Sandface

What kind of computer do you have?

I've got a dark red HP laptop. I only got it like four days ago, so I'm still adjusting to it. It is a big improvement to my old laptop though, which was a 6 year old HP laptop with so much wrong with it that it would be easier to list what wasn't wrong with it.

It is, yes. Thing is mine isn't the only PC in the house. My other half's PC has an identical graphics card in it, but requires upgrading pretty soon. So in the next couple of months there's going to end up being two of those 260 graphics cards in my PC biggrin.gif

I've always heard Crossfire and SLI suck.

Actualy there's also one of those in said other half's PC. We've not found it to be much better than the Western Digital Raptors we've usualy been using, and they're a lot more expensive (or, at least, were at lot more expensive last time I rebuilt). So it seemed a little pointless to me. Better things to spend my money on. Besides, I benchmark quite well for disk transfer speed, so I'm not that worried about it smile.gif

Well, I am just talking about a boot drive here. Prices and sizes are totally different than say in 2009. The WD Raptors are good, though.

Incidently, and rather amusingly, unless you've got a 64bit operating system running windows will only be using 4gb of that. That's the limit on the 32bit operating systems - doesn't matter how much you have installed in the PC, 4gb is all it will use.

Who uses all their 4 GB's anyways?

I've always heard Crossfire and SLI suck.

Wouldn't know about Crossfire (haven't used AMD chipsets in a loooong time) but we'd had SLI running without a hitch when we first got the cards (installed them both into the same PC for a couple of days to see how it went). Works best with matched cards, though, otherwise the faster one essentialy gets held back to the speeds of the slower one. You also need a special bridge if you're going to be trying it with high-end graphics cards, otherwise, again, it suffers form performance issues.

Well, I am just talking about a boot drive here. Prices and sizes are totally different than say in 2009. The WD Raptors are good, though.

I figured. But why pay £160 for a 120gb solid state drive when I can get a 150gb WD Velociraptor for £100? Especialy given that the read time still isn't vastly different.

Who uses all their 4 GB's anyways?

Depends on what you're running. I've seen the little RAM 'rev' counter on my sidebar peak a few times. Normally when I've got one game desk-topped and am running another at the same time, though (happens more often than you'd think, too)

I build my own wink.gif

Current machine is in a LanCool DragonLord series case, with a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R motherboard, an Intel core i7-920 processor, 6gb of RAM and an XFX GeForce GTX 260 graphics card. I also have two harddrives, both Western Digital, a 150gb boot drive and a 500gb storage & games drive.

Plus Dell? *shudders* Nightmares to try and fix. Takes hours longer than it should do because Dell make their own componants and add all sorts of pointless bits onto them.

Edited to add: OS is Windows Vista Ultimate Edition.

Woah! You actually built our own computer? That's amazing. ohmy.gif

Wouldn't know about Crossfire (haven't used AMD chipsets in a loooong time) but we'd had SLI running without a hitch when we first got the cards (installed them both into the same PC for a couple of days to see how it went). Works best with matched cards, though, otherwise the faster one essentialy gets held back to the speeds of the slower one. You also need a special bridge if you're going to be trying it with high-end graphics cards, otherwise, again, it suffers form performance issues.

I've never tried either, but I do find it quite funny when some person goes on a computer forum and complains about either of them. *shrugs* Isn't overclocking enough?

I figured. But why pay £160 for a 120gb solid state drive when I can get a 150gb WD Velociraptor for £100? Especialy given that the read time still isn't vastly different.

What's their sequential read/write speeds? I just checked SSD's with 60-120 GB and they range towards the mid 200's. That's already almost pushing last SATA standards. Their seek times are also much less, and they perform much, much more IOPS (forgot the significance of that). It's been a long time since I've looked at that stuff.

I'm sure there's a program too somewhere that deals with the registries, so you can just keep transferring current games you're playing to the SSD and back again. That lessens the significance of how big it is.

Like all dinosaurs, the raptors are going extinct. laugh.gif I've seen a 600 GB one (Utah Raptor laugh.gif ), but those 1GB+ Black Caviars are pretty good in comparison, since they've got huge platters.

Depends on what you're running. I've seen the little RAM 'rev' counter on my sidebar peak a few times. Normally when I've got one game desk-topped and am running another at the same time, though (happens more often than you'd think, too)

lol I would never do that.

Woah! You actually built our own computer? That's amazing.  ohmy.gif

It's like putting legos together. You're just putting parts together.

Just noticed... where's your guise's Window's Experience? Here's mine. Don't cheat either. tongue.gif

I should of had a 5650 card, but Dell was basically false advertising in the outlet for months, since the M5010 can't have that configuration. I got stuck with the 550v. Oh well, at least I can get close to the 5650 stock.

user posted image

Edited by Alpha1

I've never tried either, but I do find it quite funny when some person goes on a computer forum and complains about either of them. *shrugs* Isn't overclocking enough?

