gamblers

Fandom!

I don't have a problem with fandom. I normally don't like things with that big of one, though.

ogod paine wat

oh captain jack

it hurts to breath

I know x3

Ah, Jack... I have to say, that fic is what made me go back and watch The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances again just so I could pay attention to him. I ignored so much funny >:

I can't write but I do read a lot of fan fiction. I like slash and I read NCIS, HP and some Naruto ff mostly.

Hello, and I'm a fandom-olic.

No, in all seriousness, I love fandom. The first one I ever had was Harry Potter, and I really think fandom in general has helped me a lot over the years. Its a place I can express interests without being judged, and its just great fun.

I'm a fanfiction writer, too. I wrote my first when I was twelve...and, well, haven't looked at it since, since I'm pretty sure its going to be horrible and Mary-Sue-ish. Haven't deleted the fic, though, since it was quite popular and I'm nostalgic. I've done a bunch of fics since then, for Danny Phantom, Harry Potter and Avatar the Last Airbender, and feel a lot prouder of those.

I'm also really into Doctor Who, so I'm also looking out for good recs. I would suggest 'The Ten Doctors' which is really, exactly what it says on the tin. Hey, I like multi-doc stories;

http://comics.shipsinker.com/?id=16

(Technically its a comic, but it reads like a written story, trust me).

As for shipping- I'm not into it. I just can't get myself invested in romance, and much prefer character, plot and friendship driven stories. If I ship, it will almost certainly be a cannon ship, but I'm not going to get angry at those who don't ship more creative things. (The only couple I've ever actively put together is AmyXRory, since they're adorable).

Edit: Oh, My Immortal. I tried to read that, but gave up. I can only lose so many brain cells, after all.

Edited by Completely Different

I like drifting in and out of fandoms, it can be fun.

The crazy shippers who attack anybody who doesn't follow their ship and who think they're the best scare me, though. I like my ships, but I'm not about to shove them down anybody's throat or anything, everybody can like what they want... Especially since I've changed ships myself in a few instances. xd.png

I mostly look at fanart and read fanfiction, though lately (read: since '09, lol) tried my hand at some for Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, (to anybody who happens to be curious, I'm AntiSora over there, but be wary of my work--some of it is more mature, and anything that comes before "Of Beetles and HalfElves" sucks horribly. Especially "Love Will Always Prevail"--it is a steaming pile of rotting censorkip.gif and should not be viewed ever. I only keep it up because for some reason some people seem to like it [not sure why, really], and I hate it when stories I like vanish...)

Honestly, that LWAP one is kinda the one thing I've written that makes me cringe the most. I'd re-write it, but for the facts that 1) I no longer ship that pairing, and 2) I hate it too much to look at it. But I'm sure anybody who's written fanfiction (or just written in general) has written (or thought of) at least one story they regret deeply, and feel great shame about... And I have so many more that never made it out of notebooks that I'm so darn glad I never tried to show to anybody. They will never see the light of day.

When reading fanfictions, I tend to like the ones that are well-written best, though I'm happy enough to read something less well-written if it's for a pairing/character I love but there isn't enough of (aka Richter/Emil, Ratatosk/Emil, and anything involving Aster from the ToS2 fandom, seeing as that's what I'm most into right now, ahahah...)

I tend to like male/male pairings best, but I'm pretty happy with anything that makes sense, or can be forced to work in a darker manner. And sometimes I just have a taste for crack pairings, because they're a break from what makes sense and make me smile. Or it just works in a dark and twisted way in some kind of censorkip.gif ed-up AU or something.

Sometimes the dark stories are the best ones. Ahahah...

I also have an account on AdultFanFiction, I'm ShadowOfLight there.

And I've got a secret second account that I will not actually share with anybody, and they have to figure it out for themselves, that I use to post stories relating to something I'd rather most people not connect me to, ahahah... .W.

