to her code, like using a three word name and starting all with K. Or maybe a silly name pointing out how horrifying/wrong/etc. her code is (like this dragon). That would be pretty subtle but still establish the point. But something specific bout the Ku Klux Klan or racism is a big no no.

I have a couple of KKK code dragons myself. (I'm always looking for XXX, but noooo, not one, yet I have TWO KKKs.) One of them is a Pillow, of all things. Despite how horribly tempted I was to name it Fluffy Hitler, I refrained. But boy was I tempted. :P I settle for breeding the two together and just letting their creepy, awful codes speak for themselves.

Edited by Lurhstaap

I named a Valentine "Some Afternoon Delight"

"Afternoon Delight" was taken.

https://dragcave.net/lineage/SQB9g

From the same song--would things like Skyrockets in Flight etc. be o.k.?

The only line I think would be inappropriate is about sticks and stones.

What do you all think--Some Afternoon Delight o.k.?

ETA:  the "some" part made me nervous.  I just changed it to o Afternoon Delight o

Edited by Brekke

@Brekke you should be fine. I’m guessing you’re worried because the song in question has naughty bits or something? Since it’s not the naughty bit itself it’s no problem.

Going to ask myself in an abundance of caution, but are names that reference alcohol (Drunk Shrimp, Tequila Fantasy, Ballad of Beer) ok?

Hello! I have a few names to run by you.

Is "Tir Ho" okay? Because of the "Ho" part I was worried. But it's referencing a Suikoden character, Tai Ho.

Is "Sleeping Off Inebriation" okay? Implied drunkenness is iffy. I actually had this name for a few weeks before I realized it could be bad.

I have a dragon with the code fTM5w (FTM=female to male) which I named "Transgemder", as a pun since it's a shiny Heartstealing. Is this okay?

Oh, and asking for future reference: How are the words Autism / Autistic? I picked up aU2SM recently, but haven't thought of a good pun or anything yet. I'm autistic myself so I'm not gonna use it in a derogatory way, but I know many people do. I hope it hasn't landed on the blacklist just because of ill-mannered misuse.

Thanks!

Edited by FullmetalTriforce

I named one of my dragons "Jaraca".

https://dragcave.net/view/JwgQv

I just liked the sound of it, but recently googled it. Obviously, it's a place in Croatia, but, according to the Urban Dictionary, it's also a word for weed (it also happens to be a flower shop in Madrid :lol:).

Now, I'm not a native speaker, so I'd like to know if the drug reference is something that would immediately be perceived by a native speaker, because then I wouldn't like to keep the name.