arlymaye

IOU - Breeding Promises

I have 3 ious I need to complete at the moment.. My dragons don't seem to co operate...

I make and accept some IOU's but at this time, I only have 2 tinsels I am that are solid enough breeders to do so. Owing IOU's are just too stressful for me otherwise. I have accepted IOU's from people I don't know, which is risky of course, but greatly rewarding if they come through for me. I accepted 5 pairs of Ghost hatchies in IOU's prior to halloween this year, and everyone came through.

I will make IOU's for eggs I can breed myself, or regular eggs, but there is no way I'll make an IOU for any rare eggs as I have a hard enough time getting those eggs for myself. I would take IOU's in the same manner.

I stopped taking/making IOUs because timezones made it so difficult. But now, I've taken a few. Hooray for Teleport! But I don't plan to take so many, especially with my Metalics. I've gotten zero eggs from them as it is.

I'm cautious about IOUs I do take, because I don't like leaving people hanging.

I'll take or make IOUs for tinsels, with the understanding that if you're requesting a specific tinsel it may take awhile. (I do have one IOU from a rather stubborn pair; the person I owe doesn't check the forums anyway, though, so not sure how that will go when I finally do breed the dragon in question. I tried to send over a different tinsel as a "thanks for waiting" gift, in addition to the one I owe, but after ~5 days of attempting to contact the person there was no answer, so I traded it away. When the pair does breed, I think I'm going to send a PM and an email, and put a time limit on the timeframe to reply.)

I'll also make IOUs for hatchlings from eggs I already have on my scroll (or can obtain easily), or for common-breed eggs or hatchlings I can breed myself. Sometimes I'll do an IOU for an uncommon, but only if the other person is in no rush for an egg. I will not make IOUs for the original silver or golds, as they're not cooperative enough to be reliable. I have no objection to doing IOUs for bred past-holiday dragons; I don't want to make IOUs for new holiday dragons, simply because there's no guarantees I can catch them.

I take IOUs for breedings, with the understanding that the more uncommon the dragon the longer the IOU will take. I do like to know which dragons specifically will be breeding if it's a particular request, if it's just an egg for a breeding project of mine though it doesn't really matter.

Tinsels I'll take IOUs for and it doesn't really matter how long it takes, as long as I'm within the first few on the IOU list (1-3).

I wouldn't be doing IOU's at all if it weren't for Teleport.

I haven't had too many problems with IOUs so I'm pretty open about taking them from people who I've seen posting around the forums a bit. The one time I had a problem was when I traded with someone who had very few (trophy level 0-1?) posts. But luckily the egg (CB Pink) wasn't worth too much.

It's also nice to post an IOU list on the profile so people you are offering IOUs to feel a little more secure (at least I like it that way just as a double check that the info was taken down correctly).

Typically, my dragons co-operate and I can fulfill an IOU in 2-3 weeks max. I do have 2 pairs of BSAs that have been stubborn though - er... 3 weeks, no egg. And typically I keep the IOUs I owe people below or around 5 to not get overburdened.

Though it does become a problem when IOUs take too long to fulfill because I never know when a person might have become inactive so it's always a plus when I offer / accept IOUs to at least know that the person is fairly active in the forums.

Oh, and I never offer IOUs on my regular metallics because they seem to have...reproduction problems...

Edited by daestarr

I've made a few IOU's, filled most of them (I only have 1 regular Gold left, but those are such a pain to breed and the other person owns me a Metallic of her own so we understand eachother tongue.gif) and accepted IOU's in my trades and had all save one filled in return. I also made a list of my IOU's on my profile, so the other person knows he/she won't be forgoten. I usually only offer an IOU when I'm 100% sure I'll be able to keep my promise, which is why I haven't participated in trades that asked for new Halloween hatchies - I'd hate to leave someone hanging. I mostly offer my Tinsel offspring IOU's, since those seem to be in demand right now, but always make sure the other person understands that it might take some time to breed the egg. If it wasn't for Teleport, the time zones would probably make such trading highly inconvenient, so yay for that BSA. smile.gif

Edited by stagazer_7

I have taken a couple of IOUs and filled a few as well. I do my best to fill the ones I make ASAP, and don't worry too much about the IOUs I've accepted.