I hate, though, when a story is started then abruptly stopped with no word on why or anything. T.=.T That's why I prefer to have my stories either finished or having a very good, very solid start before I post them, and why I refuse to promise regular updates. A story that's just an idea stuck in limbo is better than a wonderful story that's been stopped abruptly. T.=.T Dead fics depress me. :<

Normally I hate AU stories, too, but I don't mind some of them. And I usually despise high school AU stories, but I've found one or two that are okay--mind you, I don't mind if if the high school AU could actually make some kind of logical sense, but I don't like the ones (usually) where they take characters from a fantasy setting that has no such thing and throw 'em into an HS setting. :| And vamp fics, those tend to drive me nuts. D<

If anybody is a ToS2 fan (and a male/male pairing fan), I suggest Dimensional Rift* (Richter/Aster/Emil threeway pairing, AUish), Lose Control* (Richter/Emil pairing, AU), School Life* (Richter/Emil pairing, High school AU BUT ONE THAT ACTUALLY DOESN'T SUCK, which is kinda rare from what I've seen), quite a few of the stories by The.Reaper.Game (Ratatosk/Emil, mostly), several works by Sekana Katayama (Richter/Emil, specifically coming to mind are "Maid for Reconnaissance", "Delicious", "What is Love?", and "Awkward"), among quite a few others but that would take a long time to list. xd.png

*Have not been updated in some time, and at least one of which may be discontinued.

As you can tell, the ToS2 fandom is really where I'm happy right now, have been for a while, and plan to stay for quite some time. xd.png

/wordy post (Forgive me, it's getting late and I get rambly when I get tired. xd.png)

(Obligatory My Immortal related statement: It hurt to read, but got a lot funnier when I did a dramatic reading for my cousins.)

Richter/Aster biggrin.gif

Anyway, the only real fandom I'm really a part of is the Baten Kaitos fandom. It's tiny and I think I know just about everyone.

Normally I hate AU stories, too, but I don't mind some of them. And I usually despise high school AU stories, but I've found one or two that are okay--mind you, I don't mind if if the high school AU could actually make some kind of logical sense, but I don't like the ones (usually) where they take characters from a fantasy setting that has no such thing and throw 'em into an HS setting. :| And vamp fics, those tend to drive me nuts. D<

Interesting thing about AU stories- I used to hate them, and they're still not my favourite. I don't really like deviating from the cannon, and in my experience most of them were High School AU fics that removed most of the plot But I've gained an appreciation for them. A couple years back, I saw this A;TLA that everyone was recommending. Finally I got over my prejudice and read it and...wow. It was great. A basic concept was changed, but this just allowed the characterization to be more deeply explored in new and different ways.

So yeah; in general, they're bad, like in the settings you said, but there really are some gems. Wish it hadn't taken me so long to realise.

I used to write a lot of fanfic, but I don't write so much any more. My ff.net account still exists, though my last fic was posted in like 2008. Mostly I stick with obscure video game fandoms like Secret of Mana/Legend of Mana/Valyrie Profile. And, most of what I write is crack. I love crackfic.

Edited by AngelKitty

Richter/Aster biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif One of the most adorable pairings ever~<3 /inability to stop smiling just thinking about it! ...Damnit, now I really wanna go write more fanfiction with the two of them. xd.png Then again, I should stop putting off those two stories...~<3

Interesting thing about AU stories- I used to hate them, and they're still not my favourite. I don't really like deviating from the cannon, and in my experience most of them were High School AU fics that removed most of the plot But I've gained an appreciation for them. A couple years back, I saw this A;TLA that everyone was recommending. Finally I got over my prejudice and read it and...wow. It was great. A basic concept was changed, but this just allowed the characterization to be more deeply explored in new and different ways.

So yeah; in general, they're bad, like in the settings you said, but there really are some gems. Wish it hadn't taken me so long to realise.

Yeah, it's always nice to find those gems amongst the rubbish stories out there. And if you can find a vampire or high school AU that's awesome... That's just insane. I've only seen a handful of AU stories that I like compared to the ones I can't stand, because most of the time it's just handled so badly...

Then again, it probably doesn't help that a lot of the ones I see are really badly written, with no respect for spelling, punctuation, or grammar... Or, hell, even complete sentences. DX

Also, since I forgot to post it...

