Sombreon

Pokémon Black and White

I barely understand E.V's let alone I.V's. You can try to explain them but as of now I'm ignorant.

I don't need to worry about the natures anymore. Just got a Modest natured Own Tempo abilityed Petilil. Not counting all the alternate ability Petilils and the Petilils with Own Tempo that weren't Modest with a nature I already had a Petilil of I hatched at the very least 18 eggs. I don't know the exact number but adding in the Petilils I released, over 200.

IVs= Individual Values. They're a Pokemon's "genetic" potential. Each stat can have an IV value between 0 and 31, with 31 being the highest. These numbers have the greatest effect on the stats of a Pokemon out of all other stats.

Last week I was breeding Audinos, looking for a defensive tank to use as a "medic" in double battles. Here's a sampling of the IVs I calculated for the ones I hatched with decent natures:

Audino - Discordia (Bold)

Female (♀) healer

HP: 10

Att: 11

Def: 13

SpA: 31

SpD: 23

Speed: 23

Audino - Melodia (Impish)

Female (♀) healer

HP: 3

Att: 16

Def: 3

SpA: 31

SpD: 5

Speed: 19

Audino - Joy (Careful)

Male (♂) healer

HP: 3

Att: 13

Def: 30

SpA: 23

SpD: 10

Speed: 11

As you see, the first two have outstanding SpA IVs (31, which is the highest), which would be good if Audinos were any good at offense... or if I wanted an offensive Pokemon. The first has fairly decent stats all around, whereas the second is really kinda sucky. The third though, has a very good Def IV, and middling to low IVs in other areas.

The little blurb you see under your Pokemon's nature gives you information about which IV is the highest. Eg. "Likes to thrash about" means the highest IV is in Attack, while "Hates to lose" means the highest IV is in SpD.

All of Cynthia's Pokemon have 31 IVs in every stat.

That actually makes sense O.o I blame serebii's wall of text. It confus ed me.

Can you train I.Vs or do they just grow with the pokemon/stay as is.

You can't train them. They are determined by the game upon catching/hatching, just like nature and ability, and then they are permanent.

There are some tricks you can use to get good stats through breeding. For example, say I was breeding my Audinos and I realized that my male Jigglypuff had 31 SpD. If I give him a Power Band to hold before sticking him in the daycare, all of his children would get his 31 SpD. If the Audino I'm breeding has 29 in HP, I can give her a Power Weight and then the offspring will get 31 in SpD and 29 in HP.

If you don't give the parents Power items, then the stats that get chosen to be passed down are random. Say the parent's stats look like this:

Male- HP:5 Att:13 Def:29 SpA:31 SpD:3 Speed:11

Female- HP:15 Att:22 Def:11 SpA:17 SpD:7 Speed:26

The game randomly choses 3 of those 12 stats to pass on, and the other three are picked by RNG. So a possible offspring might be

HP:11 Att:22 Def:29 SpA:23 SpD:12 Speed:26

This is the calculator I like to use for IVs. To find the Hidden Power type you fly to Mistralton City to talk to the guy in the Pokemon Center. The Potential, Best Stat, and Saying can be found by talking to the Ace Trainer in the Battle Subway-- he'll tell you things like "Your Pokemon has above average potential. Its best potential is in Special Attack. It's fantastic in that regard." You may actually want to do this first, because if he says something like "Its best potential is in Speed. It's rather decent in that regard," well, you just found out that the Pokemon's best stat is given the lowest possible rating and you might not want to waste your time with it.

The next step-- this can be kind of tedious-- is to go level up your Pokemon, keeping track of its stat changes & EVs. I like to give newborns a Lucky Egg and stick them at the front, then go find a lvl 50 Audino and faint it with a different Pokemon-- easily gives you 12k+ XP, and then you can just copy down the numbers on the level-up pop ups. Also, don't let them evolve before you've calculated your IVs or it will screw everything up.

Hm. Well my level 1 Petilil is quote) above average overall/ best potential in Sp.Def. It's fantastic in that regard. (unquote.

I tried using the calculator serebii has but I didn't really understand it...

EDIT:Just battled 2 Vanillish. Gained 16 levels and 4 (4 = 1 point right?) Sp.Attack EVs. I of course recorded all the point gains for each level.

Edited by crazywargod

Here's how I filled out Serebii's calculator for Joy, the third Audino from above:

user posted image

I definitely still prefer the calculator I linked above, though, because it takes into account the stats across several levels to give you a more accurate guess.

Edited by TPishek

Here's how I filled out Serebii's calculator for the Joy, the third Audino from above:

*insert image*

I definitely still prefer the calculator I linked above, though, because it takes into account the stats across several levels to give you a more accurate guess.

Yours confuses me. I tried it but it's giving me impossible to calculate.

Here's a good, simple calculator. c:

It's more accurate the higher level of your Pokemon, obviously. I checked the IVs of my DW Naughty Shinx, and it has 31 IVS in Sp. Atk and Speed. <3 Very nice.

Ohai mella. I had a question for you.

How many EVs did you dump into each stat? I'm trying to get a base for around what I should aim for.

I tried that calculator but I still don't understand. Possibly explain the calculator. I'm a bit slow, I know.

I usually put 252 into 2 stats and the rest into another. Simpler for me, that way. :3

For that calculator, pick the species of the Pokemon of yours that you want to check. Put in their level, and then put in all of the stats that they have. For the EVs, you would have needed to keep track of them if you've battled with that Pokemon at all. Finally put in the nature of your Pokemon, and hit submit.

