Linda4atc

Breeders Mark

Breeders Mark...

3rd generation and higher dragons/eggs could have a little checkmark, * or some identifing mark on the scroll. This mark is giving if their lineage is considered special to the owner/breeder.

This mark would show on the breeders page as well. If parents with this mark breed, their eggs will carry the mark. If you pick up an abandoned egg you will see ithe mark next to the egg on your scroll. If you decide the lineage is nothing special you can unmark it at anytime.

(reason for this) It would just be easier if you have many dragons to see which ones have the prefered lineages without going to the dragons page and actually clicking the lineage everytime.

A more limited option would be to have an ignore list (owner only, and reversable) If you have a dragon with a undesiable lineage, you could place it on the ignore list and it will not show up for any breeding.Breeders Mark...

3rd generation and higher dragons/eggs could have a little checkmark, * or some identifing mark on the scroll. This mark is giving if their lineage is considered special to the owner/breeder.

This mark would show on the breeders page as well. If parents with this mark breed, their eggs will carry the mark. If you pick up an abandoned egg you will see ithe mark next to the egg on your scroll. If you decide the lineage is nothing special you can unmark it at anytime.

(reason for this) It would just be easier if you have many dragons to see which ones have the prefered lineages without going to the dragons page and actually clicking the lineage everytime.

A more limited option would be to have an ignore list (owner only, and reversable) If you have a dragon with a undesiable lineage, you could place it on the ignore list and it will not show up for any breeding.

Scroll Search

I now have my silver trophy! I know some of you have 5 times that number of dragons to sort through. I also love looking at other peoples dragons so I want this to be useable on any scroll not just on the one you own.

Suggestion:

just click search and a menu apears. with these filters..

breed (submenu with a list of all breeds to pick from) Maybe an option to pick more than one at a time (example breeds you are using in a project)

# generation; you put in a number and only the dragons of that generation will show (caveborns would be 1) this would include eggs and hatchlings.

enter a code or name to show just that dragon

Is this something that sounds good to you all? Is is something TJ may want to do someday?

Ohh and one more suggestion idea.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Temporary sorting: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=107447

There is/was a suggestion about being able to mark dragons for different reasons, but I can't find it. (eg you are given 3 colors of stars you can assign to each dragon, so you give your inbreds green stars, your CBs blue stars, and your 2nd-gens pink stars, etc)

I have not read through that topic entirely, but I believe it only deals with your own scroll, whereas Linda4atc is suggesting being able to search anyone's scroll in this way.

I think it would be helpful, because I often get offers when I breed an egg for someone. They will say to look through their scroll and see if there is anything I want them to breed for me in return. Frankly that is just more trouble than it is worth if they have a lot of dragons, but if I could call up just their CB dragons, for example, then I could see if there was a pair I would like bred for me.

I am not sure how difficult this would be to put in place, but I can see uses for it.

I have not read through that topic entirely, but I believe it only deals with your own scroll, whereas Linda4atc is suggesting being able to search anyone's scroll in this way.

I think it would be helpful, because I often get offers when I breed an egg for someone. They will say to look through their scroll and see if there is anything I want them to breed for me in return. Frankly that is just more trouble than it is worth if they have a lot of dragons, but if I could call up just their CB dragons, for example, then I could see if there was a pair I would like bred for me.

I am not sure how difficult this would be to put in place, but I can see uses for it.

Yes, when I posted that I was mainly thinking of your own scroll...but I don't see why it couldn't be used for other's as well.

A scroll search has already been suggested. :3

You may also be interested in the Dragon Notebook suggestion.

For the breeders mark, I don't like that an abandoned egg would keep the mark, though. Let the new owner mark it as special if they wish. ^^

Well, I do like the idea, and as long as the new owner can unmark it any time, I don't see any harm in it.

Well, I do like the idea, and as long as the new owner can unmark it any time, I don't see any harm in it.

I have the same objection to this as I did to an earlier suggestion (slips my mind which one now, though).

By it staying marked through abandoning it, you're interfering with others' gameplay. Sure, most of the people who visit the forum will know they can just un-mark it and it won't matter, but forum users don't make up all DC users. What about long time cave-only users and, especially, new cave-only users? They pick that up and see the mark and now wonder if they have to do something special. A lot of them probably will end up doing something special because they think they have to. Or a bunch of users will also end up abandoning those eggs, so when they don't name it according to lineage or whatnot, they don't have an angry breeder coming after them. :U

I have the same objection to this as I did to an earlier suggestion (slips my mind which one now, though).