Sometimes it's about doing it because you can wink.gif

What's their sequential read/write speeds? I just checked SSD's with 60-120 GB and they range towards the mid 200's. That's already almost pushing last SATA standards. Their seek times are also much less, and they perform much, much more IOPS (forgot the significance of that). It's been a long time since I've looked at that stuff.

Well my boot drive is one of these, which has a seek time of 4.2ms. Can't be arsed to look up the rest of the info on it at this time of the morning, and I've not had enough coffee yet to be able to remember it!

I'm sure there's a program too somewhere that deals with the registries, so you can just keep transferring current games you're playing to the SSD and back again. That lessens the significance of how big it is.

I have to say I'd probably find that too fiddly. You're speaking to the person that hates having to run games from disks, or change disks during play here!

Like all dinosaurs, the raptors are going extinct.  laugh.gif I've seen a 600 GB one (Utah Raptor  laugh.gif ), but those 1GB+ Black Caviars are pretty good in comparison, since they've got huge platters.

Yeah, nice play on words mate wink.gif But the Raptor HDs are pretty damned good still, and they last for an absolute age.

Just noticed... where's your guise's Window's Experience? Here's mine. Don't cheat either.  tongue.gif

I should of had a 5650 card, but Dell was basically false advertising in the outlet for months, since the M5010 can't have that configuration. I got stuck with the 550v. Oh well, at least I can get close to the 5650 stock.

Bit pointless showing you mine - I'm running Vista still and the Experience Index on that maxes out at 5.9.... which I've got across the board. Although interestingly the Vista one doesn't list what your componant is, but what's it's actualy rating about that componant. Caluculations per second, memory operations per second, disk transfer rate etc.

Aaaaand now you see why we don't deal with Dell wink.gif We buy parts from Overclockers (the site I linked earlier) and Novatech.

Edited to add: Yeah, building your own PC isn't rocket science, it's just a bit fiddle. Especially if you drop one of those tiny screws somewhere.... I really would suggest getting a modular power supply to anyone thinking of building one, though. Makes the whole case a lot tidier when you haven't got excess wires all over it!

Edited by TikindiDragon

Btw, War, why didn't you get the 1GB version? That's the sweet spot.

The 768 mb version was on sale for about 50 bucks off, and it would've been an additional 30 dollars or so, and that was money I just didn't have. Besides, it runs everything I own currently on highest settings with more than 30 fps (most games run between 40 and 60, depending on age), so I don't need any more.

Sometimes it's about doing it because you can wink.gif

In your case, you'd just be utilizing one you already have. So yeah, more power to you.

Well my boot drive is one of these, which has a seek time of 4.2ms. Can't be arsed to look up the rest of the info on it at this time of the morning, and I've not had enough coffee yet to be able to remember it!

SSD's have seek times of 0.1 ms. lol

I have to say I'd probably find that too fiddly. You're speaking to the person that hates having to run games from disks, or change disks during play here!

Maybe so. I don't jump from game to game frequently. I use ISO's and stuff out of thin air.

Bit pointless showing you mine - I'm running Vista still and the Experience Index on that maxes out at 5.9.... which I've got across the board. Although interestingly the Vista one doesn't list what your componant is, but what's it's actualy rating about that componant. Caluculations per second, memory operations per second, disk transfer rate etc.

Windows 7 does the same thing. I just took a screenshot of the "view and print detailed performance and system information" page.

Windows 7 goes up to 7.9 I believe.

Aaaaand now you see why we don't deal with Dell wink.gif We buy parts from Overclockers (the site I linked earlier) and Novatech.

I would have probably got my laptop refurbished from TigerDirect (can't remember if they had CA state tax -- I don't think so), but alas, Bing Cash is gone! That knocks off 15% right off the bat.

Dell was still the cheapest (notwithstanding some very, very short deals on Newegg) even considering that I only got a 550v for the purchase. Still, ticks me off that refurbished LCD screens with 15 inches or over are given a fee in CA at $15 or so on top of an almost 10% CA sales tax. I got it for $590 (tax included and with Peacock Blue) in the outlet vs. $950??? on Dell's site. Refurbished always wins.

One other thing that sort of irked me was the fact that everyone else can boost their Turions and stuff, but I can't do so with the N930. Apparently AMD did something, so the clocks are generated at the SB. Looks like I was an early victim of an anti-overclocking campaign. Sucks. The N930 runs cool under stress in comparison to others.

The 768 mb version was on sale for about 50 bucks off, and it would've been an additional 30 dollars or so, and that was money I just didn't have. Besides, it runs everything I own currently on highest settings with more than 30 fps (most games run between 40 and 60, depending on age), so I don't need any more.

