mickiloo97

The Moon

Tgere's some thought about leaving Earth and live on Mars or moon. In this case, the moon. Then let the Earth heal itself. (The Earth heals itself through time by the way, if left alone for a long time) smile.gif Then when the moon gets polluted and so too, we leave it and allow it to heal itself again, and we'll find Earth beautiful again.

mad.gif Although I'd say this is a bit of irresponsible.

I'd go still for that if we're responsible enough to minimise pollution.

The amount of time it would take for the planet to "fix itself" is way, way too long for that to ever be viable. As for polluting the moon... well, there isn't really much to ruin. It's not like there's anything living on it. We can mess up an ecosystems, or pollute any water supplies, create endangered species...

The amount of time it would take for the planet to "fix itself" is way, way too long for that to ever be viable. As for polluting the moon... well, there isn't really much to ruin. It's not like there's anything living on it. We can mess up an ecosystems, or pollute any water supplies, create endangered species...

I thought this idea was like living on the moon for around a hundred years or more. Anyway, I guess I'm mistaken.

I thought this idea was like living on the moon for around a hundred years or more. Anyway, I guess I'm mistaken.

It would take so much longer to fix the damage done to the Earth. So, so much longer.

Well, not THAT long, if we won't do anything to harm it. biggrin.gif Be hopeful!

Yeah but we can't put everyone on the moon so people leave the earth to heal itself, not enough room

I have two problems with colonizing the moon:

1. We'll probably end up destroying it like we did the Earth.

2. Money. So much money. Millions of dollars are put into finding a way to live on the moon, while people are dying from terrible diseases and hunger. Instead of moving to a different planet, why don't we worry about the people we have on this planet? All that money should be put into curing diseases and saving lives.

It makes me think of a poster I once saw that showed a picture of a girl in a wheel chair and she was reading the newspaper. A speech bubble above her said "They're prepared to pay how much so a man can walk on Mars?" Instead of using money to visit other planets and the moon we should use the money to help people like that little girl.

I have two problems with colonizing the moon:

1. We'll probably end up destroying it like we did the Earth.

2. Money. So much money. Millions of dollars are put into finding a way to live on the moon, while people are dying from terrible diseases and hunger. Instead of moving to a different planet, why don't we worry about the people we have on this planet? All that money should be put into curing diseases and saving lives.

It makes me think of a poster I once saw that showed a picture of a girl in a wheel chair and she was reading the newspaper. A speech bubble above her said "They're prepared to pay how much so a man can walk on Mars?" Instead of using money to visit other planets and the moon we should use the money to help people like that little girl.

It isn't as if once you spend money, it's gone forever. Putting money into space programs has a myriad of benefits for all sciences, including health care research. It also creates jobs and continues to help stimulate the economy. This is a false dichotomy.

Yeah but we can't put everyone on the moon so people leave the earth to heal itself, not enough room

Another thought: Well, not ALL people on Earth. Maybe parts of it. That could be enough to allow Earth to heal... As I said, this will work if people stop polluting. wink.gif I am not thinking of extreme things like putting ALL people on the moon.

I don't understand why there's anything wrong with colonization of the moon. I mean, it's a rock. It has no animals or plants or anything, as far as we know, so there's nothing to ruin. It'd be like bio-engineering to live in a desert or barren mountains, except better because there's no inhabitants we'd drive out or homes we'd ruin.

If it weren't for the cost we'd probably already be doing it. The pollution thing is a problem (sorry space), but living on the moon would probably need some strict recycling programs to keep that from happening so we wouldn't run out of air/water/materials/what have you.

We're gonna need more farmland for the growing population anyway. Either we move off fertile soil to farm or we make the farms where crops normally wouldn't be able to grow.

I'd hoped we've learned something about not destroying everything around us since the last time we've visited the moon several decades ago.

If we listened to nature we'd live in caves and fear fire, not harness lightning and flight.

Thank you for putting into words what I've been trying to figure out how to say this whole time. It's a little odd to me that people are so worried about us polluting the Moon. Can we focus on cleaning up the Earth first? o_O

Another thought: Well, not ALL people on Earth. Maybe parts of it. That could be enough to allow Earth to heal... As I said, this will work if people stop polluting. wink.gif I am not thinking of extreme things like putting ALL people on the moon.

Yeah but I don't think that this would work unless we cracked down some major regulations for this. People are always going to pollute, whether they realize it or not, indirect or direct.

How "healed" are you expecting?

biggrin.gif Fair question. I like this intelligible discussion.

"Healed" in a sense you can bathe in the rain (no acid rain); drink the water in the rivers, lakes, and springs; swim in the sea and oceans. However, like BlightWyvern said, that won't be too easy. Even if there are strict regulations about this, it won't be always followed. Something like Tragedy of the Commons.

"Healed" in a sense you can bathe in the rain (no acid rain);

All rain is slightly acidic; it combines with the naturally occurring stuff in the atmosphere to form weak acid, usually carbonic.

What you mean is acid rain caused by chemicals in the atmosphere, which causes a different kind of acid rain because the water can combine with different molecules in the atmosphere (H2SO4, sulfuric acid, included, although obviously diluted).

