Sign in to follow this  
mjhsucks

Deviant ART

I'm too lazy to move all my stuff, plus I'm not good enough for other sites. I use dA because I make crap :P

For more professional people dA is not the way to go unless you're selling stuff. Or unless you want to inflate your ego.

I agree, the mods need to stop slacking and start being more strict with what people see (and need eyebleach afterwards for).

I haven't had too many problems with DA yet- though I got some viruses from it when I had AdBlock off. But I've met some nice artists.

There are several people that a deliberately rude to people on there (more often then not becasue they don't agree with them) and then they go and brag about it.

I just registered there a little while ago but I already found a lot of those rude people.

for example that little troll bugging my favourit webcomic artist:

just read the comments... dry.gif

actually i only joined because I wanted to have a place to post my photos and show my friends without mailing them...

It's still elfwood only for me. wub.gif

I was told it's rude to not reply to comments, and 99% of the time there's nothing much to reply to.

That's the first thing I realised after uploeading the first three pics: lots of faves but no comments. And when someone actually wrote something it wasn't anything helpful...

when I comment I'm keeping it short, too. But I tell the artists what I liked/didn't like about their pics!

It's frustrating not to get any feedback and I'm already tired to write a 'Thanks' under every 'beautiful' or 'great'. dry.gif

Oh... and I declined the stupid group invitation just now.... I feel sooo relieved! tongue.gif

Thanks for helping me deside!

I beg to differ that dA is bias against homosexuals. They supported a Spirit Day for LBGT not too long ago. Article is here.. They also had a "coming out" day for the community.

I have found that dA is a very open-minded community. There are so many people it is a matter of finding your niche.

There is a very fine line between artistic nude and pr0nography. There is also a very large yaoi/boyxboy love following. Sakimichan is big on boyXboy love and is a very popular artist, as is Yue-Iceseal. Jocarra is a popular anthro artist. (And that's just 3 artists off the top of my head.) It is a matter of executing your art tastefully. There are plenty of other sites for "distasteful art." dA tries to keep it clean as defined by them (it is, afterall, dA's site), and as a member for 6 years come the end of this month, I have had little to no problems with it. I have some problems with actual members, not dA. But you know what? I have the option to ignore and not visit artists/members I don't like. You can also block people from commenting on your page and art. The site itself is a great place for artists. There are a lot of mainstream artists who frequent the site as well as people who have received job offers and much recognition through deviantArt.

dA hosts many contests that allow artists to gain exposure. Not only that, but members and groups also host contests.

If you don't like the art chosen for daily deviations, then you can switch your channel so you don't see them. I don't like every daily dev chosen, but I am also not the only artist with an opinion on the site. If you don't like mature content, you can filter it out. If you don't like the art you have browsed to, then go to the next. If you don't like groups. don't join them. If you don't like a comment on your art, then hide it. You can always report trolls (there are more than just a few trolls...) as spam or report them to the help desk if you feel you are being harrassed. If you don't like the site, then deactivate your account and don't visit.

As for what is called "fav and running" (fav'ing without a comment or feedback), there are people who don't wish to comment unless they have something meaningful to say. I, for one, am a fav and runner most of the time. If I have something I think the artist will benefit from, then I will comment on it. Otherwise I don't want to post a meaningless comment. A favourite shows up on your user page if you have the widget activated, therefore exposing your art to people who visit a user's page.

You also have to understand that dA is not photobucket, myspace, facebook or a place to host photos. (Hotlinking from dA is not permitted.) It is for artists to share - what else - but art. With millions of members and deviations, I would say the mods and admins are doing a great job. If you have a problem with a gallery moderator, you can always file a report.

"Try to please all and you please no one." And that's the truth.

dA was recently featured on the cover of Entrepreneur Magazine.

And that is my 2 cents.

I don't think it's rude to not reply to all comments/not thank for faves. Honestly, there is better stuff for me to do with my time than getting through tens of profiles just to say thank you etc. I reply to comments when I have something to say/when I'm having a discussion with someone. I also have a disclaimer in the footer of my journal, saying that I'm not going to thank for faves and would appreciate that people didn't leave "thank you for the :+fav:" spam on my profile.

I'm on dA because my friends are there. :shrug: Mostly the community doesn't bother me, since I'm practically unknown. I do point commissions.

I dunno Drac, it seems to be as much of a social site as it is an art hosting site. Edited by RheaZen

Yes, it is considered a social network from the words of Angelo (the CEO) himself. And in all fairness, dA was around before the social networks started popping out of everywhere.

The main thing that differenciates dA from other SNs is that it is not for posting images or random pictures you find on the internet. It is for posting images that you have created yourself as an artist - whether it be traditional or digital art, photography, arts and crafts, et. al. You will find that members will join and upload images that do not belong to them. "I like this picture I found it at (said place) and I thought I would share." Or there are the members that upload images and claim it to be theirs when it is not. Since dA is in fact an art community, to upload images that you did not create yourself is considered copyright infringement/art theft. In dA's ToA it specifies that any images you upload have to be yours, so created by you, and if not yours you have to have written permission from the artist who did create it. You will see many artists who post text (or stamps) on their art stating speciaifcally to not post their art on (your) myspace or facebook or other sites. There is one stamp that comes to mind... "Admire it on my page and keep it off your MySpace."