My Immortal is child's play. You haven't seen true horror until you've read laura and legolas. >_>

Oh, fandom. <3

I used to be part of fandom, but I kinda grew out of it. Wrote fanfics and slashy yummy and AU and all that fun stuff.

I still die for my ships though. Canon be damned.

Oooh, fandoms.

I'm into the Inception fics right now, although I have read Harry Potter, Code Lyoko, Death Note, a little bit of Star Wars, Fruits Basket, Avatar TLA, and some Dragonriders of Pern. Yep, I'm all over the place.

And I do ship. I have a One True Pairing for just about every fandom I've dabbled in. I have a folder in my bookmarks for all my favorite fanfiction, which I open occasionally and re-read, but I'm not actively searching for new ones any more.

(If anyone wants recs from me, I'll gladly oblige.)

I sometimes do feel that my fanfics write me... because more I write them, the more I believe that they are totally real... o.o?

My fanfic-writing started when me and my friend started writing a fanfic story about Cyborg 009, but then it turned into something we totally did NOT expect... By the time we reached the fourth chapter, the story no longer was a Cyborg 009-fic, but a totally original fiction featuring our original characters and only a small hint of the cyborgs themselves. And it also contained a nice dash of Pokémon, as well... Nowadays we write a one-shot pretty much every day, each of those stories featuring original characters. And believe me, we have tons and tons of OCs... especially me. I don't know, I got this kind of a compulsion to keep creating new characters... xd.png Right at this moment, I'm working on about 3 different stories:

-one that is a very weird mixture of Resident Evil and Pokémon, starring our favorite villain, Albert Wesker (yes, I'm totally serious here)

-another one featuring original characters, set in the world of Elder Scrolls IV-Oblivion

-yet another one set in the world of Pokémon, featuring both legendary pokemon and a nice group of OCs

All of these stories are written in finnish, but their names and chapter names are in english, because everything sounds better in english. \,,/ And do NOT expect me to upload them. I'm way too shy to do that.

Now that is a LOOOOONG post... time to rest my fingers for a while.

Be warned: This is extremely dark. Like 'holy crap, you'll never look at Rose the same' dark, and the author did give it an 'M' rating. But it's absolutely amazing, wonderfully written. The author also has a few other (rated T or lower, for that matter) stores that are just as well done.

Ahh, beautiful! I love Ten x Rose.

Does anyone have good DW Master fics? Doesn't have to be romance (and I can't stand slash in this fandom...)

Does anyone have any beautiful Pokemon fanfiction OC (I hate Ash, Misty, the whole gang... I suppose I'm neutral about Paul) ? I'm sick of the rabid shipping and I want something that's nice and has some sophistication that doesn't have 'Go xxxxx' '**** used splas/tackle, etc...' every five seconds.

Edited by DarkEternity

Fullmetal Alchemist and Hetalia Axis Powers are the only two fandoms I'm active in. And I'm leaning more on Hetalia, though I come up with a new FMA fic every once in a while...

Hetalia, meanwhile, has been giving me so many plot bunnies lately that I'm not sure how to cope. Going to the bookstore gives me plot bunnies. Studying history gives me plot bunnies, though that's to be expected since it IS Hetalia. Being on THIS SITE gives me plot bunnies. Plot bunnies. Plot bunnies everywhere.

(Note: Before you read pre-2010 fanfiction.net work, be aware that scene breaks and "!?" marks have been stripped out in many of my stories. I have yet to fix these.)

I write lots of junk, though I don't do it regularly. Usually I get bursts of inspiration, write out a couple quick stories, and back back into silence, surrounded by half-finished fics.

My main fandoms are mostly Nintendo-related; the oldest stories I have any real pride in are for Super Smash Brothers (there's a discontinued MapleStory fic before them, but it's got some troublesome language, if I remember right). I've also done work for Kirby, Mario, and Zelda, and have plans for Pokemon, as well as something for the Vocaloid fandom. I'll also read things for Persona 3, if anyone has recommendations.