..really, it's self explanatory if you think about it. x3 But you know. Whatever.

I usually put 252 into 2 stats and the rest into another. Simpler for me, that way. :3

For that calculator, pick the species of the Pokemon of yours that you want to check. Put in their level, and then put in all of the stats that they have. For the EVs, you would have needed to keep track of them if you've battled with that Pokemon at all. Finally put in the nature of your Pokemon, and hit submit.

..really, it's self explanatory if you think about it. x3 But you know. Whatever.

What stats did you dump into for your Liligant? Besides the obvious Sp.Attack.

It's not the entering information confusing me. The results are what is confusing me.

I put the other 252 into Speed. Because when you're a Grass type.. you'll want some speed. :V

Oh, the RESULTS. Basically, you can have 0 to 31 IVs in any stat. The higher the IV number, the higher that stat. :3 That's all it is.

Yours confuses me. I tried it but it's giving me impossible to calculate.

Eh, that means you've got EVs you're not accounting for.

I put the other 252 into Speed. Because when you're a Grass type.. you'll want some speed. :V

Oh, the RESULTS. Basically, you can have 0 to 31 IVs in any stat. The higher the IV number, the higher that stat. :3 That's all it is.

So 252 for Sp.Attack and 252 for Speed?

I'm getting (random numbers) 10-22. Is she not a high enough level?

EDIT:She has 4 EVs all in Sp.Attack. I don't get what I'm doing wrong. I entered 2 at level 1 and 2 at level 14. I put that. Still impossible.

Edited by crazywargod

Crazy, the numbers WILL be random. But the higher the level, the more precise it is. It will be the most precise when your Pokemon is lv 100 and you have put in all of the correct EV numbers.

And.. what did you do with the EVs...? I don't get your last sentence. You get EVs for every Pokemon you battle. It doesn't go by level, it goes by the number of wins your Pokemon has and how many EVs the defeated Pokemon can give.

For example, all Patrats give 1 Attack EV for every time you beat them. For every Hydreigon you defeat, you get 3 Sp. Atk EVs. You get the EVs automatically after each battle. Which is why it's important to keep track of them if you want to check IVs and such.

I realize that you might not have asked a question that calls for this answer, but hey. It's nice to know. :V

The numbers I gave you were random by me. The numbers it gave me were

17-22 HP

18-23 Attack

19-24 Defense

16-21 Sp.Attack

25-31 Sp.Defense (REEEEEEEEALY good Sp.Defense)

3-8 Speed (REEEEEEEEALY bad speed)

C&P of a previous post with minor edits.

Just battled 2 Vanillish. Gained 16 levels and 4 (4 = 1 stat point right?) Sp.Attack EVs. I of course recorded all the point gains for each level.

To expand. I beat 1 Vanillish at level 1 meaning it gained 2 Sp.Attack EVs at level 1. It leveled to 14. I then beat another Vanillish gaining another 2 Sp.Attack EVs. It leveled to 16.

I entered 2 at level 1 and 2 at level 14. (the I put that part was just redundancy, sorry).

Edited by crazywargod

Is there any use for the dream world besides old pokemon with new abilities and getting berries/items?

Is there any use for the dream world besides old pokemon with new abilities and getting berries/items?

Not really. Not at the moment anyway.

I didn't figure out the problem with your calculator TPishek but I figured out the IVs using it. I just reduced the inputed levels to 16 min and went from there. Mella's simple calculator was actually really close with its guess. All the IVs are within its ranges.

Hp:20 Attack:20 Defense:20 Sp.Attack:18 Sp.Defense:26 Speed:3

I take it all but Speed are good IVs.

Although I majorly derped. I lost the pad with the EVs I collected so I need to reset them and start over sleep.gif At least it's only around 12-20 so not a big loss. At most I'd need to battle 10 Vanilish to catch up. Not a BIG deal. The problem are the berries but I have hondew in DW so I can grow what I need.

Edited by crazywargod

Has anyone been to the Abyssal Ruins? It's pretty, but I guess the only thing you can do there is pick up items. :l

And getting flushed away. Ugh.

Has anyone been to the Abyssal Ruins? It's pretty, but I guess the only thing you can do there is pick up items. :l

And getting flushed away. Ugh.

I have. I have emptied it out completely. It's sad you can't decipher the messages or do more.

eh, its extremely good one time money though

Oh yeah. VERY GOOD.

need advice please.

First, I plan on using my drillbur->excedrill in the VGA tourny. opinion?

First what should i ev train? I was considering on mostly attack and defense, or should i focus on defense/sp defense?

Second, I was wondering if i should not evolve my drillbur until 43 because excedrill doesn't learn drill run until past lv 50. (55 to be exact.)

Finally, I was wondering if this would work as a decent move set:

Toxic

Earthquake

Drill Run

Rock Slide

(Note: I always freshly breed my tournament pokemon for the right nature etc.)

Any notes valued!

Forgotto ask, how do you get gen 5 pokemon with Hidden abilities?

Edited by moneyman

you dont, none have been released bar ingame musharnas and darmatan.

well, idk why hes running drill run AND earthquake. im unfamiliar with the rules of the VGC so if you can please explain?

Im gettin' black for my birthday on May 21st,

But I need some pointers on the game. I have Soulsilver, so I know how some of it works, but id like so pointers on some of the stuff you can do, and well, I do have the guide that I bought for $20, but thats explaining how to get completely through the game....

My best friend has Black too, and I play it some times, so I know HOW to work black, but I just need some pointers...

Thanks!

~koowie