Twilightdreamer1979

Pros and cons of keeping dragon pairings

TBH I don't see any real cons in having lifemates. If you keep one dragon mated to only one other dragon, it puts the risk of refusal down to zero. So you'll always get an egg or not. :U

Most of my silvers are lifemated and they tend to produce fairly well, though after awhile I think they do get tired of each other. I had one pair who stopped producing anything at all from October '10 to January '10, when they finally bred again and threw a couple of silvers in a row. I don't count that really as a con though. xd.png

I don't tend to breed my dragons too much, but I have a Frill that I consistently use for a Green Stripe dragon, so that is a life pairing for me. I mix up the mates between two Bright Pinks I use with my Golds trying to get a Gold; so far they haven't made a Gold yet, but I still mate them in the hopes that they will, and I could use the Pinks.

Con:

both my previous valentine's day dragons are paired with frills sad.gif

they won't breed ever again cause i am not breaking up the breeding pairs, especially the ones relating to love D:

~darkshadow5392

While there are many holiday dragons out there, if a sizable number of people had them permanently paired with Frills or (though I've heard that this can never happen again) something else that should get discontinued we end up making it harder for new people to collect the older dragons due to a smaller breeding pool.

I like the idea of it, but I have also occasionally bred dragons outside their pairs for reasons of practicality or creating a specific egg. I do try and find one mate for each dragon I intend to breed regularly though (especially if it continues an even gen, PB and/or stair lineage), but I don't refuse to ever breed them with others, I just try to normally breed them with that one.

Both my silvers, my first thunder, and some of my reds and pinks all have permanent mates that I only breed them with, and quite a few more have ones that I usually breed them with but have bred them with others too.

I do like the idea of mating for life, I guess I'm a bit of a romantic tongue.gif

Edited by jreid9001

I used to have lifemates with my Metallics, but recently I started scattering the breeding about to make more combinations. I breed them mostly with blacks now, to breed more metallics and find alt blacks, killing two birds with one stone.

However, as for my oldest pairings, I don't have the heart to break them up tongue.gif

I've just read on another thread that TJ tends to keep the same pairings when he breeds his Dragons...... hmm interesting laugh.gif

TD.x.

For me, it really depends on the rarity of the dragon and how much sleep I got last night.

The first dragon I breed a rare with who doesn't get rejected will be stuck with each other for good. Uncommons/commons, however, I sometimes try to keep them with one mate, but I tend to accidentally absent-mindedly (or perhaps sleepily) breed them with another dragon.

My shinies and rares usually get lifetime mates (such as my GoldxWhite and GoldxWinter pairings). For other breeds, they usually just go to anyone, unless that dragon is part of a planned lineage (so they can only go with their mate).

well, I'm going to have one CB lifemate pair of each breed on my scroll. I have so far a Split, Albino, Electric, Pebble and Autumn pair. also my Pinks from the Hope Lineage are life-mated. well, that's all, all the other dragons on my scroll are bred randomly.

I have three modes when it comes to this.

Linage projects.

All dragons in my personal linage projects are pretty much lifemated. It saves me the hassle of trying to keep track of who is where in the linage. It also helps me keep track when someone says I was.....gen even I know who to mate to make that possible since most of my linages are even gen.

Rares

I often mate my rares with the same mates but it is not as rigid as the linage projects.

Everything else

Grab bag of sorts. Most dragons I will breed with whatever. A choice few do have prefered mates that I will usually breed them with if nothing else is requested.

I keep my pairs typically to avoid wasting a lot of scrolling time when breeding, and to avoid refusals. If a pair is proven, especially a rare pair, I won't typically chance a refusal.

However, I do still allow for some flexibility when breeding for other people.

Con: CUTS INTO MY BREEDING CREATIVITY!

Pro: Erm . . . eh . . . it makes . . . um . . . developing new lineage ideas harder, for those who don't enjoy going through life with ease.

That's about it.

I clearly have a very strong bias here. tongue.gif

A less emotional response: The big con I can see to having life pairs involves the release of new dragons. How do people deal with it when a breed is released that looks perfect with a certain dragon that's already been life mated? For commons I can see it not being a big deal, since you can always catch more to pair up. But it boggles my mind to see people choosing to life mate such dragons as Tinsels and holiday breeds, thus completely ruling out unknown possibilities of the future.