I ship...odd things. Sure, I ship Mario x Peach, Link x Zelda, and Meiko x Kaito, but I've also shipped Dedede x Zelda*, Goombario x Bombette**, and Miku x Haku***. I'm not really a hardcore, single-pairing-per-fandom kind of person, though, so I'll read around; for example, I'll read most Link x anyone fics if the story looks promising (like a writer who had Link x Midna and Link x Ilia in the same fic, with Zelda just being his close friend; this author did not vilify any of them, which was my favorite part of the story). There's very few pairings I actually dislike, and most are because they hit personal squicks. In those cases, I just don't look for stories with those pairings, period. Ship wars end badly, and I'm in no mood to start any.

*Usually onesided, and depicted as such in my stories. I don't ship it nearly as much anymore, anyway.

**When I originally shipped this as an adolescent, I was generally unaware of age laws and would have paired them as they are in the game, even though one of them is likely a preteen. Nowadays, I wouldn't write anything more than a childish, onesided crush unless it was years later, when the age gap is less of an issue.

***Although, given the nature of "canon", you can write just about anything you want and technically it'd be in-character. I ship Miku x Haku because of mothy's Story of Evil, so it's not really an out-of-the-blue ship. Still, it's not really common overall compared to, for example, Len x Rin.

I'm on fanficrants, and...ergh. If it's not an author being a jerk that ruins my faith in humanity, it's a clueless member being a jerk that ruins my faith in humanity. Plus, it's shown me the true faces of many fandom people I once considered friends. Still, it's a guilty pleasure of mine for the more hilarious moments.

TVTropes is a lot more fun to look around, although sometimes I keep going back there in hopes of seeing something new, and I don't find it. Mostly I want to see more fanfic recs for the tinier fandoms of mine, but shh. I've been tempted to make a sort of tropes page for a half-fandom half-original RP I'm in with some friends, but it would never be on the site itself because it's a private RP I'm not willing to share.

Speaking of fandom roleplays, anyone else heard of Sumabura Gakuen, aka Smash Academy? It's an SSB-based LiveJournal RP. I was there a couple of times, playing as Goombario, the first (and totally AU and Sueish) version of Zelda, and very briefly Boris (a character from Animal Crossing, so unimportant that he was only in the GCN version); I don't plan to reapp anytime soon, but sometimes I miss being there.

My Immortal...well, it certainly is memorable. I enjoyed doing a find+replace with some other characters' names on choice chapters and sending it to my friend, since he had never seen it before and I wanted to make it count. I'm one of those that thinks Tara was a troll, at least once the quality of the fic somehow managed to dig past rock bottom, although even so, personally I like this guy better (note: TVTropes link).

For right now, I'm laying off on the "defending a hated character" stories, and trying some other things, thouhg I haven't worked on them lately.

Fanfiction.net link - has all the stories

Archive of our Own link - has the most updated versions of certain stories, mainly Great King

I love fanfictions. I've tried writing some... #fail

I prefer to read them, and the fanfictions I read are practically all on pairings. c:

Yaoi and slash are my favourites in anime/manga, movies, books, etc. /shameless fangirl

I enjoy the occasional het pairing too. Fanfiction.net can have a lot of really great stories, but a lot are also written poorly and are burning to the eyes... so LJ is the better place to look for them (there's less "bad" fanfics). (:

Aaaaand I've just created my the second, third and fourth fanmixes, like ever. And I now have tremendous admiration for people who do this regularly, because my goodness, it was time-consuming and fiddly and... yeah. But hey, I had lots of fun creating the cover art. smile.gif

Imma post these here in case anybody's interested. WARNING: some of the lyrics in "The Tapestry of Lies and Truth" and "Magnetism" are fairly adult, but "A Brave New World" should be pretty safe.

Does anyone else create fanmixes and cover art? If so, care to share your creations? I'm always looking for good music in a fannish context!

user posted image

"The Tapestry of Lies and Truth" download available here. Track listing here.

user posted image

"Magnetism" download available here. Track listing here.

user posted image

"A Brave New World" download available here. Track listing here.

