mickiloo97

The Moon

I've been watching the Science Channel (I'm a nerd) and scientists have been thinking about if they could colonize the moon. But does anyone see the wrong in that?! It's the moon! Humans belong on Earth! If we belonged on the Moon, we would of evolved there in the first place. But really, does anyone else think that it's wrong? To inhabit the moon.? Come on people.

Why the moon? We'll just screw it up like we did to Earth. :c

edited to add the unhappy face for effect

Edited by xFlame990

I... don't really see anything wrong in the idea of humans living on the moon? I'd find the idea of living there myself rather odd, possibly a bit scary, the same way I would living under water - interesting, lots of scientific possibility there, but potentially panic-inducing if I stopped to think about how easily something could rupture, leaving me helpless in an element I couldn't breathe. Kinda a phobia thing.

But wrong in general principle? No... And it's not as if there's other life there, or even a livable environment as it is, so I'd think that'd allay most concerns of people who fear we'd mess up a different planet through ignorance. *shrugs* That's my thought at this point, at any rate.

If we belonged on the Moon, we would of evolved there in the first place.

"If man were meant to fly, he would have been born with wings."

^ That's what the Wright brothers' father told them when they were designing the airplane. The argument made no sense then, and it makes no sense now. How do you know that future generations of humans won't be meant to live on the moon?

Why the moon? We'll just screw it up like we did to Earth. :c

My thoughts exactly. And if overpopulation is an issue, then we have to stop it, but if anything kills a human, we kill four of it's species. Now how does this work. Anyway...

It is so wrong to inhabit the moon. We'll kill that rock too and then Earth will die.

My thoughts exactly.  And if overpopulation is an issue, then we have to stop it, but if anything kills a human, we kill four of it's species.  Now how does this work.  Anyway...

It is so wrong to inhabit the moon.  We'll kill that rock too and then Earth will die.

....what? Where in the world did you get this sentiment?

I don't see anything wrong with colonizing the moon. If we can perfect space travel, and build a self-sufficient establishment, it may help with the growing overpopulation problem.

Also, the moon isn't properly built to sustain life. We would have to find a way to create an atmosphere, a way for water to properly circulate, a way for plants to grow, and animals to live, before we can even think about creating an actual living colony on the moon. We can't "kill" the moon if it was already barren and devoid to begin with.

Edited by MURDERcomplexx

I don't have a problem with colonization of the moon (other than how much it would cost).

An action is wrong if it violates the rights of a human being or other intelligent creature. Since the Moon is a piece of rock, doing something to the Moon, in itself, cannot be wrong. However, it could be wrong indirectly - if we misuse the Moon wastefully, when future generations could derive a greater benefit from it.

That being said, however, I do not think the Moon is a good place to colonize. Because of its light gravity, people who lived there permanently would be likely to have health problems. And the Moon, while it has some resources, conspicuously lacks many of the resources needed for life.

Lunar mining, as a source of material from which structures in space could be constructed without lifting them out of the gravity well of the Earth, however, is an important and useful step in the expansion of humanity into the Solar System.

Why should humanity expand into the Solar System? What good will it do? Will it help the millions of people who don't have enough to eat because of overpopulation? Of course not, at least not directly, since it is, and will likely remain for a long time, very expensive to launch people into space.

Eventually, though, the descendants of a small number of people launched into space will form a society which will have the resources of the Solar System outside of Earth available to them. The bodies of the Kuiper Belt contain large amounts of carbon, oxygen, hydrogen - and ammonia, which is a form of fixed nitrogen.

They will have access to the energy output of the Sun, as much as they can intercept and utilize.

So they will eventually be in a position to help the people on Earth a great deal.

This is an incredibly bad argument.

How do you feel about submarines?

Or airplanes? Or space stations?

yeah, nothing wrong with moon and good for night light so we can see it. for night.. and not know for plan on moon future unlike Mars? rolleyes.gifsmile.gif

Animals and humans evolve and adapt to their surroundings! Humans evolved in one place (earth), on to another place (moon)!

Animals and humans evolve and adapt to their surroundings! Humans evolved in one place (earth), on to another place (moon)!

This, exactly! Humans started out in Africa-- is it wrong that we live in Europe, Asia, Australia, and the Americas now?

One day this planet will die. If not by our own hands then by asteroid strike, gamma ray burst, or in about 5 billion years when our sun runs out of fuel and consumes us in an enormous red giant. One way or another this planet will die and take every living thing on it along with it. If humanity is to survive, we have to get off of Earth eventually. Why not start with our moon?

I don't think it's wrong, and that's really a terrible argument to try to make...

However, I do want to point out that the costs of doing this currently (ignoring the fact that we don't have the technology to "terraform" yet (I blame Sci-fi for going overboard with that for the past decade or so)), would be much more than we can afford, and would be frankly wasteful. Beyond that though, I'm not a big supporter of sending humans into space, and if this was done, I'd much rather the actual work to make the moon habitable be done by robots than humans (especially if (which it will) NASA is involved... Especially since robots are cheaper both financially and emotionally than a human (food, air, resting time, exercise, free will, etc.) if anything occured.

So really, right now I don't see a need for it, we'd have better luck terraforming deserts on our own planet than trying to do the same in space anyhow... and we have plenty of those... tongue.gif

-K-

One day this planet will die.  If not by our own hands then by asteroid strike, gamma ray burst, or in about 5 billion years when our sun runs out of fuel and consumes us in an enormous red giant.  One way or another this planet will die and take every living thing on it along with it.  If humanity is to survive, we have to get off of Earth eventually.  Why not start with our moon?

Exactly. The earth won't last forever, and if we want to keep on surviving, we are going to eventually have to move to other planets. *shrug*

"If man were meant to fly, he would have been born with wings."

^ That's what the Wright brothers' father told them when they were designing the airplane. The argument made no sense then, and it makes no sense now. How do you know that future generations of humans won't be meant to live on the moon?

This and everyone else mentioning submarines and such.

I don't see how the idea is wrong. That's...a little odd.

However, do I think it's a particularly good idea at this time?

However, I do want to point out that the costs of doing this currently (ignoring the fact that we don't have the technology to "terraform" yet (I blame Sci-fi for going overboard with that for the past decade or so)), would be much more than we can afford, and would be frankly wasteful.

I think that, at the moment, we have too many things to fix here, rather than trying to run away to the moon. =P

Another reason why we should definitely invade the moon is because then we could levitate tongue.gif

I don't think you could levitate, but you could definitely jump higher lD

And you would have to exercise more to prevent bone degradation...

I don't really see what's so "wrong" about colonizing the moon...but I think Mars would be a better place to go >.>

I don't see anything morally wrong with colonizing the moon, but I'd prefer not to do it. I'd like to keep being able to look up and see the moon as it is now, not with stupid little city lights. I think it's pretty, and I don't want that to be taken away.

And besides, like Sock said, we have enough problems to take care of down here as it is.

Moon colonisation = Good idea.

My thoughts exactly. And if overpopulation is an issue, then we have to stop it, but if anything kills a human, we kill four of it's species. Now how does this work. Anyway...

It is so wrong to inhabit the moon. We'll kill that rock too and then Earth will die.

Moon is pretty much lifeless rock. We wouldn't be killing anything.

I'm having more issues with costs to make it habitable than the moral of the idea itself. /shrugs

God forbid our sorry asses make it off this planet to live anywhere else habitable! >.< Just the thought of us loose to destroy other worlds... Uh, no.

Edited by MedievalMystic