By it staying marked through abandoning it, you're interfering with others' gameplay. Sure, most of the people who visit the forum will know they can just un-mark it and it won't matter, but forum users don't make up all DC users. What about long time cave-only users and, especially, new cave-only users? They pick that up and see the mark and now wonder if they have to do something special. A lot of them probably will end up doing something special because they think they have to. Or a bunch of users will also end up abandoning those eggs, so when they don't name it according to lineage or whatnot, they don't have an angry breeder coming after them. :U

On the other hand, if you give the users the ability to put the mark on themselves, what is to keep them from marking a twentieth gen inbred dragon as "special". While it is nice that they think it is special, it defeats the purpose of this suggestion.

And to me, the lack of knowledge about turning it off would be solved if there were actual news announcements on the site, not just on the forums.

Personally, I was hoping for a lot more when the scroll pages feature came out. There is no way to personally organize the pages effectively even with using the custom sorts. You can only set the pages for how many dragons show up in total on each page and that is it. No matter how you have your scroll organized, the page numbers will screw up that organization if you don't have "exactly" the correct number of dragons to cause your organizing to work. Also, the pages settings only work on your end - not another person's end. I HATE it.

I want a page system where I can basically sort my scroll into folders and determine what dragons go in what folder. So if I have 200 dragons filed in one folder and 50 in another then that is what happens. I can organize my dragons through those folders like a file cabinet system. I want to be able to put all of my cbs in one folder, all of my 2nd even gens in another, all of my inbreds in their own folder, dragons specifically set aside for special breeding requests for other folks could go in yet another, or however else I might to organize specific dragons. The file cabinet would be set up the way I want myself and other people to view my scroll. I'd like to be able put labels on the folders too but I could live without labels if necessary. I could even live with a system where the folders were limited in numbers like 10 folders per scroll as that would still provide a wide berth for coming up with a working organization for 9 folders and have the 10th be a general catch all for the odds/ends that don't fit whatever organization scheme I might be using.

On the other hand, if you give the users the ability to put the mark on themselves, what is to keep them from marking a twentieth gen inbred dragon as "special". While it is nice that they think it is special, it defeats the purpose of this suggestion.

And to me, the lack of knowledge about turning it off would be solved if there were actual news announcements on the site, not just on the forums.

What's wrong with marking an inbred lineage as special?

As far as I can tell, the OP only talks about desirable and undesirable lineages, but in this game, it's up to each person what that means.

On that note, I don't want this at all if it's another suggestion against inbreeding. :U

While I would love a news announcement on the site, there isn't one, and even if there was, I'd still prefer if your mark on a dragon you're giving up to no longer own disappeared. ^^

I agree that marking should disappear after its gone. Its not your dragon anymore; you might consider it special, or inbred and 'bad' or wish someone would carry on the lineage. But the person who picks it up might not feel that way, and they should be able to do what they like with it.

I'm perfectly happy about marking on your own scroll, but I'd prefer if there was a variety of colours and you could choose what each colour means.

As I said in a similar thread, "special" and "desireable" are very very subjective. The only way that this would not interfer or influence anyone else's gameplay is if it was limited to each person's scroll. Once an egg is abandoned it looses it's "breeder's mark", since that breeder no longer owns the egg. It makes sense that way, since abandoned eggs also loose their "influence".

(And if this feature ever actually happened, I would *definitely* be marking a few of my favorite inbred dragons! Inbreeding is only "wrong" to the people who think that way, it is not "wrong" in-game)

Awsome! I see logic in everything said here.

wink.gif you have swung my vote over to the mark not staying on abandoned eggs. I was thinking that it would make my hunting easier, but agree with many of your points of view on this.

biggrin.gif I too had really hoped for something like the file folders as a means for sorting. The new page limits has helped my me with my very slow computer, but it didn't do a lot for organizing things.

smile.gif colored starts would be a good mark for what I'm thinking. Also the owner could decide what they want them to mean. It could be a different one for each project. or for each generation or whatever...

cool.gifbiggrin.gif TPishek I have been to Eggs Around the World but I lever figured out that I could sort out the caveborns like that!!!!! I love it. I all kinds of lists, and hours upon hours of work on my friends and families scrolls trying to get a list of the caveborns. And then they have the nerve to add more caveborns into the middle of the scroll instead of leaving them all at the top, so I can't easily see which ones ore new. laugh.gif You just made my day!