It was interesting to receive a dragon that was supposed to fill an IOU, and have it unrelated to the dragon I sent. It's still a nice line, and I didn't realize it wasn't the right line until a couple weeks later when I looked at the original PM with the lineage link. I have never contacted the trader, and wonder if others have had this kind of experience?

I currently owe three, a Black Stripe, a Gold Tinsel, and a 6th gen descendant of what I hope will be a very pretty pair. Now that Halloween has passed, I've hoped they will give me the proper eggs without any more delay, but they haven't co-operated yet, and the hatchling for the third pairing matures very early tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

And like many others here, I couldn't have traded much of anything before Teleport! wub.gif

NEVER have I had to give/offer an IOU,except as a form of saying to a friend that Ill breed/gift certain egg ASAP...but certainly not taken/meant as a promise in trades/owing!!

I gift enough people that Ive no need to really ask for trades...the more I GIFT in DC,the more IM gifted...literally/seriously!

When you are generous,people are usually willing to help/gift YOU when they can...& I dont ask,except in cases of lineage breeders ,& occasionally a friend with perfect dragon lineage...but they are able to ask ME also.

I like to give,& my friends are not greedy in giving either.

Rockin' On

PS..never say never..that is a statement as of TODAY...never know what might happen,ER of needing egg is always possible I geuss.. unsure.gif

I do make IOU promises and I try my best to fulfill them... sometimes other things get in the way and for some reason or another, I end forgetting them but not because I wanted.

It's kinda a code of conduct of mine... to try and fulfill every promise I make if my scatterbrain doesnt gets in the way (and I try it doesnt!)

I've stopped making IOUs for the moment 'cause I've got these two that I just cannot manage to fill.

I do have waiting lists for some of my personal lineages, but it's not something where I'm in anyone's debt, so I don't feel as bad about folks having to wait a little...

I breed, and I have one IOU for a gold, but I have no other ious.

I'm waiting for a nice Gold Tinsel IOU from someone who I gave a pumpkin to. They have been very good in keeping their end of the deal. n.n

I don't mind accepting IOUs- most of my metallics have been due to them. And when asking for things like low gen. silvers/golds you pretty much have to give/accept IOUs. Getting those buggers to breed is a PAIN - i have a nice collection and all of them have refused to even have a common egg for 3 weeks ><

IOUs really just matter on how often the person who gives you it is online. If they're on the forums and DC a lot, you'll probably have no problems! biggrin.gif

I always pay back in full. But a question to you all: If someone has gone MIA and you've finally bred their IOU egg (which was hard to breed), what do you do? If the egg grows up, do you still owe them an IOU?

My IOU experiences have been 100% fine, so far. Right now, I have a few outstanding debts, as well as collections. I still owe one egg that's not a problem, just that the other person can't seem to fulfill their end of the breeding yet (finicky Stripes), so I keep breeding and then raising the egg, as they don't want to accept it early. But the pair is cooperative, so I have no worries about being able to hold up my end when it's time.

Other than that, I need to breed a few 3rd-gens that I only had 1st-gens for at the time, but the recipient is being very patient, and I've sent a reminder to let them know that I haven't forgotten, and should be ready to fulfill after Christmas breeding is past.

I've accepted IOUs and been paid in full numerous times; 4 special Holiday breeding IOUs, plus IOUs of multiple hatchies on several different trades. Each time, the person was quite nice and kept me posted, and ultimately the trade trickled back to my inbox.

I've also managed to pay up on 3 or 4 IOUs so far myself; I haven't kept track of how many exactly, but they've gone very smoothly. At the moment, I still owe the two aforementioned trades, plus a delivery of a holiday-lineaged egg once I finish breeding it.

On the other hand, I think it's good to trust your gut and "read" the person you're trading with, to see if they're trustworthy. I've turned down at least one IOU situation because I could tell that, if I accepted, I'd be raising eggs and hatching them while the other person continued to "shop around" for a better deal. I don't want to waste my time, incubates, and egg slots on a deal that might fall through because the other person refuses to commit, especially if they *could* supply their end at that time but opt not to. When they refuse to spend a teleport and say I can have it IF it's still a hatchie by the time I finish raising what they want, that, to me, says that they're still hoping for a better offer.