Ah, that makes sense. I'm satisfied with the 550v, and it's not even close to yours.

It is, yes. Thing is mine isn't the only PC in the house. My other half's PC has an identical graphics card in it, but requires upgrading pretty soon. So in the next couple of months there's going to end up being two of those 260 graphics cards in my PC biggrin.gif

We build PCs to last in this house. My previous one ran four years worth of top of the line games with only minimal upgrades. I've had this one for about a year, I'm expecting it to be at least another two before I really need to invest in it again.

Actualy there's also one of those in said other half's PC. We've not found it to be much better than the Western Digital Raptors we've usualy been using, and they're a lot more expensive (or, at least, were at lot more expensive last time I rebuilt). So it seemed a little pointless to me. Better things to spend my money on. Besides, I benchmark quite well for disk transfer speed, so I'm not that worried about it smile.gif

Incidently, and rather amusingly, unless you've got a 64bit operating system running windows will only be using 4gb of that. That's the limit on the 32bit operating systems - doesn't matter how much you have installed in the PC, 4gb is all it will use.

That's probably because it's 64 bit (which I checked in advance). It would be a waste producing laptops incapable of using its own RAM tongue.gif And besides, I like the 64 bit Photoshop for exactly that RAM usage smile.gif. Except it's got 1000gb of storage that I'm never going to use up. :s

Edited by DarkEternity

Custom Assembled here,

AMD QuadCore 2.0GHz Processor.

GeForce GTX 460 GPU

4 Gigs of Ram

Seagate 1TB hard Drive

Motherboard: Unknown

I just got the parts and slapped them together.

Its easy, really.

My self-assembled desktop is:

Case: Cooler Master Ammo 533

Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E 2PCI SLI CrossFireX SATA3 USB3

Graphics card: nvidia geforce 8800GT(two of them)

Ram: 4GB DDR3

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB

HD: 2TB + 250GB

My boyfriend is building a mini gaming computer. The parts should be here in a few days. I'm excited to see how it turns out!

Edited by Syaoransbear

Sony Vaio laptop.  biggrin.gif

/loves the lack of macs in the thread so far

I've never understood why users of different OSes seem to like hating each other so much. I loved my last decent laptop- a Sony Vaio, running Windows XP- when I was using it, and I love my Mac now. Would be willing to try anything else if someone would teach me, too.

- - -

MacBook Air 13", 4 gigs RAM, 128GB SSD, Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz, OS X Snow Leopard

The specs were utter c*** even for the discounted price, I'm still keeping an older laptop around for the optical drive and several external HDs because 128GB is tiny, it's lacking lots of useful ports, I can't take it apart, and this thing inexplicably can't catch eggs on DC. I would not recommend that most people get this computer. But I'm not a gamer or a video editor or a tech geek and I don't really need more than I have. The details I feel daily are great.

The SSD and the trackpad make every other computer I've used feel unresponsive. The (lack of) weight and the weight distribution make even netbooks feel too heavy. Everything integrates, the UI finally makes sense to me, and it does everything I need it to without freezing every few days smile.gif /is a happy camper

Edited by kadoatie

Currently on a Acer Aspire 5745G, i7-740QM 1.73GHz, GeForce GT 420M, 4GB RAM. Not the best, but beats my old, aged HP by a mile.

personally I wouldn't get a mac, not so much because I dislike the OS but because I dislike Apple. >_>

I've never understood why users of different OSes seem to like hating each other so much. I loved my last decent laptop- a Sony Vaio, running Windows XP- when I was using it, and I love my Mac now. Would be willing to try anything else if someone would teach me, too.

I don't hate the users, I hate the OS. Personally I want Linux, but my parents said no to that idea.

I won't go into detail, because it would probably turn into about a page of complaints about Macs and I don't really want to start debating it like usually happens when it's brought up, so I'll leave it at: I have reasons not to like Macs.

I currently have a 3-year old Windows Vista.

I know that people hate Vistas, because they experience loads of trouble with them, but I've been pretty lucky. Except for the time it crashed. But it was repaired eventually haha.

Aw man all this computer-talk above is hurting my brain *_* I wish I could contribute but what it is I don't even...

I have a two year old HP Pavilion Slimline. It has a Athlon Dual Core Processor 5400 and 4 GB RAM. I have Vista on it and haven't had any problems with it.

I have an Hp downstaris which Im using right now. And a mac upstaris but we need to get a new one :V

Apple Macintosh Mini with an Intel Duo Core. I got this one a little while ago (when I got it, this had recently hit the market!) when my old computer started overstressing and dying. It was another Mac Mini, but a really old one without a core. But this thing is beautiful. happy.gif

~Cavey