So, you can bathe in the rain. However it will be more acidic and/or a different acid altogether depending on where you are - more polluted areas are more likely to have stronger/different acid rain. Whether it's sanitary by modern health standards is also debatable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't think colonizing the moon is wrong but I'm less curious about colonization as a whole but rather about how we plan on avoiding being irradiated all to heck. Solar radiation is already something of an issue in space travel; here on earth we're safe from it because we have an electromagnetic field (fun fact: the aurorae are caused by solar wind particles interacting with the electromag field, which channels them to the magnetic poles). There is a reason mars and the moon don't have atmospheres.

And then there's the cost and logistics of the whole thing. How do we plan on living there for an extended period of time? And with the shuttles out of commission, how are we going to get there, either little by little or en masse?

I don't think lunar or martian colonization is happening any time soon, probably not in my lifetime unless we get some serious tech advances.

All rain is slightly acidic; it combines with the naturally occurring stuff in the atmosphere to form weak acid, usually carbonic.

What you mean is acid rain caused by chemicals in the atmosphere, which causes a different kind of acid rain because the water can combine with different molecules in the atmosphere (H2SO4, sulfuric acid, included, although obviously diluted).

tongue.gif That's to be more accurate. *nods* Yes, that's what I had in mind.

Colonization on the moon.. hrm.

As a person of science, I say go for it! Let's see some life on the moon.

Thinking on the minds of humankind however, I can see this leading somewhere we shouldn't go. Hubris is the number one reason of war these days, as I've studied, but I don't think we have to worry about a war between worlds for a good time.

Honestly, I think it's about time we got into space and really, really started seeing just what we can do and what we can use.

As a person who also finds the incredible strength in nature, I don't know if I feel comfortable with humans being on such a powerful force like the moon. And I literally mean that - as you know, the moon is very important! I'd prefer it if we had some other place to colonize. Not the moon. It's very important to life and the tides and such. I don't like thinking about if something went wrong and we ruined its pull EVEN slightly. ( Astronomers, help me out. Feel free to tell me if this is or isn't possible! :3 Space isn't my particular forte. )

I'd really like to know, honestly, why some people here think it's "wrong." When you say "wrong," I think you are referring to something that is morally wrong, and.. I cannot see how this is morally wrong. Probably a mistake if we do it wrong, a huge mistake, but yes. XD

I don't like thinking about if something went wrong and we ruined its pull EVEN slightly. ( Astronomers, help me out. Feel free to tell me if this is or isn't possible! :3 Space isn't my particular forte. )

It is extremely unlikely we'd manage to pull off something which would alter the moon's trajectory enough for it to affect anything. Even less possible it is for us to affect gravity. wink.gif

It is extremely unlikely we'd manage to pull off something which would alter the moon's trajectory enough for it to affect anything. Even less possible it is for us to affect gravity.  wink.gif

Ah! Thank you, Shienvien~ :3

As far as me being on board with the colonization of the moon, I'm at like, 85%.

There's a superstitious 15% of me ( probably credited to my native ties ) that thinks we should just not mess with such an incredible, often symbolic, force of life.

Though I can easily recognize what is realistic and not, even in myself, so I think that working with the moon would be an excellent experience for us all and open many more doors!

Come to think of it, I will still remain on Earth. I mean looking at the moon provided inspiration for dreamers and poets. If we're on the moon, we'll be looking at Earth, similar like how we look at the moon. There will be different phases of the Earth.

tongue.gif That would be confusing!

Colonize the moon? Lol you got very high hopes for humanity that society will thrive well enough to get to that stage.

As for the other comment on the first page of for everything that kills one of us and we kill them 4 times over, yeah I agree, just look how people act when a snake bite happens, or bees.

Oh no it can hurt humanity *freaks out* where all glass dolls.... *shakes head* not to mention spiders who help us in the long run.

Colonize the moon? Lol you got very high hopes for humanity that society will thrive well enough to get to that stage.

As for the other comment on the first page of for everything that kills one of us and we kill them 4 times over, yeah I agree, just look how people act when a snake bite happens, or bees.

Oh no it can hurt humanity *freaks out* where all glass dolls.... *shakes head* not to mention spiders who help us in the long run.

Okay, but there's nothing to kill on the moon.

Uhm.... blink.gif I don't think we would bring certain things like that on the moon anyway..

The human race is a disease, a successful disease at that. Sadly we are evolving, becoming more attuned with how things beyond out atmosphere work, and like any virus, when this host is dead, we will need to move on. Such is the drive to survive. We are running this planet dry, running out of resources, space, and its affecting our survival drive. The need to spread and move and live is overwhelming. Personally, I'm rooting fora plague that wipes out 30% of the human race if not maybe more just so we have enough space to keep living. I mean if we lived through the black plauge in times as ignorant as when it happened, we can live through a major plague now with all the science and stuff. So I'm rooting for either a plague or zombies so we can maybe see an end to such over population. I'm horrible I know but most humans suck anyways. I mean with how much corruption, pain, and absolute terror we are causing for this planet, its only a matter of time before mother nature or God, or whatever it is simply gets tired of us and finds a way to kill us all off before we reach the moon. Just wait~

I don't get the hate on humans. We're just animals, the same as all other animals. Successful animals, granted, but animals nevertheless. Other animals have caused extinctions and kill out of sheer boredom or irritation, too. We are the only animals who occasionally figure that we should not be doing it.