Personally, I was hoping for a lot more when the scroll pages feature came out. There is no way to personally organize the pages effectively even with using the custom sorts. You can only set the pages for how many dragons show up in total on each page and that is it. No matter how you have your scroll organized, the page numbers will screw up that organization if you don't have "exactly" the correct number of dragons to cause your organizing to work. Also, the pages settings only work on your end - not another person's end. I HATE it.

I want a page system where I can basically sort my scroll into folders and determine what dragons go in what folder. So if I have 200 dragons filed in one folder and 50 in another then that is what happens. I can organize my dragons through those folders like a file cabinet system. I want to be able to put all of my cbs in one folder, all of my 2nd even gens in another, all of my inbreds in their own folder, dragons specifically set aside for special breeding requests for other folks could go in yet another, or however else I might to organize specific dragons. The file cabinet would be set up the way I want myself and other people to view my scroll. I'd like to be able put labels on the folders too but I could live without labels if necessary. I could even live with a system where the folders were limited in numbers like 10 folders per scroll as that would still provide a wide berth for coming up with a working organization for 9 folders and have the 10th be a general catch all for the odds/ends that don't fit whatever organization scheme I might be using.

That's the sort of thing I'd been hoping for.

Especially with so many people approaching or exceeding 1000-dragon scrolls that slower puters can't load them and a search for, in example, an offered breeding of 'whatever' is difficult and time-consuming even apart from any loading issues.

Maybe someday...???

That's the sort of thing I'd been hoping for.

Especially with so many people approaching or exceeding 1000-dragon scrolls that slower puters can't load them and a search for, in example, an offered breeding of 'whatever' is difficult and time-consuming even apart from any loading issues.

Maybe someday...???

I was hoping for something like this too.

Basically, I think we're playing more and more complicated all the time. What started out as a fun collect dragons game has turned into something more complicated and many faceted.

I hope that we get a more 'filing cabinet' system one day too. TJ is very responsive to user opinion and requests, more than I ever would have expected. Maybe he's working on it? Or thinking of working on it? (Please??? )

I guess this thread can be dumped in the trash bin now. Thanks for letting air my thoughts.

No reason to trash it. I know many breeders who would appreciate some sort of breeding mark just for themselves. ^^

My only complaint is that I don't want it to stay if you abandon it. ^^

I really love this idea but am in concurrence with SockPuppet Strangler, the makr should fade when the egg/hatchie is abandoned like the Pink's and Red's BSA. I really like the idea of an ignore list and marks. One question, would the marks only be visible to you or to everyone who views your scroll?

Edited by Sea Spirit

I like this idea, but perhaps the breeder could check a box on 2nd gen and up, and if they did it would show their name beside the dragon's image on whoever picked it up's scroll(or on the breeder's scroll if it wasn't abandoned)? I don't think it should fade if it's abandoned, but not be, like, a mark on the egg/hatchie/dragon. But I DO like the idea of it being *beside* their image, because then I could see who bred my dragons :3 I personally would like that :3

LightningRip, you can already see who bred your dragons. Just click on the link to see the dragon's mother/father page, and if the user has their name listed, you'll see it.

I think it could could really messy and drama-llama if it doesn't fade after the dragon is abandoned. For reasons already stated. And it really makes more sense for it to fade, since other BSAs like Influence fade when abandoned.

Honestly, some people like knowing who bred the eggs they picked up, and that's fine. There is already a way to see that, if the person has their name displayed. But for those of us who *don't* want to see it, who don't want to feel pressured because "omg this is so-and-so's egg!", let's not have this be a permanent thing. It should fade if abandoned.

This is an interesting idea - though I have many nice and/or special lineages I'd like to mark! xd.png I do agree that the mark should "fall off" in the AP though - just because I like a lineage doesn't mean someone else automatically will!

Currently, to aid browsing on my scroll, I use frozen hatchies to denote different sections (CBs, 2nd gens, non-even gens, inbreds, vampires, etc.), and it works ok but it's not overly elegant. Really like the idea of folders or another more flexible arrangement, but until we have that, my lil frozen chappies will have to do.