Edited by prairiecrow

I write fanfiction. Although I am pretty deep into gen territory (not shipping anything but canon characters and romance takes a backseat to story). I would say I'm decent at it, but I'm nowhere near perfect. But I'm trying to work more with ocs and avoid Marys and Garys. But I enjoy anything with a decent story with out having to delve into 'creepy' pairings.

Like ANT farm pairings. Those guys are my sister's age!

TF2 fandom, though I hate most of the fanbase. I hate especially the dicks that dwell in TF2chan. I ship every character to each other LOL.

Bioshock fandom, I can't complain about, I love them all. : D I ship a few there.

WoW fandom, full of nice people that I've met!

I'm mostly active in the Super Smash Bros fandom in regards to the reading of fanfic. The ff net section of it was initially a ****storm of horribly written ToDs, Fics with Marys and Garys in them, mediocre fic about Link (or the Fire Emblem guys), terribly OOC Smashers, overused and poorly done Send In Your OC plots which mostly involve the final boss of Brawl turning the Smashers into trophies again and OCs needing to rescue them (often times the OCs are overly 'sued), and troll fic. There were some great gems in there though! biggrin.gif I'm going to pull some up later.

I was guilty of actually sending reviews to a particularly bad and infamous in the section ToD that had so many OCs and characters that shouldn't be there (Cloud, Sephiroth, Okami,etc) to 'torture' the Smashers, who were rendered into 1-D bit characters. When fanfiction net cracked down on ToDs, I was relieved. What was rather funny was the immature reactions of some of the ToD authors...won't go into that.

Haven't written any fics, but I'm in the process of starting some. Slash is fine as long as it's done well.

I discovered fandoms a few years ago through Livejournal and have been involved in several ever since. I love them! However, i've found that some fandom are either not fun to be in (Korra is a horrible one to be in- infighting galore!) and some fandom other people love to hate (Elementary gets so much hate from the BBC Sherlock crowd, even though the show hasn't aired yet). The smaller fandom are always better. For example, the Haven fandom is so small and close nit that there is no fighting at all, even when disagreements arise.

As far as Fanfiction goes, I don't mind it. I don't really read any and I never could write any (Writing someone else's character is torture for me). However, of the ones that I HAVE read, I can tell you that they're horribly out of character and make no sense within the actual series. However, despite that, i've come across ones with really great stories. So, I read them as stories and not as Fanfiction. I have come across one that was absolutely horrific in the Korra fandom. Someone on Tumblr mentioned they didn't like it and was sent several DEATH THREATS because of it. Some people take it WAY too seriously.

Cosplay is really fun, i've always wanted to try it sometime. Of course, i'd have to find a female character that isn't dressed like a hooker. It's kind of hard. LOL

I LOOOOVE shipping. However, ship wars are stupid and must be stopped. I've only come across one shipping war and, again, that's within the Korra fandom. Seriously, it's an absolutely horrific fandom.

My Fandom Include:

Haven, Iron Man: Armored Adventures, The Avengers, Sherlock, Elementary, Perception, Castle, Grimm, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, The Mentalist, Rookie Blue, Psych, Warehouse 13

I think that's all... :3

I read (and read and read and read) fanfics, but I hardly ever contribute. TVTropes is time-consuming D:

Slash is okay if occasionally read and depending on the skill of writing, although I used to read it every chance I got. Straight pairings are fine, so long as they don't kill the plot (if it has a plot).

I don't really belong to any fandoms except FFVI, Trigun and Prototype; I like everything I look into but don't bother with shipping/fandom wars or anything like that--it's more fun to see how people show their love of their pairings than yell at them for not corresponding with my preferences. I've no problem with being converted, either. Headcanon is changeable in my book (but I've read a fanfic that made so much sense it almost changed my headcanon except that would mean my favorite character would die D: Now I have two warring headcanons for that fandom).

My actual focus changes often, usually whatever I've seen most recently. I have read several fanfics where I only know the basics of the canon, and end up liking the canon itself.

Also you guys should visit Spacebattles I love those fics.

I love writing fanfictions and I love reading them too. If anyone's interested, there's a link to my FF.net account in my sig. As far as shipping goes, I can only find myself shipping in Avatar: The Last Airbender or Legend of Korra.