Fengari

DC Photography contest #27

Ok, here it is, sorry it took so long...

The theme for this contest is: 'old'.

I hope this will mean anyone who wants to participate will find something in his/her archives, or is able to make a new pic, as a lot of things can be 'old': people, things, buildings, animals. But please try to choose something that's obviously old, not just a pic of a cat saying 'she's 13...'

Rules:

- One entry per person

- Picture has to be made by yourself, and can't be just a reproduction of someone's work. I someone else's work is in the picture, there needs to be something extra.

- No manipulation besides basic photo adjustments (contrast, exposure, cropping, color balance, lighting, etc.)

- No text or framing in the photo. A signature/watermark is just fine, but it's preferable if you don't have "O Hai Eye Hav3 T3XT" (or something similar) present in the photo.

- When voting, please don't select your own image. This will ensure fairness.

- You are free to submit an old photo, you don't need to take a new one just for this competition.

Closing date: Sunday, March 6th

(I'll be leaving on holiday friday night. (Mountains again!) We should have WiFi so normally I will be able to make the voting poll, but if I don't appear, will somebody else please make it? I wouldn't want to keep you guys hanging for a week...)

Previous themes:

1: Beginning anew

2: Simplicity

3: Summer

4: Wildlife

5: Black & White

6: Food

7: Macro

8: Farewell

9: Light and Shadow

10: Urban

11: In the home

12: Travel Photography

13: Pets

14: Red

15: Coupled Animals

16: Clouds

17: Green

18: Water

19: Scenic views

20: Invertebrates

21: Sunrise/Sunset

22: Purple

23: Out of Context

24: Snow

25: Flowers

26: Mountains

EDIT: added rule that should have been obvious.

Edited by Fengari

Old you say?

*is going to have a discussion with herself which picture to enter...*

That's a tricky one. I don't have anything suitable in my gallery. I'll have to give some thought to this one. Perhaps I'll manage to think of something old to shoot.

I'll just take a picture of your mom. That'll win.

*Shot*

I don't think I have anything... I'll have to take a look-see around my stuff.

I'll just take a picture of your mom. That'll win.

*Shot*

I don't think I have anything... I'll have to take a look-see around my stuff.

Lol!! Did you just call her old? laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we have to have taken the photo ourselves? huh.gif

Thanks to my trip to England last year, I have several old things in my photos!

But which one to use?

Old ~ 1833.

Older ~ 1500's.

Oldest ~ the stones around the arched window and ground floor window date back to 1133! It's the House at Green Knowe for those of you that know Lucy M. Boston's books.

I'm leaning towards the grave even though the poem on it is difficult to read.

The entire album is here if you wish to see the rest of the trip.

Or... just to confuse the issue ~ Old Dog?

Edited by Lagie

I want to enter my picture of my Mom's Kindergarten Class...

There is no photo manipulation in this...its black and white..and has just became that color over time in my grandmas basement, before we found it.

It has to be a photo you took.

Meh... Not really that great but...

Withered Rose

That counts as old, right?

Still waiting for a theme where I can actually enter one of my better pics. tongue.gif

It has to be a photo you took.

I did take that picture. It was a single class picture I found in my grandmas basement, and took a picture of. My mom put it on facebook so i said what the heck, and used it here. All I did was crop it to make it look better. :/

Edited by Sandface

I see a loop hole, lol. I mean the picture you took is of something old.. *high fives* I did the same thing with my grandparents military pics. tongue.gif But I need to find myself a different photo.. hmm. Maybe I should take some pics of downtown Houston, there's a lot of old buildings there. I'll find something.. *goes off to search*

Edited by emetib92

Eh, I say save the modern art for something else. (Seriously, there's a person who took photos of photos and made big money off of it. Wat.)

Might as well go with this one - temp. retitle of The Timeless Sun.

I did take that picture. It was a single class picture I found in my grandmas basement, and took a picture of. My mom put it on facebook so i said what the heck, and used it here. All I did was crop it to make it look better. :/

But someone else had taken the original pictures. It's not YOUR picture.

The same way you could take a movie screenshot and post it as a "picture you took".

Huh, old.

Might find something in my archives... or not.

An ant on a weathered piece of dead wood.

Edited by lightbird

@ Sandface: I have the same issues with your pic than some of the others have already said: it's not a picture you have taken, it's a reproduction of a page made by someone else full of pictures someone else has taken. That you used a camera to reproduce it doesn't really matter, it could just as well have been a scanner. There's no personal input, that's the issue.

Maybe you can take a picture with the picture in it, but with a bit more personal input (like it lying on an old desk or with your mum's hand holding it or something)?

It is a bit of an oversight that the fact that it has to be a picture you made yourself is not in the rules. I guess for most people that just goes without saying, but the rules should include it. I'll edit the OP so it can get copied for next contest.

All other entries certainly count! I like the diversity we're getting, this is what I was going for.

@Lagie: I would go with the grave too. It's the most obvious 'old', even though the others are older.

Lagie, I like the grave stone best as well.

>__> Whatever. The picture itself IS OLD. I just took a picture of the class picture. But fine, if no one agrees with me, I'll leave.

I remembered I actually have a shot that I can enter, that I missed earlier. I'll see if I find something else first, though. At least now I know that I will be able to enter, whether or not I can find something old to shoot during the week biggrin.gif

Also, remember that it doesn't have to be something that literally is, old, but maybe a posed photo indicating old age. I don't have anything old to shoot, so I'm going to try to make it seem old.

Can I count this one as old? o: The wall itself is somewhere around 400 years old and I took the picture in the end of October last year (if that makes any difference)...

@ Caius: works for me!

@ Sandface: nobody said it wasn't old. I don't think anyone wants you to leave. I'd really like it if you would submit a more personal picture of that picture... It has potential!