DragonNighthowler

You Just Feel It...

Wow, wrote this quiet a while ago.

I ended up giving up on The Magicians about 120 pages into the book, so there is that.

I bought The Way of Kings from Brandon Sanderson for a book reading blog I follow and, while I was expecting to hate it and it did challenge me several times with all the whinning the main character goes through, I ended up liking it. It's a bit too long and at times I had to put it down because certain scenes carried on for longer than they should, but it was ok.

Now I'm reading Furies of Calderon from Jim Butcher. I happen to like Dresden Files so I was expecting to like this book. I'm 28% into it and while it's not terrible... it isn't what I thought it'd be. I'll finnish it, but unless it does some interesting turn in the plot or something, I doubt I'll pick up the rest of the series.

To begin with, there are only a few genres I'm actually interested in, which happens to be horror, thriller, and fantasy(anything with magic). Even though I would prefer to read just those genres I just absolutely LOVE reading anything I can get my hands on. Whether or not it seems boring I will still be happy to be reading.

Except for this one book. I don't remember the name of it but it was about some psychiatrist caring for phobias. It honestly was beyond boring to read, and it seemed as if the writer bullsh*ted the entire time. I had to re-read so many pages because I would get so confused. The writer rambled so much and drew out the chapters unnecessarily long. The characters were insanely stupid but somehow everything worked out for them?

Everything about this book was driving me up the walls. But me being stubborn I refused to stop reading it. Well until about a third of the book was left. It was like they tried building up the climax too early and didn't know what to do so they just shifted scenes entirely to keep you from thinking about it. It just didn't make sense what the heck was going on and again added nothing to the story.

I even skipped to the end to see how it played out because I knew I would not be finishing it, but of course it still didn't make sense. Never have I been seething at a book before. It is the first book I have ever not finished. I gave it to my mom and haven't seen it since! Now I'm wary every time I read anything with the same writing style as that writer. Just thinking about the book is irritating so time to go read fairytales! xd.png

I felt this way for this book, Fablehaven, and I just find it incredibly boring :/ i want to tey to read it again though

Same happend with Eragon. Tried to enjoy it, but lost interest.

Although that was 2 years ago, I'll try again

I'm that way about Robert Jordan. I just could not get into the Wheel of Time series (though my brother in law was raving about how good it was).

I couldn't get past the first couple books of the Chronicles of Narnia either.

Now I'm reading Furies of Calderon from Jim Butcher. I happen to like Dresden Files so I was expecting to like this book. I'm 28% into it and while it's not terrible... it isn't what I thought it'd be. I'll finnish it, but unless it does some interesting turn in the plot or something, I doubt I'll pick up the rest of the series.

I'm reading them at the moment! Furies is a bit slow to get going, but gets better by the end and the rest of the books in the series are better. I think Butcher just needed to really get the world established in the first book, so it ended up a bit boring.

The Secret Garden I actually put down as I couldn't get into it. My mum actually ended up reading it and then suggested I tried again as it got better after the first few chapters. Its now one of my favourite books. I agree that it's not a brilliant book and it's hard to relate to because the world just isn't like that anymore, but it's still a good story (and I haven't seen the movie)

Oh, and I would never have picked up a copy of Pride and Prejudice to read, but I loved Pride And Prejudice and Zombies - it was hilarious!

Only book I can think of recently where I've given up is Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I saw the movie and came away from it feeling like I must have been missing something, so tried to read the book, but was so bored I gave up.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, by Susanna Clarke. Managed to force myself through a third of it before I finally gave up. Life's too short.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, by Susanna Clarke. Managed to force myself through a third of it before I finally gave up. Life's too short.

I was surrounded by people who thought it brilliant, but only painfully managed to get about halfway through it before giving up.

"Magician" by R. Feist. I have heard good things about the Riftwar Saga and have been meaning to read it for ages but ... so far it's just BAD.

I don't mean that the actual storyline is bad, there are a lot of overdone tropes in there but I don't have a problem with that part. The writing is bad. Like, poor fanfiction bad.

The characterisation is skewif, conversations are awkward and meandering, the pacing is a bit awful and it is so SO SO ... overly overt. I don't even know how to describe the badness, but that seems to be the best I can come up with. There isn't any subtlety to the tale, I feel like I'm reading a rambling account of a dream that the author had. It's just badly written.

(I am reading the newer "uncut" edition, so maybe it wasn't so bad in the original?)

Did anyone else have this experience? Should I hang in there?

Edited by NatPur

This is probably a really unpopular opinion, but I couldn't get past the second page of Tomorrow, When the War Began. I think it's the first-person narration that gets to me.

It was actually quite the OPPOSITE with me the only time I can remember.

I thought I would love the third book of the Divergent series, since the first two books were promising. But eventually I gave up because it was so...boring and did nothing for me. Then I raged when I was spoiled the ending. Spoiler:

All that effort to survive, and Tris just kills herself? Seriously? Come on, Ross. You can end it better then that.

It was actually quite the OPPOSITE with me the only time I can remember.

I thought I would love the third book of the Divergent series, since the first two books were promising. But eventually I gave up because it was so...boring and did nothing for me. Then I raged when I was spoiled the ending. Spoiler:

All that effort to survive, and Tris just kills herself? Seriously? Come on, Ross. You can end it better then that.

A friend of mine keeps insisting I read Divergent (the series). I watched the movie and was not impressed, so I'm not really keen about it.

Right now I'm with The Fifth Sorceress by Robert Newcomb. It's not as bad as Wizard's First Rule (Terry Goodkind), but it's close to it. What a horrible book!

The Fault in our Stars

Just ew...

I thought I would love the third book of the Divergent series, since the first two books were promising. But eventually I gave up because it was so...boring and did nothing for me.

Agree with both of these posts. I've read them both but couldn't find the appeal behind The Fault in Our Stars no matter how many people were shrieking about how amazing it was. And Divergent was alright I suppose, however I wasn't interested enough to keep going with the second in the series. Right now The Casual Vacancy is really getting to me... 100 pages in and literally nothing has happened at all. Everyone is having thoughts and feelings about the guy that dies on page 3 and that's literally all that has happened so far.