If I don't know someone, I tend to look at their previous posts, just to get a better sense of their attitude and reliability. I'm still a bit unhappy over one of the trades I made, because it was for a hatchie which turned out to be IB, of which the trader did not inform me -- turned out it was something he'd picked up from the AP, so while I spent a long time breeding a special checker, I ended up not even keeping the dragon I received, which he'd made no effort on, because it wasn't something I would have accepted in the first place. Since then, I've looked at some other trades by that person, and feel that they aren't quite as honest and open as other people I see on the threads, and that they seem to try and get more than their eggs' worth. wink.gif

Usually, someone who's good about IOUs will also write you nice, informative PMs, not just one or two sentences with no capital letters, asking how soon they can have something. xd.png

I made an 3rd Gen Silver IOU to someone... I don't remember who... about 1.5yrs or so ago. My 2 2nd Gen slivers have yet to give me a silver in that time. =\

<edit> I just went to look... of my 2nd gens, my male has -never- given me another silver, and the last silver I got from my female was April 09. >_< Looking at that the IOU may have been made longer ago than that, possibly 2 years ago.

Edited by HotIce80

My IOU experiences have been 100% fine, so far. Right now, I have a few outstanding debts, as well as collections. I still owe one egg that's not a problem, just that the other person can't seem to fulfill their end of the breeding yet (finicky Stripes), so I keep breeding and then raising the egg, as they don't want to accept it early. But the pair is cooperative, so I have no worries about being able to hold up my end when it's time... [truncated.]

Everything about your post. I've only done IOUs in other sites (I'm not confident about doing them here, since I don't have that many dragons on my scroll, and there are a lot of things which still confuse me, especially when it comes to breeding and breeding preferences.)

That's some good tips you've laid out though; people who would be trustworthy for IOUs are normally those people who take the time to tell you about the progress of the breeding, and accommodates questions from the other party.

I do make and take IOUs, but I try to keep things to a reasonable amount. Recently I took on far more IOUs then I should have, however a sudden spate of successful breedings has allowed me to clear all except two, far quicker then I could have hoped. So now I owe two eggs and am owed two eggs.

Honoring IOUs is very important to me and I make sure that I keep good records, breed every week and keep everyone regularily updated. I believe that if you make a promise you should do everything possible to fulfill that promise.

If I have a subborn breeder on my hands, or just a match that is notorious for not breeding (like tinsel/ice) then I let people know and they can decide whether they are willing to wait.

To date I have only had one IOU go wrong, where the person who owed me an egg simply vanished and hasn't been seen in 6 months. Ah well. *shrug* If it were not for IOUs then I wouldn't have my very first Holly sitting on my scroll. smile.gif

Edited by Dubious

I make and take IOU promises and have never had any problems doing so. I always pay my IOU's, and if I have trouble breeding something that's on my scroll, I'll trade to get the same type of lineaged egg from someone else.

I make and take IOU's .....even though I prefer not to take an IOU promise, I don't like to, because I don't like the feeling of making someone take an IOU and must hurry to repay it or they will be hurt or something......

No, I'll do IOU's on silvers and vampires, either CB or purebred and I already payed one of those debts off, took my 8 breeding attempts to even get it, but I did....

So, I'll IOU for a CB silver right away but I'll decline IOU requests and gift it instead......B/c I'm nice and feel like it....

I've only offered or accepted a few IOUs. Generally, people have what I am looking for and it isn't an issue. I haven't asked for anything really rare, either, so that probably helped. Right now, I owe one IOU and am owed at least two. I understand the holiday season is going to make filling those a little difficult, though, so I'm not worried.

I don't think I'll be taking IOU promises anymore. I've had mostly good interactions, but I have an outstanding IOU for a Holly that has gone unfilled since '09. I'm almost 100% positive I'll never get it, but here's to hoping.

I usually only take IOUs for nebulas, since they're my favorite sprites on the whole site and generally reliable breeders.

I make IOUs on occasion, but it's not something I like to do.