gamblers

Fandom!

There doesn't seem to be a general topic for this, so I was wondering about everyone's thoughts on fandom and shippers, in general. It's a pretty difficult thing to avoid, what with at least 20% of the internet dedicated to Rule 34. So what do you think about the people who write fanfic, who cosplay, who RP, who ship like crazy and fight wars over ships, who fanmix and fancast and fangirl and fanboy and accuse each other of being fangirl and fanboy? What do you think of Cassandra Clare, that famous plagiarizing fanbrat-turned-bestselling-author? What do you think of fanfic in general? What do you think of fandom_wank, fanficrants, fandomsecrets, tv tropes?

What fandoms are you a part of? I'd love to find people with common interests. :D

Keep in mind that this isn't just restricted to books and tv shows, fandom stretches all across the spectrum, from RPS in politics to tinhats and anthropomorphic animals and objects and internet memes and everything else under the sun.

And actually a while ago, I saw a secret on f!s about shipping different moderators of adoptable sites with each other. DragCave was on there too. Side question: do you ship any of the mods here? ;)

(I-I'm pretty sure that this is the right place to post?? It's sort of a general discussion. If not, please correct me. ;w;)

I write fanfic, but I only ship in the case of... Mass Effect, I think it is (FemShep/Thane, dammit). Fandom is like anything else- there's great stuff out of it (I have some amazing Doctor Who and ME2 fanfic bookmarked), great art, and friends. Then you get into the crazies/rule 34/Mary sues, but... eh. Sturgeon's Law.

Cassandra Clare... Well, I honestly can't say, seeing as how I held one of her books for half a minute before putting it back because of a huge endorsement from Stephanie Meyer on the front, but I've heard the story. I don't approve.

As to TV Tropes... I've got two open tabs and a link to one in my sig, what do you think? :K (Not a troper, funnily enough...)

Care to rec me any Doctor Who? I'm not super familiar with the fandom but I've been meaning to get into it for a while. JUST ANOTHER ONE I WANT TO TACKLE along with SPN but the lj fandom is seriously turning me off of that /sobs.

Did you ever see the Sparkle Project review of City of Bones? Good stuff, man.

And lmao same here! I go on there and I end up with like 230948209 tabs open on my browser and there's always more.

Bit of a sci-figeek here, but I'm something of a Jack of all fandoms, master of none. Everything from Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate, to Firefly, Buffy, and Farscape. I'm currently flying my way through the Dresden Files book series.

As far as the fandom community in general, again I touch on bits of it but I'm not hugely active. Not a ficcer, preferring to work with my own characters and worlds, but I am on some fan forums (most often a favorite LOTR forum). I costume ( http://diannethegeek.com ) and I hit Dragon*Con every year. I lurk sites like fandom_wank and I've been known to dabble in a little fan art here and there.

SFF is part of my life, but not any one fandom.

Care to rec me any Doctor Who? I'm not super familiar with the fandom but I've been meaning to get into it for a while. JUST ANOTHER ONE I WANT TO TACKLE along with SPN but the lj fandom is seriously turning me off of that /sobs.

Did you ever see the Sparkle Project review of City of Bones? Good stuff, man.

And lmao same here! I go on there and I end up with like 230948209 tabs open on my browser and there's always more.

Be warned: This is extremely dark. Like 'holy crap, you'll never look at Rose the same' dark, and the author did give it an 'M' rating. But it's absolutely amazing, wonderfully written. The author also has a few other (rated T or lower, for that matter) stores that are just as well done.

Edited by Dr. Paine

Hmm...I don't think I've ever heard anything about plagarizing fanbrat-ism from Cassandra Clare. That being said, I rather did like her books.

I tried my hand at writing fanfic once. I wasn't any good at it. I kept getting distracted, losing my inspiration, turning characters into Sues/Stus, and all in all did a really bad job of it.

I really admire the people that can write good fanfiction. They've got talent that I can only dream of. As for the people who write bad fanfiction... Well, that's a rant for a different thread.

I also admire the people who can pull off complicated cosplays. That takes a lot of time and effort, and there is very little payoff other than the feeling of a job well done. I have cosplayed at my local AnimeFest, but I had to borrow the outfit from a friend. This year I'm going to try to make my own costume. No telling how that will turn out.

I tend to stay out of shipping wars for the most part, but darn if they aren't fun to watch. Remember the Zutara vs. Kataang vs. Maiko war a few years back? I got a lot of giggles out of that one. As for shipping in general, I've had my fair share of OTPs and crack pairings, and supported them in my own way.

I consider myself a part of a large number of fandoms, most of them old school anime. The first Digimon series, Dragonball and Dragonball Z, Case Closed, Lupin III, Cowboy Bebop, Yu Yu Hakusho, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Vampire Hunter D, Kingdom Hearts, Wicked, and Yu-Gi-Oh are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I'd have to say that I'm involved in Yu-Gi-Oh more than any other fandom. No other show has ever held my attention like that one. When I read fanfiction, it's usually Yu-Gi-Oh fanfiction. When I look for fanart, it's usually YGO I'm searching for. When I daydream, YGO is usually the fandom that takes center stage. Even though the rest of my friends have lost interest, I just can't pull myself away from it. I don't even WANT to pull myself away from it.

