Ext3h

Dragon journal

In my opinion, there should be some kind of journal linked on your scroll where every event is tracked, e.g. when:

• Collecting an egg
  • An egg hatches
  • A hatchling grows
  • A new egg is bred
  • A dragon was abandoned
  • A dragon died/was killed
  • A dead dragon was revived
  • A egg or hatchling turned into a different species (vampire, neglected)
  • Two dragons refused to breed
  • A BSA was used (including the information WHO the BSA was used on)

The owner of the scroll should be able to determin weither the journal ist visible to other players or not, as well as filter options. Pagination should be used for longer journals. The journal should be either unlimited in size or at least 2 months in case of space problems. Users should be able to either disable or reset the journal completly in case they want to get rid of some entrys on the journal.

Reasons:

• Using a thirdparty tracker is uncomfortable and you can't track anything, also you are likely to miss some events
  • The automated tracker included in the EATW addon isn't allowed any more
  • Why is it called "scroll" if there aren't any notes on such events? It does even say, you would collect "informations".

Server space isn't that precious wink.gif

Your awnser took almost 50-100 times more space on the server then a single journal entry would require. Even your avatar requires the same space as about 500-1000 journal entries would do. The only reasonable argument was, if it would consume tu much compution time, but that's not the case either since this is a very simple feature.

Edited by Ext3h

Server space isn't that precious wink.gif

Your awnser took almost 50-100 times more space on the server then a single journal entry would require. Even your avatar requires the same space as about 500-1000 journal entries would do. The only reasonable argument was, if it would consume tu much compution time, but that's not the case either since this is a very simple feature.

Are these facts or are you just making stuff up?

Those are facts. His avatar has a size of ~6500 bytes, not compressable. A journal entry would only have a size of <100 bytes, worst case. By doing a fullqote, you just wasted additional 500 bytes, not to mention all the other informations which where stored together with your post. Ok, 500-1000 was a bit overstated, but you see, that is not a problem. You could store 1 billion journal entries on a normal 100GB harddisk, and the number of entries isn't a problem either, every time a UV is counted, a similar entry is made.

Are these facts or are you just making stuff up?

I would assume Ext3h is pretty trustworthy, seeing as how he runs EatW...

Ninja'd.

Edited by ~!~

Scratch out all your listed journal entries and put in information that seems more useful such as when a BSA is available again, or when a freeze or kill has been gained back or when a dragon can breed again, and people might actually use it.

Also a journal should have "track selected" or "track all" because I'm sure some people won't want to know everything that goes on with their dragons.

My reasons being:

Collecting an egg? DO we really need a newsflash for something we know we did and could be of little interest to someone else? Same thing goes for the next two ideas. We can easily calculate when something grows/hatches ourselves. DO we rally need to know when we bred? maybe an option to know when dragons can actually breed again for the people who like to breed. For the next two ideas, I really don't think knowing that a dragon died or was killed would be useful. Instead, count when kills actually come "back". The bit about when a dragon "changes" seems rather pointless. The only thing I see this achieving is getting neglected owners harassed or scroll stalked. Yes people do that. Listing when two dragons refuse each other...I'm not sure. Would anyone really use this information?

Being able to hide the information is a plus, but I really don't see why we would need a journal for things we already knew we did.

I have a feeling that this may kill TJ09. Can you imagine recovering every action, change, caught egg, etc. for every user?!?!?! It's a good idea, but it will take years to recover everything!

I have a feeling that this may kill TJ09. Can you imagine recovering every action, change, caught egg, etc. for every user?!?!?! It's a good idea, but it will take years  to recover everything!

Not entirely sure what you mean but I'm pretty sure Exteh means that this stuff will only be recorded after the 'diaries' were implemented.

I support this x1000

I found your add-on extremely helpful and was very sad to find out that it was no longer allowed so I would love it if TJ implemented an alternative.

Only if it's something users have to "initiate" or whatever. Meaning, if a user wants this journal thing, they can click a link or whatever and it will start recording actions.

But I'm sure *no one* would want to suddenly see a journal recording every kill, every egg they accidentally picked up and then dropped back into the AP, etc etc, without their permission or knowledge. *I* sure as heck don't want anything recording all those stats into a "journal" on my scroll!

I want a breed and BSA tracker like the EATW addon had. Complete with breeding preview and links to breed, and tracking which dragons have their BSA available.

Period.

In my opinion, there should be some kind of journal linked on your scroll where every event is tracked, e.g. when:

Collecting an egg

An egg hatches

A hatchling grows

A new egg is bred

A dragon was abandoned

A dragon died/was killed

A dead dragon was revived

A egg or hatchling turned into a different species (vampire, neglected)

Two dragons refused to breed

A BSA was used (including the information WHO the BSA was used on)

The owner of the scroll should be able to determin weither the journal ist visible to other players or not, as well as filter options. Pagination should be used for longer journals. The journal should be either unlimited in size or at least 2 months in case of space problems. Users should be able to either disable or reset the journal completly in case they want to get rid of some entrys on the journal.