Edited by Goslander

I used to lifemate most of my dragons, but since I've discovered how much I like even-gen, some of those pairings have had to change. A lot of those however I have just stopped breeding, so they can be lifemated but celibate. One of my rosebud's is almost lifemated while the other is a lot less choosy. Same goes for my CB Blacks, one is lifemated (although wasn't in the past) while the other I will test out with anything to find pretty combinations I like.

Overall though I have a lot of near-lifemates, who are kind of lifemates but If I need to switch them around for a lineage project, personal or otherwise, I won't think twice before doing so. That and I need to keep looking to find the prettiest combo's anyway.

I have several proven 'pairs' so why mess with a good thing? At the same time I have other dragons who flit from mate to mate. I really like the fact that most of the time my pairs will produce. But nothing beats that split-second wait to see if the breeding took or not. Luckily my Scroll is big enough I can have both.

I like lifemating, although I do have switched some pairings recently for lineage purposes. Since I'm a nutter with planning lineages, I try to keep things easy and tidy, and for that I need to keep my pairings mated. It also helps me avoid inbreeding if I try to expand certain proyects and helps me keep records on what's going on.

Most of my dragons don't have lifemates as it were except for Witch Legacy and Golden Ray of Light, those two have always bred quite well with each other except for the last four months where breeding blacks and metallics are almost impossible.

I also have some even gen mates that I breed and because they are an even gen and the pattern for the lineage is often followed it makes for something nice and easy to give away or may be wanted.

Pros: You know they mate and breed well with each other.

Cons: You may decide to break the mating during times when breeding isn't good and try with other partners just to see if it helps your luck in any way shape or form.

Thank you Socky! wub.gif

Is there a thread here discussing the decision to re-pair a certain pairing?

I'm not sure if this dragon is a good example.. or if this was caused by the black/metal breeding drough,

http://dragcave.net/progeny/kBpE

The silver grew up on, Feb 24, 2011

Bred 3 blacks on,

Egg Laid on: Mar 03, 2011

Egg Laid on: Mar 10, 2011

Egg Laid on: Apr 02, 2011

... no eggs from then until... today! from a new female,

Egg Laid on: Oct 23, 2011

This is more than 6 months of breeding every week, I wonder if there's a thread somewhere to find out 'how to know when a re-pairing is needed'

^I've been wondering about this for the longest time, there's a bunch of golds and silvers who bred no eggs for more than 6 months,

I have a a lot of good permanent pairs on my scroll(like my recent alt black and gold pair) but I also like to have plenty of dragons who are not life-mated(especially my only holiday dragon, PinkLoveHeart) for when I need an specific egg for something.

I like to keep certain pairs together because I think they look nice, but it's a flexible relationship.

I have some life-mated pairs. I'm a sappy romantic, so I like the idea. But I also have some dragons (namely my pinks, nebulas, and reds) that I let be rather free. Mostly because for a while I only had one pink male and my red refused all the other reds.

I don't know if anyone's thought of this before or suggested it or whatever, but I had an idea when I looked at this thread's title-

what about a BSA based on this?

like, if you choose a mating pair, those two are then limited to breeding only with each other. there may or may not be a benefit or downside to it.

it would make it easier for people who have lifemate pairings, AND possibly offer an incentive.

(if it's been brought up and shot down before, feel free to ignore me.

I have several faithful pairs they're sort of cute together

Suzy Spark(Electric) x Big Royal(Royal Blue)

Maritime Marilyn(water Hoarse) x Maragon(Hoarse)

Ironically

Shiva Icelorn(Winter Seasonal) x Fell Flame Nigel(Ember)

Silhouet Midnight(Black Alt) x Drake Luna(Moonstone)

I have a fair amount of dragons who have lifemates, but when trading opportunity or breeding requests call I sometimes make them 'cheat' on each other (although I always head-justify it by saying that they just found a stray egg and helped take care of it together while their mates were off doing other stuff, haha xd.png).