@Dr. Paine Oh wow, thanks! Getting into it and I quite like her style. =D

And Cassie Clare...I just plain don't like her tbh. The Sparkle Project Review sort of cemented that. >> http://ceilidh-ann.livejournal.com/70548.html

skdfjsldkjf I used to be a huge fan of ygo! :DDD Loved the fanfic over there, and in GX, too. It was probably one of the first fandoms I was in. Started writing for Guardians of Ga'Hoole first, but Yu-Gi-Oh! was always love at first sight. Especially Kaiba/Jou. Can't remember what it's called again? And darkshipping. Oh god so many shipping names in that fandom, couldn't keep any of them straight. XD

Huh...interesting. P:

Generally I keep my opinion on a creator, and my opinion on their work separate.

I may hate Vic Mignogna with the passion of a thousand suns, but that doesn't stop me from liking whatever show/game he may provide his "talent" for.

*raises hand*

Hello, my name is prairiecrow, and I ship slash. biggrin.gif

I've written in various fandoms; at the moment I'm working in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine shipping Garak/Bashir (which is absolutely marvelous because both the actors and one of the writers have admitted that they were deliberately building in homosexual subtext to the roles, at least early on).

Three of my stories, available on an open LiveJournal community:

"Minimalist, Baroque" (soft R, 730 words)

"A Kiss Goodbye" (PG-13, 867 words) (WARNING: There's an NC-17 bit in the comments to this story, but if you don't scroll down into the comments themselves you should be safe.)

"How Do You Say 'Seduction' in Kardasi?" (R, 1000 words)

Mind the ratings, kiddies!

Personally I try to stay out of fandom drama as much as I can, but my oh my, it's so interesting to observe from a distance. I tend to gravitate toward fandoms with a minimum of fuss attached to them, although I must admit that some of the dust-ups in Harry Potter fandom have had me LOLing on occasion.

I've RPed in The Matrix fandom -- ran an online game for three years, as a matter of fact, and had a heck of a good time (but I had a small group of excellent players, which accounts for the general merriment and success of the campaign).

My general attitude when it comes to fandom could be best summed up as "Live and let live." Don't start dissing my choices and I won't start dissing yours. smile.gif

(And TV Tropes? BEST. WEBSITE. EVAH. For reals.)

Edited by prairiecrow

Generally I keep my opinion on a creator, and my opinion on their work separate.

This is true, too. There are fanfic authors whose writing I love, but whose personality just makes me cringe a little inside. And there are also people who are unbelievable awesome, but can't write for crap. But CC is neither of those. :\

\o/ oooh another slash fan! /brofist

Fandom drama is so much fun imo. XD I get such a kick from reading comment threads on fandom secrets. People arguing over the definition of a 'drabble'. Fanficrants. Oh god the people on there are hysterical.

Oh man I have seen people just fall apart, friendships ruined, because of slash and fandom fights. So dumb, lol.

I tend to slash when I want to, usually I find myself getting kind of annoyed if I can't. Sad isn't it? BU

Be warned: This is extremely dark. Like 'holy crap, you'll never look at Rose the same' dark, and the author did give it an 'M' rating. But it's absolutely amazing, wonderfully written. The author also has a few other (rated T or lower, for that matter) stores that are just as well done.

... oh my.

Welp that's the first I've ever read.

... oh my.

Welp that's the first I've ever read.

I made Rhea read fanfic? biggrin.gif ... was it a good first one?

For the record, I get most of my fanfic from the recommendation page on TV Tropes, Stardust Girl included.

I made Rhea read fanfic? biggrin.gif ... was it a good first one?

For the record, I get most of my fanfic from the recommendation page on TV Tropes, Stardust Girl included.

... yes? It was well-written and all, though I think something a bit more sappy would've been better to ease me in. I don't even know.

;________________;

... yes? It was well-written and all, though I think something a bit more sappy would've been better to ease me in. I don't even know.

;________________;

... if you knew ME2, I could recommend a wonderfully well written but sappy fic D: (Seriously. If you have even an inking of the Mass Effect universe, go read this. Now.)

Let's see if I can list a few...

-Invader Zim

-South Park

-Family Guy (and the spinoffs)

-A lot more I can't remember right now due to sugar, cold, and lateness.

I'm writing an Invader zim fanfic right now. I'll post a link if anyone wants to read.

that was a pretty darned good fic. *___* the drama. what even I cannot handre it. hnnnngh where is that sequel. I'm not even in this fandom!! D<

And l-lol my first fanfic was this smutty Draco/Ginny thing archived on FictionAlley. Some older friend of mine made me read it; she printed out like the first ten chapters of it. She also made me watch Naruto.

...now that I think about it, she pretty much single-handedly corrupted me into fandom. My life. ;____;

eta:

+South Park

the normal version or the yaoi animu and mango version? /shot

Edited by gamblers

that was a pretty darned good fic. *___* the drama. what even I cannot handre it. hnnnngh where is that sequel. I'm not even in this fandom!! D<

And l-lol my first fanfic was this smutty Draco/Ginny thing archived on FictionAlley. Some older friend of mine made me read it; she printed out like the first ten chapters of it. She also made me watch Naruto.

...now that I think about it, she pretty much single-handedly corrupted me into fandom. My life. ;____;

A TARDIS was grown wth the help of pizza and a pie tin. Or a pizza tin. I forget just what.

Also check out this if you want unbridled humor.

... if you knew ME2, I could recommend a wonderfully well written but sappy fic D: (Seriously. If you have even an inking of the Mass Effect universe, go read this. Now.)

I don't get it. Oh well.

What's the name of the most horribly written one, it escapes me... the main char is something like Ebony Raven somethingsomething[insertemowords].

I don't get it. Oh well.

What's the name of the most horribly written one, it escapes me... the main char is something like Ebony Raven somethingsomething[insertemowords].

My Immortal. I have yet to read it myself, but when I have the time and liquids needed, I do intend to go through it and do the TV Tropes' drinking game for it.