MisaTange

Name Check Thread

I'm a Troper, so I've got some. (Don't click anything on that page if you aren't prepared to read a lot.)

How about "Death by ____", "Kill the ____", or anything with "Hitler"?

Unless it's "Kill the Jews" or "Kill the Gays" or some such, I can't see those being inappropriate.

Although we've had users come to us over dragons named "Hitler" or something with Hitler in it, we've never deemed those inappropriate, as it's just a name.

However, do be careful with context. :3

I have seen so many misspelled and often therefore non appropriately named dragons, when it comes to other languages than English, I think that any names should be accepted.

How do you know that someone does not name their dragon "Kill ....." (whoever) in Hindu, Chinese, Norwegian or whatever language?

I have seen so many misspelled and often therefore non appropriately named dragons, when it comes to other languages than English, I think that any names should be accepted.

How do you know that someone does not name their dragon "Kill ....." (whoever) in Hindu, Chinese, Norwegian or whatever language?

Maybe the names should all be in English. I know I've found some names when reading descriptions that "such and such" means "such and such" in English, but when I look it up, I find they are wrong.

I was thinking of using some song lyrics for one of my dragons and am worried that some may take it the wrong way so I ask:

Is naming my White Dragon "I'm no son of your God" going to get me in trouble?

Unless it's "Kill the Jews" or "Kill the Gays" or some such, I can't see those being inappropriate.

Although we've had users come to us over dragons named "Hitler" or something with Hitler in it, we've never deemed those inappropriate, as it's just a name.

However, do be careful with context. :3

Alright, thanks much! smile.gif Glad the name itself isn't banned.

The name is already used.

Male chickens are primarily known as cocks.

Three months late on reply, but yeah-- that's what I was going for, and Cock is indeed mine =P She may not be a rooster in form, but she is in mind.

Or something like that.

I've since obtained a few more dragons whose names have worried me, but I figure even the most fickle of people wouldn't be offended. I mean, nothing's wrong with Herpes, right? Right!

Is naming 12 dragons, Death Shadow 1, Death Shadow 2, and so on acceptable? I actually named up till 9 before wondering if "Death Shadow" is an acceptable name.

Thanks

Edited by saerider

Saerider, I think Death Shadow should be fine.

Kaoto, I'm not sure about yours. There is a dragon named No God, so something like that has been done before, so I think it should be okay. I would wait for a second opinion, though.

Um...what about a pair named '(Racism, ableism, etc.) is---' and '---horrible?' I kind of want to do this whole personal lineage thing where all the children are named an adjective, but I'm not sure if it'd be appropriate...

Edited by stogucheme

Stogucheme, there is a dragon out there named Racism already, and other variations of the word, so it should be okay, so long as you are not singling out specific ethnicities, animals, or something else inflammatory in the naming.

Stogucheme, there is a dragon out there named Racism already, and other variations of the word, so it should be okay, so long as you are not singling out specific ethnicities, animals, or something else inflammatory in the naming.

Thank you so much! I'll get to naming, then.

Would "Bringer of Hell" work? Otherwise, I will change what I will name my hellfire to "Bringer of Death/destruction.

I'd like to ask a question about just what is thought to be 'swearing' for names. Is the word 'damned', 'damn' or 'dam' ' allowed? After all it IS just a shortened form of condemned. Rhett Butler was even allowed to use it in the 1930's movie.

I always thought it was only when used along with the name of a Deity that it became profane. For instance, my grandparents - both very religious, proper people had a cat that Grampa named "Dammukit" because as a kitten, Grampa was always yelling, "DAMN you cat!" Is that word considered improper here?

ETA: I posted this just to see, and 'damn' isn't filtered out like the hardcore just crass words are.

Edited by Ayelldee

ghb523, Bringer of Hell should work. I just did a search and found both Hell and Hell Bringer.

Ayelidee, context is important when thinking about any swear word, because Hell and damn aren't swear words unless used a certain way. There are a number of dragons with the word "damn" in their name, and it's used in a swearing context, so damn should be okay.

Let's welcome DragonGirl10188 to the Name Checkers list!

Erm, I don't quite understand the form thing, but is naming my dragon Margarita okay? It's latin for pearl, and combined with her surname Aequoreus, her name means "Pearl Belonging to the Sea". I know a margarita is also an alcoholic drink, so I wasn't sure if it's approproate.

Erm, I don't quite understand the form thing, but is naming my dragon Margarita okay? It's latin for pearl, and combined with her surname Aequoreus, her name means "Pearl Belonging to the Sea". I know a margarita is also an alcoholic drink, so I wasn't sure if it's approproate.

And a flower too, so I don't see why it should be wrong. smile.gif

Bringer of Hell

'damned', 'damn' or 'dam'

Margarita

All are acceptable names.