Reasons:

Using a thirdparty tracker is uncomfortable and you can't track anything, also you are likely to miss some events

The automated tracker included in the EATW addon isn't allowed any more

Why is it called "scroll" if there aren't any notes on such events? It does even say, you would collect "informations".

I don't see the point for the following following because that information is already available--granted it's not compiled into an on-site easily available source, but it's still there:

• Collecting an egg
  • An egg hatches
  • A hatchling grows
  • A new egg is bred

As for when a BSA was used (and who used it/who it was used on), that would be very nice.

I don't think we need something about dragons that refuse--wasn't one of the updates that is planned to be implemented going to have it so that dragons that refuse will not show up on the list of dragons to breed with?

Also unsure why we need to know when a dragon was abandoned. What about released, then?

Knowing when we froze last, that would be a good thing.

If anything like this was implemented, I'd have to agree with Marie19R--I'd rather be able to opt out of something like this myself. I'd hate to see notices about every single egg I picked up and dropped back onto the AP, personally.

This would be awesome, but wouldn't it be a tad bit overwhelming to do it for EVERY user? :/

This sounds like a lovely idea smile.gif

@Stunning: How so? TJ would have to write a file to record the information, some of which is probably kept behind the scenes already, and then just activate it for however many people want it. It's not like coding a new BSA or feature which requires a lot of testing to make sure no bugs occur...

I would rather see some of the elements of the late EATW add-on (R.I.P.) as they were there, than a 'journal' listing every event.

I particularly miss the BSA tracker: not so much to see what happened in the past, but it was very convenient to have a clickable list of dragons who could use their BSA again... To do that, the information wouldn't need to be kept long: it would be enough to keep the info of the BSA's used for as long as it's cooldown period, and then a list of dragons with available BSA's can easily be made by elimination (pinks - pinks who influenced within last week = pinks with influence available). And the info must already be kept somewhere otherwise the cooldown timers wouldn't work...

A breed tracker would work the same way (I wasn't very much a fan of the 'pairs' format of the EATW breed tracker, as I don't use many fixed pairs anyway).

And I presume a 'kill slot tracker' and a 'freezing tracker' could work that way too.

Another thing I miss (though not really related to the proposed 'journal') is the breeding preview with inbred checker, but I 've read TJ doesn't like the idea of inbreeding prevention in any way, so that's not likely to happen... Maybe just the preview without the inbreeding warning?

Yeah the thing I relied on the most was the Lineage Preview. I loved being able to just take a 3rd Even Gen and go through all the available dragons and see what pretty 4th Even Gen I could make. It was much easier to breed that way, rather than having to click every dragon I might want to breed it with and check the lineage. dry.gif

If anything, I would just really like to see the Lineage Preview implemented. It was extremely helpful for me.

I particularly miss the BSA tracker...

Action/BSA Trackers, with updates coming soon. A kill tracker is not possible at this point, though, because kills only come back when the dragon is cleared from the database (which is not the same as disappearing from your scroll), and last I heard, that's fairly random. TJ would have to make that a consistent time before there could be a tracker for it, on-site or off.

Yeah the thing I relied on the most was the Lineage Preview.

Lineage Viewer with previewing option, also with updates coming soon.

Though I do agree that having something on-site would be nice, for both of the above. But there are still options to work with in the meantime.

A big huge list of dozens of dates and numbers originally suggested, most of which are already available, however, is beyond overkill, as several others have already pointed out.

Lineage Viewer with previewing option, also with updates coming soon.

Yeah, I use that all the time, but just to plan Lineages or show off a future lineage.

The on-site lineage viewer was much more convenient because I didn't have to click through millions of dragons and their lineages to find a good pair or copy and paste a million codes.

It's really not easy breeding specific lineages or even gens with well over 800 dragons. X|

Edited by tikigurl91

I used the EATW addon for two weeks, and now I miss it! I completely support the possibility of a in-cave alternative made by TJ.

I agree wholeheartedly. I never got the chance to use the EATW addon before it was banned, unfortunately, but with over 200 dragons I am sick of having to click on BSA dragons in the HOPES of finding one that isn't on cooldown.

I don't see the point for the following following because that information is already available--granted it's not compiled into an on-site easily available source, but it's still there:
  • Collecting an egg
  • An egg hatches
  • A hatchling grows
  • A new egg is bred
As for when a BSA was used (and who used it/who it was used on), that would be very nice.

I don't think we need something about dragons that refuse--wasn't one of the updates that is planned to be implemented going to have it so that dragons that refuse will not show up on the list of dragons to breed with?

Concurred.

And to the last, yeah, I believe that was implemented already.

I also don't really need a preview for the dragons I want to breed - sure, it's a bit more work checking that manually, but I never really used that feature of the EATW addon since I chose the dragons I wanted to breed first.

The BSA tracker was the most useful to me, maybe the breeding log could be build similarly to that - showing when a breeding pair is able to breed again.

I support this fully! I think it would be really convenient. I dislike having to flip through several programs to record all the things I want to record, have a journal on site would be very helpful.