Perhaps I should have been more clear when I made my initial statement. Hope that makes more sense.

I don't mind the site at all. I enjoy watching others photos and drawings, so that's the reason why I've used dA for almost three years now. It wasn't until last year I started to post my own photos and drawings there. I'm not online there all too much though, maybe one hour at most each day.

And this far I haven't had any problems at all, but it's probably because I'm not all too known there and such things - I'd say that I keep in the shadows where none notice me.

I don't really post much art on there anymore, mainly because I'm too lazy to actually scan anything and I haven't really been drawing much these days anyway.

What I go on there for these days is more the chat network. I've found one or two really nice communities on there and have made a lot of friends, not to mention found a few excellent roleplayers. I personally have never had that much trouble with it, though I know someone who was banned because her friend hacked someone else's account and has had her art stolen. She's a lot more popular than me, though.

I love the site. The biggest problem are the art thieves and trolls though. :/

The art thieves drive me crazy. I hate how many there are, and how stupid many of them can be. I don't mind the ones that fix it once you talk to them, but so many of them are jerks, and augh! D<

The art thieves drive me crazy. I hate how many there are, and how stupid many of them can be. I don't mind the ones that fix it once you talk to them, but so many of them are jerks, and augh! D<

I feel your pain. I'm currently reverse-trolling a troll. It's very fun xd.png

I've not bothered with the trolls. After looking at ED articles and the sheer effort put into lulzing, I've decided to try and stay out.

:< I'm sad because recently there have been several users submitting stolen art that happens to relate to something I like searching for... And one of 'em was stupid enough to take a picture that shows up if you search for a certain keyword and look at the first page of most popular results from all time. >.=.> The other I just know I've seen...

I absolutely LOVE DA. I've been a member for over two years, and have found little to dislike about it. I love the people, and the art, and the groups, and the community...

It's a nice place to get away for awhile, look at some art, and maybe contribute some of your own and get yourself noticed. Which you undoubtedly will, with a touch of talent. wink.gif

Eh, I honestly don't care for DA but I can weed out the really great photographs and artwork if I try hard enough. DA's rules has gone downhill over the years. I've seen so much sexually explicit art on there that I could shake a stick at, but DA won't do anything about it. About a few years ago they'd take down anything if it exposed genitalia, but nowadays you see more than your fair share of them in the popular sections. I really like artistic nude, but nothing that screams "camera phone Polaroid" with no regards about lighting, composition, impact, and concepts.

I mainly use it as an art dump since I'm trying to design my own website for my artwork. I don't draw anything sexually inappropriate so my art rarely gets attention. I mostly draw Pokemon or my original Demon characters.

Mine is here if anyone's interested.

I like it..but i don't want to have to pay money for certain thing. I think it should just be a site for art. Not having to pay money..unless you want to donate. I don't like that membership thing.

I like it..but i don't want to have to pay money for certain thing. I think it should just be a site for art. Not having to pay money..unless you want to donate. I don't like that membership thing.

You don't have to pay to be a member. You can be a regular member for free, paying just gets you a premium membership. Premium members get a ton of extra stuff, true, but the site is more than usable for free.

I'm actually pulling back from my main DA account for the moment, due to lots of personal issues. Still hanging out on my mostly unknown side account, though. Fun times!

You don't have to pay to be a member.  You can be a regular member for free, paying just gets you a premium membership.  Premium members get a ton of extra stuff, true, but the site is more than usable for free.

Pretty much this.

I've been on dA for 5 years now, from which I've had a paid subscription for the last 2,5 years, by my own choice, because I like the add-ons.

I don't draw anything sexually inappropriate so my art rarely gets attention.

That's a serious overgeneralization. While I agree that much of the stuff that regularly hits the front page (generic cute stuff, boobs, Disney or other popular but not necessarily good franchise fanart, kitten photos etc.) is getting really old, dA is quite much about interaction with other members and often having skill, too. There is also a ton of groups where you can post to gain more exposure.

Edited by lightbird

I love DA; I'm addicted to that place. It's to me what Facebook is to others. I see all kinds of sexual art on there though. Half of it doesn't have a maturity warning either. o.e xd.png

Okay, I've been hanging around FA and checking out the forums. The main site is great. It's set up is like DA, except the submission categories are so much better. Just simple categories. There is a variety of art from traditional and digital drawings, to music and recipes. So far everyone I have spoken to is very friendly. I have even found some DC artists there (Dove is active there!). On the forums people joke, a lot. You can't have thin skin there. You don't have to like anthros at all, they don't even mind if you join just to go to the forums, anything goes. There are plenty of people that give great advice and advanced critiques if you need without being harsh. I haven't even updated my DA because of the place. I'm slowly starting to really like the place and it pretty much means I'm leaving DA in the gutter...I might check in every couple of weeks or so.

Sign in to follow this